IMDb > "Oliver Beene" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

It's a great show....

Author: jk90 from USA
21 April 2003

I totally disagree with the other user comment. I think this show is great. Yes it is a mix of "Malcolm In The Middle" and "Wonder Years" (in fact, the narrator sounds exactly just like Daniel Stern, the narrator from WY), but it's still funny as hell. The characters are fun to watch and the actors seem to have a great time with them. I say take a look.

Too high-quality for Fox

Author: itsbarrie from Philadelphia
5 February 2006

"Oliver Beene" was one of the very, VERY rare family sitcoms that was actually funny, and often hilarious. Well-acted, well-written, and almost entirely anachronism-free. Plus, Andrew Lawrence had to be the cutest thing to appear on TV since George Clooney.

Although Fox's animated programming is mainly daring, high-quality product, they don't support live action sitcoms the same way -- if they did, "Oliver Beene" and "Get a Life" would have run a lot longer.

Rupert Murdoch must have handed down a memo to the effect that Fox's non-cartoon comedies must be all-junk-all-the-time, in order to reach that huge demographic comprised of those who find tired sex jokes ("The War at Home," et. al) and/or people incessantly screaming at one another ("Malcolm in the Middle") to be hilarious.

So what? It's a good show!

Author: Matt Cyganik (Prezkot29@yahoo.com) from Phoenix, AZ
17 April 2003

Ok, it DOES seem like 'Oliver Beene' is 'Malcolm' meets 'The Wonder Years', but so what? In a world of scarily crappy reality shows, and 50+ years of TV history, isn't better to venture 2 GOOD TV shows, rather than extend ideas from bad ones?

I agree that this show will probably be canned shortly, only because producers don't give shows enough of a chance to improve ratings anymore. I loved Family Guy, and wish it was still on, but it is like the original Star Trek was 35 years ago: a mass cult following formed, but not enough of an overall appeal, like American Idol (joy).

Comedies are a dying breed outside of FOX. CBS focuses on dramas, ABC invokes reality shows and 'family comedies' (which is producer slang for targeted middle-aged audience). WB wants the teenagers, and NBC rounds up the 'intellectual 18-29 who live in New York' (Is Fraiser even funny anymore, or was it REALLY EVER? I mean if you're gonna spin-off Cheers, get George Wendt or John Ratzenberger, not Fraiser Crane). Friends is still funny, but not fresh. And their 'target' audience is not ethnic, so we don't see any NBC leading roles filled by etnicity, only supporting. What happened to Cosby, Fresh Prince, Different World?

Is UPN still even a prime-time station??

But at least FOX, albeit focusing on the dyfunctional slice-of-life, has funny comedies. The Simpsons. Malcolm. That 70's Show. Bernie Mac. King Of The Hill. Family Guy (defunct). Futurama (soon-to-be defunct). Oliver Beene.

And hey, we'd be able to give all these new shows half a fighting chance if they weren't being filled with reality shows (which producers LOVE because they're short, and by now, a guaranteed lock in viewership) like Married By America (the most degrading yet) or until Mr. Personality airs. One day, reality shows will be so ugly, we'll see a televised version of Russian Roulette. I swear we will.

And while Grant Rosenmeyer is no Frankie Muniz, he tries to be real. After all, we all can't be scary bullsh*t like V.I.C.I. in Small Wonder can we?

So to sum up, Oliver Beene is cool. Cherish it now, because you might miss it when it's gone, kinda like Family Guy. And for whoever earlier said Family Guy is much better than The Simpsons, he obviously haven't seen more than 2 episodes. Simpsons still rule.

"Oliver Beene" (Good Show)

Author: Blooeyz2001 from Florida
4 May 2003

I like all the characters on this show except the mom. She's too much of a whiney dimbulb. Oliver is chubby & likable. The dad is a big, lovable dolt in a crass, enjoyable way. Andy Lawrence is adorable. He's more of a dizzy himbo (male bimbo) than a monster like the older brother on "The Wonder Years". Oliver's pals (effeminate boy & nerdie girl) are also fun to watch. The colorful, 1960's setting is very nostalgic, but producers should pay more attention to details. In many ways it is a hybrid of "The Wonder Years" (which took itself too seriously) & "Malcom In The Middle" but I was never crazy about either of those shows, but I like this one.

Second episode much more promising

Author: DaADA1
19 March 2003

It's got heart, and that says a lot. I mean the first episode wasn't a stellar premiere, I'll give you that. But the acting is great! The comedy is more family oriented, and it does a great job at accomplishing what it's set out to do. Isn't that what it's all about? I thought the second episode was very funny, and it's so strange that you can't help but love the way the jokes just seem to just fall out of the scene. It's truly a good-hearted show with some serious moments and real chemistry between these actors. Great job!

Another version of That's 80's Show and Unhappily Ever After

Author: Y2p731 from Santa Ana, California
5 March 2003

This show is a pure stinker. I mean it's basically ripping off other shows. I saw an episode from the preview party and it's going to be a major bust for this show. Let's see it needs better actors. I don't think that an overweight kid will be good for the show. His character is just not there. A teenage brother's acting is terrible, the mother could be anymore dorkier. The only star of this show is the father who played the producer in Murphy Brown.

11-year old boy's comedic struggle to make sense in a world of twisted adults and mostly mean kids

Author: shpress from Burlington Vermont USA
6 May 2003

Oliver Beane is simply the freshest, funniest show to hit the tube in 2003. It's almost a surreal parody of Leave it to Beaver, with straight clueless parents, an older brother and weird little friends. Every episode yields delicious absurdity and quotable punchlines. Predictably, it won't be lasting long. C'mon Fox, do the right thing and renew Oliver.

Are YoU GuyS Nuts?

Author: monica555 from Canada
16 March 2003

come on people, this is a good show. yes, it may be similar to the wonder years, but its different. And just as good. Its a generally funny show and its nice to see andrew lawrence (ted) again. I hope this series lasts more then one seaon, its gunna be good.

Cross between Wonder Years and Leave it to Beaver

Author: VanillaLimeCoke from United States
2 January 2013

First off, in my opinion this was not the best sitcom but I am kind of surprised it lasted 2 seasons.

I remember my sister being into this show more than me. It seemed pretty good but just out of date and too original.

I had thought that after Season 1 the show didn't do so well but then learned it came back for another season and that was it. I thought it was doing so well. But I don't know.

I think airing it on FOX might have been the problem since Malcolm in the Middle was better at the time. Had it aired on another station it would have done better. Also I think Elkie kind of ruined the show. I just kind of found her annoying and bland after a bit.

The show was definitely funny and always kept you guessing. It had a very likable cast of characters. Oliver's parents were not the crazy control freaks like Malcolm on The Middle or The Wonder Years. Ted, Oliver's brother just for some reason reminded me of Wally from Leave it to Beaver.

I relate this show to The Wonder Years fusing with Leave it to Beaver, because The Wonder Years had a voice over and the show's characters seemed like ones from Leave it to Beaver, especially Ted.

Two of the best guest stars I liked were Louis Lombardi (from the hit show 24 as Edgar in Seasons 4 + 5) who plays a stressed out neighbor and Jon Polito (often a mobster in many films like Millers Crossing, but most memorably a reformed man in a MillenniuM episode) who played a very heavyset but yet unhealthy gym teacher.

Ted also had a friend named Harvey who would cause trouble like wildfires. One such incident was when he insulted a fat guy while the kids were home alone, resulting in the fat guy coming over and trying to kill the kids. Harvey had been supposedly banned after throwing a wild party with Ted while Oliver and his parents were out once.

Jerry, Oliver's dad plays as a dentist who is very friendly and cheerful but has a very short but funny temper. Not to mention the fact that he will act like a 10 year old at times.

Overall, I found the series pretty good and surprised that it lasted only 2 seasons instead of one or more.

If you enjoyed Wonder Years, Leave it to Beaver, Malcolm in the Middle, Grounded for Life, and/or The Bernie Mac Show, I would recommend seeing it (if they ever put them on DVD, Netflix, or Hulu (or wait, I left Hulu, so maybe (yeah right) there on there).

Oliver Beene

Author: Colene Bowker from United Kingdom
13 June 2005

Oliver Beene is about a 11 year old boy growing up in the 60's with his weird but wonderful family.

Oliver and his Dad Jerry are the most strongest characters and the Mum Charlotte is a bit weak. Grant Rosenmeyer (Oliver) just cracks me up every time, he has such a grown up face for such a little boy. I like the character of Joyce (Daveigh Chase) she is so grown up for her age and her one liners are hilarious. Most of the characters I hadn't heard of but I did know Andrew Lawrence (Ted) from Brotherly love.

Even though it is a comedy it still has some historical moments in it e.g. John F Kennedy's assassination, racism in the 6o's and th missiles in Cuba. But the programme is still really funny. Most of the jokes are from the characters reactions to the problems e.g. how Oliver copes with bullying.

I don't know why people hated the first episode I found it quite funny. My favourite episode is when Oliver and Ted are left in the flat home alone and they have a fat guy trying to get them. How Oliver deals with it so so funny but just like a normal family sitcom it all blows over. But because it isn't a normal family sitcom it ends in a joke. This programme has left me in fits. I give it an amazing 9 out of 10.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]