IMDb > Chasing Papi (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chasing Papi

Chasing Papi More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Silly and contrived, but lots of fun

Author: MovieLuvaMatt from New Jersey
5 September 2003

The movie was obviously attempting to be like one of the classic screwball romantic comedies. It succeeds in the style, but not exactly the comedy. Don't get me wrong, there are laughs, but it could've been a lot funnier. I blame part of the failed comic attempts on the writing and part on the actors. They should've just filmed the movie in Spanish. Some of the Hispanic actors really seemed to struggle with the English dialogue. In comedy, it's all about timing, so the expression of the dialogue must be on target. I give the actors points for effort, but all that hard work could've been spared if they spoke in their native language.

I think what mainly makes the film work for me is the fast pace. Despite how silly each situation is, the pace is fast enough to prevent you from dwelling on the silliness. Plus, seeing three beautiful Latina women strut their stuff throughout doesn't hurt either. I saw Sofia Vergara before in "Big Trouble," but she looks different in the movie and I might not have remembered from that previous film because well...I'm trying not to remember it period. It was one of the worst comedies I've ever seen! "Chasing Papi" gives her a much better outlet for her talent. She has got to be THE most beautiful women I've ever seen! Whenever I see her on screen, I feel like Jim Carrey in "The Mask" when he was watching Cameron Diaz do that musical number. If my jaw could literally drop like his character, that would be my exact reaction. I mean, she makes Roselyn Sanchez pale in comparison, and saying a hell of a lot.

All I can say is the film is a lot of fun. I'm surprised by the extremely low rating. And by the way, Paul Rodriguez has a funny cameo, playing similar to the Michael Caine role in "Miss Congeniality."

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Silly and Forgettable, But Entertaining

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 July 2007

The successful and handsome wolf executive Thomas Fuentes (Eduardo Verástegui) has three sexy Latin girlfriends: in Miami, the waitress Cici (Sofía Vergara); in Chicago, the intellectual lawyer Lorena (Roselyn Sanchez); and in New York, the "daddy's girl" Patricia (Jaci Velasquez). When the three women decide to visit him in Los Angeles, Thomas is in a big trouble.

"Chasing Papi" is a silly, forgettable and predictable comedy that entertains mostly because the central lead trio is composed by extremely beautiful and sexy women. This enjoyable movie is indicated for a Sunday afternoon for killing time. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Confusões Amorosas" ("Confusions of Love")

Watch it twice--it gets better.

Author: (john.rinck@xilinx.com) from Hollister, CA
14 October 2003

I was attracted to this movie after seeing Sofia Vergara on one of the late night talk shows. Anyway, after watching her interview, "Chasing Papi" became a must see, but I didn't actually see it until this week when it hit Pay-per-View.

I have to admit that the first time I watched it I was a bit dismayed that the plot seemed thin, but being that virtually every scene involved Sofia, I really didn't care. You can look at her a thousand times and each time you will will see something new that makes her appear even more beautiful.

So naturally I watched the movie again, and this time I noticed that the movie flowed a bit better and that the plot wasn't as thin as I originally thought it was. Couple that with Sofia looking better than in the first viewing, and I can only surmise that this movie will get BETTER with each repeated viewing.

I know what my schedule is like for the rest of the year!

Fun and playful movie - NOT to be taken seriously!!!

Author: tampa_tech from Tampa
25 January 2004

I've read some the reviews that people made in regards to this movie and all I can say is take it easy - this movie DOES NOT deplict the average latino but it does reflect a funny view to the Casanova that is actually a nice guy who actually falls for 3 different ladies.

If this movie was made with pure white/anglo/european actors and it was called Chasing Stud - I'm sure the anglo community wouldn't be so agitated by the flick.

In the DVD the director mentioned that that she wanted to capture the goofy and fun-loving interaction from the movies in the 60's like What's Up Doc with Barbara Stresan and she succeeded with this movie.

As a latino - I do not find this movie at all offensive to my latin culture (Puerto Rican/Colombian) and everyone (family/friends)I talked to about this movie found it to be cute and funny.

So, sit back, watch, crack up and enjoy the movie!!!!1

CHASING PAPI....A SWEET AND ROMANTIC COMEDY!!!!

Author: julian_tash from San Francisco
16 April 2003

Ah yes, finally the long awaited `Chasing Papi' as finally came out.

The film stars Rosalyn Sanchez, Sofia Vergara and Jaci Velasquez as three feisty Latinas..one is a Cocktail waitress, Ceci, (Sofia Vergara), a lawyer for the people, Lorena,(Rosalyn Sanchez) and a rich spoiled brat who is naïve to the world, Patricia (Jaci Velasquez). They are all in love and want to marry the same man Tomas (Eduardo Verastegui), who is stressing out cause of the many relationship...

When the three women want to surprise their love with a surprise visit all hell breaks loose. Tomas starts to really stress and he takes too man tranks and falls asleep for a really long time.and the girls are trying to figure out what to do..

I found the movie to be very funny and the actresses were very beautiful. The movie is predicable and the dialog is a little lame, but it is entertaining and there are a few surprises.I smiled and found myself really enjoying it.

I am glad that this film was made. It is cool to see a Romantic Comedy have an all Latin cast and it was good to see Latinas being successful in life, rather then just being a maid or some illegal.

I recommend it! I will post some pics from the film!

Rated PG for suggestive humor!

Good laughs, Hot women, but could've been funnier

Author: tical4202002 from Tampa, Florida
19 September 2003

I rented this movie last week and I thought it was pretty good. The three female leads in the film were beautiful. The movie had a few laughs but some of the actors could've been funnier, like D.L. Hughley. If any of you have seen any of his stuff you know he could've been funnier in this film. I know exactly what Tomas was going through in the movie so his character kind of hit close to home. It was great to see Paul Rodriguez in this movie as he had me laughing my butt off the time he was on screen. Overall I thought it was pretty good but this movie was played a little too safe. The plot about the money in the car and the ending where they learned that they don't need a man and become independent are basic but enjoyable. I would recommend this to any couple looking for a good movie to watch. Guys will dig it and so will the girls. I would definitely watch it again, maybe buy it.

Cute

Author: mmereos from Miami Beach, FL
14 September 2003

Obviously this movie would have been terrible without the attractive women, but it was still very entertaining. I'm surprised at people that gave this movie a score of 1, I don't know what people expected of this movie but it was exactly what I expected, and cute comedy with a somewhat very thin plot with some fun times. Nothing more.

Entertaining and funny

Author: anical from United States
22 February 2006

Okay so I saw this movie last week and from reading reviews and what not I was expecting it too be painful to watch. Not at all! I thought it was funny and I saw no negative stereotypes whatsoever I've read something saying the plot was all over the place...umm no. If you pay attention you'll get it. I have A.D.D. and it wasn't challenging for me.I'm a fan of Sofia Vergara and I thought she was hilarious. Roselyn Sanchez and Jaci Velasquez were also great and they really worked well together and with Eduardo. I must admit though I also watched it with commentary on and its even, their super funny and you can tell they really enjoyed each other. Its entertaining!

Chasing Papi Review

Author: vadirtysouth42 from United States
3 August 2005

I can't sit still to watch many movies. Yet, this one I could. Reason number one, three hot latina women. I love latina women. Reason number two.. ehh none. It is pretty entertaining. Each of the three women have very distinct personalities. One values beauty, the other education, and the other culture. Also each one is from a different city. The man, Tomas is dating three different women. Somehow all three women end up at his house, when he trys to explain his situation, he falls out under a tranquilizer pill he took before. Then the women see a 4th woman looking in the house, and think she is a 4th woman. She is really an FBI agent. The movie's good points are some animated cut scenes which you cant tell if they are geared for kids or adults, some Spanish words. I enjoyed that given I am almost fluent in Spanish. The end gets somewhat cartoonish... I won't spoil it. But if you like Spanish culture, or pretty latina women, you should not be bored with it, also it is kid friendly.

'Chasing Papi' is innocuous and fun, but ultimately laughless

Author: kibler@adelphia.net (jere816@verizon.net) from PA
1 September 2003

Chasing Papi (2003) Roselyn Sanchez, Sofia Vergara, Jaci Velasquez, Eduardo Verastequi, Lisa Vidal, Freddy Rodriguez, D.L. Hughley, Maria Conchita Alonso, D: Linda Mendoza.

Inoffensive but underwhelming Latin comedy about a handsome Romeo working as an advertising executive and dating three beautiful women in three different states all at once. When they are convinced to drop everything they're doing and race to their man's side, all three women discover of his betrayal and get wrapped up in a quandary together.

If it weren't for a plot about a bag of money, this silly story wouldn't go anywhere. It's fun, but a smile is the closest thing you'll find to a single laugh.

Running Time: 80 minutes and rated PG for mild sensuality and language.

RATING: ** (out of ****)