IMDb > Jackass: The Movie (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jackass: The Movie

Jackass: The Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Being a jackass looks fun...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
20 August 2003

"Jackass the Movie" defies just about every set law of film-making. It is rude, it is crude, and it is doggone hilarious. I can't really think of words to describe this film as none do so adequately. It is, of course, based upon the popular television show on MTV of the same name (except there's no "the Movie" on the end of it). Basically it is "Candid Camera" meets the X-Games meets drunkards. Its cast are a bunch of jackasses: Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Chris Pontius, Wee Man the Midget, Ryan Dunn, and Steve-O. They go around pulling various pranks, and sometimes - or most of the time - injuring themselves.

The humor is very selective - some will hate it and others (mainly stoned teens) will love it. Take, for instance, a gag where one of the men walks into a plumbing store and relieves himself into a display toilet. Things such as this have been insinuated before on a commercial I remember for Best Buy, but this movie shows everything - in detail - including the feces inside the toilet bowl.

Sound disgusting? Well it is. But some of the gags - for I can think of no other word to describe them - are just downright hilarious. For example, the co-creator of the TV series, Johnny Knoxville, borrows a car from a rental lot, takes it to a garage, has all the gears messed up and windows smashed, spray paints it, and then enters it into a car derby. He takes it back to the lot all smashed up and refuses to pay for the damage. He admits that he was drinking before it happened. He says they must help them pay for the damage to the vehicle. They point out that he signed a contract declaring that he would pay for all responsible damage, and he says, "Yeah, but I had a little to drink when I signed that, too."

The cast and crew seem to have not grown past the age of 13 in terms of maturity. One of the best gags involves about four men on a golf course blasting air horns during tee-offs. One golfer gets so angered that he throws a golf club at them and starts to actually tee off at the men (who are hiding behind trees on the course).

I've never quite witnessed something like "Jackass the Movie" before. It is like a giant unedited TV show stretched out to a full 80 + minutes, and let me say that this is the first time in history I have seen a TV-show-based film that I thought was too short. (Movies like "Night at the Roxbury" seem to go on forever.) "Jackass the Movie" is lots of fun - it isn't deep or intellectual, but it's fun.

This film is definitely going to gross-out certain people, and enthuse the more wacky crowds out there. But it is one of the most "technically" entertaining films of the year. It isn't a masterpiece but it is very fun to watch. Maybe I'm an immature sicko, but I liked this movie.

Before the film starts, there is a warning which reads something like "the stunts performed herein are executed by trained professionals." Let me ask: How does one train to be a jackass? This film doesn't tell us, but it sure does show us what trained jackasses are like. And you know what? Being a jackass looks fun.

hilarious, not for the faint hearted

Author: duncthepunk (duncthepunk@hotmail.com) from Aberdeen, Scotland
27 September 2004

belly laughs and occasional cringing from start to finish, people who don't find this film funny are kidding themselves. we've all seen the MTV series, this is more outrageous.

Anyone who would voluntarily:

1. eat their own urine mixed with snow 2. give themselves paper-cuts between their fingers and toes 3. fire rockets from body parts which shouldn't have rockets fired from them 4. shove toy cars where toy cars should not be shoved 5. attempt to make their mother swear on camera by going to the great length of placing a live alligator in her kitchen 6. attach muscle stimulators to tender glands

Deserve all the plaudits they receive.

It's not big, it's not clever but my god is it funny.....

Purely for true fans and those with iron stomachs

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
10 November 2002

Quite simply, the scariest movie ever made. This includes the likes of the Seventh Seal and Working Out with Zsa Zsa Gabor. What our fellow man will do to himself to get a cheap laugh is beyond me, but it tends to work in multiple fashions. Johnny, Steve-O, Wee Man, Party Boy, Bam, Preston Lacy, Dave, Ehren and all the other fellas in this film will never win anything but my self respect. It takes guts to get hit by a tidal wave machine, go up against Butterbean and eat a urine-soaked sno-cone. While many will attribute this as a factor to the continuing downfall of society, at least it was damn funny (even with multiple viewings). Never has a film actually induced me to nearly vomit. Not for the tasteful and high faluting type.

The Daredevils' "Gone With the Wind"?

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
21 August 2003

About the only thing that can be safely said about the gross-out fest `Jackass – The Movie' is that it is definitely an acquired taste. You will be either delighted or appalled by the masochistic antics contained in this film, and if you ever needed proof that there is a distinct cultural divide existing in this nation today, `Jackass' provides it in spades.

For those who do not know, `Jackass' is the brainchild of Johnny Knoxville and his assorted buddies who have made a lucrative industry out of devising and performing death- and injury-defying stunts so that likeminded individuals, from the comfort and safety of their couches and theater seats, can at least get a vicarious thrill by watching others act out what they themselves wish they had the nerve (or stupidity) to do. (The film, of course, comes with a `don't try this at home' proviso that is as transparently insincere as it is obviously ineffective). `Jackass' is like the ultimate boys-will-be-boys extravaganza, a fifth grade prankster's dream come true. Not only do the `men' perform the stunts, but they spend most of their time in convulsive hysterics responding to them. On-screen vomiting, defecating, intentional bloodletting and the imbibing of urine are just a few of the goodies offered up for the audience's delectation by the makers of the film. Think of this as the dark side of the Peter Pan Syndrome, a tribute to adult men who have serious maturity issues and who clearly refuse `to grow up.'

Like most compilation films, `Jackass – The Movie' is a hit-and-miss proposition. Some of the `stunts' are clever and amusing, and there is a certain anarchic kick to be derived from seeing these guys pushing back the boundaries of conventional common sense and good taste. But there's also a certain mean-spirited tone to so much of what we see on screen that it interferes with our enjoyment of vast portions of the movie. Personally, I don't care if these guys want to injure, maim or even kill themselves to get their kicks, but why do they have to get so many of their laughs at the expense of other people? A number of the `bits' seem designed to do little more than humiliate hardworking business people, innocent bystanders and even members of their own families. In making a cruel version of `Candid Camera,' the filmmakers only heighten their own smugness and attitude of superiority, helping to alienate all but the group's most fanatical followers. What also surprises me – given the general nature of the film's target audience, that is – is just how homoerotic in tone many of these stunts turn out to be. I'm not saying that as a judgment against the film, but I do find it to be an interesting observation.

I don't want to belabor the issues too much here, and I certainly don't believe that the success of this film (and the TV show that spawned it) in any way foretells the imminent collapse of Western Civilization, as others have charged. That is clearly an overreaction. `Jackass – The Movie' is obviously intended for a very specific niche audience and, in those terms, I guess, it gets the job done. Just make sure you're in that niche before spending your hard-earned money to see it. You've been forewarned.

The first movie I actually wanted to walk out of!

Author: c_p_c from U.S.A.
26 October 2002

*SPOILERS*-A couple of the stunts pulled off are mentioned.

I'll start off by saying that I was convinced to go to this movie by some friends of mine. While I knew I probably wouldn't totally like this movie, my feelings of it afterwards were far worse of not liking it. I am not one to usually walk out of movies, but, I couldn't stand this one. The only problem is that I couldn't leave because my ride was greatly enjoying the film.

The humor in this film is so low and gross. These guys have staked their reputation on being of the lowest form of human kind. I can respect dumb humor like this but only so far. From sticking things up their butts, to attaching a firecracker to a guys penis, and to pulling crude pranks and painful pranks on innocent people, this movie has not due credit and should be classified as complete trash. There were many times when I found myself closing my eyes or leaning toward the floor to throw up (and I consider myself to have a decently strong stomach).

The making of such trash like this gives us a look into our society, of how low can we really go and still get people's money. This movie has reached all lows and I feel totally violated. Not worth a penny.

This movie has no merit to it and I regret falling into the peer pressure of going to see this heap of garbage. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY-1/10

One of those movies which you either hate or love it

Author: Melissa (peachmango18) from Jakarta, Indonesia
25 December 2003

Want to spend 87 minutes of your life watching a pathetic group hurting themselves in a senseless way? Jackass: The Movie is a perfect movie to do that. Its a movie that people either hate it or love it instantly. And I'm a proud person to say that I love it. Some funny scenes, gross-out scenes, and some that are just... TOO GROSS! But after the credits roll, you got to think, "How could they possibly do that?" Just to make people laugh. 9.5 stars out of 10

Stupid people doing stupid stunts...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
3 September 2006

1st watched 9/3/2006 - 2 Out of 10(Dir-Jeff Tremaine): Stupid people doing stupid stunts and it's supposed to be funny? I'm sorry but I didn't get the humor in this right after the credits. The best parts of the movie were the opening credits where the gang flys down a street in an over-sized shopping carts while explosions go off around them and they begin pelting each other as debris pelts them and the music booms in coordination with the pelts. After the ending credits, we get to see old versions of them going thru the same type of thing in a fake trailer for the Sons of Jackass. These two scenes had some humor, but most everything in between(for approximately 80 minutes) was worthless garbage consisting of jackasses doing stunts to hurt themselves and their bodies with fat jokes thrown in every so often. When a character poops in a hardware store toilet and they show a close-up of the poop, please enough is enough…. And I can't remember how many times I got to see various characters barfing various colors of stuff right in front of me.(wow, was that fun…not) Why Johnny Knoxville and his gang would allow themselves to be the subjects of one pain-inducing torture after another is beyond me.(I guess it's a macho thing..) As I watched, I kept saying why? Why the premise? Why the show ?? Why the movie?? Why a following that produced a movie ?? Why did I rent this and pay money for it?? Why's and more why's….and guess what their's going to be a sequel… but why??

This movie reached a new level of sucking .

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
17 March 2007

After I saw "Jackass:The Movie " I guess that I will have to made some changes in my most -hated list . This will have a honorable mention . Because not so many movies are so idiotic , boring , one -dimensional , and worthless like this . Seriously ,is that bad . Well ,unless you were a fan of the show .In other way ,anyone hardly will find this funny . Year by year ,this "comedies " keep coming ,sinking the industry of movies into a lower level were any talentless hack have chance to have his 15 minutes of fame ( or to get it worst , a sequel of his movie )and even that ,have fans . "Jackass: the movie " is just trash . If this isn't the worst movie ever made ,it's a strong candidate . Zero stars.

Jackass, maybe.... Hilarious, YES!

Author: winged_loner from United States
3 August 2006

When Jackass scraped across the screens of MTV viewers, people were both disgusted and left rolling on the floor laughing... at the same time. Never before has a show gone so far to make us laugh with experimental slapstick comedy that goes there. Then the film came out... and its non-stop, laugh-till-your-throat-hurts, vomit-till-your-stomach's-dry comedy. There are no stunt-men, no stand-ins... not even a high-tech camera... THIS is Jackass, and it still manages to make us 'ooh' and 'oh my god' plus 'HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!' without tire or wear.... Cheers, you Jackass... you earned it.

R rated piece of crap !

Author: mohammedriadh from France
3 October 2006

I think the following comment is overwhelming " Johnny Knoxville and his crazy friends appear on the big screen for the very first time in Jackass: The Movie. They wander around Japan in panda outfits, wreak havoc on a once civilized golf court, they even do stunts involving LIVE alligators, and so on. While Johnny Knoxvile and his pals put their life at risk, they are entertaining people at the same time. Get ready for Jackass: The Movie!! "

I haven't seen the second sequel of this movie yet but I'm really disappointed of the first one, so why wasting my time in an immoral unethical pathetic movie Why? If we remove some of the (rare) "clean" funny scenes of this movies it becomes a pure R rated piece of crap! Because this movie is not just an offense to mankind but it also defines humans as unstoppable crazy animals!

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]