IMDb > The Boy from Dead Man's Bayou (1971) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Boy from Dead Man's Bayou (TV) More at IMDbPro »

The first ever made for TV feature under the Disney name

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
22 August 2003

During the 1970's,the TV series "The Wonderful World Of Disney",which was on the NBC-TV network at the time,wanted to experiment with feature films that can be used into made for TV movies. And the studio did just that. In the fall of 1971,Disney produced its first ever made for TV movie to be shown and it was a big hit with audiences. The movie was called "Boy From Dead Man's Bayou" and it starred two of the biggest stars from that era,and the biggest sensations of their day: First off,you have actor and teen heartthrob Mitch Vogel,at the time was starring on NBC's biggest series at the time,"Bonanza",as the adopted son of Ben Cartwright,Jaime,and also grace the cover of every teenage magazine published during the early 1970's. Also,you have actor Mike Lookinland,who was on one of the biggest shows of the decade as Bobby Brady on the TV series The Brady Bunch,and also grace every cover of the teen magazine set too during his status as a teen heartthrob and child actor.

The story of "Boy From Dead Man's Bayou" is set in the deep and dangerous woods of Louisiana,where two boys must retrieve a missing church bell from the bottom of deep lagoon located in the swamp where it is secretly guarded by a man-eating alligator. The movie is very intense with some great moments and breathtaking excitement as the boys faced constant danger in the murking and unexpected swamp as they must retrieve the church bell from the depths of the lagoon before they are confronted by the raging beast that lies beneath the waters of the lagoon....the alligator,only to be rescue by a man who lives in the swamp who guides them through the dangerous path(played by actor Percy Rodriguez).

I had a chance to see this feature recently,and for one it comes real late at night during the Disney Channel's Walt Disney Presents,and it is very good with stunning photography and great location shots that makes this a great made for TV movie that was great with the whole family. Worth seeing if it comes on.

Lost Childhood Favorite

Author: jennifermize455 from United States
31 May 2005

I have been trying to remember the title of this movie my whole life. My sisters and I used to watch this on t.v. almost every Sunday. It scared the crap out of us! It's been years since I've seen it- I'd like it to be released on DVD. I'm working on collecting all the movies from my childhood.

Everybody has a different opinion on old Disney movies. I prefer them to the newer ones, myself. Some will probably say this movie is corny- but it's a good old movie.

Correction:

Author: movieboy-13 from U.S.A.
1 August 2005

Raysond's previous comments about this movie were very useful and much appreciated. However, I am compelled to make one correction:

Mike Lookinland played Bobby on the popular TV series 'The Brady Bunch'. Not "Peter," as raysond suggested. Bobby was the youngest Brady boy (and in my opinion the cutest).

"Peter" was the middle Brady boy and played by the young actor Christopher Knight (who was indeed considered a "teen heartthrob" at the time).

'The Boy from Dead Man's Bayou' is an entertaining family movie and well worth watching. Mike Lookinland would have been about 9 or 10 years of age at the time the film was made. Lets hope this one is released on DVD soon, so fans can own it and enjoy it again and again.