"The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Nothing new here.

Author: fishbulbIV from rather not say
24 May 2003

OK, since I'm in a library right now & not typing on my own computer, I'll try to keep this short & sweet. This is a great show for kids, but, it's a 30 minute sleeping pill for anyone in the 'over 13' category.

When you get right down to it, there's really nothing new about it. Stupid parents, a super - annoying father with a big nose, secret loves & weird friends are how almost all of the nicktoons are like. Plus, you gotta admit, it is a knock off of Dexter's Lab. The only difference between this & Dexter Lab is fact that everyone knows Jimmy's an inventor/scientist (Gee, where have were have we seen that before on a Nicktoon? *cough* Rugrats *cough*).

Yuck!!!

Author: (scotties_forever@yahoo.com) from United States
9 March 2008

This is the worst cartoon show ever!!!! It's stupid and pointless and isn't funny and it's also boring. For starters its about a boy genius who invents various things. The idea of the show is OK but it just doesn't have a spark no life it just comes up flat. It also has stupid things in the show like evil pants and man eating Lima beans. I also don't like the fact that a 10 year old boy can solve all the towns problems and I also don't like the fact that a genius would hang out with such dimwitted friends. They should have just stuck with the movie. But if you are in the mood for a show about a boy genius watch Dexter's laboratory instead of this turd!!!

1/10 stars simply yuck!!!!!

A second rate version of Dexter's Lab

Author: prestonwardcondra from San Antonio, Texas
31 October 2015

A cartoon that epitomizes the word mediocre. While there are a few good episodes of Jimmy Neutron, most notably the Jimmy-Timmy Power Hour specials and few other ones here and there, there isn't much saving grace to this cartoon beyond labeling it as a second rate version of Dexter's Laboratory.

The characters don't evolve much, or hardly at all and it makes every plot of every episode predictable and therefore boring.

It started efficient enough with the Pants pilot episode. It's just that the "humor" revolves around the characters making fools out of themselves rather than well-thought out humor like in Dexter's Lab.

As mentioned before, the characters don't evolve much, Carl and Sheen are especially irritating and act as just dumb lackeys to Jimmy for 90% of the time in the show. Jimmy's Dad (Hugh) loves ducks and pie. Ehhh.

I don't know it's just I don't find every episode where Jimmy's failed experiment going array and Jimmy and his crew saving the day at the tail end of (almost) every episode to not be very entertaining.

The voice acting and animation itself is fine but, where's plot writing and well thought humor (to me comes first) the discussion of bells and whistles here doesn't mean anything.

It's not the worst cartoon I've ever seen but, I no doubt will if it comes on TV (unless it's a really good episode) I'm changing the channel.

I strongly dislike this cartoon

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
7 May 2012

I tried to like this series. I really tried.

I have nothing against CGI animated series (In fact, I liked lots of them) but I found "Jimmy Neutron" (Both the TV show and the movie) to be awful. Mostly because all the characters from this series are uninteresting and unlikeable (Not to mention the fact that most of them seem to be annoying clichés) but also because the humor from this series it's so bland, dull and forgettable.

Honestly, this has to be one of the most boring cartoons ever made: The jokes are lame, the plots are generic, it is hard to feel any kind of sympathy towards the unlikeable characters, and the "adventure" parts are tedious...In what concerns to the animation, the designs are ugly and unappealing, while the overall quality of it left too much to be desired, being mediocre at best.

But even the bad quality of the animation of this series (Which is pretty much worse than other CGI animated series that were done in the previous years, such as "Beast Wars" and "Beast Machines") could be forgiven, if, at least, the stories were good, or the characters were likable. Sadly, this is not the case.

"Jimmy Neutron" fails spectacularly at every single level. Seriously, just seeing the awful intro from this series lowered my expectations. And even without very much hopes put on this, "Jimmy Neutron" managed to disappoint me.

"Jimmy Neutron" is not the worst cartoon that I've seen in my life (That dubious honor belongs to other animated series) but it is one of the most boring TV shows that I've seen in my life. It is flat, dull and forgettable at best, without any redeeming quality.

Not the worst show that Nick has put out this decade, but is that really saying much?

Author: Ashleigh M. (muppetlass87) from Gaithersburg, Maryland
19 April 2010

I know a lot of people, even people who grew up with Nickelodeon in the '90s like this show, but I really don't. It's not the worst show that they've put in this network in the past decade, but seeing some of these shows (iCarly, Barnyard, etc.), that really isn't saying much. Try as I might, I cannot think of a single thing I like about this show. The characters (especially the main character) are unlikeable, the CGI is ugly, the plot has been done (really, if you want to do the "child prodigy" formula, at least try something different), the jokes are corny and predictable (if you aren't a fan of one-liners, this isn't your show), the voice acting is grating, it's just really a pain to sit through.

Spoiler: about the voice actors/actresses.

Author: andersoncaseylee246 from United States
21 May 2016

Spoiler:Normally if i didn't know a girl or adult woman voiced the character of a boy, i would have gave the series a 10 out of 10 but since the main character Jimmy Neutron was being voiced by a woman i gave it a 6 out of 10. because i believe well, personally i believe that the actors/actresses age should "always"(there are no exceptions) match the age of the character they are going to play because if i was casting the voice actors, that's what i would do. why, because it makes sense and doesn't confuse kids and stuff. to me, personally it deceives the viewer into thinking the child(the person who is voicing the character) is also a child and a boy. and if not. then the parents are in for a long haul throughout the child's(the viewer) teenage years. and stuff. Why am i saying this is because people should not be deceived for example before you even think about showing the pilot episode, have the voice actors introduce themselves along with a picture in picture of the person they voiced. then i would be satisfied but do they do this no, they do not. but they should.

The movie sucked, and the show sucks too.

Author: dootuss from PA
12 November 2002

I HATED the movie "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genious", and when I heard that Nickelodeon was having a show in ths works, I just lost it. I watched the show a couple of days ago, and I have to say, the show doesn't make a difference whatsoever. The show sucks as much as the movie did. It's not even funny. It only has 'clean humor' which is aimed at 3-6 year olds, so you know this will be a bore (which it is). Plus, the fact that it was the most watched premiere ever on Nick sickens me to my stomach.

I have to say that the show truly sucks, and it joins the ranks of other crappy Nicktoons like "Spongebob", "Butt-Ugly Martians", "Fairl Oddparents", and "Chalkzone" easily. This shouldn't have been made. Then again, the movie SHOULDN'T have been made either.

This gets no stars!!

Seriously, what's the genesis? This show is great!

Author: trooper5783 from United States
3 December 2016

When I was a kid, there were a few Nicktoons I liked, and two true Nicktoons I loved- SpongeBob, and Jimmy Neutron. The reason why Jimmy Neutron is such a good show is its imaginative surrealness of the stories and the VERY funny cast of characters that are greatly voiced. Granted, it doesn't have the heartfelt core of some other older Nicktoons nor does it have decent animation, but it's all made up for in the show's twisted yet inspired sense of humor, creative plots and even some character development. There's plenty of goofy slapstick moments for the kids to dig, and there are some tongue-in-cheek adult jokes that are all kept in good taste. The animation may look cruddy, but it's part of the weird charm of the show. The gadgets created by Jimmy are possibly one of the highlights, showing off things you'd love to have in real life. Overall, Jimmy Neutron is a hilarious cartoon that all ages can enjoy, and it's also a great part of many people'a childhoods, including mine. Enjoy!

It's crap. Pure and simple.

Author: Very Cool from If I told you, I'd have to kill you
10 October 2005

Crap. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap. It's an annoying, pathetic excuse for a cartoon that doesn't deserve it's time slot. A time slot that could be used for a much better cartoon like Fairly OddParents or SpongeBob. The person who came up with Jimm Neutron is either a - no. I'll stop right now. Why?. Because, I'm 14 and this show is aimed at a younger age group. Maybe kids find it's stupid, annoying characters and unbelievingly dull plots amusing. I don't know. I hate it. Here's why....

The characters: are all terrible, annoying, uninteresting weirdos that make you wanna hang them. Jimmy's dad (Hugh or whatever his name is) acts and moves like a homicidal maniac that should be locked up in an insane asylum, and his obsession with ducks is just plane disturbing. Sheen is the same situation. He looks like he'd commit murder just to get his hands on the newest Ultra Lord action figure. And, may I ask, what is up with Carl and his sinister love of llamas? That is just not right, I tell you, not right. Jimmy is not as completely terrible as the other characters, but he is still completely terrible, especially as a lead character. At least his not psychologically disturbed like everyone else on this show.

The animation: is waaaaaaay too exaggerated. Jimmy's dad moves like what I described him to resemble above. Sheen has those weird and sinister shifty eyes... he's definitely up to something. I know that it is a cartoon, and it shouldn't be too realistic but this is pushing it too far. And one more thing, why does everyone run like an old granny? The jokes: there's a saying that goes something along the lines of ''a joke's only as funny as the person who tells it''. Well, as I already expressed my opinions on the characters who tell the jokes, you probably know that I think the jokes are also crap. They all either fall flat on their face, or are ruined by the horrible characters. Which is a shame as there's some jokes that would actually have been quite funny on another show.

There are other problems. Like, why does Jimmy (being the Einstein that he is) hang out with brain dead idiots like Carl and Sheen? Why did the people who make this show feel it necessary to include romance when this show is clearly for small children who aren't interested in that kind of thing.

Well, that's my opinion. You may well disagree but that you're opinion. As for me, I'll be avoiding this show as long as it haunts the TV schedule.

Lame-o! **mild spoilers**

Author: Hancock_the_Superb from United States
8 November 2002

I won't give away too much plot, but I think we can safely say that this, in the grand Nick tradition, sucks.

Now it's not the worst show on Nick; "Chalk Zone", "The Fairly Oddparents", and (shudder) Buttuglymartians . . . take your pick. No matter how bad this show is, those three are still ten times worse.

That said, let's get down to insultin' it.

The humor is atypical "clean humor", i.e., not funny at all, unless you're six years old. Now, though I do find some (well-written or presented) gross-out or crude humor funny, but it's not the only kind of humor I like. How 'bout satire, or dry humor? "Dilbert" (the comic strip; I haven't had the fortune to see the TV series yet), for example, hardly ever uses profanity and vulgarity, and yet is still hilarious because it knowns what it's talking about. The "Blackadder" serieses, in spite of occasional sexual humor (and a good bit of profanity), is usually extremely funny without resorting to "Ren and Stimpy"-esque gross-outiness. "The Simpsons" in their heyday (again, despite the character's acid tongues) were hilarious because they were satirizing America in general; only in recent years have they REALLY gone down hill.

But this show. This . . . show . . . sucks.

It's as funny as being shot in the head with a Parrot gun (a huge rifled type of siege artillery for those of you who aren't Civil War geeks) POINTBLANK with solid shell AND canister!

The humor is aimed, obviously, at three year olds. None of the wisecracks, characters, or sight gags are the least bit funny ("Normal Jimmy" rivals every one of the the "Butt Ugly Martians" eps as one of the worst episodes a TV show has ever produced). All of the adults are idiots, but the kids (supposedly the "heroes") are equally stupid (even "genius" Jimmy).

The trivia that Carol Lawrence (who plays Sandy Cheeks on "Spongebob Squarepants") is Cindy Vortex does not sway my view at all for two reasons. 1.: I have learned that just because a good actor is in a film/TV show/et al, doesn't mean it's good (practically ANYTHING with Jim Cummings these days, a good many John Wayne films, "Hang 'Em High", "High Plains Drifter", "The Lost World", et al); and 2) I don't particularly like Sandy anyway.

Two stars because, as God-awful as it is, I've still seen worse . . . MUCH worse.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]