IMDb > "Everwood" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Everwood"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Everwood" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
14 June 2013

A few years ago, I was watching a very forgettable movie on cable, so forgettable in fact, that I can't even remember the name of it. This film did however have a tremendous teen actor, who I took note of, because of the charisma and intensity that he brought to his role. I thought this kid could one day be a big star and took note of his name, Gregory Smith. Since then I have become a huge Gregory Smith fan, seeing most of his films and now his TV show, Everwood. The story of Everwood begins when world famous neurosurgeon, Dr. Andrew Brown (Treat Williams), loses his wife in a car accident. Distraught, Brown decides to leave his prestigious job and move his family from New York City to the small town of Everwood, Colorado, where he opens up a free medical clinic. Brown was a brilliant surgeon, but really doesn't have a clue about how to be a father. His children, in particular his son Ephram (Gregory Smith), does not make the transition easy on him. To be honest, this isn't the kind of show that I usually go for and I was only planning on watching a couple of episodes. A couple of episodes quickly turned into much more as this infectious group of people really drew me into their lives and touched me in a way that a TV show never has. Part of me could really relate to their personal struggles and attempts at overcoming the adversity they faced, if nothing else, It was empowering and inspirational. Veteran actor, Treat Williams, leads a truly terrific cast, playing the man whose turned his life upside down in order to get closer to his children. Dr. Brown is supposed to be the one who has all the answers, at the hospital, that may be true, but at home, it's a big learning curve for him. The dynamic between this quirky celebrity doctor and his introverted, yet artistic outcast son, is really the heart of this show. Gregory Smith is off the charts good as young Ephram Brown, who possesses many of the same qualities as his father. Those qualities are usually at odds with the qualities of his mother, causing him to be a bit impulsive and quick to speak his mind. Ephram quickly falls for the most popular girl in school, Amy Abbott (Emily Van Camp), who is the daughter of Everwood's first family. Amy clearly has feeling for Ephram, but a shocking secret that keeps her from getting close to him. Van Camp, now the star of ABC's Revenge, is asked to wear many hats, sometimes she's sweet and innocent, while at other times she's immature and irritating. but no matter the mood, she's always at the top of her game, really letting you feel, what Amy is feeling. Amy's father is Dr. Harold Abbott (Tom Amandes) who was the only doctor in Everwood, until Dr. Brown showed up. Abbott is arrogant, egocentric, and absolutely hysterical. Amandes brings some much needed comic relief to the show and his interactions with the other members of the cast are priceless. If it wasn't for Everwood being a WB show, Tom Amandes would have several Emmy Awards by now, because he really is that good. Everwood is a family drama that is at times hard to watch, because you will be deeply affected by these characters and at some point will be able to personally relate to what their going through. It pulls at the heart strings, that's for sure, but seeing that adversities faced by these characters and how they were able to over come them is really an inspiration. I said earlier that this is the kind of show that I don't usually watch, but it should be for the way it made me think and the way it made me feel.

If only there were 2 more seasons...

Author: mrshev from Switzerland
10 November 2012

Okay. Quick confession: I hated the pilot. I found it cheesy, badly acted and generally full of clichés. I nearly gave up after the second or third episode because it was so bad...

But, rather like the town and people of Everwood itself, it slowly got under my skin. The scripts and the acting get more consistent and I found myself warming to the whole cast. They are a little two dimensional at first but are played with warmth and skill by an accomplished cast and slowly they grow into their roles and flesh out a series that has long, satisfying story arcs that are always resolved. The teenagers seem to get equal screen-time as the adults and this adds a layer of richness to the show that bridges a gap that other shows seem to miss.

The show has obviously spawned lots of acting talent who have gone onto other things but I think honorable mentions should go to Treat Williams as Dr Brown, Gregory Smith as Dr Browns dishonorable teenage son and Tom Amandes who manages to be both annoying and extremely likable at the same time.

I know that it is Doc Hollywood done - AGAIN! (Cars? Anyone?) - but it's done well. With warmth and panache. This is not The Wire - and it has no intent to be - but it is well made, easy going drama that does everything you need it to do. It wraps up rather suddenly - and that is a crying shame because by the third season the show really gets into it's stride - it gets a bit over lit and some of the sets are a bit 'whoa' but the writing gets better.

I sometimes despair of the networks. This was a good show that had some serious legs left in it and one wonders if any of the output they replaced it with were as good. I suspect not.

Watch it. You won't regret it.

So touching, meaningful, educational and extremely enjoyable!

Author: pedrojoper from portugal
14 February 2009

I only watched the 3rd and 4th seasons (after reading about the first two), but loved every second spent living it. I said living it because you are so drawn into the plot, maybe because it feels so real, real stories from real people, who make mistakes and learn from them, are rewarded from every effort they make into building a relationship, and make choices which defines the path they will cross. We can only cross one path in our lives, and it's a one way street. This series show us the routes taken by these peoples, and the decisions made at every junction shape their lives. Bottom line, the whole series is highly recommended for everyone, especially to the target audience: young people who can relate to the characters in both age and what life asks of them, which is to make life-shaping decisions, and are asked to choose a path to walk on, while being aware of the difficulties each road presents.

Best on TV!!

Author: Jokilyn from SLC, Utah
12 March 2004

For a long time, I had never been the kind of person to regularly watch a certain series. The WB's Smallville came out and I finally found a show that I could sit down and watch and never get tired of. If anything, I eagerly anticipated the next week when a new episode would grace my television screen. I wanted more though! I wanted something that I could relate to. Something that had a bit more "everyday," real-life kind of stuff in it.

Then came "Everwood!"

Since the series premiere, I have not missed a single episode!! Thankfully, along with my busy life, I have a Tivo and am able to watch it at my convenience. I love the GREAT combination of actors, writers, and directors!! It's a phenomenal show and I love every twist and turn it takes each episode. It really draws you in and has GREAT character development. You feel like you live there and know each character personally. If I ever ran into Treat or anyone else in the cast, I'm afraid I'd say something like, "Hey, how's the family these days, Dr. Brown?" or "How's Amy, Dr. Abbott?!" It's an excellent show and I hope that they continue it. Too many shows get canceled before they have a chance to show what they've got. I hope that Everwood doesn't fall into that category. I'd hate to see this amazing cast get split up!!

Different from other family dramas

Author: JamieRaven from Alabama
30 January 2004

If I could pick one show for a family to sit down and watch together, it would be this one. Never have I seen so many crucial topics discussed that any average family may face. The acting is superb with a cast that click well together. We see a widowed father taking his two children from the opportunities of Manhattan to the conservative small town life of Everwood, Colorado. Too often we see single parenthood portrayed from the mother's point of view, so this is a nice change.

to steal another networks tag line: "TV worth watching"

Author: Bob (bob.filipiak@earthlink.net) from florida
3 January 2004

Last year (in 2002), I viewed a couple of episodes of Everwood. It did not take long for me to be hooked. Good series, believable characters (except for Dr, Borwn NOT charging his patients!), exceptional acting. In some ways this series represents what talk show host Glenn Beck refers to as the "real America". (no free plug intended). Thankfully, it is not another "tale of the 'hood" complete with vile and degrading rap lyrics; gang violence and societal decay. It is also no "Ozzie and Harriet Nelson" either.

Problems of life are honestly explored. Amy Abbot's depression and her father's (Dr. Abbot) reluctance to quickly prescribe anti-depressiion medications story thread was well drawn out, and to a head. It forced dad to make a choice.

Gregory Smith (as Ephram) is superb. He makes excellent use of his acting skills. Ephram can be quite the adult, yet, remain that 16 year old. Madison (Sarah Lancaster) tagged Ephram correctly as someone wiser than his years. I wish that the 22 year old college student living next door to me when I was 16, was as HOT as Madison.

There are several other story line threads to explore. Whether or not Dr.Brown and Dr. (Linda) Abbot will "connect" is one I would like to see explored. The thread with Amy and the "new" boy in town. What becomes of the Ephram and Madison "lust" thread. I only hope that the series writers keep up the quality.

Better than average, not just another "teen angst" drama

Author: marcibun from Chicago, IL
27 November 2003

With the loss of Dawson's Creek from the prime time lineup, I was thirsting for well written, entertaining "drama". Thank heaven for Everwood. The writing is excellent, clearly above the norm for this type of show. The characters are so varied in nature and have such a richness to them that their appeal is multi-generational. I myself, a 30 something housewife and mother of two, find myself glued to the screen every monday night for an hour of sheer enjoyment. Everwood is a guilty pleasure that is sure to be around for many years to come.

Great drama with realistic situations

Author: Kris-111 from New York, USA
27 November 2003

Everwood is a fantastic drama that reaches both youths and adults alike. It displays the relationship in a family that has not always been close, but somehow are getting there now. It also deals with the relations amongst the town of Everwood's population. It's talking about serious issues that concern youths of the world today and problems that DO occur.

Everwood is one of the most genuine shows on tv

Author: volleygal_87 from Santa Barbara, California
13 October 2003

So many shows that are out this season are superficial and false about very real issues. That is why Everwood is one of the most genuine out there. What saves us from all the trash is shows like this because it is about real people with issues and faults instead of bad jokes and false reality shows. The second season started off with usual high school routine. Ephram and Amy are juniors now, so their parents start to get interested in getting them into good colleges. They start having to make choices about their lives that might drastically change their future. The one thing that kept Amy and Ephram apart was colin. even though he has already died from the surgery Amy still has issues moving on and is going through depression etc. she is haveing trouble dealing so she talks to a school councellor and he wants to put her on medication for depression but her father will not fill the perscription because he is denying that she has a problem. I am so excited to see the rest on this season! it is definetly one of my favorite shows!

~Gillian~

"I am a consumer whore!" "and how!"

WB has done it again

Author: Christina (Alashae2000) from Australia
3 October 2003

I recently went on a trip to UTAH and our hotel cleaner said something about this new TV Show on the WB called Everwood, she said that It was a very good show, real reality and not only is it dramatic and funny, it also is educational, in the last episode that I saw it had a young girl who had to deal with the fact she was having a baby, it's really good the way she deals with it, my favourite character is Ephram because he reminds me of me..expect I haven't lost my mother and I'm not a guy.I can't wait until it starts in Australia this year.

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]