Crank Yankers (TV Series 2002–2007) Poster

(2002–2007)

Very Funny Prank Call Show
michael_the_nermal7 July 2006
This is one of the few Comedy Central shows I like. There's no rhyme or reason to this program, except to bug people with prank calls. Unlike the prank calls you might make, these guys are actually talented and skilled comedians, and the characters they have crafted are memorable. This stuff is far superior to the prank call phenomenon that likely inspired it, "The Jerky Boys." My favorite is, of course, Special Ed, whose voice and mantras are simply hilarious. Other good characters include the perverse yet exaggeratedly upper-crust Niles Standish, the old man Elmer, and Birchum, the Vietnam vet. Kimmel, Carolla, Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes, and even "Family Guy's" Seth McFarlane lend their voices to these roles. All of these guys are gifted mimickers and put their acting talents to the fore for a simple childish game of prank calls. If you want to watch a funny Comedy Central show, watch this.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This show would be depressing,if it wasn't so funny
DarkVulcan2922 June 2006
A cool edgy puppet show, which is made so well detailed. A real life prank phone call show created from the insane minds of Adam Carolla, Jimmy Kimmell and Daniel Kellison. The puppets are used to give the calls more liveliness. This show created some memorable characters since Family Guy. The bitter war vet Dick Birchum(Adam Carolla), Mean spirited Hadassah(Sarah Silverman), Drunk pot smoking slacker Bobby Flecther(Jim Florentine), The Incredible nauseous Danny(David Alan Grier), OCD Ken(Kevin Nealon), sex crazed Cammie(Lisa Kushell) and The one who seems to be the most memorable is Special Ed(Also Jim Florentine). It is the magic of the comedic voices, and the puppeteers,that give the show its magic touch. I'll understand if it is cancelled, I mean how long can you on with a prank call show. But it is still fun to watch.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Never enough Special Ed, and by the way, those phone calls aren't real !!!
r9132517 December 2005
What made Crank Yankers so hysterically unique was not the scripted calls at all, but the show's regularly featured characters, up to and including Special Ed. The program presented a righteously insulting slap in the face against common political correctness and its more mundane pleasantries. Yankerville, a hysterically showcased micro-reality, features its token village idiot, senile codger, unemployed drunk, bunker ridden Vietnam vet, hot stripper, flaming homosexual, pathetic local politician, and more. These are the people in your neighborhood that everyone ridicules safely behind closed doors! Taking it over the top, Crank Yankers was the first programming novelty with sufficient courage, creative license, and artistic insight to shamelessly exploit these stereotypes while using a paradoxically benign backdrop of Jim Hensenesque puppetry for its punchline. Welcome to Sesame Street on crack! From the start of its merry little jingle to its rip roaring finish, Crank Yankers is refreshingly condescending, as a children's program is to the mentality of its viewers, and as its characters bear convincing relationships to very discrete but humorous public demographics.

A,B,C...Duh, no wait...A,B..Q,D,O,R...M,N,S,B...Yaaaaaah!!!!!! And it's a shame that Elmer will be sniffing himself no longer - all good things must come to a respectful close, now that Elmer may no longer leave his wet bed! Special Ed is busting a move in puppet paradise! Neil H. Gendreau.
A Waste of Time
General_G31 August 2005
This show is garbage. Crank phone calls are usually funny but this show sucks! There not even funny crank calls. Just because you call someone and burp a million times doesn't mean its funny. The puppets also die down the humor. Why can't they just show the people making the crank calls? This is the low for Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel's career. I always used to hate both of them, but now I'm a fan of Adam Carolla's new show Too Late with Adam Carolla. Can't they just let this show go now? I just want to call up Adam on Too Late and tell him the truth. Puppets plus crank calls equals low ratings. If you enjoy this show, shut up.
Made Me Cranky....
Andy (film-critic)18 December 2004
Growing up in the generation where a group known as the "Jerky Boys" were very popular and very funny, I was hesitant at first to watch this series. I was unimpressed with the use of the puppets, while more impressed with the comic voices that changed intermittently throughout the program to give depth to this fantasy town. I felt this was a gimmick, a cheap thrill so to speak, nothing like the wonderful filth that the "Jerky Boys" could bring. Crank Yankers was for children, for pre-teens with nothing more than an opportunity to sneak some of their parents beer and laugh at jokes and situations that were not really that funny. If you can't tell already, I was highly disappointed with this program. I watched about seven of these episodes before I had to just turn it off. I chuckled occasionally, but mostly sat with anticipation in my eyes that it would only get better … but it never did. There was nothing really "laugh out loud" funny with this show. The puppets are poorly done, the voices didn't seem to match (Spoony needed to be more suave, more "Ladies Man" than Mike Tyson), and the material is just bland.

Overall, I was very disappointed. Comedy Central did have an interesting idea with this one, but the execution left much to be desired. I had to turn this off before finishing all the episodes, and for a man that hates to do that, I was happy. This was a poor program. I hate to use the word, but "stupid" comes to mind. It never reached that level of hilarity that it possibly had the potential for. I recommend skipping this and checking out some old "Jerky Boys" stuff, I think you will see the originality finally emerge.

Grade: * out of *****
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
edwardmunsky
claymore-817 December 2004
Reading through the user comments, i see that some people really like the show, while others really dislike it. I guess it boils down to whether or not you like the idea of a prank joke and/or think they are funny. So pretty much, if you got picked on your'e not going to like it, which explains a lot of the comments found in this particular section of the website. I do agree with the overall sentiment that the character Special Ed really needs to go. Although listening him to repeat 'I've got mail!' while playing the AOL chime in the background about 40 times in a row was truly funny, I don't think i need to be laughing at the way handicapped people speak. I'd say a better way of putting this would be, even to those of you who think Special Ed is funny, would you laugh if a someone who was handicapped was in the room with you? I think not. However, would I laugh at the rednecks they call and harass if one of them were in the room with me? Yes. I would then craft them a belt made out of a bible and they would be reminded to go home.

And to edwardmunsky or whatever your name is, i was about to post a comment towards your views about the show, but then you said your favorite comedian was Gilbert Gottfried. Enough said.

Ryan
Very funny show.
schmo_jo12 November 2004
Very funny show. Despite the harsh criticism of such a respectable American such as edmundmuskie, this show does a good job of exposing human stupidity.

The absurd humor is taken with the utmost seriousness by the foolish prank call victims. And people who take the show seriously enough that they would adamantly speak out against it, can probably relate to the prank victims, being such easy targets.

The hilarious voice acting and quick-witted improv of the comedians involved is complemented by crappy puppetry that nostalgically brings the shows of Jim Henson to mind.

And, eddy, South Park is a social satire using transgressive humor. If you're easily offended, then you shouldn't be watching Comedy Central.
Special Ed......Yay!!!
I_luv_BradPitt21 October 2004
Actually not a really big fan of Crank Yankers, but some of the characters make it worth watching. Special Ed is absolutely hilarious even when he's obnoxious. The special guest appearances by people such as Wanda Sykes, Dennis Leary, and a few others are worth watching. And of course any show with Tenacious D has to be worth seeing. Mushoo is an awesome character as well. I guess it's kinda like an adult version of muppets. Definitely not something for the children and something to watch when there's no one around to question your sanity! Comedy Central puts it out there and the child in all of us adults enjoys it. Have a stressful job? Watch Crank Yankers and it will all go away. Or maybe not, depending on why your job's stressful. Customer service workers can imagine the people they speak to and really relax. What more is there to say? I've said it all.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teeerrrrible
iamerror22 September 2004
I remember this show looking really funny when it was first advertised. "Crank calls, puppets, and comedians," I thought. "How could you go wrong?"

The first thing that went wrong with this show was the Special Ed character. Because we all know how funny mental retardation is, right? There's not many things funnier than mental retardation, except maybe repetitive jokes that weren't even funny the first time. But this show has tons of those so I guess I really lucked out, huh? "Hey, this guy burps a lot. Isn't that funny?" "This guy was in Vietnam and he's craaaaaazy. Are we funny yet?" "Oh, wait. We got an unfunny English character, too." "We also got a guy that throws up. Throwing up is funny, right? No? Well, maybe if we do it over and over it will be."

Of course, there's been some funny calls on here. Most of them are pretty terrible, though. All of the returning characters seem to reach some sort of turbo-charged level of badness. Even comedians that are normally funny (David Cross comes to mind) seem to lose their funny powers on here.

All in all, this show is pretty bad. But what do you expect when it was created by Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel, two of the unfunniest people on the planet. The Man Show was one of the most pathetic shows ever put on TV. "Well, we could make a whole show with midgets and fart jokes. Maybe we could do a whole episode with midgets and then we could do one with fart jokes. Then, maybe we could do a whole episode with farting midgets."
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My thoughts on the show
Vermin_Empire7 April 2004
IT'S ABOUT TIME someone made a crank-call show. The Jerky Boys have been around since the early '90s and it's taken this long to put the premise to a show. Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla have pulled it off brilliantly. Using puppets to add visualization to the phony phone calls is a stroke of genius. This way, the producers can add to the "story" by personifying the victims and extrapolating possible reactions to the calls, or simply by poking fun at the "prankee". I can't stop laughing every time I watch this show. I especially enjoy the varied "celebrity yankers" who make the calls. It's interesting to try to put the voice to a name, and see if you were correct at the end of the show when they list the "yankers." Bottom line: if you liked The Jerky Boys albums, you will love Crank Yankers.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The show that makes me laugh the hardest!
chrisuab25 March 2004
There's never been a show like Crank Yankers before, ever! I don't even think there has been a show based on prank calls, let alone adult-humored puppets! So the originality of the sure is refreshing. I try to tape every episode. My favorite characters are Hadassah and Cammie. But all of them are great, EXCEPT I can see how Special Ed can be annoying. BUT, he is the cutest of the puppets which makes up for it. I would love to have a puppet of him for my room. Maybe I love this show so much because I'm a pranker myself. I make prank calls all the time to different businesses. I need to start recording them and make my own show!! :) I hope that Crank Yankers stays on Comedy Central for a long time!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I LOVE CRANK YANKERS!
Crank Yankers is the funniest show on television, I never miss an episode. The humor is not just limited to the crank calls but to the mannerism's and looks of the people being cranked and those dishing out the cranks. For instance (SPOILERS) a woman being cranked on the phone by Jimmy Kimmel and his children Kevin and Katie gives these innocent hand gestures when she is informed that Katie took a toothbrush from a store. Those gestures show her ability to forgive Katie. But when she finds out that Kevin stuck a bar of soap in his rectum, those innocent and forgiving hand gestures are no more and her face turns to shock. (END SPOILERS)

This is a multi-dimensional showcase of humor that I hope everyone sees for the brillance that it is among the very best shows on television. My favorites are Special Ed, Bobby Fletcher, Birchum, Spooney Luv from up above, and Wanda.
Nothing bad about show
mwill812 June 2003
Xarathos:

Crank Yankers is a hilarious show most of the time, and they don't always use "racial slurs", or stuff like that to make you laugh. (ie: the Karl Malone stuff, the Birchum stuff, etc.) And if it was against the law, hten the show wouldn't still be running. Prank calls aren't against the law, unless they are verbally assaulting the victim, or are false alarms to police stations, etc. And why are you referring to SNL? That is a respected show, and one of the greatest shows of all time. And the Chappelle's Show is very funny. Yes, it might be full of racial slurs, etc., but he's making fun of himself, which is funny. I always watch that show, along with South Park, SNL, Crank Yankers, etc. I don't see how you want to punch Dave Chappelle, I mean, he never does anything worse than what's on BET's Comic View! They are the few great sketch comedy show's that are still out there! And see how you commented on Family Guy, which was also a great show, it was a more adult Simpsons, and there's nothing wrong with that!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crank Calls + Puppets = Funny in my book!
syllavus29 May 2003
How can someone not find this show funny? The complaints about "lack of plotlines" are just ludicrous. Since when are crank calls supposed to have plots? The whole premise of the show is a wide range of comedians call up unsuspecting individuals and crank call them in a variety of hilarious ways, these calls are then acted out with puppets playing the roll of the cranker and the crankee. Some of the bits are funnier than others of course, but the same thing happens with any type of comedy program with sketches, and it doesn't stop the funny sketches from being fall-on-the-floor-hold-your-buns-in-place funny. Some of the crankers are completely hysterical in their dead-pan delivery of the crank calls. Kevin Nealon's performance as a man suffering from OCD who is looking to join a dating service and Wanda Sykes who calls someone to try and free her ass from her toilet are two of my personal favorites. One has to wonder if the people who received these calls ever heard themselves on Comedy Central afterwards and slapped their foreheads in agony. Crank Yankers definitely isn't for someone who has a problem with low-brow humor, as most of the jokes do hinge around making fun of other people or toilet humor. But if you're someone who enjoys a good laugh, even if it's at the sake of someone else, give Crank Yankers a try.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mehhhh, good for a chuckle now and then
SToensing17 May 2003
I used to hate this show, I didn't think it was funny, and at best one of the calls would get a brief smile out of me. However I'm gamely rethinking that point. After viewing a "Best of" tape of crank calls, I have to say that while it is certainly not the funniest think to come out of Comedy Central (not even close), maybe it isn't all that bad after all. Some of the calls can be pretty funny ("Battleship...and chess...and checkers...and Yatze....and stratigo...and life... and monopoly...and battleshzzzzzzzzzzz") and some are really really dumb and offensive ("on second thought I wasn't Abducted by aliens I was raped by teenagers") It all seems to even out between the old man and special ed this show isn't bad if you want periods of laughter broken up by a chance to leave the room and do something else for a bit.
Occasionally inspired... mostly filler
nunyerbiz15 May 2003
The show has some promise. Some of the prank calls are hilarious and actually compare well to some classic Jerky Boys calls.

That being said, the majority of the show is filler. Mediocre premises are beat into the ground repeatedly. You could make a pretty good hour long special from a season's worth of shows, but that's not really all that impressive.

As somebody else said, stick to the Jerky Boys CDs for your hilarious prank call fix. (Jerky Boys I and II are classics!)
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I actually agree with Dootus
Ericho12 May 2003
This is by far the worst show on Comedy Central! Why must they torture us with these stupid shows??!!! Air the early episodes of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" if you want to redeem yourself, Comedy Central! Anyway, the plot is just STUPID. I actually watched an episode last night because I didn't want to write a comment until I'd seen a whole episode, and it stunk!!! It's all about these stupid ugly puppets. I mean, are the calls supposed to be real or what??? I'm serious! When I-know-care-who was calling a Spanish guy, and talking about car crashes, was that suppossed to be a prank??!!! There isn't even a plot!! A stupid hillbilly wanting to serve in the Peace Corps? IT'S NOT FUNNY!!! The media should bring back "Muppets Tonight" which was a GREAT puppet show. Anyway, this piece of rubbage gets a big 2/10. Please, get rid of this, "Happy Trigger TV" and "South Park"! They all stink!!
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
its not that bad!
synkro023 April 2003
ok, so maybe some people would find it a waste of time. i actually have enjoyed the show! granted some calls are funnier than others, but it happens! the call i saw last night(in a new episode) where Niles (an actor) calls a photographer wanting a nude portrait of himself i found amusing seeing as i want to be a photographer! don't get me wrong, i have seen other episodes as well. again, some were more amusing than others. so this is what you do. you watch the show for yourself and make your own decision. if you like then great! if you don't, never watch it again and move on. this is one of those shows that either you like it or you don't, so at least give it a shot if you like comedy central.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Hype was better than the show
Sintek14 March 2003
While I never had high hopes for this show (prank calls are rarely funny), I did watch the first few episodes based solely on the advertisements that ran weeks before it premiered.

The first episode was mildly entertaining, and the second bearable; but by the third it was obvious the show had jumped the shark. It's tedious watching washed up comedians perform the same joke over and over (Ex: the guy who burps loudly while applying for a job over the phone, the ever-annoying handicapped "Special Ed" who screams for five minutes STRAIGHT), which wasn't funny the first time.

Comedy Central has no right to cancel GOOD shows like UCB and keep garbage like this on the air.
A Waste Of Time
paulbrec10 March 2003
This show has recently been released in Canada. I saw a couple of episodes, and thought it was a total waste. I think about these hard working, busy people, and these "comedians" calling them, and wasting their time. I think its terrible. I will never watch this garbage again. I work in an environment where I get outside calls all the time, and the last thing I need is someone messing around on the phone. I have better things to do. This is a very inconsiderate concept for a TV program.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not the funniest, but still worth a look.
rooboy8423 October 2002
I just love shows where you play jokes on unsuspecting victims, so of course I'd like this. Most of the time its funny, a few moments get a little boring, but overall its a pretty good show to sit back and have a laugh.

People who don't like it are probably those that have been victims of the show.