IMDb > "Family Affair" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Family Affair"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Family Affair" More at IMDbPro »

Just give it a chance! Family Affair does have its moments.

Author: rlparrt
10 October 2002

Almost anyone can comment on the fact that both adult leads (Tim Curry and Gary Cole) have stared in TV shows that failed, at three that I can think of. But this one is actually good, maybe even really good if the viewer can ignore the canned laugh track and the fact that it is really hard to do anything great with only half an hour. Sure, the characters seem really out of place on the WB, home of shows like Charmed and Angel, but maybe the idea of the family comedy/ sitcom is coming back. I never saw the original show, but this one is really very cute and charming. The chemistry is remarkably good, and the talent assembled is even better. Of course, the show is also up against Survivor and Friends, and because of that, I don't expect it to see the season through. Therefore catch it while you can! It is so worth it!

Good actors, but...

Author: zoemanning from Singapore
22 July 2003

I think the writers of Family Affair 2002 couldn't decide whether they wanted to do slapstick comedy, plain drama or a hybrid dramedy, so the show ends up as an odd mix that isn't really any of the above.

The decision not to record the show in front of a live audience was a huge mistake, since the subsequent "laughter tracks" seemed to be inserted out of place. It would have been way better if they followed Ally McBeal or The Gilmore Girls and dispense with the "canned" laughter altogether. There is simply not enough humour to spread out over each half-hour episode. I can't remember seeing any episode with more than two good jokes.

The actors tried their best, especially the younger actors. Caitlin Wachs is brilliant as Sissy and she's perhaps the only reason that kept me watching the show. Her acting is natural and convincing and is a step up from her performance in The Divine Secrets of The Ya Ya Sisterhood. Sarah Pieterse's Buffy has a surprisingly good range of emotions for her young age and has great potential. But the biggest boo-boo for the casting directors is their choice for the role of Jody. Jimmy Pinchak does a fine job as Jody, but he looks like he's much younger than Buffy and there's no way they could pass off as twins. Luckily the two of them have enough chemistry to make their sibling act believable.

Still, good acting alone can't save the show that is neither funny enough to be a comedy nor serious enough for a drama.

Very well done.

Author: Kristina Halleck (Krissette) from Grand Terrace, California
27 September 2002

"Family Affair" may seem rather dense and insipid, but I thought it was really good. The only thing that was bad about it was the premiere, because it dragged out for an hour and brought everything together. After that the show turned out to be a breeze.

To remark such vile comments on a show which hasn't even been developed yet, is beyond me. We need to to be given the chance to explore these characters and story more before given judgment on how the original series was, because not all remakes follow the original concept, but instead try to give us a different and unique view on the modern ways and world of today.

This show has been marvelous so far, and I do enjoy Tim Curry as Mr. French. He gives the show hope and does a splendid job.

Very good show with lots of potential -- give it a try!

Author: sandy46 from Knoxville, Tennessee
11 October 2002

For those of you (like me) who remember the first "Family Affair" you probably groaned when you heard of this "remake." So, apparently, did a lot of professional critics. Well, I have good news for you -- FORGET its a remake, watch it for itself, and you will find a refreshing, touching, funny show!

Yes, I admit it didn't start out too hot -- sappy story lines, 6-year-olds mugging too much, slapstick humor, and too much laugh track. But no more! After now 6 episodes, its gotten better each time! The story lines now manage to achieve that rare mix of being simultaneously touching and sensitive, yet funny (sometimes laugh-out-loud, other times amusing). Uncle Bill (the rich bachelor, Gary Cole) is learning to parent his nieces and nephew. Mr. French (the butler, Tim Curry) is learning to adapt and now keeps harried but effective control of the household. Sissy (the 14-year-old niece, Caitlin Wachs) is learning, in a gentle way, that she really does need someone to look after her. The two 6-year-olds are cute but thankfully have had little screen time lately.

The cast works quite well together. In particular, Curry is perfect as the butler, and Wachs is a delightful young actress who brightens each scene she is in.

The storylines indicate the writers now realize this show shouldn't be a "remake" but an opportunity to underscore how today's families may be unconventional yet still function and care for each other. If they keep it up, this will be a great show! For those of you with kids, its safe to let them watch. For those without, you don't realize you're watching a G-rated show.

Forget its a remake. If you watched it earlier and didn't like it, give it another chance. If you've never watched it, don't judge it until you've seen it! I think you're missing a GREAT show!

Is this a comedy?

Author: Mac-59 from Oslo, Norway
23 December 2003

One day I was watching an episode of Family Affair and about 3/4 of the way through, something odd happened. Tim Curry said something mildly amusing and then, in the background, I heard something that while not a real laugh, was definitely a chuckle. I checked to see if I'd missed a character in the scene. Who made that noise? , I wondered. I then realized that this show had a laughtrack all along. I didn't even know it was a comedy.

It actually took 3/4 of an episode for even the LAUGHTRACK to laugh....once. I have never seen that before.

If this is a sitcom and I'm still not convinced it is, it has to be the least funny one I have ever seen in my entire life. I am not kidding. It's like adding a laughtrack to the Days of Our Lives or something.

Too bad, because Tim Curry can be one of the funniest actors, if he had good material to work with. Not the case here...Here he looks really bored and ashamed of himself.

As good as the original

Author: dtekian from Albany Ny Usa
27 July 2003

How come there are so many bad comments about such a great show? This show is a remake of the 1966-1971 series, & I think this new version is as good as the original. The only 2 surviving members of the original series, Kathy Garver & Johnny Whitaker, ever made guest appearances on this new show.

Remake this is not...

Author: johnmeechum from California
31 October 2002

I am disappointed in the production of this show. It's nothing like the original. It has no baring to what the original story line or characters. I am a big fan of Anissa Jones and I was shocked to see Jody younger than Buffy in the new Family Affair. Both do not act like the originals or maybe they are not suppose to be like the original.

I give this new show a BIG thumbs down. I expected more from Tim Curry even though he had to gain weight for this show. Please cancel this show and save production money.

By the way, if anyone saw the original with Brian Keith, Sebastin Cabot, Anissa Jones, Johnny Whitaker and Kathy Garver than they know what this show was all about. The original was not funny but it was relaxing to watch.

I adore Tim Curry but not this show. He's a wonderful actor and he's wasting his time with this show.

Here is a Great Show

Author: Scotti_de_Radeclyf from Tulsa, Oklahoma
27 September 2002

Having only vague memories of the original Family Affair, I have nothing to compare this version to. I feel this is a great show! The whole reason I first tuned in was see Tim Curry as the picked on, put upon Mr. French. A character I feel that he does very well.

What keeps me coming back are Buffy & Jody... the primary reason Mr. French is picked on and put upon. I love the way the twins see French as the patsy for their practical jokes. Along with the fact that I think Sasha Pieterse {Buffy} is absolutely adorable.

At the same time... Caitlin Wachs is great and very cute in her roll of Cissie. As she appears to be the only sane character in the bunch. It will be interesting to see this character develop. As it is... I can see myself here week after week.

Like viewing a Train Wreck

Author: akemeyer (akemeyer@erols.com) from Virginia suburbs of DC
13 September 2002

Last night I felt as if I were viewing a train wreck happening in slow motion when I chanced upon the premiere of this remake. "Family Affair" in it's original form was not so endlessly wonderful that it deserved an update but it still deserved a far better fate that this dreary attempt. It was doomed from the onset with the creepy bantering over Bill Davis's (Gary Cole) love life with today's Mr. French (Tim Curry). Both men are talented actors woefully miscast in this show which makes me wonder who greenlit this awful idea. The children are insipidly cloying and uninteresting, the sexual innuendo jokes vile and the entire premise utterly absurd. In fact, the only character with any dignity or class or even believability was the long-suffering Mrs. Beasley. Nothing on earth could compel me to tune in to watch this dreck a second time. Should be put out of it's misery so the actors might move on to better (hopefully, but you never know in Hollywood) projects.

Underrated and under-appreciated

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 October 2009

Of course the original show is better, with Sebastian Cabot as Giles French. It isn't always hilarious, but it is relaxing to watch. This remake show is inferior, but actually not that bad. I don't get the low IMDb rating, it isn't that terrible. And I couldn't disagree more with the external review, Family Affair has its faults but it is still watchable. One thing that the producers should have scrapped was the laughter track; I for one found it distracting. The show does start off slow, but after the fifth episode or so, it kicks off. And Holiday Fever is one of the better episodes of the show for me. As much as I liked the performances of the two youngsters, they were very charming and turned in delightful performances, I don't understand why they made Jody younger than Buffy. Still the show, which was short lived, has its merits. The theme tune is really pleasant, and the opening credits were visually a delight. The show is still funny, if you ignore the laughter track, and I actually liked the acting from the adult leads. Tim Curry, a very underrated actor and unjustly too, was perfect as Mr French. I don't think he looked at all bored here, in fact he had some very droll and wise lines that he delivered effortlessly, and Gary Cole is amusing as Bill. Caitlin Wachs is a sheer delight as Sissy and brightens up every scene she's in, and this is just proof she was developing into a very talented actress. There was one episode when she wore a balldress, and she was absolutely stunning, like a princess. All in all, a very underrated show, could have been better, but nowhere near as bad as people lead you to believe. 7/10 Bethany Cox