IMDb > "Haunted" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Haunted"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Haunted" More at IMDbPro »

Haunted was Under-rated

Author: mar768 from United States
29 September 2005

Haunted was one of the most intense television series ever produced. The script was well written and the cinematography complemented the dark, mysterious story lines. Matthew Fox brought intensity and multi-dimensionality to his character. Although already established from the series, Party of Five, this role convinced me that Matthew Fox was (and still is) one of the best young actors on the scene today. He is also proving his talent on the hit show Lost. Its too bad haunted didn't last longer - the sad thing is that there is a new show called the Ghost Whisperer with Jennifer Love Hewitt that is a watered down, rip-off of Haunted. Haunted was the real deal and was much better done.

You thought the Sixth Sense was freaky?

Author: thebarnacle from Southwest, United States
25 September 2002

I'm impressed with the richness of the show "Haunted". It's creepy, tenebrous, and dramatic. The season premiere was good enough to hold my attention all the way through, and that is something not easily done with dark drama. The subject matter is so dark in fact, that I don't see this show drawing a sizeable crowd. Just what sort of demographic are they going for here? Personally, I'm not sure if I can take this every week.

Dark and cool

Author: Heath McKnight from Wellington, Florida
17 February 2004

I only saw a couple of episodes and was VERY disappointed to see it cancelled. Man, that sucked! I hope it comes out on DVD soon; this was probably the only show I wanted to try and see if I could work on an episode, it was THAT cool!

Why was it cancelled?

Author: swarner1 from Houston, TX
12 March 2004

I know it's been about a year and a half, and I should probably let it go, but I really want to know if anyone has any idea what happened to this show? I was very into it and feel like I was left hanging. I want to know what happened to the characters, especially Frank and his wife. It was so well written, and the actors did such a great job of pulling you in and making you care. If anyone knows why this show was taken off the air, I'd love to know. I even emailed the station right after it was taken off and asked, but never got a response.

Oh well. Thanks!

A very disappointed fan

Sixth Sense meets The X Files....

Author: Tracie (jesouhaite78@hotmail.com) from New Jersey
2 November 2002

When I first saw the promos for this show, they really made me want to watch it, but what I tend to find is that most of these shows don't live up to the hype at all. This IS NOT the case for Haunted. The writing is impeccable, the acting incredible and the music (composed by Mark Snow) is eerily haunting and fitting for each scene. It keep you on the edge of your seat and wondering what's going to happen next. I think that this is one of the best new shows of 2002 and if you are (or were)into shows like The X Files, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, CSI, Strange World, VR5, Twilight Zone or Prey, this show is for you. Even if you aren't though, you should give it a try.

what happened?

Author: mrandall from Virginia, USA
4 December 2002

I was very pleased with this show. It was scary and character driven. The stories were interesting.The ghosts -- scary. The story lines were really getting interesting, with his ex wife starting to date another man, the reoccuring sicko ghost, and his relationship with his former partner from the police force, all of this was really coming together. But it seems to have vanished from the upn line up. What happened?

Truly A Gem

Author: rosemcgowanrulez2001 from Toronto, Ontario
9 October 2002

I am a fan of horror, thriller and suspense. SO when I seen the previews of Haunted I was definitely gonna tune in. So far 3 episodes and the show seems to get better each time. Not a let down so far. Some creepy scenes that are better than say Angel and Charmed, although those 2 shows rock. Seeing Matthew Fox playing a total opposite role from his POF role and succeeding is great to see. The dark drama in this goes along with Angel and yet doesn't follow in its footsteps. With the ghosts that apear to the visions he sees to help solve crimes makes this show intriguing and far from boring. UPN has a sleeper hit on their hands, but let's hope it doesn't fall to the way side of the other cancellations each season because of poor timeslots. I think networks have to realize that people will tape one show while watching another, seems they forgot about the invention of the VCR and timer recording. Also satellite is another thing. Miss it in the east time, watch it in the west time.

Kick butt show that's both scary and intriguing

Author: lucadude (lucadude@hotmail.com)
2 October 2002

I've seen the first two episodes of the show so far and I am majorly hooked. Whoever wrote that pilot should be commended because I am hooked. Ever since the Sixth Sense, everyone just assume that these ghosts should just "jump out and tell what's wrong." I think the way the show works it is so much better since you are dealing with spirits entering this weird dimension where they are stuck between worlds. Personally I had always thought the shaggy haired, 7 o'clock shadow Matthew Fox from Party of Five was a major toolbag until I saw this show. He's proven me wrong and stepped up to deliver a great performance in very well developed role.

Personally, I hope that people start tuning in and supporting this show (like you Buffy and X-File fans out there) and avoid another sad incident of shows killed way before their time (like Brisco County jr and Lone Gunmen).

Haunted - the show that became a ghost

Author: NormanCroucher from United Kingdom
15 July 2009

Haunted was killed before it had the chance to really breathe. Now it wanders the dark hallways of cancelled TV show obscurity hell.

Most people have barely heard of it. In a way it's kind of cool because for those small few of us that do discover it will get to indulge in something so lost and forgotten it seems like you're the only one to have ever watched it. It just misses attaining the status of a "cult" TV show. Personally, I quite like that fact. It's a cult-cult kind of deal. A bit like for those people who remember Michael Mann's Robbery Homicide Division's short lived run. Shows that have great potential and a strong handful of episodes to advertise that fact but lack the buzz and word of mouth to continue their evolutions into bigger, more popular dramas.

In this day and age where detective series are still often successful with audiences, it seems a shame that no one gave Haunted its due diligence. It is evident from the existing episodes that it would have developed into an effective spook-tacular series that could have run for at least three seasons.

Atmospheric visuals and good story lines combined to create a genre based mystery of the week potboiler with a great central lead performance by Lost's Matthew Fox. His emotional investment and range as an actor keeps the whole thing together, especially in the poorer episodes.

If you are lucky enough to find this show available anywhere then there seems to be much difficulty in figuring out the real episode order that they were intended to flow in. I would suggest watching it like this -

1. Pilot (which I call "Simon Says.) 2. Fidelity 3. Grievous Angels 4. Blind Witness 5. Last Call 6. Nocturne 7. Seeking Asylum 8. Three Hour Tour 9. Simon Redux 10. Nexus

I have discounted one - the episode entitled "Abby" because it is so bad I would recommend ignoring it all together. It may put you off the rest of the episodes.

Also worth noting is that the episode that I have placed last called Nexus is really a "flashback episode" set a couple of weeks after the events of the Pilot episode. The reason for it going last is because it is the only episode out of all of them that gives any sense of closure to the story. Ironic considering the events it depicts are all set BEFORE the other episodes, but the final scene in it seems like a good place to leave the character of Frank and the over all story arc of the show. It says to us that he will control and eventually conquer his "demons," and that's about as conclusive as you're gonna get.

Haunted had potential to be as good as a similar show like Millennium and certainly would have marked an interesting journey for Fox's tortured soul Frank for us to follow.

If you can find it, watch it and wonder what could have been. If you stick to the order I suggested, it will provide the most satisfying conclusion possible for a cancelled show.

It's worth tracking down. Consider it's current status as "MISSING - PRESUMED DEAD." Let's hope it'll get a resurrection one day on DVD.

spooky is not just Mulder's nickname

Author: Cocobiz from California
14 October 2002

Not since X-files have I seen a show this creepy. This is one of the most frightening tv shows around. The writing is tight and Mathew Fox is captivating (and very cute). Although it is still tv - which means that it is not as dark as I'd like. Usual tv scares seem very Fox Family Channel, but not Haunted. They go to the heart of the bump in the night fright. And I always end up biting my nails. I can't wait to see if they are going to tie it all together like Buffy, Angel or The X-Files. I really want to know if the world of the ghost is colliding with our world.