IMDb > "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Not too much is good about this show anymore!

Author: Seth Allen from Cary, NC
10 March 2011

More than a decade after its U.S. television debut, it happens that "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" is definitely no longer as great a game show as it once was. I do tolerate Meredith Vieira as the hostess, but her hosting style is somewhat boring, and does little to preserve the enthusiasm, humor, and excitement given the show by Regis Philbin in the prime-time version. In addition, I dislike the dumb things she says to contestants on higher- level questions, when making them nervous into thinking that they got their questions wrong. However, I like that she is very comfortable with the contestants, and is better at pronunciations than Regis. I hate how the show's format has changed so many times over the years... I think "Millionaire" is better in its classic format than in any other. Nowadays, it seems that the "Millionaire" game has been ruined... It's not what it used to be... And the fact that it's only a half-hour show makes it even worse... However, despite all of its flaws, I still think that the syndicated "Millionaire" is entertaining and very fun to watch and play along with. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who was a die-hard fan of the prime-time shows or who is a respectable trivia buff.

Fun game show

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
16 July 2006

First off, I must say that this is a fun game show. Also, I'm not sure if I've seen every episode. However, I do know the show very well. Every time I watch it, I have a lot of fun playing along and watch. This made me long to be a contestant. The thing I liked most about it are the questions. Despite the fact that I don't know that many answers, I still have fun playing along. I hope the WUSA Network keeps it on so I can play along and watch again. If that happens, I will be really happy. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever. Now, in conclusion, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

Meredith is wonderful

Author: Paul Clough (bjorksjoga) from Davenport, IA, USA
3 January 2003

I didn't care for Regis Philbun as host. He seemed to make the contestants feel so uncomfortable. However, Meredith Viera is a wonderfully funny woman, and she is very comfortable with the contestants, and her smile is as warm as the noon time sun. So I hope that the show lasts for a long time, and Meredith stays on my television at 8:30/9:30 C until she decides that it is time to move on.

Not what it used to be.....

Author: RHeckman00@hotmail.com from Sidney, OH
27 August 2004

some people may not have liked Regis, but cmon, at least he gave the show some enthusiasm, humor, and excitement.....The show is sooo boring these days with the female host....She is boring, her jokes are dull, and she has no enthusiasm whatsoever....After a contestant answers a higher level question, she will try to make the contestant nervous into thinking he/she got the question wrong, but she'll say some of the absolutely dumbest things while doing so....Also, quite frankly, some of the guests are outright weird....I mean, seriously, do they screen any of these people before they let them on the show....Regis's Millionaire is a game show classic, but the newer version just isn't making the grade

There's nothing good about it anymore

Author: The_Light_Triton (Black_triton14@hotmail.com) from In a Chair in my room
24 September 2008

When it debuted in 1998, Millionaire was the greatest Gameshow on TV at the time. it was fun to watch and even more fun to play along to. The theme was the darkest thing ever and a lot of fun to listen to. But ten years later, the game has sunk deeper into the depths of bad.

The first mistake is not airing it at night.

The second mistake is removing regis and making Meredith the hostess.

The third, reducing 32,000 and 64,000 to 25,000 and 50,000 and so on.

And the fourth? Adding a Friggin' time limit! Yes, they've added a time limit to answering questions. contestants used to be able to take over half an hour to answer a really hard question. now, for the first tier, contestants have 15 seconds, second tier, they have 30 seconds, and for the final tier, they have 45 seconds. what good is that? it just irritates contestants and makes the show look like the 2000 computer game that came in General mills cereals.

Such a good game has been ruined. it used to be entertaining and fun to watch and play along to. nowadays, it's just a thing of the past.

Syndication Is Not Better (SPOILERS)

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
20 April 2007

SPOILERS

The original Who Wants to be a Millionaire is just a bit better, but this is a very fun game-show. Sure, Meredith Veira is definitely not as good as Regis Philbin, but she can still be a pretty good game-show hostess. There is a couple of complaints, though. Firstly, the questions are way harder in this than the original Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Only Kevin Smith and Nancy Christy have won the big prize.

Here is the basis of the syndicated version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. It is pretty much like the original with some changes. Contestants go to the hot seat and answer questions to get to $1,000,000. The money is different, though. Instead of $32,000, $64,000, and $125,000, there is $25,000, $50,000, and $100,000. There is also another life-line when you get $25,000, Switch the Question. There is also no Fastest Finger. The contestant just comes in.

Overall, this is a great game-show that has some minor adjustments from the original but still is very fun. The only other complaint I have it, before you win $1,000,000, you get less money. It used to be $32,000, now it is $25,000. Anyway, aside from that and the questions being much tougher and that this is only a half-hour long I still had fun, and so will you.

Recommended Shows: The New Price is Right.

Boring...

Author: Don Rogers from Seattle, WA, USA
1 July 2006

The first five questions (up to $1000) are ridiculously easy. They are a formality; hardly any contestant ever misses these. A waste of everyone's time.

The next five questions are somewhat more challenging, though still too easy for my taste. Earning $25000 is something of an achievement on any other show, but contestants of average ability do it regularly here.

The $50000 question is usually pretty good -- about as hard as a Jeopady! Daily Double.

Beyond that level, the questions suddenly get preposterously hard, to the point that virtually no contestant ever risks answering them.

I mean, what is the point?

A great show!

Author: J. Naizer from USA
19 February 2003

A great show, it's great that they decided to keep the top prize $1,000,000 considering it's syndicated and usually the budget is tighter. It's still exciting, although I do miss Regis as host, Meredith is good (and better at pronounciations) but a little too dull at times for such a high adrenalin show like Millionaire.

What a very good show!

Author: braveswiz from Memphis, TN.
3 October 2003

In order to keep the budget to a minimum, they decided to nix the Fastest Finger round and keep the top prize going. Meredith is the greatest host than Regis is, and had newer top right graphics for those entering the $16,000 level and used a "classical" ending if someone won a million bucks. This show is always a keeper at 4:30 on channel 24 before the 5 o'clock news come on.