IMDb > "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jimmy Kimmel Live!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jimmy Kimmel Live!" More at IMDbPro »

Great !

Author: Michael J. Santos from LA California, United States
25 February 2005

We just went to see Jimmy Kimmel Live last night(2-24-05) and we thought it was great ! Very professional production. Didn't have to wait in line very long, like some other tapings. Security was good also.

As far as the show is concerned - I think it is just as funny as its competitors. The Cousin Sal bits are hilarious. Uncle Frank is a really nice guy too ! If you are in the area, I would suggest getting tickets.

The audience isn't very large. Only about 100 people. The Band is great and the sound system is superb.

I hat this 10 line rule. Again, I think this is a great hour of late night television.

Great Show

Author: joehonaker from United States
17 June 2005

His monologue is funny, he shows funny clips from current TV shows or World Events and he does a pleasant job of interviewing. Early on, he was given week-long co-hosts which I found a fun addition but they dropped the co-host and made him stand up for his monologue and the show does seem better although I miss Co-Hosts like David Cross, Snoop Dogg, Kathie Lee, Mike Tyson and Janeane Garofalo. His best guests have been Clay Aiken, Dane Cook(Hey Kool-Aid!), Wolf Blitzer(with Kimmel's father impersonating Wolf), Quentin Tarentino, Mike Tyson.... The show has the feel of Early Letterman with a slight edge. The Jake Byrd bits are always entertaining with Tony Barbieri playing an insane(but typical) Michael Jackson fanatic. His Cousin Sal hidden camera pranks are funny and the FCC This Week in Unnecessary Censorship is one of the funniest things on TV in the last 30 years. He has a running feud with the cast of The View and it's been very enjoyable watching him rip on Tons-O-Fun Starr Jones. Uncle Frank does an OK job and is sometimes funny on Red Carpet or Street interviews. Uncle Frank is clueless, it's funny for a little while but get's old and annoying. Geuermo's(sp) Hollywood Roundup is a little boring but the show is still one of the best late night shows. I wish he'd bring that hot hot hot girlfriend(Sarah Silverman)of his on the show more, she is one beautiful yenta. If he set out to best Leno, he could have done that with a pig farting on a snare drum because Leno is just weak unfunny and sad. Jimmy Kimmel Live rivals Letterman in the overall quality of show. Hopefully he will stay on long enough for the rest of the United States to smell what Jimmy Kimmel is cooking.

Getting Better.

Author: RedWings91 from Detroit
1 May 2004

This show got off to a bad start. As a fan of 'The Man Show' and Adam Carolla on the radio show 'Loveline', I felt obligated to watch this show. I watched from it's debut after the Super Bowl untill about July of it's first season, and then I stoped. ABC had watered down Kimmel's best comedic qualities and the show struggled to get celebrities that mattered. To often did Carolla have to be a guest on the show, only proving that Jimmy is only funny when he and Adam play off each others jokes. But, in order to not turn off women offended by 'The Man Show', Adam could not become Jimmy's Co-host on a permenante basis. So Jimmy relied on weekly doeses of members of the Kimmel-Carolla comedy family (Kathy Griffen, David Allan Grier, Snoop Dogg,etc.) as guest hosts and stumbled through live broadcasts. In October, things began to change. With the probability that Jimmy would be cancelled high, he began to try to be himself instead of Letterman or Leno. Ratings began to improve slightly. I returned to the show on Halloween, and by Thanksgiving began to like the show alot more. In like Januarey ABC began bringing in guests from one movie for one week. This way bigger celebrities came on to promote films and shows. In February the show gave into ABC's request to try the show without co-hosts and tape some episodes. By mid-April co-hosts were gone and within the last 3 weeks of this post, all episodes were being taped. Now you see people promoting big movies on Kimmel aswell as Leno and Letterman and Jimmy has begun to emerge as a possible third big late night show.

Watch JKL once and Leno, Letterman, Kilborn, & Conan seem tame and out-dated.

Author: missproducer from Orange, California
23 April 2003

Jimmy Kimmel is brilliant. "Jimmy Kimmel Live" is the freshest, funniest show on TV. Period. Despite a lack of big name celebrities (due to Leno's scare tactics) JKL has managed to flourish; largely due to Kimmel's quick wit and off the wall segments. What other show would feature Mike Tyson singing, a

pillow-fight between Goldberg and Jimmy's cousin Sal, Jay Mohr doing Nyquil shots, Snoop Dogg at the swap-meet and a gangsta spelling bee? And what other host would dare dance in his underwear and a fig leaf with a Japanese pop band on live TV? Only Jimmy Kimmel on JKL that's who.

Thank you Jimmy for resuscitating television.

jimmy kimmel live

Author: jim stephens from United States
29 December 2004

Jimmy Kimmel Live is a different type of late night talk show. Jimmy is a very creative person who has created a lot of shows, and is going for a different audience than the usual. He is going for the person who likes to see talk show guests, but also has a mix of live musical entertainment, the Jimmy Kimmel concert series, as well as ongoing members of the show doing various gags.

I think he is an excellent interviewer of his guests, and will make them look good on his show, as well as going for questions you won't hear others ask. His show edges more to the sort of show you always see at the later hour (which it occupies now), but may be on earlier in the future against the other two big late night shows.

The skits which are a part of the show include Cousin Sid and Uncle Frank are a fun to see, and some guests doing things you'd never expect them to do either.

I hope he has long running success on ABC and does well in the future.

great

Author: colinwhitefan
2 July 2003

I really like Jimmy Kimmel I find myself watching it more often than any other late night talk show. Jimmy isn't afraid to say something about anyone and he has some cool, interesting, and big name people on as either co-host or guests. I wouldn't be stunned if Jimmy Kimmel becomes the #1 late night talk show, Letterman, Leno, and the others have had their day.

Kimmel Is Funny but Not Letterman or Leno!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
9 September 2013

ABC which failed in the early 1990s to find a show in the form of Late Night or the Late Show, finally has score big time with Kimmel. Jimmy Kimmel, a former straight man to "Win Ben Stein's Money" and half of the "Man Show" on Comedy Central.

Sure he can go a bit overboard in taste at times. And "apologies for Matt Damon for running out of time." As a joke before the show leaves the air.

But still, he comes off a decent interviewer and really pretty funny. Not Letterman, Leno, or even Carson for that matter. But still, he is funny and glad that ABC finally has a show. That can match in a younger very pivotal 18-49 audience.

Former Tonight Show Watcher On Board With Real Jimmy

Author: Tim Allen from United States
6 March 2014

Having watched several years of Carson and Leno, I was really unprepared for Jimmy Fallon. I had known him a little from Saturday Night Live and had seen a few minutes of his late show, but really not enough to make a formed opinion.

I barely made it through his first Tonight Show. Fallon is much like a child screaming "look at me" as he goes down a slide... it's not very entertaining, it can be annoying and it takes no talent.

I had watched a few episodes of Jimmy Kimmel's show prior to Leno leaving and he seemed okay. Not being a fan of Letterman, I decided to give Kimmel a try before permanently switching to reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond.

I've been watching Kimmel for several weeks now and unlike Fallon, he is very funny, his jokes are crafted and most importantly he feels honest. Perhaps one of my biggest complaints about Fallon is that he is extremely fake and put-together. He recently even did a polar plunge in his "signature" suit. How ridiculously fake is that?

I compare that to Kimmel who wore a loomed suit made of rubber bands for an entire show for a good cause. He even choked up a bit talking to the child on-stage. It was honest emotion and gave him humanity that Fallon just does not have.

For those who've never seen his Thursday "Censored" bit, it really can be quite funny. If you enjoyed Leno's "Headlines" you might like this also.

Potential- but needs to be FUNNY

Author: autumnrhythm from New Jersey, US
18 September 2003

I liked many of the pieces put together on the Man Show. I never liked Jimmy on "Win Ben Stein's Money" but I always loved Adam Carolla on the Howard Stern Show, so I checked it out. Since Jimmy is a devotee of David Letterman and Howard, I thought this show would be cool.

To my surprise, Jimmy is above average with guests (already better than Leno and better than Conan when he first started). And Jimmy is more of a common man than Conan or Dave- and quite more blunt and irreverent. However, Jimmy's main potential was to make late night comedy far bluer and politically incorrect than it is. He has failed to do that.

After coming out with an interview in Playboy saying his show would be "the comedy version of the Tonight Show!" Jimmy has instead hired hack writers (many first time proper "comedy" writers) to come up with sub-Leno/Conan bits. In other words, no punch lines, a lot of doctored pictures and video and random clips from TV shows that prompt Jimmy to make fun of them.

His first act (a.k.a. monologue) is, to be perfectly frank, unfunny. The jokes just aren't there. I don't know what the excuse could be for that. Howard Stern, at this late stage, is STILL funnier just going off the cuff. Jimmy and his numerable writers have all day to come up with jokes that make Jay Leno sound like Chris Rock, for God's sake.

The other major problem is the guest co-hosts: nice stunt, but the fun is wearing off. When you have a five-year-old rapper for a co-host or that old stand-by Mr. T, it's time to find a regular who can contribute to the comedy. After five days, it's just not funny. And if people don't like this host, you're wasting an entire segment of the show on them. Only a few guest co-hosts have been great, but it's not necessary to have them for five straight shows.

I honestly hope they revamp the show on their first anniversary and get a regular co-host (Adam Carolla would be first choice, but clearly Jimmy/ABC wanted to go without him) as they have with the announcer.

Clever and a little Odd

Author: chillymost from California
4 March 2003

I think this show is funny and very clever. I think that maybe some people don't get Jimmy's humor. It's offbeat and he doesn't go for the obvious like Leno and Letterman. I like that he puts himself out there, even if his taste is a little on the odd side. I think it is worth staying up late for. Give it a couple weeks and I think you will become a fan too.