IMDb > "Without a Trace" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Without a Trace"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Without a Trace" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Contrarian viewpoint

Author: cu_ee from WA, USA
15 February 2004

I find this show engaging enough to watch fairly regularly but have to disagree with all the glowing reviews that have been posted. The plot lines are often simplistic and sensationalist and the long music-driven "emotional" scenes are pandering and boring. The characters are one dimensional and any "development" seems forced. I feel like Lenny on Law & Order is my good buddy even though that show hardly has any character development, whereas the WAT characters seem more like bullet points--"the wise, good hearted leader with family problems", "the tough blonde going through an emotional crisis", etc. The show is okay but it's really a slick presentation of something that could use a few more IQ points.

Roselyn Sanchez, bad writing and producing killed this hit show

Author: lilliansimone from United States
30 April 2007

This show used to be great. Maybe not the pinnacle of television, but very, very good.

It had a nice cast, good writing (although it erred on not doing enough with the characters) and good directing (after a shaky first season).

But then it all collapsed. The creator of the show left and in came people who like their actresses incompetent and their scripts full of plot holes.

The hiring of Roselyn Sanchez is when this show jumped the shark.

Roselyn Sanchez is possibly the worst actress working as a lead in film and television today... and that's saying a lot! Her complete like of emoting, combined with her lack of diction and her unnaturally immobile face make every scene she's in a painful experience.

In addition, her bad acting exposes how bad the writing has become.

No wonder audiences have been deserting with once huge hit.

Marianne Jean-Baptiste

Author: stonestroke2003 from Fog City, California
10 July 2006

WAT is the show I look forward to watching most every week (comes in a close 2nd after The Closer). I don't know why so many people think the show has gone downhill. It still holds my interest for that hour. My only criticism (and it's not about Rosalyn Sanchez) is that they have one of the most talented actresses alive today, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, and they hardly use her! She deserves much more character development and depth to her role. It's the same story with S. Epatha Merkerson on Law & Order. Another underused great talent. However, perhaps after being recognized for Lackawanna Blues, NBC will wake up. Let's see more Marianne in the future. At least let her express an emotion every now and then. Even Tony LaPaglia is allowed to do that.

Jumped The Shark When They Hired Roselyn Sanchez

Author: Catherine from Santa Monica
3 October 2008

It's amazing how Without a Trace went from one of the best shows on TV to must-miss TV in about three episodes.

First the writing went down the drain with the characters acting out implausible stories between them that sounded like they had been lifted out of a really bad daytime soap.

Then the regular actors got that bemused look on their faces, as if they didn't know what their character was supposed to be any more.

Finally, to "spice things up" I'm sure, the producers went and hired one of the worst actresses in Hollywood: Roselyn Sanchez, who can't even enunciate and has a face so plastic she's a walking indictment of the plastic surgery profession.

Very sad. Hopefully they'll right the boat, but I'm not holding my breath.

Update: It turns out the didn't right the boat. Roselyn Sanchez is still killing every scene she's in and the show is but a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Too bad as it was a very promising show.

OK First Season, Great Second Season and then it's all downhill

Author: goldenhummer78 from Barbados
7 May 2006

What a waste! It took the WAT producers a half season until they hit their stride (the pilot was oh-hum but the show showed potential for growth, in particular with its great cast.) The second season was excellent, with better photography and more interesting writing and decent "persoanl arcs" for each character.

I was looking forward to the third season, but then it all collapsed in a second.

The writing went downhill faster than an olympic racer. And of course, to make matter worse, they had to tinker with the cast and add Roselyn Sanchez to make sure that we got how terrible the writing is.

Oh, well. It had one good season...

Roselyn Sanchez

Author: mel1986 from United Kingdom
13 October 2006

I agree i think they should kill Roselyn Sanchez off and i also think that martin and Sam should get back together but before that i think she should get back with jack and Martin and Viv should have an affair and i think they should let Enrique pick his own love interest on without a trace and they should bring jacks wife back in.They should a Christmas where they all go away for the holidays together and show people that Christmas is about giving not receiving and being with the people they love and their friend and what it's like when people can't be with the people they love.Sam should choose who she wants and who ever she decides to be with they should get married with a twist.

Repetitive

Author: Mattias Petersson from Stockholm, Sweden
20 June 2006

I have watched quite many episodes of this show. Simply because i have very few TV-channels with good reception during weekends in the cabin, and this show is conveniently shown Saturday evening.

There are two kinds of TV-shows. First the ones that get better the more you watch them, like most of the shows from HBO for instance. The characters get more elaborate, the story deeper and the show moves forward. Then there is the second kind of show that becomes worse the more you watch. Repetitive scripts, shallow characters, illogical story line. Unfortunately this show belongs to the latter category.

I don't really know whether that's so unexpected though. This show is about cops trying to find missing people and there are not that many ways for someone to go missing. Usually it's just variants on the same thing. Violent crime, teenagers run away from home, abductions, accidents. After a dozen episodes it more or less feels like i have seen it all.

And what are the positive points? Since i have given this show a five-star grade there should be a few of those as well. And there are. This show has a few qualities that i appreciate. Among them are the technical quality, the decent acting and the nice pace. Especially pace is something that's very necessary for a show to concentrate on. If i'm going to watch many episodes of a TV-show i need it to be well-paced. Not too fast-paced and not too slow. Both ruin the experience. This show is just about right.

With a bit more creative thinking in the script-department, a bit more character-development and perhaps also a bit less moralizing this could be good entertainment. Right now it barely reaches the "ok"-mark.

Roselyn Sanchez Must Go

Author: sarahpatton from United States
17 November 2008

What is going on at WAT? After tonight's brilliantly directed and lit but awful episode (did any of the producers bother to read the script?) the previews for next week's show introduce Roselyn Sanchez as, presumably, a new regular character.

If that's the case, here's a show that will jump the shark faster than any other hit.

Roselyn Sanchez can't act. Even seeing her for twenty seconds in the previews, it's obvious she will suck the life out of every scene she will be in.

As for this week's episode (the mad bomber kid show), what were they thinking? There was not a single moment of believable characterization in the entire hour.

All the children were portrayed as abandoned by their parents and prone to violent criminality. All the parents were absent, clueless and shocked, and the regulars wore a constipated expression throughout (clearly THEY were forced to read the script) and the interactions between them was as forced as it was nonsensical.

Easily the most disappointing episodes in the history of the show. I hope they correct this quickly because another one of those and I'll find something better to do with my Thursdays at 10.

UPDATE: Sadly, the producers never corrected the show, ending up with an annoying snoozer that failed to live up to its promise.

I wish the 5 original players would be reinstated in the future.

Author: just judit from Budapest/Los Angeles
22 January 2007

The show is still very good though my friends and I, who watch it together, agree with another viewer that Ms Sanchez ruined an excellent #10 show. There were already two women and a Spanish-American on board, so the show was politically correct and the ensemble fantastic. I never wished anybody (besides Hitler and heads of the soviet Union) to die, but I heartily wish that Ms Sanches' character would be shot for good and the show would return to its previous magnificence. Well, then I could purchase the following seasons' disks as well as those I had without Ms Sanchez' not enjoyable and unwanted presence. Could there be a possible hope in that direction? What a great thing it would be.

They Need To Get Rid of Roselyn Sanchez

Author: Laurence Dillon from United States
15 November 2007

Roselyn Sanchez has completely destroyed the interest I used to have in this show.

Her complete lack of acting ability just annihilates every scene that she is in. She mumbles through every line and is barely intelligible (and I am being nice).

Her face is so completely devoid of emotion, one has to wonder why anyone would ever want to have such a negative presence on a formerly hit show.

It must be hell for the other actors to have to share the screen with someone who gives them absolutely nothing to play against.

Come on CBS, do the right thing and force the bad producers who hired her to fire her. Maybe killing her character would be good. It could be sold as a "very special episode".

I know I'd watch it.