IMDb > Mike's New Car (2002) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mike's New Car

Mike's New Car (V) More at IMDbPro »

Manic and funny but mostly for kids

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 September 2003

With the money from his new found fame and success, Mike buys a brand new powerful car to replace his old one. With state of the art gadgets and controls, Mike is eager to show it off to Sully. However this car is a little more complex than his last model.

When I borrowed the Monsters Inc DVD off some friends I was impressed by the sheer number of extras on it, whether the tv spots or the weird Japanese games or the outtakes etc. Of all the things additional to the movie, this short is the second best extra (the best being the musical `Put That Thing Back Where it Came From Or So Help Me').

Although it relies much more on physical humour than the film does I must admit to still being tickled by it. It appealed to the toddler audience a lot more simply because there were no real `over the head' jokes aimed at adults and not at the kids – plus it involved one character being hurt!

Overall I enjoyed this short and, when I watch Monsters Inc with any young relatives, I always make sure that the musical and this short are part of the viewing agenda.

Shockingly unoriginal

Author: sashank_kini-1 from India
30 August 2011

Mike's New Car is perhaps the worst short to be featured before Monsters Inc, a touching and original movie with a unique plot. Mike, the one-eyed side-kick to the big-hearted and fuzzy Sullivan gets a new 6 wheeled car that follows the principle 'Everything that can go wrong does go wrong'. So, everything from the seat to the engine, the windscreen, the mirror give a problem and Mike loses it.

Now the thing with a Pixar short is that it has to aim for the jugular in its first attempt. If it does not manage to pull the audience in the first attempt, it fails to a certain extent since most of the audience goes for a Pixar film not to analyze the film in terms of a film critic. The instant reaction to this short from me was 'Oh, this is predictable!'. Katedra, another contender at the Oscars failed to impress me on the first go but turned out to be fascinating on my second viewing. But it was a cryptic film made to be interpreted only after repeated viewings. Am I going to watch Mike's New Car again for interpretations? No, because I know that if I watch it again, I will be even more disappointed. The humor in the film does not work, as its tired. The music reminds me of a 60s sitcom where a lady in a simple dress waves her hand and meets neighbors- too goody-goody! The only humorous part was Sullivan adjusting the front mirror. The animation is competent though, but its Pixar and so that criteria is always fulfilled. But the short is forgettable and unworthy of being placed with the other contenders.

My rating: 4/10

Repetitive at 3 minutes only

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
7 May 2015

I have to say I quite like both Monsters, Inc. movie and this short film came out a year after the first. Basically it is nothing more than a handful slapstick jokes packed into slightly over 3 minutes. The animation is good as always with Pixar and I liked especially how the car had a bit of an evil face which fit nicely the way Mike struggled with it. However, none of these jokes really had the joy or fun that came with the full feature films starring this unusual duo of friends. A third of this short film is only about Sulley adjusting his seat which seems to make Mike very angry for some reason. There is also not a real message in this film, something that usually comes with Pixar. Or maybe the message is that you should go with what has become valuable to you in the past instead of going for something new and shiny? I don't know.

This short film is written and directed by Pixar big name Pete Docter and he got help from Roger Gould and a couple writers who also worked on the first Monsters movie. They managed an Oscar nomination in the animated short film category which makes me shake my head. At least they did not win, although the winner that year is not much better, if at all. "Mike's New Car" is one of Pixar's worst. Not recommended.

A cute film.

Author: cmyklefty from Philadelphia
16 October 2002

I enjoying watching Monsters, Inc. with Sulley and Mike, then seeing them in this short film. It is nice bonus to Monsters, Inc. that Pixar put Mike's New Car with buying or renting on VHS or DVD at your video store. Mike is funny when he and Sulley react to the new car. I like more films with the characters. I will not be surprised if the Mike and Sulley make a special appearance in Finding Nemo at the end of the film in the goofs.

A rather forgettable short

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
14 December 2008

This short animation is about the new car Mike bought. He is proud of it until things go awfully wrong.

"Mike's New Car" is aimed at very young children. To be honest, I do not quite see the attraction of this short. The plot is a simple one, featuring merry mishaps of Mike and Scully while working with the technologically advanced car. It is not particularly hilarious or warm. If this was nominated for an Oscar, then the other shorts must have been very bad, or there were no other shorts.

I find "Mike's New Car" rather forgettable. I have never been a fan of "Monsters Inc", so it may have affected my judgment of this animation.

Short and simple...but not exactly Oscar worthy

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
8 February 2008

Mike and Sully, the two heroes from Pixar/Disney's MONSTERS INC. are back in this short film about Mike's new car. At first, Mike is very, very proud of it, but over time, more and more and more goes wrong--and in the process poor Mike and Sully are bashed to pieces by their overly-gadgeted car.

I saw this film recently in the new DVD of Pixar animated shorts and while it was very pleasant and funny, I was rather shocked to find out it was nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Short Subject--which it lost to the better short film THE CHUBBCHUBBS! Now this isn't knocking MIKE'S NEW CAR--it's well executed and fun. However, it just isn't special enough to be considered much other than perhaps a DVD extra.

See CHUBBCHUBBS!

Funny animated short

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
11 February 2003

As a little extra on 'Monsters, Inc' Disney and Pixar bring us 'Mike's New Car', a terrific animated short film that was nominated for an Oscar. If you liked 'Monsters, Inc.' I see no reason why you should not like this little film. One of the two main characters of 'Monsters, Inc.', Mike (voice by Billy Crystal), has bought a new car. The other main character, Sulley (John Goodman), joins him for a drive. Sort of.

This film is quite funny, especially the ending is hilarious. As with all Disney/Pixar films the animation is perfect. Especially Sulley seems almost like a real creature the way his hair and facial expressions are animated. If you like other films from Disney and Pixar Animation Studios you should not miss this one.

Sometimes Simple Is Better

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 June 2007

This is a quick comment about new cars and all the buttons on them. The "message" being sometimes it was a lot better with a basic simple machines of the past.

"Mike" (Billy Crystal) has a new car he wants to show off to "Sully" so he invites him to take a ride. They never get to the ride because "Sully" (John Goodman) either hits a wrong button or does something to stall things, driving Mike nuts. Poor Mike takes a beating. The cartoon also is a comment on the sometimes-annoying noise the car will make if your seat belts aren't secured.

This animated short came with The "Monsters, Inc." DVD and is a fun four minutes. Mike and Sully, of course, were the stars of the feature film.

P.S. The car is very cool.

One of my least favourite Pixar shorts but cleverly executed

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
8 October 2013

I probably saw this short for the first time 11 years ago when I watched this on the 'Monsters, Inc' DVD and it is brightly coloured like the feature it relates to but it isn't as funny.

The premise, which involves Mike not getting the hang of the car's controls and trying to dissuade Sulley from messing with them, is basic. There are a couple of funny moments, especially Mike phoning Sulley from inside the bonnet and the ending when the airbag inflates off-screen just after Sulley says it didn't go off. The musical score is pleasantly jazzy and the music in the first half sounded like a stripped-down version of the memorable opening music from 'Monsters, Inc,' while the cut-out like versions of Sulley and Mike shown in the beginning and ending titles are cute. Further to the end credits, I like how the dialogue continues with Mike missing his 'old car' and everything about it when Sulley offers to walk him to Monsters, Inc, which links to them walking instead of driving there in the actual film.

Overall this is one of my least favourite feature-related shorts but it has wonderful jazz music, the odd funny moment and clever ideas nonetheless. 7/10.

Favorite Short Movie

Author: jarellano2222 from United States
18 March 2013

My favorite short movie! It's so funny and matches from characters and situations from the feature film. I do not get tired or bored of that short film. I hope they make another short film for Monsters University. I like how they put funny things in Mike's New Car. It released the year after Monsters, Inc., so it was not in the theaters. I would definitely recommend this short film to anyone who hasn't watched it. It would seem crazy that some people haven't seen it, but not everyone sees a movie regardless of popularity. It's the best short film I have ever seen! It's definitely not something to try because of the accidents that really could happen. They need to make more short films like this one!