IMDb > "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Jimmy Kimmel Live!" More at IMDbPro »

Great !

Author: Michael J. Santos from LA California, United States
25 February 2005

We just went to see Jimmy Kimmel Live last night(2-24-05) and we thought it was great ! Very professional production. Didn't have to wait in line very long, like some other tapings. Security was good also.

As far as the show is concerned - I think it is just as funny as its competitors. The Cousin Sal bits are hilarious. Uncle Frank is a really nice guy too ! If you are in the area, I would suggest getting tickets.

The audience isn't very large. Only about 100 people. The Band is great and the sound system is superb.

I hat this 10 line rule. Again, I think this is a great hour of late night television.

Great Show

Author: joehonaker from United States
17 June 2005

His monologue is funny, he shows funny clips from current TV shows or World Events and he does a pleasant job of interviewing. Early on, he was given week-long co-hosts which I found a fun addition but they dropped the co-host and made him stand up for his monologue and the show does seem better although I miss Co-Hosts like David Cross, Snoop Dogg, Kathie Lee, Mike Tyson and Janeane Garofalo. His best guests have been Clay Aiken, Dane Cook(Hey Kool-Aid!), Wolf Blitzer(with Kimmel's father impersonating Wolf), Quentin Tarentino, Mike Tyson.... The show has the feel of Early Letterman with a slight edge. The Jake Byrd bits are always entertaining with Tony Barbieri playing an insane(but typical) Michael Jackson fanatic. His Cousin Sal hidden camera pranks are funny and the FCC This Week in Unnecessary Censorship is one of the funniest things on TV in the last 30 years. He has a running feud with the cast of The View and it's been very enjoyable watching him rip on Tons-O-Fun Starr Jones. Uncle Frank does an OK job and is sometimes funny on Red Carpet or Street interviews. Uncle Frank is clueless, it's funny for a little while but get's old and annoying. Geuermo's(sp) Hollywood Roundup is a little boring but the show is still one of the best late night shows. I wish he'd bring that hot hot hot girlfriend(Sarah Silverman)of his on the show more, she is one beautiful yenta. If he set out to best Leno, he could have done that with a pig farting on a snare drum because Leno is just weak unfunny and sad. Jimmy Kimmel Live rivals Letterman in the overall quality of show. Hopefully he will stay on long enough for the rest of the United States to smell what Jimmy Kimmel is cooking.

Getting Better.

Author: RedWings91 from Detroit
1 May 2004

This show got off to a bad start. As a fan of 'The Man Show' and Adam Carolla on the radio show 'Loveline', I felt obligated to watch this show. I watched from it's debut after the Super Bowl untill about July of it's first season, and then I stoped. ABC had watered down Kimmel's best comedic qualities and the show struggled to get celebrities that mattered. To often did Carolla have to be a guest on the show, only proving that Jimmy is only funny when he and Adam play off each others jokes. But, in order to not turn off women offended by 'The Man Show', Adam could not become Jimmy's Co-host on a permenante basis. So Jimmy relied on weekly doeses of members of the Kimmel-Carolla comedy family (Kathy Griffen, David Allan Grier, Snoop Dogg,etc.) as guest hosts and stumbled through live broadcasts. In October, things began to change. With the probability that Jimmy would be cancelled high, he began to try to be himself instead of Letterman or Leno. Ratings began to improve slightly. I returned to the show on Halloween, and by Thanksgiving began to like the show alot more. In like Januarey ABC began bringing in guests from one movie for one week. This way bigger celebrities came on to promote films and shows. In February the show gave into ABC's request to try the show without co-hosts and tape some episodes. By mid-April co-hosts were gone and within the last 3 weeks of this post, all episodes were being taped. Now you see people promoting big movies on Kimmel aswell as Leno and Letterman and Jimmy has begun to emerge as a possible third big late night show.

great

Author: colinwhitefan
2 July 2003

I really like Jimmy Kimmel I find myself watching it more often than any other late night talk show. Jimmy isn't afraid to say something about anyone and he has some cool, interesting, and big name people on as either co-host or guests. I wouldn't be stunned if Jimmy Kimmel becomes the #1 late night talk show, Letterman, Leno, and the others have had their day.

Watch JKL once and Leno, Letterman, Kilborn, & Conan seem tame and out-dated.

Author: missproducer from Orange, California
23 April 2003

Jimmy Kimmel is brilliant. "Jimmy Kimmel Live" is the freshest, funniest show on TV. Period. Despite a lack of big name celebrities (due to Leno's scare tactics) JKL has managed to flourish; largely due to Kimmel's quick wit and off the wall segments. What other show would feature Mike Tyson singing, a

pillow-fight between Goldberg and Jimmy's cousin Sal, Jay Mohr doing Nyquil shots, Snoop Dogg at the swap-meet and a gangsta spelling bee? And what other host would dare dance in his underwear and a fig leaf with a Japanese pop band on live TV? Only Jimmy Kimmel on JKL that's who.

Thank you Jimmy for resuscitating television.

jimmy kimmel live

Author: jim stephens from United States
29 December 2004

Jimmy Kimmel Live is a different type of late night talk show. Jimmy is a very creative person who has created a lot of shows, and is going for a different audience than the usual. He is going for the person who likes to see talk show guests, but also has a mix of live musical entertainment, the Jimmy Kimmel concert series, as well as ongoing members of the show doing various gags.

I think he is an excellent interviewer of his guests, and will make them look good on his show, as well as going for questions you won't hear others ask. His show edges more to the sort of show you always see at the later hour (which it occupies now), but may be on earlier in the future against the other two big late night shows.

The skits which are a part of the show include Cousin Sid and Uncle Frank are a fun to see, and some guests doing things you'd never expect them to do either.

I hope he has long running success on ABC and does well in the future.

Getting up there

Author: Carrie Beth Anderson from Houston, Texas
15 July 2004

I wouldn't say that Jimmy Kimmel Live has reached the caliber of other late night talk shows such as Late Night with Conan O'Brian, it is an incredibly interesting show. As a Mighty Mighty BossTones fan, I loved the choice to hire Dicky Barrett as the permanent announcer. Some other parts of the show I like are "Unneccessary Censorship", "Dress the Band", "Sit and Be Fit", and Dicky's compliment. I predict that within a year Jimmy Kimmel will be the top late night TV host. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Another great part of J.K.L is the choice of bands and guests. I do miss the co-host for the week idea, but the show has gotten progressively better without it, so whatever works, right.

Entertaining but needs more depth

Author: lovely_crab_2107 from Netherlands
19 October 2015

Jimmy Kimmel is talented and extremely hilarious, as from what I've seen so far from YouTube solely. His monologues never fail to make me laugh, and he has creative ideas added to the show. The way he interviews and the way he talks is pleasantly humorous, although sometimes I must admit that he went a bit too far and became quite mean, as Leno commented. Another thing is that his interviews lack of depth and clear insights, which means that after the show, I do not feel that I have learned something. However, his jokes and his honesty overcompensate such drawbacks, so I still turn to his show frequently. Even though he does not interview big guests like Fallon, watching Kimmel is much more enjoyable actually.

Not the best talk show, but Kimmel is a good host

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
21 August 2005

I didn't watch "The Man Show" when it was on Comedy Central (from 1999 through 2004) because I never had more than basic cable, however I did manage to catch a few reruns later on and thought hosts Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Carolla were both very funny. It was a good idea for a show and it was carried out well.

Before "Man Show" got canceled the two guys branched out into other programs (Carolla now has his own TV talk show called "Too Late with Adam Carolla" - it's a bit lame sometimes in terms of specific jokes but is a refreshingly frank show overall).

Kimmel started hosting various programs and launched his own late-night talk show (apparently in 2003 but I've only started watching and hearing about it recently).

I've seen a few episodes now and I think it's a good talk show. It could use a bit of work. For one, the writing isn't as strong as it could be. Sometimes the stuff is kind of lame - like the recent interview with Pamela Anderson (Kimmel hosted her roast on Comedy Central, then interviewed her on his show afterwards!), in which they had her play a game called something like "Do You Know Pam?", where the contestants answer questions about Pamela Anderson. The lame part is that they had Pamela Anderson participate in it.

So far this show is pretty funny and I enjoy watching it, but they should recruit some stronger writers because it will never be on the same level as Conan or even Leno otherwise.

Best FEUD on Television

Author: nguyenbryan from United States
21 February 2017

We have seen hosts have bad days, and Kimmel is one of them. You know, the feud between Matt Damon (Boston) and Jimmy Kimmel never gets old. Seriously, I highly suggest you look that up. Since the show's beginnings, you may recall Kimmel saying: "Apologies to Matt Damon, We ran out of time." Don't believe me? Here is how the show went...

The infamous feud between Jimmy Kimmel and Matt Damon may technically be fake, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining. In the 12 years since its inception, the bit has evolved from an improvised one-liner to a series of elaborate segments, resulting in one of the most popular late night gags ever.

It all began during the third season of Jimmy Kimmel Live! when the host off-handed ended a discouraging show by apologizing to Damon for bumping him from the episode. After the joke got a laugh from one of his producers, he started doing it every night. "We had a bad show. … The guests were bad, and I was feeling pretty bad about myself at the end of the program," Kimmel told NPR in 2013. "And I decided to say, for the amusement of one of our producers who was standing next to me … 'I want to apologize to Matt Damon. We ran out of time.' … And he got a kick out of it, the producer, so I just started doing it every night to amuse him."

Kimmel went on to explain that there was no particular reason he chose the Bourne actor. "Matt Damon was just the first name that popped into my head. I was trying to think of an A-list star, and somebody we absolutely would not bump if he was on the show. … The legs on this bit are unbelievable to me. I mean, people laugh every time I say it. … Repeating the same joke every single night, you'd think eventually people would get tired of it, but they don't."