IMDb > "Hack" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hack"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hack" More at IMDbPro »

Probably the best new Drama Series for 2002-2003

Author: wolf008 from NY
15 November 2002

David Morse is back on primetime as a former Philly cop, now working as a cab driver. Hack is a combination of Walker Texas Ranger (without the karate), and Early Edition.

Morse's, Mike Olshansky is a solid, and benevolent character who still carry's on his former duty's as a police officer, and helps people in need, even the ones that may not be so deserving of it.

He is not alone in his tasks, as he can count on his x-partner, Marseilles Washington, played by Andre Braugher from Homicide. The relationship between Olshansky and Washington can be a bit bellicose at times, but genially the two like one and other, and share a common respect.

Hack is also aided by the spiritual guidance and wisdom of long time friend, Father Tom "Grizz" Grzelack (George Dzundza).Father Tom plays an important part in Mikes life and is definitely a great character for the series.

All in all Hack is probably the best new Drama Series for 2002-2003 season. Sorry CSI Miami.

Best show on TV.

Author: moovyfellow from Kansas City
8 September 2005

The show is now over and gone, but while it was on it was my favorite of all TV shows. I liked David Morse from his movie 'The Crossing Guard'. He plays a somewhat similar role here, in that of a person who has made a regrettable mistake in life and now is somewhat lost and trying Day By Day to find a role in the world and a way forward, a role many of us should be able to relate to. All the shows were wonderful stories of human interest and 'compassion' (Dict: Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it). I never understood why the show didn't receive better reviews, personally, I would much rather see a program, like this, about people interacting with others, struggling with their problems and trying to help one another, rather than continuous murder and action. I think the writers did an excellent job.

Hack was a wonderful show.

Author: nobtis5-1 from United States
1 December 2005

"Hack" was a wonderful show that meant a lot to us fans. The heroes were not perfect and many times they not only sinned, but flat-out broke the law. It inspired many people, especially the people of Philadelphia whom we've become used to seeing the actors and crew on our streets. Why hasn't Paramount Home Video yet produced the DVD set of the series? It is only 40 episodes and us fans would love to have it to cherish forever. Paramount has produced so many horrible shows that went right to DVD, I cannot understand why "Hack" still is not available for sale on DVD. We write letters and emails and no one from Paramount even has the courtesy to respond. Yes, there are still die-hard, loyal fans of "Hack" and we are strong!

Action, comedy, suspense=great show

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
4 October 2002

POSSIBLE STORYLINE SPOILERS BELOW

Hack is my favorite show of the new season. I would go further than that and say- it is now one of my favorite shows period. Mike Olshanksy is a former cop turned cabbie turned semi vigilante for justice. He was fired after he and his partner took 8 grand from 40 grand they recovered (atleast, I think he said it was $40k.) It was no big deal...they deserved it for doing their job, for taking a bullet, for being good cops and good men. Some missing money was no big deal. In reality, I agree...these guys aren't saints, but they're not exactly sinners of the highest level either. Olshansky gets caught with the money, his partner doesn't. So, now he is a cab driver, trying to drive his cab to make money. He has lost his job, is facing a felony charge, and was kicked out of his house, where he has a wife (maybe ex?) and a son it seems (they're not really totally clear on that.)

Olshansky, not even planning on it, finds himself in the middle of some heavy stuff in the first episode, and even heavier stuff in the second episode. He has become sort of a vigilante, even tho he seems to be somewhat reluctant. He does miss being a cop tho, so maybe he's not as reluctant as he acts. With the help of his former partner, he is fighting crime without being a cop...using tactics that a cop couldn't use. He doesn't need a search warrant, he mentions at one point...just don't arrest him for B and E.

Mike proves he is a decent man. He has a close relationship with a local priest, who isn't perfect himself. Deep down, he's got a heart, he's a very likeable character. You care about him, and you care about what happens to him. That works for this show...and it works big. You want more than anything for Mike to get his job back, tho we know he never will..so we root for him when he's fighting bad guys on the street as a part time cabbie part time hero. Mike's partner, who I believer starred in another cop show in the 90's is really good too. We care about him as well.

The show takes place in Philly, and we get a lot of gorgeous shots of the city. I have never been there, but after watching the show, I feel as tho I have. We get to see the good parts of the city and the bad...even tho I have no idea if we're really seeing Philly or some area in California that doubles as Philly. Who knows. The series has a really good look to it. Very professional, very big budget looking. The direction is tight, we feel as tho we're in the cab with Mike, fighting crime with Mike...it's right on the money.

The show is full of action, but it is also full of cool detective stuff, it's full of laughs (every now and then), and it is full of drama...you can't help but care about what happens to all the characters- even the crooked ones who sell taxi cabs that aren't theirs to sell. Hack is a great show, and I hope that it stays on the air for a long time. I'd hate to miss out on Olshansky's life.

Highly Recommended

Author: thebigeasy540_ from Ireland
27 June 2005

A show about a disgraced cop turned cab driver.My first reaction when I saw it?I was impressed with it's originality and refreshingly good scripts.This reaction was sustained throughout it's entire lifespan.David Morse plays a cop with warmth,humanity and depth-some one you could easily relate to and actually care about.His heart is in the right place as he helps people overcome problems they encounter,this is accomplished with the assistance of an ex colleague.a priest and a damn good conscience.We learn he's had a messy marital split,he's trying to rebuild his life after being kicked off the force.He saved his friends job in the process of doing this.Thus endearing himself as a loyal friend even in the most testing of times.Filmed entirely in Philidelphia.the locations are perfect for this show.With the aid of wonderful co stars you are receiving a well engineered,excellently scripted and superbly acted show about a man who has had to face some difficult situations in his life.No episode was ever monotonous.Unfortunately it was treated accordingly by the networks.Enjoy it on ITV3.

Hack Season 1

Author: valens-69 from New York
3 May 2003

Michael Olshansky(David Morse) is an ex cop he was busted for stealing money, while there were others involved he took the blame himself, his marriage to Heather(Donna Murphy) is over and he is a taxi driver.

Mike often gets involved with his passengers even though he is not a cop anymore he still tries to help people.

Mike often gets his former partner Marcellus Washington(Andre Braugher) to help him on missions.

Marcellus also took money but since Mike won't rat Marcellus is a free man and still a cop.

As the season goes on Mike must prepare for his trial, while trying to get his life in order.

Rest of the cast includes George Dzundza and Matthew Borish.

Bebe Neuwirth does a few guest spots.

Hack was created by David Koepp who wrote Spider-Man.

The previews for Hack looked really bad and the critics slammed the show, so i decided to watch the pilot too see if it was as bad as the critics said and how the previews looked.

And while nothing groundbreaking it wasn't so bad.

For the most part Hack was good it had a few boring episodes.

But i continued to tune in and did enjoy it.

David Morse is outstanding in the lead role.

I give Hack Season 1 6/10

I hope this show will be on for couple of seasons or more.

Author: cmyklefty from Philadelphia
12 December 2002

David Morse plays a ex-cop who is a cab driver in Philadelphia. Tries to redeem himself from his wrong doing cause by his ex-job to help people in trouble. This is filmed all on location in the City of Brotherly Love. Hack is a good television show and puts the city in an excellent light.

Highly entertaining!

Author: Johnny_Hing from United States
13 December 2011

I've been watching this on Netflix streaming as of late. I don't even remember this show while it was on TV, and can't believe it only lasted 2 or 3 seasons. I found the premise to be intriguing and original. The characters are strong and likable. The chemistry between Morse and his son, Morse and his former partner, (Andre Braugher), and even Morse with his estranged wife, make for good sub-plot lines. Oh... and Morse and the Priest (Dzundza.) The main thrust of the show is his vigilante persona, which he pulls off well, with his passengers who are in need. There are some interesting twists at times, as occasionally the passengers in need turn out to be villains, and not the victims. He's human, has flaws... and wrestles with his inner demons, but at least he acknowledges his shortcomings and struggles to make things right. Great shots of Philly, by the way. The viewer can almost taste the flavor of this great city.

Hack's location

Author: deanl from Philadelphia, PA
21 December 2002

This show is actually filmed entirely in the city of Philadelphia. When I travel through Philadelphia the Hack crew are always somewhere shooting scenes. They even had a Christmas party, for the cast and crew, at a local German Pub, Ludwigs.

Hack's The Man

Author: tamra0612 from United States
9 August 2012

I rarely watch prime-time TV anymore. I first caught Hack on a Saturday night back in 2003. I had no idea it was even on. I missed out on the first season. I was hooked instantly. I was only able to view about 7 episodes before CBS took it off the air. The show featured extremely creative writers, very talented actors and very interesting stories. Not a lot of gratuitous sex and violence but rather the show exposed so much corruption in the medical field as well as with law enforcement. I often wonder if that's why it went off the air...too raw and honest? I loved David Morse's character. He's tough, smart and wants to see justice done. He really was out to protect victims. I am a life long David Morse fan now and am almost through the second season of streaming episodes. I wonder what happened to the show that it stopped airing. Needless to say, I still don't watch TV. I'd rather watch intelligent, honest shows like "Hack" by streaming the shows. Best of luck to David Morse and the rest of the cast and crew of what I believe was one of the best crime/drama shows ever to be produced.