IMDb > "Life with Bonnie" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Life with Bonnie" More at IMDbPro »

A gentle, classy sitcom

Author: katlover888 from Carson, CA
26 February 2003

Whenever I see critiques that are split between very good reviews and very bad reviews, with nothing in between, I know that the show is worth watching, the book is worth reading, the politician is worth listening to. So it is with Life with Bonnie.

It follows in the tradition of the very best of family comedy - from I Love Lucy to the Dick Van Dyke Show to Eight is Enough to Mr. Belvedere. Unfortunately, the form has been in short supply for the past decade, replaced by the work place comedy and the room mate comedy - forms that allow for more shock, controversy, sexual innuendo & raunch.

Those who want cutting edge comedy that cuts to the quick will not be amused by this gentle, classy sitcom.

However, if you want a show that you can watch with your 14 year old daughter and 10 year old son on one side, your husband, next to you, along with your 60 year old father and your 83 year old grandmother, this show is for you. You'll find that you are all laughing at the same things.

The humor is a kind humor that is based in age old comedy. It is not at someone's expense. The improv segments add a spontaneity. You are invited to laugh with the characters - & with the actors themselves. It is simply funny stuff for those who love a classic kind of comedy that has been out of fashion.

Refreshing, charming, and hilarious!

Author: corimari from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 September 2003

This wonderful show is an oasis in a sea of offensive and tasteless prime time programming. The majority of the network shows now rely on sex, shock, sex, dysfunctional families, gory violence, sex, obnoxious and disrespectful children, crude language, and sex...instead of good and clever writing. Bonnie isn't complicated; it showcases a loving family (they really still DO exist!); the cast is exceptionally talented, quirky, funny, and lovable; and the writing won't offend or disappoint. This show holds up and exhibits high standards. Also...DO rent Bonnie Hunt's movie "Return to Me"...it is wonderful!

Great new sitcom

Author: Cindy Johnston from Vineland, NJ
5 February 2003

This is a truly enjoyable, heartwarming and uniquely funny sitcom. Bonnie plays a mother who hosts a talk show. While chaos is happening all around her, in her homelife as well as on her job, she brings humor to the crazy situations. While a little far-fetched, it always makes me smile. Bonnie Hunt is simply adorable and the cast "make it work."

Very funny Bonnie Hunt vehicle

Author: duce122 from United States
17 September 2002

I just got done watching the pilot episode of "Life with Bonnie" and I must say it is a very funny show. The lines are delivered at an incredibly fast rate, but it is done in a very funny way. Bonnie Hunt plays a TV talk show host who leads a very hectic and stressful life. There aren't many new sitcoms out there that last, but this one should last as it is perfectly cast and well acted.

Really Great Show! A+!

Author: XsWeEtLiLGiRL90x
13 February 2004

I really like this show! The actors, plot, and the actual acting, is wonderful! This show focuses on Bonnie, a wife, mother of 3 and television talk show personality. This show focuses on Bonnie and her husband trying to juggle the kids, their jobs and still finding time for themselves. This show is very life like and very very funny! I enjoy it very much and the cute little neighbor Franky who never leaves helps it as well. The kids also act well for their ages! I recommend this show mostly to women but kids would like it too. In the end this show is great! 5 out of 5 stars! Highly Recommended!

I really miss this show.

Author: peacedovey2003 from United States
14 July 2007

What amazes me is that the reason given for getting rid of this show is that the network was aiming for young males, ages 19 - 25 and it didn't appeal to this demographic. Not according to my two sons who were 21 & 19 when it started and it was the one show they always wanted to watch with my mom and I. My 21 year-old made a point of coming up to watch it every Friday night because everyone had a really good chuckle. It was one of the few decent shows on T.V. In Tony's words, "Not anymore!". I am totally disgusted with our nasty options for television viewing now. You've lost two viewers - nothing but trash fit for only the sewer. The only show on now that I would put in a good light is 'Monk' and that's on cable which we don't have. Thanks for putting human intelligence in the gutter ABC!

Life With Bonnie - a Lament

Author: gell3334 from United States
22 August 2005

how in God's name can programmers retain such dreck as "Yes, Dear" and "Hope and Faith" yet cancel a creative and charming sitcom such as LWB? The mind boggles. It's been a few seasons since it's untimely demise, and, while there were flawed elements, and Bonnie may have been a little self-indulgent at times, the actors' joy at simply being on the air and working together was infectious. The cast was like an improv group and might as well have been called the "bonnie players", since quite a few of the cast had appeared together in one Hunt vehicle or another. If there has ever been a better Halloween episode conjured up for television, I challenge the reader to compare it to the episode in which the cast performs as characters from "The Wizard of Oz", a truly brilliant send up, and one that will forever be kept in my library to be replayed each Halloween. LWB, as under-rated though it was, developed a core audience that enjoyed the writing, improv and good cheer that each episode brought. It is sorely missed, and hopefully will wind up on DVD.

Impressed

Author: hitmouse from UK
16 October 2002

I caught an episode while channel surfing away from Frasier...and was impressed and intrigued that I forgot to change back!

There was a long interchange between Bonnie and costar Mark Derwin that I am sure was semi-improvised. If it wasn't then kudos to all for such wonderful performances.

I was just as impressed with the subsequent episode. Looks like I'll be running a tape on Tuesday nights.

BONNIE IS THE BEST!!

Author: Chip Capelli (Chip@ChipCapelli.com) from Philadelphia PA
6 October 2002

Simply put, Bonnie Hunt is brilliant. She is at her best when she is writing as well performing. Her performances in Return to Me, The Building, The Bonnie Hunt Show and now Life Wife Bonnie are amazing

I agree with the previous poster who said that Bonnie's method is to use characters to drive her plot, not a `must see' one-liner after another. Audiences didn't get it on her last outings, and though both were critically hailed, the audience doesn't like to wait for a laugh. The scene in the second episode where little Charlie Stewart and Bonnie had their exchange about the gym shorts was brilliant. When he raised his hand and said `whatever,' I my sides nearly burst. Plus, I swear it was all improv.

Now that Bonnie is in her late 30's, it makes sense for her set herself in a family situation. Bonnie must be one of the most loyal people in show business. First, in 1993, CBS offered to renew The Building with significant cast changes. Bonnie said no, because she didn't want to `dis' her friends. And if you have followed her career, you will see that Holily Wortell, Don Lake, Tom Virtue, David Alan Grier, Mark Derwin and more are in project after project with her.

I wish Bonnie and her crew all of the success in the world - it's high time that the rest of the world recognizes her.

If you haven't seen Return to Me, please do yourself a favor and rent it tonight. I cried during the first ½ hour then laughed at the rest.

I also must say that I was no fan of David Duchovny before Return to Me, thinking that he was just a snobbish personality. Once I saw his performance in RTM, I became a fan. Anyone who can deliver that kind of performance can't be all bad!

One interesting side note is that Life With Bonnie is preceded on ABC by According to Jim - Jim Belushi played Bonnie's husband in Return to Me. And, it's followed by Less Than Perfect, which stars Sara Rue, who 12 years ago played Edda Passetti on Grand as part of the ensemble cast with featured Bonnie as a neurotic heiress.

Finally, Bonnie brought the equally brilliant Carroll O'Connor's final performance to the screen. His work in RTM made me remember what a national treasure he was.

Go get 'em Bonnie!

The Third Time's the Charm

Author: loril731 (loril731@aol.com) from Northern Kentucky
20 September 2002

After watching the premiere episode of Bonnie Hunt's new sitcom, I have to say I enjoyed it even more than I expected to. Smart and funny like her previous sitcoms, "The Building" and "Bonnie", "Life with Bonnie" is sure to take fans on a hilarious ride. I'm thrilled that she's re-teamed with "Bonnie" co-star Mark Derwin, and I hope that they focus more on the familial relationships and the Molloy's marriage in future episodes. The strength of this show lies in a terrific cast and the courageous genius of using improv in the "show within a show" scenes. This show is a gem. It has such potential, I can't wait for the next episode!