A great show that needs to be released on DVD

Author: scudpool-1 from United States
19 March 2006

I was pretty young when this came out in the US, but I recorded it from TV and watched it over and over again until I had the whole thing memorized. To this day I still catch myself quoting it. The show itself was hilarious and had many famous characters, from Frank Sinatra, to Sylvester Stallone, to Mr. T. The voices were great, and sounded just like the characters they were portraying. The puppets were also well done, although a little creepy. I was surprised to find out just recently that it was written by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor of Red Dwarf, a show that I also enjoy very much. Like another person had written in a comment earlier, I too was robbed of this great show by a "friend" who borrowed it and never returned it. I sure wish there was enough demand for this show to warrant a DVD release, but I don't think enough people have heard of it. Oh well, maybe I'll try e-bay...

So long ago...

Author: mathobi-1 from Switzerland
8 March 2006

It was in 1988, when I saw "The Ronnie and Nancy Show" for the first time (on Austrian television). At that time, I was already a very big fan of Spitting Image (since when it won the bronze rose of the Montreux Film Festival in 1986). Of course I recorded every show on tape and watched it again and again - especially "The Ronnie and Nancy Show". I remember that scene when Ronnie stood in front of a painting of Abraham Lincoln (thinking it was a mirror) and said to himself "I need a shave". Or most amusing of all, when he played ball with his dog - but vice-versa!

It's such a shame, that Spitting Image seems to fall into oblivion; it was one of the most fantastic and most intelligent made TV-shows ever. Compared to other satirical broadcasts it was definitely the best of all.

Well, almost 20 years have passed since then, and I wish I could see the show again. Is it possible to purchase it from someone... somewhere?

One of the funniest shows of all time!

Author: Deb Sullivan (dgsullivan@adelphia.net) from Pennsylvania, USA
6 June 2004

I believe that this is one of the funniest satire shows ever made. I have watched it and watched it over and over. I video taped the show the first time it aired here in the USA. I loaned the video tape to a friend and never got it back. Some friend! The friend claims someone else took it from his house, which I really don't believe but either way I don't have my tape. I really miss being able to watch the show. Does anyone out there in the world know how I can get a copy of the show? It doesn't matter if it is DVD or video. I would even take a copy from any one. I would of course pay all expenses for tapes and shipping and handling. Thanks a lot!

A great episode

Author: prpc1982 from United States
26 November 2006

I used to love watching this. I had no idea it was part of a larger series. I must have been 6 or so at the time it was on TV. I just thought it was funny and for some reason I had a deep fascination for something that was clear that was in the president's pile of bathtub toys. My parents had taped this off of TV when it originally aired on NBC. The tape even had the old Sanka coffee commercial along with a few others. I'm planning on returning home sometime soon and will try to record the tape onto my computer so that those who want a copy can do so. If anyone of you would like to contact me, I think you can do that through the IMDb site feel free. I will keep you updated and let you know when I have the show in a digital format.

CBS

Author: dcyspm from Toronto
11 November 2003

It's fantastic. Even an exception to the puppet use, Iran-Contra (sort of like Kissinger's peace prize, and Nixon's "I am not a crook" speech) is too silly for satire.

I don't know why CBS went to the research and effort of shooting a Reagan doc, this one pretty much covers the main points.