Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Page 2 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Weakest Action Movie of the Summer

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
1 September 2003

This second movie in the 'Tomb Raider' series was a disapointment for me. I was not a great fan of the first one either. Certainly Angelina Jolie is as sexy as you can get, but there is too little else in her character to make her the female James Bond that the authors of the series want her to be. Even the sentimental track in this second movie does not succeed to make her more real. Director Jan de Bont succeeded much better with the original story in 'Speed' or the reality-TV like effects in 'Twister'. In 'Tomb Raider 2' he is just mixing a potion of James Bond with a little bit of Indiana Jones, without too much of a result. If you did not see it yet, you may as well wait for the DVD. 6/10 on my personal scale.

Jan De Bont, thy name is wasted potential...

Author: mentalcritic from Southern Hemisphere
16 October 2004

When I look at Jan De Bont's resumé, I think of all the brilliant Dutch projects he has worked upon, and then I think of the films he has directed in America. The gulf between the two is such that even the less discerning can't help but be amazed. This is, after all, the guy who worked alongside one of Holland's favourite sons, the legendary Paul Verhoeven, on such indisputable triumphs as Turks Fruit or Flesh + Blood. To call directing such dreck as Speed or Tomb Raider 2 a comedown is a form of flattery.

Lara Croft, Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life, also proves one of a certain critic's rules regarding appreciating film based on their titles. The rule basically states that the longer the title is, the worse the film will be. Just as RoboCop, clocking in at a mere seven characters, is one of the greatest films the American film industry has ever been blessed with, Tomb Raider 2's full title clocks in at a whopping forty-two. Believe me, the quality level indicated by this under the aforementioned rule is very much in force here.

A classic example of this film's idiocy is when Lara, bleeding from one leg and stranded outside an underwater crypt, punches a shark in the face before riding on his back and finding a quiet place to sleep out on the ocean for an unspecified period. I'm no expert on sharks, but I would have thought that the impediment to motion that being under several hundred feet of water poses would make a punch in the face feel to a shark what a light poke in the nose would feel to us under normal circumstances. Not to mention the fact that, after lying out in such a large body of water for so long with an open wound, at least another shark is bound to come along sooner or later.

One area where Jan deserves credit is that I've never seen him resort to the use of shaky-cam. Thankfully, directors of European origin saw right through the party line that this puts the audience into the action, and realized that it does nothing of the kind. As a result, while many shots are too close for comfort during action sequences, they are at least stable enough that one can make sense of the actors' motions. The fight scene choreography is of such a quality that it doesn't need to be hidden from the audience.

Angelina Jolie seems to have a lock on strong woman characters that are so generic she can portray them all alike, yet she does this template so well that at least this audience member fails to notice. The problem here is that every character in this film is so generic that you cannot help but notice. Jolie's acting is never that brilliant, but she looks like Anna Paquin next to Gerard Butler. Noah Taylor is another classic example of a reason why I am not surprised that Australian entertainers rarely manage to get out of the isolation tank that is Australia. Seriously, this guy could be reading a description of Angelina's naked body and bore the hell out of me.

I gave Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life a two out of ten. Don't mistake this to mean that it is necessarily better than the films I gave a one out of ten. When I give something a two out of ten, that means its mediocrity makes it seem like a deliberate waste of a good hundred million. Aside from Angelina Jolie in skin-tight lycra and a clever twist ending, there ain't nothing to see here, folks.

Gerry ::Tear::

Author: (writetoact@aol.com) from United States
4 October 2005

Personally I have to admit that I loved the movie. It is definitely better then the first and I love the Tomb Raider series. I play the games and I think that they capture the true essence of Lara Croft on screen. Angelina Jolie does an amazing job as Lara Croft and I don't think that they could ever choose anyone besides her. Gerard Butler also does an amazing job. It was the first film I ever saw him in and I was instantly in love with the way he was acting. I don't usually cry in films but for some reason his are the ones that actually get me too. When Terry dies my eyes were welling up with disappointment(not in Gerry's acting). I give two thumbs up to Gerard's acting and only wish that I could let everyone know how wonderful an actor he is in this movie and all of his others. Bravo!

Great action packed film!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
15 March 2004

Minor Spoilers.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life is a great movie! Its arguably better than the first one! Angelina Jolie is great in it and it is so amazing that she does her own stunts! I think she is perfect for this role and that she is a fine actress! Gerard Butler was also good! His character is neat and his build and accent makes it cool! I thought he and Jolie worked very good together through out the film! He is a very good actor! I also thought that Ciarán Hinds and Djimon Hounsou performed good too! Good special effects. The film has an incredible amount of action! The part where Reiss and his men have Croft prisoner was believe it or not on the scary side! Great suspense! The Shadow Guardians were awesome! That scene where the monsters attack rulez! The music is by one of the greatest composers in My opinion and one of My favorites Alan Silvestri! Very good theme! This is My favorite of the two Tomb Raider films! I really like these and I hope that they will make at least one more and that Angelina Jolie plays Lara once more because she was born for this great role in My opinion! Excellent film! Strongly recommended!

Good story, cast and locations

Author: phd_travel from United States
14 November 2012

This sequel is well done. Liked the use of the locations in Santorini, Hong Kong, Africa etc. The director made unique interesting use of the places.

The cast is top notch. Gerard Butler has chemistry with Angelina but his accent is a bit too thick in some parts to understand. Cirian Hinds is a dignified enough villain. Djimon Honsu is good in an real authentic looking African role.

For those who didn't like the first movie so much, this is quite different. It's grander feeling. So it's a good follow up since it departs on the first one instead of rehashing it.

Overall one of the more enjoyable action adventure movies.

Good as entertainment

Author: Lyceus from Madrid, Spain
21 September 2006

This is a good action and adventures movie. It's really unrealistic, but who cares? Most stunts wouldn't be in the movie if it wasn't a video-game adaptation, but it doesn't matter - and they make the movie more enjoyable! Angelina Jolie is a great Lara Croft. She's a mix between Indiana Jones and Xena, and she reminds me of the TV heroine Sydney Fox in "Relic Hunter" (Sydney is obviously inspired in Tomb Raider's Lara). The other actors are OK, I don't really got impressed but I doubt the movie pretended that. The plot is in fact quite interesting, although not original at all (the evil guy wants to earn millions of dollars by selling a powerful biological weapon which is kept in Pandora's box). The places Lara visits (Greece, China, Africa...) are beautiful and are good choices (I love when she rides in her motorbike on the Great Chinese Wall). The end was good, I didn't think Lara would kill his mate in order to keep the world safe from Pandora's box.

To sum up, a very good movie if you just want entertainment.

Adventures and action-packed in charge of a video-game heroine

Author: ma-cortes
9 May 2005

The movie centers on Lara Croft (Angelina Jolie) who's assigned by the British Intelligence -MI6- to discover the Pandora box that the baddies (Ciaran Hinds and Til Schweiger) want to find with the purpose of ruling the world . She's helped by an imprisoned mercenary (Gerard Butler) that will be freed and two sympathetic underlings who appeared in the first part (Noah Taylor and Christhopher Barrie) . They'll have to confront amount of dangers , adventures and risks until reach their aims .

It's a run-of-the-mill action film because from the beginning to the final the frenetic action and fast movement is continued . The picture blends emotion , intrigue , thriller , suspense , rip-roaring scenes and a little bit of violence when the fights happen . It's a film pretty bemusing . It's a typical modern action film : continuous struggles in leaps and bounds , running men while are shooting and interminable pursuits . Besides , there are spellbound landscapes of various countries where the starring are travelling around the world to resolve the enigmas . The ending confrontation amongst the protagonists and enemies on the Kilimanjaro's skirts is breathtaking . The picture is similar to previous part with the difference in this latter there is a adventure chum (Gerard Butler) playing a type of ¨buddy movie¨ . Thus , the storyline is basically a rehash of the former picture . Just as in the first film, there are several scenes in which the live-action Lara mimics the computer game version, in particular a scene in which she climbs around a pagoda and pole-vaults to a helicopter , she also takes a nasty fall as the animated Lara was prone to do . The film attained moderated success at box office , less than the first , and not as good as the anterior . I don't know if the producers are going to make a third part .

David Tattersall's cinematography is glittering and glimmer as reflected on the awesome and impressive outdoors in charge of the production design by Petruccelli . Alan Silvestri's music is atmospheric and marvelous. The motion picture was well directed by Jan de Bont (Speed). It's very spectacular , it's a film for adrenaline lovers . The yarn will appeal to Angelina Jolie and Lara Croft videogames fans.

This is the real point...a woman in charge!

Author: kafkatoo from Toronto, Ontario
1 August 2003

Having read many of the reviews, I was quite surprised that major points were overlooked. I'll give you some personal background which will help clarify where I am coming from. I'm a father of three daughters and I'm always looking for good role models for my girls. I've also just recently heard a documentary on date rape on CBC radio and was appalled. The usual question came up: is date rape a societal issue or a result of exploitive media? Well I think it's mostly societal and the media is a window into that world. Violence against women starts the minute a male discovers that he can exert power over a female and get what he wants with impunity. Yes men have greater physical strength and women are known for stamina.

Now for the movie. I took my middle daughter, aged 10, and was glad I took the risk. Here was a role model, Lara Croft, who was in total control of her life and had a solid moral code. She has brains and she has brawn. Not once does she have to use sex appeal to get what she wants. (Yes there are the stolen kisses and a tumble on the floor; but Lara uses Terry's sexual advances in order to confine him for justifiable reasons.) However, most importantly, she is never rescued by a male. I know you may think this is trite or even tripe but I feel that this is important. Films are dominated by males taking command and solving the problems...but let's face it...more often than not...it is also males who are the source of the problem. This was abundantly evident in this film. Yes it may have been preachy but men were the war mongers and they paid the price. Is this really so far fetched from reality? Look at the world now...look at the wars we are now having...but who actually pays the price: the women and children. (Notice also that no women, children nor animals were hurt in this film...is that a bad thing?)

So get off of the fact that you'd have liked to see a little nipple or the fact that Lara Croft seemed like a cartoon cut-out (what about James Bond, Spiderman, etc.) I think that this movie, Cradle of Life TR2, shakes up the status quo and so what of it? This is finally a chick-flick with a vengeance. Men haven't done so well in the last 4,000+ years. I think it's time to give the women a chance.

A girl who does her own stunts

Author: Angelique McCall from United States of America
22 September 2003

What more could you ask for of a female actress? This is truly the 21st century and women superheroes are real not fantasy. This Lara Croft character is put on by a dynamic performance by Angelina Jolie. She truly knows the meaning of live performance. Angelina is truly remarkable in this flick and the last Tomb Raider movie. Anyone who says different has too much time on their hands and would rather think about things that are of no relevance. Life is too short not to like this film. Have a good one!

Nice to see a woman in lead action role!

Author: nhover from United States
1 August 2005

If you're a die hard Indiana Jones fan, or any of those movies that take you all over the world on a great treasure hunt, you will LOVE Tomb Raider! Both movies show a new side to Angelina Jolie, a smart, skilled, self- reliant woman who can kick butt! So the characters don't have 10 dimensions, what person looking to watch a true action flick really CARES if the main character had a rough childhood or not? Not hat it is JUST like those other adventure movies either, yes there native tribesman, booby traps, and lots of bad guys who show up at just the right time, but the places this movie takes you are unique and extremely exotic! Plus when was the last time you saw a movie about Pandora's box, or where the FEMALE lead saves the day? So grab your popcorn and get ready to go for an adventurous ride with Lara Croft, Tomb Raider!

Page 2 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]