IMDb > "Crank Yankers" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Crank Yankers"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Crank Yankers" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Crank Calls + Puppets = Funny in my book!

Author: syllavus from Massachusetts, USA
29 May 2003

How can someone not find this show funny? The complaints about "lack of plotlines" are just ludicrous. Since when are crank calls supposed to have plots? The whole premise of the show is a wide range of comedians call up unsuspecting individuals and crank call them in a variety of hilarious ways, these calls are then acted out with puppets playing the roll of the cranker and the crankee. Some of the bits are funnier than others of course, but the same thing happens with any type of comedy program with sketches, and it doesn't stop the funny sketches from being fall-on-the-floor-hold-your-buns-in-place funny. Some of the crankers are completely hysterical in their dead-pan delivery of the crank calls. Kevin Nealon's performance as a man suffering from OCD who is looking to join a dating service and Wanda Sykes who calls someone to try and free her ass from her toilet are two of my personal favorites. One has to wonder if the people who received these calls ever heard themselves on Comedy Central afterwards and slapped their foreheads in agony. Crank Yankers definitely isn't for someone who has a problem with low-brow humor, as most of the jokes do hinge around making fun of other people or toilet humor. But if you're someone who enjoys a good laugh, even if it's at the sake of someone else, give Crank Yankers a try.

This show would be depressing,if it wasn't so funny

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
22 June 2006

A cool edgy puppet show, which is made so well detailed. A real life prank phone call show created from the insane minds of Adam Carolla, Jimmy Kimmell and Daniel Kellison. The puppets are used to give the calls more liveliness. This show created some memorable characters since Family Guy. The bitter war vet Dick Birchum(Adam Carolla), Mean spirited Hadassah(Sarah Silverman), Drunk pot smoking slacker Bobby Flecther(Jim Florentine), The Incredible nauseous Danny(David Alan Grier), OCD Ken(Kevin Nealon), sex crazed Cammie(Lisa Kushell) and The one who seems to be the most memorable is Special Ed(Also Jim Florentine). It is the magic of the comedic voices, and the puppeteers,that give the show its magic touch. I'll understand if it is cancelled, I mean how long can you on with a prank call show. But it is still fun to watch.

Teeerrrrible

Author: iamerror from Sacramento, CA
22 September 2004

I remember this show looking really funny when it was first advertised. "Crank calls, puppets, and comedians," I thought. "How could you go wrong?"

The first thing that went wrong with this show was the Special Ed character. Because we all know how funny mental retardation is, right? There's not many things funnier than mental retardation, except maybe repetitive jokes that weren't even funny the first time. But this show has tons of those so I guess I really lucked out, huh? "Hey, this guy burps a lot. Isn't that funny?" "This guy was in Vietnam and he's craaaaaazy. Are we funny yet?" "Oh, wait. We got an unfunny English character, too." "We also got a guy that throws up. Throwing up is funny, right? No? Well, maybe if we do it over and over it will be."

Of course, there's been some funny calls on here. Most of them are pretty terrible, though. All of the returning characters seem to reach some sort of turbo-charged level of badness. Even comedians that are normally funny (David Cross comes to mind) seem to lose their funny powers on here.

All in all, this show is pretty bad. But what do you expect when it was created by Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel, two of the unfunniest people on the planet. The Man Show was one of the most pathetic shows ever put on TV. "Well, we could make a whole show with midgets and fart jokes. Maybe we could do a whole episode with midgets and then we could do one with fart jokes. Then, maybe we could do a whole episode with farting midgets."

My thoughts on the show

Author: Vermin_Empire from Phoenix, Arizona
7 April 2004

IT'S ABOUT TIME someone made a crank-call show. The Jerky Boys have been around since the early '90s and it's taken this long to put the premise to a show. Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla have pulled it off brilliantly. Using puppets to add visualization to the phony phone calls is a stroke of genius. This way, the producers can add to the "story" by personifying the victims and extrapolating possible reactions to the calls, or simply by poking fun at the "prankee". I can't stop laughing every time I watch this show. I especially enjoy the varied "celebrity yankers" who make the calls. It's interesting to try to put the voice to a name, and see if you were correct at the end of the show when they list the "yankers." Bottom line: if you liked The Jerky Boys albums, you will love Crank Yankers.

Hilarious

Author: maggagie1
11 July 2002

This show is funnier than you would think it would be. Real phone calls with some well known comedians with real people on the other end of the line. It is one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time! The puppets they use to animate the callers are hilarious. Comedy Central scores another hit in their line-up of shows. You have to watch it to see just how great it is!

Very Funny Prank Call Show

Author: michael_the_nermal from United States
7 July 2006

This is one of the few Comedy Central shows I like. There's no rhyme or reason to this program, except to bug people with prank calls. Unlike the prank calls you might make, these guys are actually talented and skilled comedians, and the characters they have crafted are memorable. This stuff is far superior to the prank call phenomenon that likely inspired it, "The Jerky Boys." My favorite is, of course, Special Ed, whose voice and mantras are simply hilarious. Other good characters include the perverse yet exaggeratedly upper-crust Niles Standish, the old man Elmer, and Birchum, the Vietnam vet. Kimmel, Carolla, Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes, and even "Family Guy's" Seth McFarlane lend their voices to these roles. All of these guys are gifted mimickers and put their acting talents to the fore for a simple childish game of prank calls. If you want to watch a funny Comedy Central show, watch this.

Special Ed......Yay!!!

Author: I_luv_BradPitt from United States
21 October 2004

Actually not a really big fan of Crank Yankers, but some of the characters make it worth watching. Special Ed is absolutely hilarious even when he's obnoxious. The special guest appearances by people such as Wanda Sykes, Dennis Leary, and a few others are worth watching. And of course any show with Tenacious D has to be worth seeing. Mushoo is an awesome character as well. I guess it's kinda like an adult version of muppets. Definitely not something for the children and something to watch when there's no one around to question your sanity! Comedy Central puts it out there and the child in all of us adults enjoys it. Have a stressful job? Watch Crank Yankers and it will all go away. Or maybe not, depending on why your job's stressful. Customer service workers can imagine the people they speak to and really relax. What more is there to say? I've said it all.

How could you hate this show?

Author: FerrisBueller from Yankerville
7 October 2002

This show is so amazingly funny. It's done by the Man Show people, but even people who hate the Man Show love this show.Even my grandparents like it. The calls are really funny and the celebrities who do the voices(Adam Corolla, Jimmy Kimmel, Denis Leary, Dave Attel, Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes, Tracy Morgan, Kevin Nealon, etc.) fit perfectly. There's a really great CD of some of the calls.

Moral: Watch The Show!!!!

Never enough Special Ed, and by the way, those phone calls aren't real !!!

Author: r91325 from United States
17 December 2005

What made Crank Yankers so hysterically unique was not the scripted calls at all, but the show's regularly featured characters, up to and including Special Ed. The program presented a righteously insulting slap in the face against common political correctness and its more mundane pleasantries. Yankerville, a hysterically showcased micro-reality, features its token village idiot, senile codger, unemployed drunk, bunker ridden Vietnam vet, hot stripper, flaming homosexual, pathetic local politician, and more. These are the people in your neighborhood that everyone ridicules safely behind closed doors! Taking it over the top, Crank Yankers was the first programming novelty with sufficient courage, creative license, and artistic insight to shamelessly exploit these stereotypes while using a paradoxically benign backdrop of Jim Hensenesque puppetry for its punchline. Welcome to Sesame Street on crack! From the start of its merry little jingle to its rip roaring finish, Crank Yankers is refreshingly condescending, as a children's program is to the mentality of its viewers, and as its characters bear convincing relationships to very discrete but humorous public demographics.

A,B,C...Duh, no wait...A,B..Q,D,O,R...M,N,S,B...Yaaaaaah!!!!!! And it's a shame that Elmer will be sniffing himself no longer - all good things must come to a respectful close, now that Elmer may no longer leave his wet bed! Special Ed is busting a move in puppet paradise! Neil H. Gendreau.

I LOVE CRANK YANKERS!

Author: RamRichards
1 September 2003

Crank Yankers is the funniest show on television, I never miss an episode. The humor is not just limited to the crank calls but to the mannerism's and looks of the people being cranked and those dishing out the cranks. For instance (SPOILERS) a woman being cranked on the phone by Jimmy Kimmel and his children Kevin and Katie gives these innocent hand gestures when she is informed that Katie took a toothbrush from a store. Those gestures show her ability to forgive Katie. But when she finds out that Kevin stuck a bar of soap in his rectum, those innocent and forgiving hand gestures are no more and her face turns to shock. (END SPOILERS)

This is a multi-dimensional showcase of humor that I hope everyone sees for the brillance that it is among the very best shows on television. My favorites are Special Ed, Bobby Fletcher, Birchum, Spooney Luv from up above, and Wanda.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]