IMDb > When in Rome (2002/I) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

not Good

Author: calamine_lotion from Manila, Philippines
12 April 2004

I have seen most of the Olsen films, and in my opinion, the movies they have made when they were younger were better than their later movies. Generally because they were younger then, so the plots looked cuter to the audience. But now, the movies are rather immature and very unrealistic, viewers can't identify the plots with real life.

My comment on When In Rome goes the same for all of their later movies. The characters they portray are almost always 'perfect'-beautiful, smart, trendy, well-off- as if all of us in real life are perfect. Why can't they play more stereotypical roles who fight in life to overcome their flaws? Also, they always meet boys in every place they go who automatically likes them. And what's queer is that, the boys always come in pairs, be they brothers, friends, etc. Also, the conflicts in the plots are solved rather easily and most of the conflicts are lame.

Now that they are older, they might want to make some differences in their movie making, such as starring in separate movies, more intelligent plots, things like that. Honestly, if they continue with their own way of making movies, they're gonna get nowhere. Note: These are my own opinions, and this is a free country.

Author: LancerGirl238 from Texas
9 July 2003

I must say that this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was exactly like all of their other movies. They want an internship in Rome, they get it. They get to wear really nice clothes and run into TWO, not one, cute boys. These "movies" are an excuse for MKA to go to a foreign country on someone else's money, do a little "acting" and kiss cute guys. The acting is terrible, you cant forget you are watching a movie. If the Olsen twins are so "great" then why aren't they featured in magazines or make movies that go out in theaters? They've played two ditzy girls with perfect lives in everything they've made since Full House. They need to do more dramatic roles where *gasp* life isn't perfect. Or take on separate roles.

NOT good!

Author: veggi_chan from United Kingdom
16 June 2005

For the love of god please don't see this movie! Its a waste of time, the plot is predictable, as are the romantic scenes. Trying to build too much with very little, this film and its evil predictable villain is just lame. The characters aren't developed, and most of the film is padded out with shots of Rome, which is much more interesting than the actual film. To top all of that, the acting is a disgrace. I know everyone tries to find their niche, but this is truly a disaster. I can't believe that someone actually paid however many millions of pounds to put this film on screen. Don't waste money or time on this film, go see your grandma or something worthwhile instead.

When in Rome Starring Mk and A

Author: ms_bunni from Canada
12 June 2005

This movie, was quite boring. I love Mk and A, and I'm one of their greatest fans, but the plot and problem? Pretty lame. There was no excitement at all. None! It was pretty cool they chose to do the movie in Rome though, and I like seeing the sights of Rome. I think they looked beautiful in this movie. It looked natural and not too overdone. Once again, with the boys? Maybe their movie should stop being about traveling the world and solving mysteries and more about teenage stuff, which teenagers might like to watch. It wasn't a disappointment, but not something I would jump up and down screaming about either. I still support Mk and A as actors, but I think their purpose of the movies and the point of watching, should take a turn of maybe turning into something more exciting.

It's just a bunch of stuff that happens

Author: Rachel ( from San Jose, CA
22 March 2003

This movie really has no beginning or end. And it's really VERY unbelievable. Mary-K and Ashley are supposed to be interns working in a mailing room for an Italian fashion company. But, for some reason, they're put up in a 5-star hotel (conveniently located across the street from the Coliseum), and all of the other interns they work with are just as abnormally model-looking as they are. One thing that I found obvious in this movie is the way that one of the twins DOESN'T end up with the guy. I guess they tried to twist their usual plot a bit. Nice try.

complete and absolute rubbish

Author: looneygal from India
9 April 2005

OK, this has got 2 be one of the worst excuses 4 a movie that i have ever had the misfortune of watching. Like all other Olsen twins movies with the possible exception of new york minute , this film had no story, gaping plot holes,disgustingly putrid acting and bad filming even!!!!!!!!! in case you haven't guessed yet I HATE MARY KATE AND ASHLEY!!!!!! The only reason i watched this was because i was really bored and nothing else was on. I wonder if the twins will EVER stop making the same stereotypical movies where they have an unbelievably stupid adventure in an exotic location and save the day meanwhile getting the help of two cute guys who drool over them immediately. The least they could would be to have a guy 4 1 of them or have them both falling 4 the same guy. The plot in this story was so imbecilic and just plain dumb. even a toddler could see the flaws in it.Maybe they should split up and start making films individually or maybe films with a different kind of story. Anyone who liked this movie was no offense-either really stupid, really artificial or has not seen any really good movie. or maybe they are really smart and just have bad cinematic choices. either way i would not recommend this movie to my worst nemesis for a good movie experience.. the only thing it is good 4 is some rib splitting laughter at the pathetic attempts to be cool. if you watch for laughs it's hilarious. basically i give it 0 or less.

The olsens should be banned from Hollywood. Forever.

Author: ( from Bradenton, Florida
22 December 2002

No ,I'm not kidding. If they ever propose a movie idea, they should be kicked out of the studio. I'm serious. Their movies are exactly the same in every one, and they only consist of traveling to foreign locations, having a problem which they easily resolve, hoping to be popular, and getting new boyfriends. Think about it. If you have ever seen a movie starring them with a different plot, contact me and tell me its name. These "movies" are poor excuses to be on TV and go to other countries. There is a reason that the movies never go to theaters. I'm sure that when they were really young and made some O.K. movies, some studio boss bought all their rights for 15 years, or something, so that now that they're, what, 17, they can make movies in other countries whenever they want using the studio's money. Let me advise you, STAY AWAY FROM MARY-KATE AND ASHLEY! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!

When in a Fantasy World

Author: stemff from USA
29 December 2002

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS>BEWARE When in Rome was a traditional MK&A film. I am actually a MK&A fan. I like When in Rome and others. These are the types of movies that are so terribly fake that you can't resist a sly remark or two, but you secretly wish that their life on screen was yours. At least for a couple of weeks until you got sick of the 24-7 stylish clothes, perfect hair and [sometimes] gorgeous guys hanging around you all the time. Maybe not the guy part... The last two films, especially "Getting There" (possibly one of their worst) seemed to lack a bit of writing. The story lines are never too thought provoking, but come on. How many times can you get fired and re-hired in one movie? It seems like for Getting There and When in Rome, they just let the girls go ad-lib a whole movie, instead of taking the time to make the movies half way interesting. I really can't wait to see what happens when these girls break away from their "adventure" movies and (if they can) get casted for some movies that actually require acting. Not to burn the girls too much, I enjoyed (and still do) Winning London and Holiday in the Sun very much, just enough fantasy world to keep me going in the real one.

not that great

Author: ChErRy
24 April 2003

this movie is not that great because the plots in all the movies are pretty much the same. the movies they did when they were younger were much better, but as they got older they started to write their own scripts so then it's not as great. although i like them and mostly watch the movies because i like the clothes they wear, i think they're bad actors. they should be the bad guys for once or change the plot. i heard they're making another movie and that's going to be their they should make it different and make a name for themselves.

Typical Mary Kate & Ashley fare...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
7 December 2002

1st watched 12/7/2002 - 3 out of 10(Dir-Steve Purcell): Typical Mary Kate & Ashley fare with a few more kisses. It looks to me like the girls are getting pretty tired of this stuff and it will be interesting what happens to them if they ever decide to split up and go there own ways. In this episode of their adventures they are interns in Rome for a `fashion' designer who puts them right into the mailroom to learn what working hard is all about(I guess..). Besides the typical flirtations with boys there is nothing much else except the Rome scenario until about ¾ way into the movie when it's finally revealed why they are getting fired, then re-hired, then fired again, then re-hired again. This is definetly made by people who don't understand the corporate world and it shows in their interpretation of it. Maybe the real world will be their next adventure(if there is one.). Even my kids didn't seem to care for this boring `adventure' in the make-believe. Let's see they probably only have a couple of years till their legal adults. We'll see what happens then.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]