IMDb > American Cousins (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Good for the Mafia, bad for Glasgow

Author: breaklikeagirl from Glasgow, Scotland
30 March 2005

I feel I have to comment on this film purely to correct the comment below. None of the characters are traditionally Irish, as the film is set in Scotland. Dear me.

American Cousins is a nice wee film. It didn't take itself too seriously, which is good as it was a little hammy & far fetched, particularly towards the end. Overall, the story was interesting - funny in places, heartbreakingly sad in others.

It's a mafia film set in Glasgow (that would be Scotland). My only complaint is that it makes Glasgow look so backward, - dated, cultureless & empty. Glasgow is (like everywhere else in Scotland) every bit as modern as America or any other country but the hospital, café...everywhere in the film was dingy & dated.

However, the cast were good, their acting carried the story (apart Stevan Rimkus, who was cringe-worthy to watch as JoJo) & the story was touching in places. A good film to pop on when you feel like some light entertainment.

Beautiful,heart-warming film

Author: xerxes56 from Where the skies are blue
1 February 2004

Beautiful,heart-warming film.That shows, that the true love of a man can't be stopped by any misfortune in the world. Shirley Henderson´s performance is just wonderful and Gerald Lepkowski does a great job playing the hard-working , forlorn Italian with the biggest heart on earth.

Not too good

Author: janar_ks from Estonia
23 January 2004

It was definitely worth viewing, I don't regret that. But also it was kind of ordinary. Something, that I would expect from a movie titled like that. Love story was nice to watch. Humour was involved, but nothing surprised or spooked me. Shooting, "tough guys" etc. ain't worth it any more.

A total rip-off.

Author: imdb-17862 from Canada
26 March 2007

This film may be great, but it is a complete ripoff of Bill Forsythe's Comfort and Joy. c&j is one of the sweetest films I've ever seen without becoming diabetic.

It's OK if you do like it, but realize that EVERYTHING in this film is a direct rip-off.

The original is http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0087072 I can recommend almost anything by forsythe - Local Hero, Gregory's Girl, That Sinking Feeling. I better go rent some tonight. Local Has a young Peter Capaldi, and an old Burt Lancaster.

Unfortunately he's given up film-making after some really crappy Hollywood treatment. Sad.

Absolute Trash

Author: pete001 from Shetland Islands
24 February 2004

Honestly, i went and watched this film on the recommendations and good score shown here at imdb. I laughed all the way thru this film, not because it was funny, not because it was quirky and charming, but because it was one of the worst movies I have EVER seen. Now you may say that this is being harsh, but I've seen Police Academy Mission to Moscow and that has more redeeming qualities than this film.

Even the fact that this film is based in Scotland, the beautiful country that I am from, that didn't help it. The whole plot was ludicrous, Italian mobsters with a weak family link to some people in Scotland go to stay with them at a chip shop. They even begin to work there, battering fish etc. just so laughable.

I would rant on more but I can't be bothered as this film isn't worth bothering about.

LEAVE IT ALONE!

go see if you get the chance

Author: peek123 from Glasgow, Scotland
28 November 2003

All in all a nicely constructed film with some strong performances, although it seems to depict Scotland as an old fashioned out of date country, minor problem , its worth a look if you can ever find it on anywhere, I saw it as a one off in Glasgow where the film was shot and I feel it should get a chance.go see it for Scottish cinema.go see it for the British film industry.

Like a made for TV movie

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
20 August 2007

I let my wife pick the movies out, usually at a chain called Rogers. American cousins is of the quality of a made for TV movie. My wife rented the movie for they had one of HBO's 'Soprano's' on it. That is the hook to rent the movie and the 'Soprano's guy only made a small appearance in it. OK acting and directing. The viewer learns more about Scotland from watching the film. If you are going rent 2 movies this is the second one when you watch when you are tired and want to get sleepy. Entertaining enough, but not memorable. 5 out of 10. There is a romance in it, which my wife liked. This is not 'Snatch'. I think the lake they visited in the movie was used in a couple rock videos.

Stereotypes..... and how to break them

Author: bluenotejazz
28 January 2004

I like the way this movie tackled the subject and how it played out on the screen.

While the two gangsters were very typical, cut from the same cloth one would expect them to be, and even willing to resolve problems the only way they knew how, still they were taught a valuable lesson. On the other hand, while yet maintaining their Italian roots, the 'cousins' were very much Irish and followed their own traditions and values. Following real life, sometimes the misguided perceptions of those outside of a group can be so pervasive, that even those belonging to that same group adopt those ideas about themselves. They then turn around and judge their peers within the group using the same measuring stick, wrong as it is. Anyone who strays away from that is looked at as strange or even worse ostracized. The 'stamp collecting' scene is one good example of this.

Otherwise the movie was good with competent acting. The subtlety of the emotions of the characters as they progressively learned more about themselves from their cousins was quite well done by the lead actors - even Dan Hedaya toned down some of the usual facial Dan Hedayaisms. While it was based on the same love triangle theme seen a jillion times before, it was done differently here and in a unique setting - at least to us North Americans. Check it out.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]