IMDb > Kingdom Hearts (2002) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A Legend of Fantasy & The Pure Magic of Disney

Author: Tyler_R_Weston (tylerripen@yahoo.com) from Miami, Florida
25 July 2003

Walt Disney was a genius in cartooning. Why? Because he had a talent no one else could possibly have. He had the power to create magic. Not magic as in Bibbidy-Bobbody-Boo. No. This magician's magic was to create another world. A world with magic and where dreams come true. Where creatures could come and go as they please. Where good always triumphs evil. He touched other people's hearts with his characters, ideas, and films. I believe those films came from the heart. It was amazing to watch Alice discover Wonderland or Peter Pan fly or to see Snow White kiss the prince. Then there's Mickey Mouse and his pals. The famous trio of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy always having their funny moments. Disney then brought a miracle to Earth. He brought Disneyland. It's not a miracle just for it's fun entertainment. But because that's the only place where I feel that I don't live in a cruel, demented world and where I can live in the world Disney lived in in his imaginations. He has inspired the whole world to keep his legacy alive. Disney is the kind of man who will live immortally. His imaginations and ideas will always stay in the heart of mine and Disneyland. Fantasia was the classical musical that inspired me totally. But the thing that inspired me the most, was Kingdom Hearts. I said Disney inspired the whole world. Well, he inspired Japan and the USA to team up together to join Disney with Final Fantasy. I must say, the mixture created something sweet. Something I have craved for all my life. Kingdom Hearts has a story that no one could have thought of in their wildest. It took the inspiration of Disney for it to work. Kingdom Hearts has a musical score that makes my inner self cry. The trailer for Kingdom Hearts made me excited but depressed at the same time. Kingdom Hearts is a world with nothing compared to Earth. In Kingdom Hearts, there's darkness, but there's always a happy ending. In the trailer, when Sora was attacked by Sabor, my heart pounded. Then, Tarzan made his heroic appearance. In real life, no one will care for you. But the new trio of Sora, Donald, and Goofy makes a true friendship that will last forever. But why is it that peace and happy endings are found in other worlds? But Kingdom Hearts has taught me to appreciate what I have and appreciate where I live and make the best out of it. Kingdom Hearts was bound to exist. I'm glad it did. The sequel will be just the same, or better. I have a fuzzy, happy feeling in my gut. The bravery conflicts of Sora vs. the Heartless and the malicious Disney villains that are swallowed by darkness. Kingdom Hearts has also taught me that the heart is powerful. As Sora said, "The heart may be weak. And sometimes, it may even give in. But I know deep down there's a light that never goes out!" That's what Kingdom Hearts has taught me. Aside from my family, Kingdom Hearts' story is something I will treasure forever. Maybe, Heaven will be the world I think of about Kingdom Hearts. Where friendship always lasts. Where dreams come true. Where the heartless are banished and the golden hearts are welcomed. The battles are daring and the graphics are real enough to convince me that real life can be like Kingdom Hearts. We just need to make the world a better place. But I suppose not many people will agree. I'm sick of the evil in this world. Disney has inspired me to think that happiness is found in what you can achieve in for yourself. Kingdom Hearts will live forever in my heart just like Walt Disney's legacy of dreams and hope. I'm sure those who are reading this may think I'm a mushy person. So what if I am?! Only I can see what Kingdom Hearts really is. It's not just fun, it's magical. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I believe that Disney and Kingdom Hearts is what life should truly be. Happy endings and magical dreams and inspirations. Walter Elias Disney and Kingdom Hearts will be immortal. Everyone else appreciates Kingdom Hearts as a game. I appreciate it as a miracle to imaginations. Kingdom Hearts always gives me a happy, fuzzy feeling in my cheeks that I love. May Walt Disney Rest In Peace and may Kingdom Hearts live forever! One of the greatest hits of fantasy history. If you have any comments for me, please e-mail me at tylerripen@yahoo.com. I give Kingdom Hearts a solid 100. It's perfect. That's my honest opinion. Honesty is a quality that makes us live longer. Walt Disney, you have done a great job on the inspiring to create such a tale as Kingdom Hearts. Rest In Peace.

A perfect collaboration between two entertainment giants!

Author: Kelly Smith from Aryshire, Scotland
3 November 2002

Like most other Square Fans, I was extremely skeptical when I first heard that the RPG legend would be teaming up with Disney, of all people, to produce a game. However, as time went on and more screenshots and gameplay tidbits were released, Kingdom Hearts became more and more appealing. Thankfully, When the big release day finally arrived, I was not disappointed. Square had managed to perfectly intergrate the Disney mythos along with the Final Fantasy universe to create a game of a game. Square has once again shown its talent for creating magical RPGs.

Kingdom Hearts is truly a stunning accomplishment and may very well be the game of the year for 2002. The biggest problem with Kingdom Hearts is that many gamers are bashing it because of the inclusion of the Disney characters without even playing the game. This is very short-sighted. Kingdom Hearts is a classic game, and if you own a PS2, this is one game that should absolutely be in your collection.

Adventure like no other!

Author: bbSouthstreet from United States
24 August 2003

It was a quiet September night when my mother and I were watching Cartoon Network and that's when we saw it. It was a promo for probably the most interesting and entertaining video game ever to be developed. I had the money, I had the intuition in video games to never give up but there was one problem. I didn't have a PS2. But then in May of 2003 we traded in my old N64 and we bought a PS2 and what was the first game I would buy? Kingdom Hearts has to be the greatest video game from Disney Interactive and Squaresoft. It has comedy, adventure and an ending that will guarantee us a sequel. Who ever gets this game will have the time of their lives.

If you want something done right...

Author: Bungle-9 from Northern Ireland
12 July 2003

...let Square (sorry, Square Enix) do it. A lot of people groaned when they heard the words "Disney" and "platform game" put together when this game was first described, although a lot more interest was spawned when people heard that several Final Fantasy (the best game series ever) characters would be appearing. People demand a lot more from games these days - plot, story, character, action. People would never have dreamed of this when they were sitting playing KABOOM on their old Atari 2600s. The old platform game is now dead hopefully, make way for a new breed of platform game.

I can only describe this game as a masterpiece of entertainment. It had action, drama, coherent plot that got typically complicated towards the end (very Japanese sorta thing). It was well worth the money I paid for it, although the problem with Final Fantasy-esque games is their lack of replayability. Everyone likes surprises in plots, but they only work once. I wish I had some sort of operation to make me forget certain specific things so I could play FF9 again...

The most anticipated game for me since Final Fantasy 7! And it doesn't disappoint.

Author: BlackJack_B (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 October 2002

Years in the making and hyped like crazy, Kingdom Hearts for the PlayStation 2 had me eagerly awaiting for months. Although not a big Disney fan, I salivated at the dream of seeing all the great Disney and SquareSoft characters together in one DVD game. When September 17, 2002 came, I ran out to get my copy and have been enthralled by this game's beauty, charm, and playability.

Kingdom Hearts features two stories, one, about a boy named Sora who is looking for his friends who have vanished. and two, Donald Duck and Goofy, who are looking for the missing King Mickey. The three have to work together when they find out that they hold the key from keeping the Disney worlds from being destroyed by The Heartless.

You'll travel through a number of classic Disney films such as Aladdin, Pinocchio, Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid. You'll meet all sorts of cameo appearances from Disney films and SquareSoft's Final Fantasy games. The games play like the Legend Of Zelda series, with real-time battling, you control Sora while the other two characters support you. You'll face classic bosses from the movies, such as Captain Hook and Jafar as the Evil Genie.

The graphics of this game are gorgeous, looking like an animated Disney film itself. The power of DVD games makes all the difference. The gameplay is good, too, although niggles with the camera get in the way. The sound is great, too, although I would have liked to hear the songs from the movies that are used as levels. Of course, the voice acting is first-rate, with one of the deepest casts ever put together. The premier child actor Haley Joel Osment voices Sora. You've got actors reprising their voice roles from the films such as James Woods(Hades), Gilbert Gottfried(Iago), and Dan Castelenatta(The Genie from the Aladdin T.V. series). You've got it all: pop stars like Mandy Moore (Aerith) and Lance Bass (Sephiroth), fading talents like Robby Benson and Chris Sarandon, the cool voice of Billy Zane, rising stars, even Tiny Toons voice for Babs Bunny (Tress MacNeille) is here. The voices for Donald and Goofy are spot-on accurate, too.

Put it all together and you've got a game that's a must own if you have the PS2. A truly landmark game, this proves that cross-marketing, mass-marketing, and celebrity firepower can work. Buy it! ***** out of *****!

Beautiful

Author: Zeorymer from New York, USA
1 August 2003

I did not have high hopes for this movie. I said that it could not be done and please RPG gamers like me, I said that this game would be a stain on the reputation of Squaresoft.

I was wrong.

This game is simply amazing. I loved seeing Aeris again, after she was killed in Final Fantasy 7. Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters compliment each other perfectly. The game plot, characters, animation and humor are perfect. If this entire game is not perfect, I have not a clue what is.

All gamers should play this game. It reignited my love for RPG's.

Fun, Memorable, and Emotional. . .

Author: Theodore (tjranma) from Craven County, NC USA
18 May 2004

I have always been a fan of both Disney & video games like Final Fantasy! A small challenge & memorable characters, this game caught my attention right away! After playing it, conquering the game, and the ability to save your place in the game, I just could not get enough of it! I recommend this game to anyone who's a fan of Disney & Squaresoft! Not just the gameplay, but knowing that 90% of the original voice casting from the movies & series of Disney was what also caught my attention in the credits! Being knowledgeable of entertainment and performer myself, I checked up on much of this! This Playstation 2 game's VERY WELL DONE! I certainly look forward to the sequel! BRING IT ON! I give this game, on a scale of 1 to 10, an: 11!

Embrace the Magic

Author: Earely from United States
16 January 2010

Kingdom Hearts, I'm saying this straight out, it is one of the best video games ever created. Video Games don't get much better than this, it is absolutely magical. The kind of magic you got from Disney 50 years ago with movies like Bambi or Snow White. The imagery is way ahead for its time. (2002) If you don't like this game, I have no clue what to say to you expect good luck ever liking a video game.

This movie is enchanting to the point you want the characters to be real. I mean it is quite an addicting game. It soothes your mind and takes all the problems you have on the real world. I give this movie a 10/10. I would rate it way higher if I could.

Best crossover of Disney since Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Except this time in a video game

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
7 January 2005

This PS2 video game is great, and is also a Disney game you can all enjoy, and won't be ashamed to buy or mention to anyone that you played it. It combines Final Fantasy like characters, the game play and storyline and puts a Disney like storyline and characters in it. Ingenious! A very cute game with less gore, and blood, perhaps no blood or gore at all, you play as Sora a young spiky haired kid, who searches for his friends and has to work with Goofy and Donald. The other Disney character come from various films such as Peter Pan, Aladdin, Tarzan, etc. Anyways, the controls are easy, and it doesn't have the wait system like most RPGs do, it's more of an action adventure RPG game, much like The Legend of Zelda, or Castlevania, and mostly you control the main character while others attack randomly, but it still has a few things from other FF games or RPGs, for example you can still give items to other party members, like health or potions, and you can also level them up, and yourself as well, and can even switch allies as well, depending where you are. Overall, great graphics, fair controls, nice game play, it deserves a stunning 9! Thank you Disney, arigato gozaimasu Tetsuya Nomura-sama! So far the best Disney game.

Amazing game, but missing something...

Author: BinaryCode1001 from USA
29 April 2003

This is evidently one of the best games ever for the PS2 in the year 2002. The plot is great, and the characters...well, that's just it. I don't have a problem with Disney characters joining forces with Final Fantasy characters, but I was expecting to see a little more Final Fantasy. Hopefully, in KH2, there will be an expansion in this category, and perhaps make the adjoining of Square and Disney a little more noticeable. But, still, I'd give this game a 10/10 score.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]