IMDb > The Delicate Art of Parking (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Delicate Art of Parking

The Delicate Art of Parking More at IMDbPro »

Still an undiscovered gem for mainstream audiences

Author: cdn moviebuff from canada
2 November 2005

Ah! After seeing this 3x in the movie theatre, I still love it. It's one of those movies that is all-the-more-funnier if there was more than a handful of people watching it. Vancouverites will recognize most locations. Have fun finding all the busiest comedy and stage actors from B.C. in it too. This movie suffered from lack of promotion. What a shame. TV buffs will recognize some actors from Corner Gas in it. There are brilliantly done scenes in this movie. It comes from great writing and acting. You won't doubt the believability of the characters, that's how well the actors immersed themselves in it. The storyline is fresh and unpredictable. It's one of a kind.

My laughter was only matched by my sympathy for Parking Enforcers.

Author: jgc229
22 October 2003

I had the pleasure of watching Trenton Carlson's, The Delicate Art of Parking, at the Vancouver Film Festival. After it won best Canadian Feature at the Montreal Fest, I knew it was gonna be good, but I couldn't stop laughing. I can't look at a Parking Enforcer the same way again. The film was also quite touching though. The director, screenwriter and actors, take us on the emotional journey of these crazy Parking Enforcers. This gives the film another layer to appreciate it on. If you're looking for a smart and intriguing movie to let out some belly laughs to, then keep an eye out for, The Delicate Art of Parking. Until then be sure to plug your meter and don't double park.

Wanna break with formulaic movies? Start here ...

Author: soporific from Sydney, Australia
1 March 2005

How can you review this movie without giving away, and thus spoiling the experience for others, the clever idea employed by the film-makers which makes for an interesting, and at times, fascinating and thrilling story? I'm so glad I came to IMDb AFTER I watched it as, at the time of writing, 50% of the reviews on IMDb for this movie give it away, and 16% allude to it, all without spoiler warnings ... that's naughty, that is! There's only six reviews in total so far (no, not the end of the world ... yet) so just forget everything you've just read and go watch the film already!! After you've finished reading this review, that is.

AT least it's not spelled out anywhere in huge bold letters so maybe people won't pick up on what they're about to watch - but for me, working it out as the film unfolded was a great experience and you're not really sure until the end just to what extent the idea was used. A film that will stick in the mind, for sure.

OK maybe a little on what to expect: The Delicate Art of Parking is a multi-layered film - on the surface its about parking inspectors, but the film's commentary, style and script, not to mention the clever idea, manage to cover a few other bases as well. It's also very, very funny - there weren't any jokes that I could see, its all in the drama. And there's even a mystery to solve!

Please don't avoid watching this film just because you can't fathom that anything about parking inspectors could be interesting. I already made that mistake with 'Fight Club' so trust me that I can see how it would be very easy to do that with this one. Using the occupation of Parking Enforcer to weave a story around is quite a brave move. I don't think the job is enamored much in popular culture. But if you can get past the first five minutes (which will be a bit weird where you wonder what you've got yourself into), you're in for a treat as lots of juicy drama unfolds.

Yay for movies where its obvious they weren't made in Hollywood!! Woo Hoo!! 9 out of 10.

The Delicate art of Parking is like a Spinal Tap for a Best of Show first Feature

Author: Grrdzilla from Canada
17 March 2005

Granted the movie is quite uneven in places and not particularly well made, but I have to say I really loved this little film. A Mockumentary in the best Christopher Guestian tradition.

The premise works very well for me. A failed documentary director with an axe to grind (and $2,000 in unpaid parking tickets and who has just had his car towed) sets out to make a film about the evils of parking enforcement. Instead he encounters the human faces behind enforcement and the divine mission they feel imbued with. Some of those faces are quite a bit less divine than others and they serve as a very amusing counterfoil throughout. The film moves with glee through the director's enlightenment (I am being intentionally ironic here) to a most satisfying conclusion.

Nancy Robertson has some of the best lines ("I can make your legs go numb") and is as much fun in this as she is as Wanda in Corner Gas. Highly recommended with a warning for foul language.

A Brilliant Movie about the Delicate Art of Comedy and Parking

Author: Alex Cavalier from Canada
8 January 2005

Everything about this film was awesome, from the first opening tune on the DVD menu to the last song, "You Ain't Seen Nothing' Yet." The movie is about a young director, Lonny, his high school buddy, Gus and Gus' cousin from Russia making a movie about the lives, and the stigma around parking attendants. It was done in a true "Mockumentary" style, giving it a very well emulated documentary look about it. The film contained a wide array of humor, from dark to satirical. The absence of it having a major Hollywood budget lended itself to the feel also. It is truly brilliant in it's simplicity to convey the point and to keep the viewer entertained. The settings and actual locations gave it a true Canadian feel in the heart of British Columbia. The actors did a perfect job, especially in conveying themselves through body language. It gives you a true feeling of actually watching a documentary. This movie is a must-see for all comedy lover alike.

the way you see parking enforcers will change.

Author: Jesper Carlsson from Sweden
20 November 2004

This film is unique in it's own little way. Trent Carlson And Blake Corbet have done a really good job writing this. The story and the situation is bizarre!

Who would write a movie about parking enforcers? It's perfect! They made it so real. The characters is so strange but in a way that you can relate to.

Think about yourself, going to your car, seeing a Parking Enforcer writing you a ticket. You get angry, right? Start to complain to this guy, that only is doing his job! Now try to see it from his perspective. You cant really?

Watch this movie, i promise you will laugh, and the way you see parking enforcers will really change.

The movie can at first glance be boring. But hold on a while and look at it. It's not that long. And by the time it's over your going to be happy that you didn't shut it off!

That guy needs his head adjusted

Author: johnd-18 from Auckland, NZ
17 July 2008

So it's not the best film ever made, but it is so far away from the worst in my box that I feel compelled to write.

Look at what the independent critics say...today as I write Rotten Toms has it at 78%. That's a good mark. "A funny, poignant piece of meta-movie-making that is a worthy addition to the mockumentary genre" says Cinemania. MovieViews writes "The Delicate Art of Parking is held together because of its strong characters. They're funny, they're quirky and, most of all, they're realistic." That's just two. There's a lot more. So don't assume the worst. Rent it and have a few laughs at situations we've most of us experienced if we drive and park.

Entertaining and Funny despite bad acting and directing

Author: (jeffspilger@hotmail.com) from Alberta, Canada
4 April 2005

I loved the idea for this movie - someone who has racked up almost $3000 worth of unpaid parking tickets and decides to make a documentary movie about it. The brilliant idea for this movie comes from the fact that everyone hates getting parking tickets and most of us think that these parking by-laws just exist as a cash cow.

I always watched with interest whenever they showed one of the officers ticketing a vehicle, then the owner would show up and shout obscenities, or use physical violence, like that delivery truck driver did. They didn't show the part where Murray, the parking officer's supervisor, was run over by an irate motorist whom he ticketed, leaving Murray in a coma. After this incident, the film director asked people on the street what they thought of this, and one guy smugly said "good." A few others felt sorry for him because he was just doing his job.

Although I tend to think that parking bylaws are a cash grab to some extent, I highly respect anyone who chooses to do such a thankless job for a living.

Overall this movie was entertaining and thought provoking, but it definitely showed the work of an amateur filmmaker on a low budget.

The Delicate Art of Parking on Reel 13

Author: eplromeo8 from United States
13 November 2008

Mockumentary as a viable comedic genre was first hinted at by Woody Allen in ZELIG in 1983, more concretely defined the following year by Rob Reiner in THIS IS SPINAL TAP and then made into an art form by SPINAL TAP star Christopher Guest in his recent films, most notably WAITING FOR GUFFMAN (1997). THE DELICATE ART OF PARKING is Reel 13's Canadian effort along those same lines and while it doesn't measure to the standards of those other films, it does boast a moderate amount of cleverness and manages to be mildly entertaining for 90 minutes.

At the midpoint of the film, they introduce a "plot" to the film within the film in which a meter maid guru is viciously attacked by an irate ticketed citizen. This is a little distracting and probably unnecessary, but it goes on to dominate the rest of the film. They were doing fine by just doing portraits of these inane characters and the apparent futility of their occupations. Also, it feels a little contrived that such a dramatic thing would conveniently happen in the middle of a documentary about these characters. It seems to belie the mockumentary structure that was chosen. If you wanted to incorporate a complicated plot, just do a plain old-fashioned comedy and spare us the gimmicks.

With that said, the actors in the film are all very talented and do a great job fleshing out their respective characters. Of particular note is Nancy Robertson as the acid-tongued Harriet Sharpe and Fred Ewanuick as the die-hard parking attendant Grant, who revolves his whole life around his seemingly meaningless job. The level of detail these actors present about their characters is reminiscent of the work done by some of the Christopher Guest ensemble, like Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy. Their characters have an element of silliness to them, but they feel so real and full that they work perfectly within the parameters of the mockumentary genre.

You're probably sensing my ambivalence about the film, which is pretty much true. I often find it difficult to fall in love with comedies in general because most of them are throwing jokes at you non-stop, but most are only truly funny for a part of the time. So, like the other film this week – ONE, TWO, THREE - even if a film makes you laugh a few times, that means it is probably failing to make you laugh the rest of the time, which lessens the overall impact of the film. THE DELICATE ART OF PARKING is a perfect example. While it is never riotous, it has a great deal of charm and good intentions. The very idea of a mockumentary about meter maids is funny by itself, even if it has very few moments of hilarity.

(For more on this or any other Reel 13 film, check out their website at www.reel13.org)

'mockumentary' on parking enforcers

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
5 March 2007

here we have a 'mockumentary'(fake documentary)on the people who enforce the parking laws.you know who i mean.you leave your car,and come back to it,only to find that nice little piece of paper on it.you know the 1 that says you have to pay a fine because you parked 30 seconds too long at the metre,or you parked half an inch to far from the curb.well the movie is about the people who put those nice pieces of paper on the windshield,i person in particular.this person's name is Grant,and Grant is of the opinion that his job is very important.it is a public service,and to hear him talk about it,akin to curing disease.they even have a 'guru'of parking enforcement named Murray which they revere very highly,like a god.they even spout philosophical drivel from the man himself.this movie should be funny,but it isn't.it is mildly amusing(and i do mean mildly)at best.there is nothing profound in this movie,that i can see.i wouldn't recommend renting it,but if you see it on TV,and you have nothing else to do,it will serve as a diversion for around 90 minutes.it is less than 90 minutes,and it does go by quickly,so that is a plus.others may find some this movie hysterical and even 'deep'but for me,it is average entertainment at best.'my vote for 'The Delicate art of Parking'? 5/10