IMDb > "What I Like About You" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"What I Like About You"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"What I Like About You" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

What DON'T I Like About It?

Author: CaptHayfever from Not close enough to that apartment
1 November 2002

Great. Show.

Simon Rex does very well as Val's caring, 'frustrated', & kinda dumb boyfriend Jeff. Wesley Jonathan (City Guys) also capably handles his role as Holly's friend Gary.

Then the REAL stars. Jennie Garth was arguably the single most talented cast member of 90210, so it's good to see her in something that's actually watchable now. She does a great job as Val, and is much funnier than most predicted she'd be.

Amanda Bynes. What more can I say? She's (literally) the reason this show was created, she plays the main character Holly perfectly, she's one of the best physical comediennes still living today, she's funny, she's a gifted actress, she's very down-to-earth and normal off-screen, she's smart, she's a great improvisor, and she's beautiful. What more could someone ask for?

My only problem is that they should've used the original song for the opening; otherwise, the show's superb.

This show is well-written, well-acted (of course), well-premised (if that's even a word), and well-casted (duh, it's Amanda). I can't wait for next week's episode, and I encourage all of you to watch.

Very Cute

Author: (missygoldstein@aol.com) from New York, NY
2 January 2004

There are about 3 shows on tv today that I feel are even remotely watchable. The rest are either "reality shows" or just plain crap. Just to clarify; I think reality shows are crap as well. Anyhoo, when I first saw the previews for this show I thought "looks cute" but c'mon, another lame sitcom I'm sure. Well I must admit that I've now seen this show about 3 times and was very surprised while although it does not break any new ground and is not fall off your chair hilarious, or incredibly clever it is a very charming show. Jennie Garth and Amanda Baynes are both great in their roles and work very well as sisters. I wouldn't say it's great, like the greats; news radio, seinfeld...but it is a nice show, well done, well written and nicely acted.

A terrific show.

Author: Liana (shadow_empress) from Canada
19 May 2003

Whether you live in the U.S., or in Canada (and if you have cable), you'll be able to enjoy the laugh-out-loud comedy of 'What I Like About You'.

'What I Like About You' stars Amanda Bynes as Holly, Jennie Garth as Val, Simon Rex as Jeff, and Wesley Jonathon as Gary. Together, they are hilarious. Amanda Bynes gets to express a more mature type of comical material, leaving the little kid in 'All That' and 'The Amanda Show' behind.

Jennie Garth, previously starring in 'Beverly Hills 90210' seems kind of tedious and uptight as the older sister to Bynes, but she appears to loosen up into a nice, more humorous groove after awhile.

The story is like this: Holly (Bynes) has to move in with her older sister, Val (Garth), after their Father is moving to Japan. These two don't exactly go together like whipped cream and pumpkin pie (or whatever it is you think is a great combo!), but they love each other, and learn to get along in the end. After all, it's for the greater good!

I recommend this show to anyone who needs a laugh.

Lots of Slapstick

Author: lzf0 from United States
21 September 2002

I wasn't expecting much. Just another boring, predictable "talking heads" situation comedy. But this show was different. Amanda Bynes has a background of playing broad comedy on Nickelodeon shows. Jennie Garth is best remembered for playing teen angst on "Beverly Hills, 90210". Inside the silly plot of the pilot, which was similar to an RKO short subject comedy of the 1940s or 1950s, physical comedy abounded. Bynes comes off like a teenaged Lucille Ball and Garth is dragged into the action. No, Garth is no straight women; she handles the physical stuff better than expected. The pilot was a good start. Now only if the writers don't allow the show to get soft and sentimental! Keep the physical comedy coming!

really good

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
6 November 2005

This has become one of my favorite shows on television. At first I only watched it for its awesome theme songs but I have become hooked on it. Every week I enjoy watching it to see what kind of predicament Holly and Val get themselves into. I think the show is very well cast and has become truly hilarious. The leads and supporting cast are both excellent, and this is a perfect vehicle for Amanda Bynes. Yay WB! I think that with a few more seasons this will become even better. The characters are well fleshed-out, and I think it will only get better with time. I like it. Not only is it well cast, but the actors work well together in a great ensemble.

*** out of ****

A mixture of traditional fare and brilliant acting

Author: owen_edwards from WGC, Herts, England (born Sandfly, Ga)
21 September 2003

The premise and scripting of WILABT are both reasonable, and compared to many comedies out there, they're excellent. However, by the standards of Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier, this is a distinctly average show.

What makes me watch it every time it's on are Amanda Bynes and Wesley Jonathon. Jonathon is a great character actor, and livens up what could be a dull character (the "Best Friend"). The part of Henry is excellently written, which surprised me, as the Val and Jeff characters are both weak.

But as I said above, Amanda Bynes makes this a good show. Easily the most talented teen on television, and in the top 10, whatever age, of current times, she's a great asset to the show. Rubber faced, with what could be described as a "beauty in repose", she takes a part that's been poorly-written, with physical humour that could easily look horrible, and makes it funny.

What America may have found here is a true star - not a mildly talented actress like Lindsay Lohan who has the scripting to make her a star, or a "piece of ass" (to quote one critic) like Hillary Duff...but a true superstar. Long make she reign as Queen of Teens.

Interesting Premise

Author: AtomicAnthony from Queens, NY
2 February 2003

This show has an interesting premise, I enjoy it very much. Amanda Bynes is the funniest. The jokes are original, the drama catches my attention, and the actors are just great. I would rate this 9 stars out of 10. Good job, and keep the episodes coming!

What I like about "What I Like About You"

Author: smooth_op_85 from United States
12 December 2006

While I would say I enjoy the show, I expected something completely different from when I first saw 'What I like about you' I expected to find something along the lines of 'All That' (I am not sure if it is going on anymore) but I have to say I do like the show and while i don't classify it as a breakthrough show, it is very charming and I do like the chemistry between the characters as well (including the supporting cast)

I would definitely say that it is great to see Wesley Jonathan back on the screen because I really loved him in City Guy. I had also seen the woman who plays Valerie's friend in Popular and while I think that was an okay show, I do not really like her character in this show because she's just not my cup of tea but she rounds it out pretty well

What I DON'T like about you

Author: ikoiko33 from United States
7 January 2009

This show is painful to watch ...

It is obvious that the creators had no clue what to do with this show, from the ever changing "jobs", boyfriends, and cast. It appears that they wanted to cast Amanda Bynes in something ... but had no idea what, and came up with this crappy show. They cast her as a teen, surrounded by twenty and thirty somethings, and put her in mostly adult situations at repeatedly failed attempts at comedy. Soon, they realize that she needs a "clique" and cast people in their late 20s to try to pass as teenagers.

How this show survived 4 seasons is beyond me. Somehow, ABC has now decided that it is a "family" show, and thrown it into it's afternoon lineup on ABC Family.

A critic proof series, where the fans won't care that this self-indulgent star vehicle for Bynes becomes a tween version of "Friends"

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
15 April 2006

Network: WB; Genre: Sitcom, Teen; Content Rating: TV-PG (some suggested sexual content); Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: Complete Series (4 seasons)

Since I'm not an 11-year-old girl, the exclusive demographic this show is catered to, fans of "What I Like About You" can take the following with a grain of salt.

Creator Dan Schneider took Amanda Bynes from being a regular on Nickelodeon's kid-sketch series "All That" (which we now know as a breeding ground for the annoying child stars of yesteryear to become the annoying movie stars of tomorrow), and into her own spin-off kid variety series, "The Amanda Show". Even though "Amanda" was greeted with a fair amount of detest and revulsion from its own demo, it did well enough to let Bynes proceed up and off the Nickelodeon ladder.

Now, Schneider successfully transitions Bynes away from her Nickelodeon roots and into an adult, or at least teenage, network series. "What I Like About You" is a "real show". It has a glossy sitcom intro, traditional sitcom stories and pairs Bynes up with a real ex-cast member of "Beverly Hills, 90210" in Jennie Garth.

Yes, I could have started this review explaining the premise, that "You" is about two opposite-minded sisters whose age gap is bridged when they have to move in together after their father skips the country and leaves free-spirited Holly (Bynes) with straight-laced, New York, Val (Garth). But that doesn't quite do it. "You" is really just a star vehicle for Bynes, set on convincing the world that she is the next great comic genius. Your enjoyment of the show will be directly tied to whether or not the sight of Amanda Bynes tearing around the set, mugging, screaming and throwing the pitch of her voice up and down leaves you on the floor in stitches.

With this one goal in mind, "You" is a self-indulgent, ear-screeching, studio audience sitcom about stupid people doing stupid things and getting involved in stupid situations that any audience member could think their way out of in 10 seconds. The best thing I can say here is that, while it may create a painful wince, it isn't offensive. But everything about it is recycled with a bargain-basement laziness. It works manically, in a transparently contrived attempt to seem cute and spunky. The livelier it is the more people might not notice that it is totally empty. It is broad stuff, trying to be screwball comedy.

Fans won't care, the series plays to its audience loyally and I can't fault it for that, but everybody else steer clear. Anyone over the age of 12 will find this to be a quintessentially worthless sitcom: a 1-star show with 1-star writing, 1-star acting, a 1-star concept and 1-dimensional characters.

Girls growing up with Bynes will probably appreciate seeing her in more "adult" situations (for the WB and Nickelodeon, that is) and won't mind that "You" becomes a straight-out Tween version of "Friends". Over the course of 4 seasons, Holly faces the highs and lows of relationships. Holly is paranoid and confused of the actions of the boys she dates. "You" grabs the nearest clichés it can reach and uses them to propel itself through the seasons. It becomes an interminable cycle of endless break-ups and get-togethers, the final lap consumed with a "Friends"-style, back-and-forth relationship between Holly and Vince (Nick Zano) as well as Val and firefighter Vic (Dan Cortese) with the predictable endings. Oh yes, amid the slapstick, "You" doesn't waste an opportunity to pour on schmaltzy sentiment about romantic or sisterly love.

Backing up Bynes and Garth is the usual sitcom group of friends, the most notable being 3rd season regular Leslie Grossman, who now finds herself in the wacky, sexually-eccentric friend role after making big waves as a volcano of discovered talent on the WB's brief flirt-with-teen-brilliance, "Popular". A total waste.

I just watched HBO's "Unscripted" in which an "All That" casting director says that Krista Allen's son isn't funny and she, rightly, storms back in to tell the woman off. But there is an age where being told you aren't funny is constructive criticism and given that she has now graduated to the big screen, it is safe to say that Amanda Bynes is past that age.

* / 4