IMDb > Underworld (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Underworld

Underworld More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 81: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Enjoyable!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
26 February 2011

Underworld is a pretty good movie. I had my doubts about it at first but I decided to give it a shot. I saw this only mere weeks after I saw the Twilight films so I was expecting the same. Well, this movie is so much different. There is so much violence and action here. The love story appears to be the back story.

This takes place during a centuries old war between Lycans which are werewolves and vampires. This movie tells a love story between a vampire Selene and a hybrid in Michael.

The acting is pretty good. Kate Beckinsale in a leather suit is definitely good to look at. Bill Nighy is a formidable screen presence as the vampire elder. I also have to say the same for Michael Sheen.

Overall, this is a good movie to watch. If you like stories about vampires and werewolves, this is for you. I rate this film 8/10.

Entertaining but nothing remarkable

Author: valleyjohn from United Kingdom
28 January 2011

Lets face it , whats is there not to like about Kate Beckinsale running around in a leather catsuit? OK it might not be everyone's things but Underworld . in its own right is a pretty enjoyable vampire / Werewolf action flick. The first in a sequence of films , that look extremely good and has so much extreme sound it bombards your eardrums. I'm a big fan of Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen and they are both good value for money as Lycan and Vampire respectively. It reminded me a little of the Blade films but maybe not quite a good. My advise would be to not watch the extended version as i did because 2 hours 10 minutes is a little too long to take.

Stylish Flick

Author: donavanman1969 from United States
6 June 2010

Not THE best movie ever, but this is a clever movie that kept my attention throughout. I watch it whenever it comes on TV because it is a movie you can enjoy over and over. Whether for Kate or the werewolf vs vampire battles, this is simply good stuff. The characters are believable, they behave in ways that we would in their situation, and the acting is good as well. If you do not enjoy this movie, it is because it is a genre that you do not enjoy. Period. Summary of the story is that you have a guy who is destined to become a werewolf (lychan is what they are called in the movie) and for some reason Kate's character takes a liking to him. She doesn't know if it's love or like, but she is fond of him and wants to protect him and find out the secrets that the werewolves are hiding. Sit back and enjoy.

One Of My New Favourite B-Movies

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
27 May 2010

Vampires and Werewolves have been sworn enemies for hundreds of years. Now fought in a Gothic-like setting, the conflict takes an unexpected and deadly new turn. Selene, a beautiful vampire warrior, uncovers a Lycan plot that could prove fatal for her entire race. She shadows a human, Michael, the Lycan's supposed target. Although she finds herself becoming attracted to him, he becomes infected with the lupine disease during a violent struggle with the Lycan overlord, Lucian, long thought to be dead. Now both sides must decide how to end the conflict and save their species as new and terrifying secrets unearth themselves and threaten their entire existence. This Movie Was A Lot Better Than Expected. I Really Enjoyed This. The Acting Is Amazing (Acting Caliber Or Not). In A Movie With The Plot "During War With Vampires & Lycans A Vampire Discovers They Are After Someone & She Needs To Figure Out Why" You Wouldn't Expect Character Development But You Get It. This Even Has A Couple Of Songs By One Of My Favourite Musicians (Amy Lee). When I Found Out Sophia Myles Was Gonna Be In This I Thought "The Chick From Thunderbirds In A Vampire Movie? Len Wiseman Certainly Doesn't Lack Imagination" Speaking Of Len Wiseman To Make A Directing Debut In Something Like This Is A Great Move. Whether The Critics (Hated It Critics) Like It Or Not This Film Is A Classic & Will Be For Many Generations To Come & This Couldn't Be As Embarrassing To Vampires As "Twilight".

The story of Werewolves and Vampires

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
27 April 2010

Werewolves at one point were the daylight guardians of the Vampires. But the union of the two resulted in a war that has raged on for centuries.

Selene is a 'Death-Dealer' whose sole purpose is to eradicate the Lycans (Werewolves), but her discovery into the history of her kind, makes her question her loyalties.

This is a 'Matrix crossed with Vampires and Werewolves' kind of movie that is not meant to question the audience but to excite them, and this movie does that. It has a brilliant opener as Selene stands over the city below and then war ensues in the tunnels.

However, the action itself is limited, but focuses on the storyline which in my opinion is its strongest quality, it's dark and intense with Werewolf transformation that leave nothing to the imagination.

I just wasted my time.....

Author: brandon_lee420 from 21 Stalker St, Pedo Way
10 January 2010

...making a hamburger while I missed out on a great Vampire-Lycan movie that stars Kate Beckinsale as the Vampire Selene. I took the disc out and inserted it again while my sister was telling me that I suck sh*t. The movie was great, it had plenty of action, scares, fights, and great special effects. Bill Nighy gives the best performance in this movie as he portrays a Vampire that goes by the name of Viktor along side his Vampire-daughter Kate Beckinsale A.K.A Selene. Scott Speedman could have done better but he was still alright while Sophie Myles sucked big turd. Vampire lovers will definitely like this movie and the same with Lycan (Werewolf) lovers. It tells a story of a war that has raged on for centuries between Vampires and their one-time slaves the Lycans. The battles are brutal, hardcore, full of energy, and very stylish. I have to give two thumbs up to the special effects guys and the makeup artists. The Vampires need to be all white and cold and the makeup artists have done that really good. The special effects guys were really neat when the humans change into Lycans and they looked cool and Lycan-like. Len Wiseman has directed a great movie with some flaws that get bigger and bigger as the movie progresses. The picture for Underworld looks really creative because you can see Selene (Vampire) stand on the ledge and in the background you can see a Lycan (on the moons surface. The film has a dark atmosphere that engulfs you and gives you a great good movie type of feeling. I strongly suggest that you don't eat popcorn during the movie because you will likely throw up at the person nearest to you and vice versa.

Selene, a Vampire, fights Lycans through night like many other Vampires. It's when she meets Michael, a hybrid of both species, and falls in love with him and later she struggles to stop the unnecessary war. Fighting through her own kind as well as Lycans, she has to protect Michael from dying because he is the only one who can settle this.

The battles are purely fantastic and it never disappoints. The sound through the battles are amazing and they make the battles a little bit better. The story is excellent but sometimes is a little tiny bit slow. The battles that are the best are in the end with Michael in his hybrid form fighting Vampires. Surround sound will make the viewing a little bit better. Don't think about buying this because you won't watch this everyday, renting is much smarter. Underworld is great and the sequels are necessary but the third one is totally a waste of money. We know what's going to happen anyway because they tell us this in this film. Underworld is so good it will have your blood boiling to maximum temperature (am I exaggerating?). The script is pretty exceptional but a little bit more work could have been done on it. Overall, this is a enjoyable film that will work for some and not so for others. As I said, Renting will be better.

a very good stylish vampire flick

Author: Jamie_Seaton from United Kingdom
30 October 2009

Len Wisemen seems like a big up and coming director. he has also directed the sequel to this plus Die Hard 4 which is a brilliant film. i'm hoping to hear more from this upcoming director. i think Kate Beckinsale is good in this as a vampire. plus Bill Nighy makes a brief but good performance as the vampire king. Michael Sheen who is also in Frost/Nixon and the sequel and prequel to this is very good as a werewolf.

the story basically is about a rivalry between vampires and werewolves. then one day Selene (Kate Beckinsale) finds out a plot the werewolves are planning and it starts a war that ends in carnage.

obviously this isn't no classic memorable film but at the end of the day not many vampire films are. if you want a slick action film with good action scenes and good story then check this one out............ 8/10..........j.d Seaton

Vampires,Werewolves,and a sexy Kate Beckinsale

Author: kirk-246 from United States
13 July 2009

'Underworld' has everything that horror and action fans should want: violence, action, a good cast, vampires, werewolves, real-looking stunts, and a good storyline.The only thing that this movie lacks is sex.I don't have a problem with there only being one passionate kiss in the movie, but some people wish that there was more "action", if you know what I mean.The sequel manage to take care of that problem.If there's one person we should thank for his/her performance in this movie, it should be Kate Beckinsale. Thank God that she took the part of Selene.Without her,the movie probably wouldn't be as good as I am describing how good it really is.I really want to see the third film.It looks really cool.

surprisingly good!

Author: kingderella from Switzerland
26 February 2008

being a movie about leather-clad vampires fighting werewolves with guns, underworld will never be regarded as a cinematic masterpiece and brilliant work of art, but thats not what it wants to be in the first place. it wants to entertain, and while doing so, it manages to be a surprisingly good movie too.

no, underworld hardly breaks any new ground. and yes, it has its flaws. the limitations of the budget show throughout the movie, the action scenes are quite unspectacular for an action movie, and Shane Brolly is just terrible. but the rest of the cast does pretty well. especially Kate Beckinsale plays the lead character to perfection and she has great chemistry with romantic interest Scott Speedman and father figure Bill Nighy. the Gothic set and costume designs are beautiful. the most surprising thing, however, is how well constructed the story is. this kind of action/fantasy/sci-fi movies often have terrible plots, but underworld is built on a story that actually makes sense, comes with a decent twist, and even resonates emotionally. while its not as good as matrix, its much better than van hellsing, catwoman, aeon flux, ultraviolet, or about any other movie of this kind.

Better than I expected

Author: guyfromjerzee from United States
16 July 2004

Whenever I watch movies of this sort, I'm always afraid that I'm going to watch a special effects extravaganza that's all style and no substance. I honestly feel that a great film can be made without flashy f/x, but as long as the whole feature is not merely a showcase for those f/x, I don't have a problem. That was the case with "Underworld." Along with the fast-paced action sequences is a well-written story that develops nicely throughout the course of the film. It is an original spin on the age-old vampire tale. As one of the co-writers pointed out in an interview, the film is based more on science than folklore. Therefore, don't expect your usual wooden crosses and stakes through the heart. The director's intention was to create an action film, only featuring vampires and werewolves (referred to as Lycans). Personally, I still think it falls into the horror genre, but it doesn't follow too many of the cliches of its genre. The story is hard-to-follow at times, but that's part of what I liked. I like when a movie challenges me to pay attention and use my brain, rather than insult my intelligence. So those who are expecting wall-to-wall action, blood and gore might be disappointed. I think the film's rich storyline is what made it a success. I was impressed to find out it was made for a little over 20 million. As the director pointed out in the DVD commentary, the budget for this movie is half of what is costed to make the chase sequence in "Matrix Reloaded." So I can't classify this as high-budget trash, because there wasn't even a high budget. But it's not low-budget trash either. It's funny how I just read a review complaining about the film's cheesy "CGI effects." There was hardly any CGI! Most of the effects are practical, which is refreshing in a day and age where directors seem to live and die by CGI (hey, it rhymes!). Kate Beckinsale makes a great heroine, and brings a nice element of class to the film. Plus, seeing her roam around in a tight rubber suit didn't cause any complaints on my part. Boy, is she beautiful! And for the ladies, there's Scott Speedman who brings a nice vulnerability to his role. It's a lot more impressive than his flat performance in "Dark Blue." I loved the whole look of the film. It almost appears film-noirish. If you want to see a horror movie that delivers and isn't full of cliches, you'll be in for a treat. (7 out of 10)