IMDb > "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Not too much is good about this show anymore!

Author: Seth Allen from Cary, NC
10 March 2011

More than a decade after its U.S. television debut, it happens that "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" is definitely no longer as great a game show as it once was. I do tolerate Meredith Vieira as the hostess, but her hosting style is somewhat boring, and does little to preserve the enthusiasm, humor, and excitement given the show by Regis Philbin in the prime-time version. In addition, I dislike the dumb things she says to contestants on higher- level questions, when making them nervous into thinking that they got their questions wrong. However, I like that she is very comfortable with the contestants, and is better at pronunciations than Regis. I hate how the show's format has changed so many times over the years... I think "Millionaire" is better in its classic format than in any other. Nowadays, it seems that the "Millionaire" game has been ruined... It's not what it used to be... And the fact that it's only a half-hour show makes it even worse... However, despite all of its flaws, I still think that the syndicated "Millionaire" is entertaining and very fun to watch and play along with. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who was a die-hard fan of the prime-time shows or who is a respectable trivia buff.

There's nothing good about it anymore

Author: The_Light_Triton (Black_triton14@hotmail.com) from In a Chair in my room
24 September 2008

When it debuted in 1998, Millionaire was the greatest Gameshow on TV at the time. it was fun to watch and even more fun to play along to. The theme was the darkest thing ever and a lot of fun to listen to. But ten years later, the game has sunk deeper into the depths of bad.

The first mistake is not airing it at night.

The second mistake is removing regis and making Meredith the hostess.

The third, reducing 32,000 and 64,000 to 25,000 and 50,000 and so on.

And the fourth? Adding a Friggin' time limit! Yes, they've added a time limit to answering questions. contestants used to be able to take over half an hour to answer a really hard question. now, for the first tier, contestants have 15 seconds, second tier, they have 30 seconds, and for the final tier, they have 45 seconds. what good is that? it just irritates contestants and makes the show look like the 2000 computer game that came in General mills cereals.

Such a good game has been ruined. it used to be entertaining and fun to watch and play along to. nowadays, it's just a thing of the past.

No feeling, no nothing.

Author: gmttgn
10 February 2017

I liked Millionaire because it had feeling. But when they changed the format, the graphics, the music, it just took all that away. There's no suspense, no drama, no nothing. It's just nothing now. The new host is not really exciting either. I liked Millionaire with the hot seat, the suspenseful music, the ominous lighting, and Regis Philbin. But they just threw it in the trash and ruined it. If the guys behind Millionaire decide to redo the format right now, they should do it right. The classic format is the way to go. Just offering one million dollars is not enough. The audience should react to the events going on in this particular game show, because that's how the creators intended it to be. Overall, not as enjoyable as it was 15 years ago.

Was continuing this show without Regis necessary?

Author: raisleygordon from Ladson, SC
7 September 2016

I just watched Ken Jennings try his luck at winning a million dollars ( it's available on YouTube), and sadly, even he couldn't win the top prize. Now I was sure he would because of that 74-day winning streak on Jeopardy. But when he got stuck and had to use all three lifelines on one question, I wasn't so sure anymore. And why exactly does this show need to be continued anyway? A millionaire (on this show) is a rarity, which brings to mind only one question: Why bother? I always enjoyed WWTBAM with Regis, but after his departure, the show lost its magic. To say that Meredith Viera was no Regis is a big understatement. If her heart was in it at all, then it was only in the game, and nothing more. She may have been a decent host, but she wasn't a memorable one. And even more changes were made, besides different hosts. The contestant or the host don't sit anymore. Plus, there's no longer a fastest finger segment, which, in my humble opinion, was a great way to decide who gets to play next. Why they removed it is a big question. Does standing up change anything? Hard to tell. Now, Regis did host Super Millionaire a couple years after he left and returned for the 10th anniversary edition. But that's about all the additional Regis you're gonna get. This is like a scripted show. You lose an original, yet the show continues. It's probably not a good enough reason to cancel it, but it would certainly help if it weren't on anymore. I wonder what Regis thinks of the changes made to the show he once made not only popular, but memorable. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't like them either. After Regis left, the show should have gone with him.

Millionaire Got it Wrong

Author: Iseult Healy from United Kingdom
14 September 2014

Saw the first ever USA show of this at beginning of September 2014. One of the questions was: which painter painted The Scream which sold for over 119 million USD in 2012. Then it gave 4 answers but the right answer was not there. The contestant just took the money without answering. The Show said it was painted by Picasso. And they were right up to a point but it was not Picasso's painting called The Scream that sold for $119 million in 2012. It was The Scream painted by Edvard Munch. And that artist's name was not in the 4 options given to the contestant. That's very sloppy research.

Any cursory look on the web will show exactly that it was Edvard Munch who painted The Scream which sold for the astronomical amount to financier Leon Black.

Fun game show

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
16 July 2006

First off, I must say that this is a fun game show. Also, I'm not sure if I've seen every episode. However, I do know the show very well. Every time I watch it, I have a lot of fun playing along and watch. This made me long to be a contestant. The thing I liked most about it are the questions. Despite the fact that I don't know that many answers, I still have fun playing along. I hope the WUSA Network keeps it on so I can play along and watch again. If that happens, I will be really happy. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever. Now, in conclusion, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

Not what it used to be.....

Author: RHeckman00@hotmail.com from Sidney, OH
27 August 2004

some people may not have liked Regis, but cmon, at least he gave the show some enthusiasm, humor, and excitement.....The show is sooo boring these days with the female host....She is boring, her jokes are dull, and she has no enthusiasm whatsoever....After a contestant answers a higher level question, she will try to make the contestant nervous into thinking he/she got the question wrong, but she'll say some of the absolutely dumbest things while doing so....Also, quite frankly, some of the guests are outright weird....I mean, seriously, do they screen any of these people before they let them on the show....Regis's Millionaire is a game show classic, but the newer version just isn't making the grade

Meredith is wonderful

Author: Paul Clough (bjorksjoga) from Davenport, IA, USA
3 January 2003

I didn't care for Regis Philbun as host. He seemed to make the contestants feel so uncomfortable. However, Meredith Viera is a wonderfully funny woman, and she is very comfortable with the contestants, and her smile is as warm as the noon time sun. So I hope that the show lasts for a long time, and Meredith stays on my television at 8:30/9:30 C until she decides that it is time to move on.

Delightful content... Horrible production... Still watch it

Author: piercejeans from United States
1 May 2017

OK... nobody gets everything right. The Producers forgot that people at home are actually TRYING TO PLAY ALONG IN THE GAME. The announcer... Chris... is excellent and perfect for the show. The lights and music and noise... is way too overproduced. The camera motion is enough to make Dramamine noneffective. The Titanic had less sickening motion.

OK... if we were just looking for a pretty light show... well done. Except its all blue.

If you are looking to play along, being that mostly smarter more intellectually oriented people will be attracted to such shows... good luck. The constant breakaways and sweeping lights and momentary question viewing makes it almost impossible to be there with the contestants. Rookie mistake. Always keep in mind the viewer point of view.

I would love to see the dollar ladder and the question in a box in a corner of the screen... all the time. It's very hard to read and concentrate on long questions when they are only on screen for five seconds. Same mistake as Family Feud... you can't see the answer board long enough.

Yes, I play along at home with both Millionaire and Family Feud... but the Producers only want you to look at the people and be distracted by the pretty lights. Sigh.

One Of The Best TV Quiz Game Show In History

Author: Desertman84 from United States
14 February 2015

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and now informally called as Millionaire is an afternoon syndicated TV quiz show wherein a contestant has the opportunity to win as much as $1 million for correctly answering a series of multiple questions.Just like its nighttime telecast,the contestant was required to answer a series of multiple choice questions with increasing difficulty and the prize offered for each question increases from $100 to $1 million.But since 2010,the format was modified wherein the contestant are required to answer fourteen questions of random difficulty and random cash prizes.The show was hosted by Terry Crews,who took over for Cedric The Entertainer,who hosted it for two years(2013- 14).Meredith Veira was the show's host for more than a decade(2002- 2013).

While it started out as a popular TV show back in 1999 when it was the first show that offered $1 million and it was night time TV show that was hosted by Regis Philbin,it no longer became the same show as it used to be after it was transferred as an afternoon TV show.The hosts just did not level with Regis Philbin. Meredith lacks energy and enthusiasm while Cedric The Entertainer would be somewhat over-the-top.Added to that,it was shown at an unlikely hour when people are tuned in over their television.But nevertheless,it still provides delight and entertainment to the viewer as well as information and education.Overall,it remains as one of the best game shows in history.