IMDb > "Still Standing" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Still Standing" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Irresistible rebels

Author: newnanj
5 December 2003

I could not disagree with the previous commenter more. I loved "Roseanne" (for the first few years), I love "The King of Queens", I've grown to like "Yes, Dear", and I also *love* "Still Standing". There is plenty of room for more stories about societal rebels who grow up, have kids, and are still rebels. I find Mark Addy and Jaimie Gertz irresistible in terms of their comic timing as well as endearing because of the character they bring to the well-written parts.

Cracks me up every week.

Author: avigon from Maryland
28 July 2004

I love this show. I think it is funny and realistic.

I think that some sitcoms try to sugarcoat everything, but this isn't one of them. Roseanne tried to show "real" family life, but it ended up going too far. I think that Still Standing hits it right on the money.

The parents do dumb stuff at times, but you know in the end that they love their kids...even if we hardly ever see little Tina. lol

The characters are hysterical and Jami Gertz is just too funny. I love her accent. Every week it has me cracking up. I don't watch too many TV shows, but this is one that I always try to make sure I get to see.

The best comedy of the 2002 season.

Author: Aurthur from Canada
14 October 2002

Despite the bad comments of this show I've read on this site, be assured this show is funny. In fact, it's beyond doubt the funniest show of the new season. Sure "Good Morning, Miami" had hotties Ashley Williams and "Queen of Swords" Tessie Santaigo, but it's nowhere near as funny.

I decided to watch it because it's after Raymond and Jamie Gertz is hot. I was expecting a mildly-amusing sitcom as the trailers hadn't overly impressed me, but found it to be HILARIOUS. Funnier than Becker, and two lovely ladies in the main cast make it very watchable.

Don't believe the bad reviews, this show is good and I'd follow Still Standing to anywhere CBS tried to put it.

"Still Standing"- I hope it's still on for a long, long time.

Author: stoogedude (stoogedude@hotmail.com) from Illinois
15 January 2005

I look forward to every Monday night to see Still Standing. It is a funny show, with good actors and a lot of talent. Mark Addy is the typical football loving, remote control addict father. He is very funny as Bill. Jami Gertz is a fun loving mother, who loves her kids, but doesn't care what they do. It's almost similar to Married..with Children, but not as dysfunctional. Brian is a brainiac who can't believe he actually lives in a family like he does. Lauren just tries to live a normal life with her friends, but can't escape the embarrassment her parents put on her. And Tina is witty girl who is unpredictable all the time. I fail to see how people can say they hate this show, because I enjoyed it from day 1. This is in no way a rip off of Everybody Loves Raymond. This is it's own show by itself. CBS has a hit on it's hands.

Good show. Still watching...

Author: Eric-1226 from Seattle, Washington
17 December 2002

I have watched only a few of the episodes so far, and I kick myself for not having seen more of the early ones, or at least having taped them. I really like what I've seen - I could watch this one all season!

What do I like about it? Well, for starters, I like the Jami Gertz character, Judy Miller. Of course, I could watch Jami Gertz reading the phone book and I'd be entertained. (Jami Gertz? Is that really Jami Gertz, who played opposite Kevin Bacon in "Quicksilver" (1986) and in "The Lost Boys" (1987)??). Anyway, it's great to see her in a fun role, and she does a very pleasing job with it.

I also like the Mark Addy character, as the husband and father, Bill Miller. I don't mind at all that he is British, even though I DO find myself double-checking his speech to see if I can hear any trace of an accent. That being said, I guess I can see where anyone who has any personal connection to Chicago would be horrified to find a Brit playing this role...

Oh well, it really isn't important. What IS important is that (from what I've seen thus far) the show has a gentle, wry sense of humor, and has nicely plotted story lines, which, though not quite as twisty, kind of remind me of "Seinfeld".

Speaking of comparisons to other TV shows, "Still Standing" somewhat reminds me of "Married With Children", only without quite the cynicism, dysfunctionality, and borderline bathroom humor. And I hope it doesn't stray into that territory.

In conclusion, let me sum up: "Still Standing" - A good show. I'm still watching...

One of the funniest shows on TV.

Author: docwho69 from Springfield, MO
13 November 2002

You have to relate to it for it to be funny. Someone who can't relate will probably find this show lame, much the same can be said of shows like Yes Dear too. Still Standing does not appeal to all audiences but my wife, myself, and all of our friends find it hilarious.

Absolutely Fabulous!!

Author: LisaRenee from Denver, CO
6 January 2003

Anyone who can't laugh at "Still Standing" is a sniveling snob that lacks a street-smart sense of humour. Mark Addy and Jami Gertz are a wonderful team that consists of Mr and Mrs Middle-Class America. The common life they portray will keep you rolling from their hysterical imperfections and how they deal with them as a family. If we could all laugh at ourselves....what a wonderful world this would be.

Worth watching

Author: realmusicman from Calgary, AB
29 March 2004

The entire sitcom premise has run its course as of late without a lot of originality or true humour. However, I have found this sitcom to be the happy exception to the rule.

"Still Standing" is one of those shows that I found solely by accident. As one who intentionally avoids television most of the time, I stumbled on this program while engaging in the rare activity of channel surfing. The show exhibits a fresh sense of humour and while somewhat cliché in character development, the writers have managed to create some new ideas and humour within this formula.

While not destined to become the top sitcom of all time, "Still Standing" is innovative and humorous and perhaps deserves a look.

Mark Addy is hilarious!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
11 October 2002

So far, CBS has the best sitcoms. I love "Becker," but if any show has the right to replace its time slot, it's this show which perfectly tops off the Monday night lineup. The pilot is jam-packed with big laughs. Mark Addy is the perfect Archie Bunker-type TV Dad. Jami Gertz is a great TV wife. She's also gotten a lot prettier over the years. The second episode isn't as funny, with Addy's English accent slipping more often. But I still liked it. Hell, it was hard to live up to the hilarious pilot. Hopefully, the show will continue to be funny and the writing won't get stale, because this really does look like a promising sitcom.

My score (the pilot): 9 (out of 10) (the second episode): 7 (out of 10)

Overall score: 8 (out of 10)

Funny series - should still be making new episodes

Author: frank-phillips (frank.phillips@gmail.com) from United States
7 July 2007

We watch this show on reruns every afternoon. It should still be in production, making new episodes. A feature length movie would be possible -- delving into Bill and Judy's earlier years. I think there is much to be mined about their youth -- neither had a great childhood -- their alcohol consumption in future years. All with lots of humor. I am compiling a list about the show, e.g. -- "What the hell?" -- Judy's 3 little words words before she let Bill kiss her the first time. I would love to see a reunion show on TV -- seriously! It could go into Brian saving his parents from losing their home after Bill loses his job. Lauren could become a famous singer. Whatever happened to Tina? She seemed to be most like her Dad. Brian and Bill must have a great deal in common. Bill's dad didn't understand him, called him a sissy, just like Brian's dad calls him a sissy and girlie. In retrospect -- was Judy really the bad girl in school Bill seems to think she was? Maybe, maybe not. Was she really out of his league or did she just play him as she does in every episode?

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]