IMDb > Following the Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Following the Rabbit-Proof Fence (TV) More at IMDbPro »

More a casting story than a documentary - but still interesting to see these three talented girls being picked from 100's to do a great job

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
9 November 2002

This documentary follows Phillip Noyce as he tries to find three aboriginal girls able to act in his film Rabbit Proof Fence. The film sees a cast of 100's whittled down to the eventual three girls and follows them through workshops and into the difficult shoot.

When I saw this film I assumed that it would be more background into the true story that the film is based on, or at least a historical focus on the Lost Generations of the story. I was a little let down to see it was mostly about the casting. However once I got over my expectations I really enjoyed this film. For the first half it is a little like Popstars in format - girls auditioning for the parts etc, but it rises above this.

Once we start to see the girls actually picked it becomes much more impressive. We get to see the girls grow in ability and talent as the casting process goes on. I have already seen the film and was blown away by the ability of Sampi as well as the other two. So to see how she grew into the role was fascinating - I think if I'd seen the film after this I wouldn't have been as impressed by the documentary, but the fact I knew how good she was just made it amazing.

The actual filming is interesting, but the finale is amazing - a look at the filming of the actual abduction scene. God, it was powerful in the film, but to see the cast and crew in tears after shooting it just made it even more moving to me, people behind the camera looked terrified while shooting it.

There is a certain gimmick to this, and a cynic could see it as a `Popstars' attempt to get publicity for the film, but there is enough to get out of this to avoid that label for me. Overall, I'd watch the film first before I'd watch this, but this is a fascinating look at how girls were picked from nobodies to give amazing performances. It may be light at points but it is enlightening enough to be well worth adding to the film.

Interesting

Author: sweetprincess from australia
1 January 2004

"Following the Rabbit Proof fence" really interested me. The girls all had such natural talent and to see it behind the set, it came from another point of view. I couldn't believe how alike Everlyn was to Molly, no wonder she fit perfectly. It's a bit disapointing that they didn't have much on the stolen generation, or the real girls' lives but it was all the same very well done. It was very moving and heartbreaking how after the scene they were still crying. It just shows how much the past is still painful but how strong these people are.

Totally engrossing companion to the film

Author: emuir-1 from United States
15 April 2004

I rarely watch "The making of ..." films which are tacked on to the DVD's but after watching "Rabbit Proof Fence" I turned to the documentary out of curiosity. We rarely get a chance to see how the native Australian people live today. I was fascinated seeing today's Aboriginal children dressed in their swanky togs, as children in an affluent western society. Having lived in Australia's outback in the 1960's, I realized that the native Australians have come a long way.

The most disturbing thing for me was to realize that the government policy of removing the children from their native backgrounds to teach them to survive in a white society, abhorrent as it is to us today, was ultimately successful. The government policy sprang from a genuine concern for the future welfare of the half-white children who were mostly abandoned by their fathers. Aboriginal culture was not considered worth preserving as it was not considered to be "culture". What better than to take these children, educate them, teach them western ways and a means to earn a living in good Christian homes.

As recently as 40 years ago, Aboriginals were noncitizens who were denied the vote, and by law, were only paid a fraction of the "white" rate for work. There was a male rate, a female rate which was 5/8ths of what a man was paid, and an Aboriginal rate, which was far lower. Aboriginals were not considered in any equal, and many white Australians felt that it would be better when the race had died out. At that time, anyone who tried to enlighten the native people to their 3rd class status and demand better conditions was considered to be a trouble making agitator putting ideas into their heads. A "good Aborigine" was a docile servant who knew his/her place and kept quiet.

Seeing the confident children being tested for the roles in the film, and the difficulty of finding Aboriginal children who still connected with the old ways underlined the reality that the native Australians are now firmly into the modern western world.

The rabbit proof fence

Author: shannanwalsh
15 January 2011

The rabbit proof fence

A movie for any individual, you really feel close to the characters, if they take a wrong path you want to turn them around and point them in the right direction. If you enjoy a good classic you are sure to love this film, it is a real thrill for the whole family. A must see film. Once you have watched it you will want to watch it again.

The cinematography is perfect for the scenes no complaints.

100% Guarantee you will love this movie, you may shred a tear of sorrow and a tear of joy, but either way a great movie made by the producers

Enjoy.

Excellent Movie

Author: cali_dreaming_free from United States
27 June 2006

I had never heard of this movie until today when I saw it in my Cultural Anthropology class.I was horrified by the treatment of the Aboriginals, but I loved the spirit of the people in it.I hope we can all learn from this sad time in history and never have it repeat itself again.I would highly recommend this film to anyone who likes a thought-provoking film as opposed to the usual Hollywood junk.I would hope though, that we as a people collectively have learned our lesson, but I don't know if we have evolved that much yet...That being said, the photography was superb, the scenery was pretty(albeit in a desolate) way.While I was watching this film, I couldn't help but think of all the racial/ethnic groups that have been penalized over time, such as the Jews during the Holocaust,the interment of Japanese-Americans during WW2, the Rawandan genocide in the mid 1990's...I thought that Molly's spirit was inspiring to say the least, when she finally broke down and cried, I wanted to cry right along with her. In closing, I was moved by this film and I don't say that too often.So if you only have a little bit of time, I say go and rent it because it is well worth your time.Very thought-provoking.