IMDb > "American Dreams" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"American Dreams"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"American Dreams" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

There's a great reason to watch this show.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
28 October 2002

I have to disagree strongly with one parsimonious reviewer who stated there was no reason to watch this show. There are at least two good reasons...

First, if you were a teenager in the early 1960s, like I was, and looked forward to watching American Bandstand, this weekly TV series is a marvelous, nostalgic reminder of those times. Whether your memories were good or bad, this is the closest we will ever get to "being there" one more time. The film clips from the original Bandstand show add to the realism.

Second, if you are too young to remember the 1960s, and are curious, the styles of dress, the dialog, the boy-girl infatuations, the racial tension, the religious conflicts over birth control, the "transistor radios" that everyone carried around, the round-screen black and white TVs, all those are very authentic in this TV series.

"American Dreams" - overall a very fine show, one we've dreamed about for years!

The American Dream lives on again.

Author: JAG_MASH_NUT from Middle of Nowhere
5 December 2004

I am a 14 year old living in a world where the American Dream is all about the times. The latest fashion, the newest music. My parents were in their early teens during the 60's, living in a world with Vietnam, and the industries. My mom was the oldest of 5 daughters living on the farm. My dad, the youngest of 2 boys living in a military family in the city. But there is one thing that they both could relate to. The American Dream.

American Dreams brings back that dream with such amazing reality. My parents remember American Bandstand and the artists that performed there. They remember the events happening in the world, and remember what it was like to live during that time. It's like a part of my parent's history, is being brought into my home for me to share with them. I get to understand what their lives were like, and get to know them a little bit better. This show is extremely well written and I will watch this show until it is taken off the air. I watch it with my father, as our Sunday night tradition, milkshake in hand. Sharing memories with my father on these Sunday nights, will become a memory that I will share with my children in the future. A show for the generations to share, American Dreams is helping my parents re-live memories, and helping me form my own.

What a lovely show

Author: tammyaphillips from United States
3 November 2004

I am a fan of character development, great acting and history. This lovely show has all three. My favorite character is Jack because he represents the people who think they have life figured out. But, life keeps changing; he is classy enough to change with it. And Meg is so much like him and he does not realize it.

The American Bandstand angle is a pleasant way to remind us of a simplier time in the music world. The show faces hard issues like racism, police brutality, Viet Nam, polio, politics, homosexuality, the riot, life changes and pregnancy outside of marriage realistically. These issues are a part of life and I appreciate the "non over-the-top" way they have been handled.

You can even watch this with your family and not cringe because of cursing and explicit sexual encounters. This is a fine way to spend one hour on Sunday evenings.

A Dream Come True

Author: ForReal84 from PA
7 March 2004

American Dreams is one of the best television shows that is on, it has some great writing and an awesome cast. The show follows one family through the times that changed our nation. Set in Philadelphia, the Pryor family is living the dream that many Americans wanted a perfect family or at least an image of one. The actors have all grown into their characters. This show does not use sex and violence to attract it's audience, it is a great show, a must see! It also has a great soundtrack and some cool guest appearances by some of today's up and comers. It also using some older footage from the real American Bandstand, the way they do that is amazing.I give this show 3.8 stars and an A!

Brings back some fond memories

Author: Denny Keyes ( from Willow Grove, PA
20 December 2002

The show takes me back to my own senior year, 1963. It is very accurate even to the clothing styles and amazingly, the name of a long since closed amusement park called "Willow Grove Park" was mentioned once. I won't dwell on this, but I was one of the kids back in 1962 on American Bandstand myself. I have a highly treasured snapshot I took one day on the set of Dick Clark interviewing Sandra Dee. The show isn't all carefree of course, but then life has never been without problems. Despite this, it depicts an era of a certain innocence we no longer enjoy.

The Best Show Ever!

Author: buskuni-toronto from Toronto, Canada
18 November 2004

"American Dreams" is my absolute most favourite show of all time. I look forward to Sundays at 8 and if the phone rings, whoever is calling goes into voice mail. I was a child in the 60s having been born in 1959 but it's not just the music or clothes that have made this show my favourite.

I love the way the Pryor kids bicker. It's so realistic! My fave scenes are at the dinner table. Dad rules and everyone has to obey.

I'm worried about JJ but the previews for this Sunday say he comes home. I hope it's to stay.

Meg is heading toward being a hippie and I can't wait to see how her character develops down the road, especially when she starts college.

I hope NBC has no plans to cancel this for a very long time!

Good stuff

Author: Jim Buttram from Culpeper, VA
30 October 2004

TV shows with historical premises have been successful in the past, but too often they descent into cornball territory. "The Waltons" had a reputation for schmaltz even when it aired, and "Little Houseon the Prairie" wasn't much better ... in fact, the last few seasons were ridiculous at best.

"America Dreams" takes a piece of the recent past, the childhood andteen years of the Baby Boomer generation, the time just before X-ers like myself were born. For the Boomers, it's nostalgia, a look at a time of tumultuous change; for the X-ers, well, for me anyway, it's a glimpse of a legendary time that we remember from our parents' anecdotes and the last few chapters of our highschool history textbooks.

The characters are well-drawn and while they have a stereotypical basis, they aren't restricted to the roles you'd expect; Meg, my favorite character, is pretty and popular, but very socially aware and actively trying to make a difference in the world around her. Reminds me, in an odd way, of Emma from Degrassi TNG in that respect.

The adults on the show are complex and interesting as well, and I got drawn into the story arc after watching just an episode or two this season. I'd really love to go back and catch the previous season at some point.

Anyway ... watchable, interesting, intelligently written, good production values. If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth a look.

This show is the best

Author: veleztorre from Bronx, New York
29 November 2004

I found that out of all of the shows on television right on, American Dreams is one of the best. It is a very good idea that young kids now a days watch and see what was happening during a time when the country was "out of control". I really enjoy the show. I love everything about it. The music, the plot and must of all the characters. Yo feel as though the character can be someone you know. The problems and the feels that they show are what teenagers and their families actually went through. Every week i sit in front of the t.v. and no one is allowed to speak to me. The music brings such peace.

The show is the best!!!!!

The Most Refreshing Show on Television

Author: toxic2good (
22 November 2004

This show has been degraded by many critics for just being a "cliff-note" It's a television show, it depicts the best or the worst of era. These writers chose to show both spectrums, very unique. The plot of the show takes place in the 1960's obviously, but those who watch it can truly understand it, since the era of the show, if quite like the present...with the war and all. America divided and America together. The show makes the viewer feel a slew of emotions, something hard to do, and executed very well. The reason why i consider this show to be refreshing, is simple...i despise reality shows (except The Apprentice season one only.) So in essence, we should all thank Dick Clark for THE best show on air, and quite frankly i hope this show lasts as long as Friends. And to the cast...they are all incredible at what they do. And i might as well ad that Brittnay Snow is very cute. And i will also say this...i am and will try very hard to get on that show;legally of course. SO, hopefully i get on and all of you viewers can write about me.

On of the best Drama's on T.V.

Author: ShYning_StAr from Bloomington, California
3 January 2004

I thoroughly enjoy this show. Britney Snow is phenomenal as 16 year old Meg Pryor. I love how everything she is going through in the 60's I myself have or am going through right now. Vanessa Lengies as sassy Roxanne is Amazing. Will Estes...Gorgeous, as the Older brother J.J. Tom Verica is the best father figure on television. Patty and Will are great too. And I love how Helen (Gail O.Grady) is finally doing things without consulting her husband first. Showing that women can make up there own minds in the 60's. The story lines are great. But the best thing about it is how they bring the music from the 60's to life by having artists of today portray the artists of yesterday. Every week you can tune in and see someone new, artists such as: Usher, Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, Leanne Rymes, Brad Paisly, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Monica, Macy Grey, Alisha Keyes, Nick Carter, Kelly Rolland, and many many more. Its great. I hope this show stays on the air for a long long time. Great for family's to watch together!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]