IMDb > Mission: Impossible III (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mission: Impossible III

Mission: Impossible III More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 86: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

See how Tom runs

Author: charlietperez from Italy
4 February 2007

Messy, loud, ridiculous and all the other things that the devoted fans of the genre expect. At least that's what I imagine. Personally, I find it an indigested soufflé full of heavy duty ingredients that don't seem to melt all that way together. Fortysomething super star Tom Crusie - one of my favorites from the 80's and 90's - runs like the wind from Shanghai to the Vatican (the one in Caserta not the one in Rome)I didn't know what the rabbit foot was and, quite simply, I didn't care. In fact I didn't care about any of it. It took a me little while to realize that the wife in jeopardy wasn't Katie Holmes and I was kind of embarrassed for Philip Seymour Hoffman and Billy Crudup. To think that with all the power at Cruise/Wagner's feet, they could be making the most extraordinary movies. Commercial movies too, but how disappointing to find out that their ambitions are so basic and pedestrian. MI3 as an action flick I guess it's okay but, just okay, shouldn't be acceptable and for what I gather, it wasn't. Come on Tom, you can afford to take risks, can't you? So what are you waiting for? I know you could still dazzled us. "Born On The 4th Of July" "Color Of Money" and "Rain Man" were not that long ago.

M:I:III works to reinvigorate a series that got tired after one movie.

Author: Nick McDougall from Australia
4 May 2006

I'll say right now i'm not a fan of M:I:II. i saw it out of patriotism, but couldn't have been more disappointed, considering the first movie is an incredibly tense and well thought out thriller. this third installment however, is a strong step back in the right direction, and probably outshines even the first film. After seeing this, i cant wait to see what will happen in the future for this series.

One hugely important element here is the supporting cast, who are all brilliant without exception. Michelle Monaghan as the fiancé makes you completely understand why Ethan Hunt would want to turn his back on his secret service days. Hoffman is unflappably calculating, evil and awesome, the kind of bad guy who doesn't evil monologue, doesn't reveal a thing, and is watching you every second to uncover your weakness. Billy Crudup works perfectly as the agent who seems out of his depth and yet seems completely trustworthy. Jonathan Rhys Myers seems perfectly at ease transforming from one disguise and accent to another, and gives what would have been a throw away part so much more character. Maggie Q is beautiful, and like Myers, gives her character much more than what seems to be written for her. Laurence Fishburn speaks each and every line of dialogue with a degree of cool reserved for his acting style alone. Simon Pegg, i cant watch this man without laughing, he manages to make anything seem funny. If they do in fact make any future instalments for the MI series I really hope they keep some of these characters going on. Ving Rhames has staked himself recurring ground and it would be great to see a few more familiar faces.

Secondly is the direction, Abrams makes his big screen directorial debut count in every way possible. he manages to balance his exploration of both the significance of the characters and the significance of explosive action set pieces in a way that satisfies exactly what i was hoping to see from this film.

The script seems to have taken the strongest elements of the first two movies and mixed them together, so we get to see the intelligence of the first movie through the spy thriller genre, as well as the fast paced, highly stylised antics of the second movie through the action genre. the result is one of excellent cinematic entertainment. rush out and see it. SEE IT NOW I SAY!!!

I think this movie should have been called 'Ethan Hunt: Superman'

Author: Movieguy_blogs_com from United States
10 May 2006

In 'MI-III' Tom Cruise returns as Ethan Hunt, an agent of the Impossible Mission Force (IMF). Ethan is an instructor, he is no longer in the field. But when his Protège student is captured by a ruthless arms dealer, he decides to break out of retirement and go to the rescue.

I think this movie should have been called 'Ethan Hunt: Superman'. I think since Tom is one of the producers, he wants to go out with a bang. It is loaded with all out action; so much action that it is really quite unbelievable in parts. I thought the plot was a little weak, however it is certainly better than 'MI-2'. I was very disappointed that Philip Seymour Hoffman had such a small role. He does have a couple of good scenes, but does not appear to be a main character. This movie is all about Tom.

This film pales by comparison to the original 'Mission: Impossible'.

The best in the series

Author: d_spych from Canada
5 July 2014

Mission impossible 3 is an awesome movie it is the best in the mission impossible series. the action is really awesome and my favourite scenes are the drone attack and the mission to have everyone think Davian was dead. Everything makes sense and is linked to the story which incredibly important and here it is done well. The movie is not confusing and it is easy to follow. There some unexpected twists which is awesome since it isn't predictable. i like the way everything they do at the beginning of the Davian abduction scene makes no sense what so ever and then you are filled in and it all makes sense which is cool. The action is not cheesy unlike mission impossible 1 and is very well filmed liked in mission impossible 2 but what makes it better is that there are more action scenes. I recommend this movie to everyone since it is full of well done action,easy to follow and it all makes sense in the end

Another twisted but better executed Mission Impossible movie

Author: Thomas Drufke
3 June 2014

It's definitely the best film adaptation of the Mission Impossible series yet. With JJ Abrams at the helm, you know you will get a well executed explosion type action thriller, but he also helps give us more character development than any MI movie has given us. He also gave us the best villain yet in Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Owen Davian. From the opening scene he shows us just how terrifying he can be. This movie also gave us a love interest that we can actually care about. In an action spy thriller, it's the best love interest we have had since Eva Green in Casino Royale. At times it has too many twists and turns for my liking, but the end result paid off. I was glad to see that they kept the mask pulling to a minimum this go around.

It's a hugely entertaining movie and it manages to support character based drama while still staying true to the Ethan Hunt crazy stunts and the absolutely impossible missions. Hoffman is the best part of the movie, but I think Cruise gives a fantastic performance, and possibly his best spy role yet. Michelle Monaghan was also great and I cant forget to mention the great supporting cast, including that small Aaron Paul cameo. I really think the story was also the best yet for MI, but still disappointing that we never get to find out what this Rabbit Foot thing is.

I think the MI franchise is heading in the right direction. I will watch Ghost Protocol soon and I am ecstatic for MI 5 next year. As long as these movies don't go too crazy like MI 2, where the masks are absolutely overused, then they will continue to make loads of money and please audiences.

+Hoffman runs the film

+Only a few mask pulls

+better character drama then previously seen

-maybe a few too many twists

8.2/10

The name's Cruise, Tom Cruise

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
18 May 2014

Yes, it's that time again where Tom Cruise basically gives us the American version of a James Bond film (not counting Matt Damon's Bourne saga). Now, that might be a bit of a copy... you have the typical globetrotting, coupled with the man who's going to sell something bad to someone even worse, not to mention a doublecross which you may or may not see coming. However, the Mission Impossible films just so happen to be really good fun.

For a start they're all serious (i.e. like the 'modern' Bond films, rather than Roger Moore's time holding the Vodka Martinis), so if you're looking for something a little tongue-in-cheek then you won't find it here. And they're filled with enough action to make Bond himself work up a sweat. However, unlike Bond and Bourne, Tom doesn't go it alone. He has a team of IMF agents in tow to help him get the job done. And, in this case, the 'job' involves catching someone bad who's trying to sell something even worse to someone yet still worse (I think I mentioned that).

And, like just about every other international spy film, they have to travel the world to many scenic locations to blow stuff up (not that they mean to blow up every venue they visit, but it just happens to always end up that way). So, if that sort of film is your cup of tea, you'll be in for a couple of fun-filled hours.

Yes, you might have to suspend your disbelief a little bit to imagine Tom Cruise still managing to remain in one piece (due to the amount of punishment he can apparently take), let alone capable of saving the world every few minutes, but... isn't that why we've watched the Bond films for so long?

Justifies the Existence of this Franchise

Author: Joshua Mitchell from Here
16 March 2014

The first 3 minutes alone of Mission: Impossible III are better than anything in the previous two Mission: Impossible films. After a middling original, and an unwatchably boring sequel, Mission: Impossible III is a breath of fresh air. The action sequences are tight, the performances are great, and the film is all around fun from start to finish.

Ethan Hunt is on yet another "impossible" mission, though this time, things are complicated due to his recent marriage. Hunt is on the search for a "rabbit's foot" that is also being targeted by the villainous Owen Davian.

While portions of the plot seem relatively familiar to the first two installments, Mission: Impossible III is a significant improvement over the Brian de Palma's (and an infinite improvement over the disastrous Mission: Impossible II). Any and all of the problems with the previous two films are completely fixed here. Thus, Mission: Impossible III is one smooth ride.

The action sequences are fantastic. Some of them are great fun, while others provide impressive tension. Indeed, there are a number of "edge- of-your-seat" moments- something that the first two films were sorely lacking. And thankfully, these sequences are never too long. The second film suffered from (among other things) tedious action scenes that lasted far too long, whereas Mission: Impossible III does a much better job of keeping them tight and manageable.

And surprisingly, the stuff inbetween the action isn't so bad either! That's called "story," yes? It's nice to see that in an action film. It's not as absurdly convoluted as the first Mission: Impossible, nor as insultingly simplistic as the second film. Mission: Impossible III strikes a nice balance to avoid being a massive chore, or a massive bore.

The tone of this film seems a bit more gritty than the previous two films (though it still allots time for fun). With the addition of a spouse, Ethan Hunt is in a much more stressful situation then before (this sort of thing was attempted in Mission: Impossible II, but it failed to provide anything more than a half-baked love triangle). And the villain, Owen Davian is far more menacing and memorable than the villains in any of the previous Mission: Impossible films.

Also, I should add that the screenplay is great. Unlike the first two films, where the combined dialogue highlight was "Hasta lasagna, don't get any on ya," there are some really snappy lines here. Characters are allowed amusing banter and clever quips that make the primary cast more likable, and the downtime between action sequences just as entertaining as the explosions and gunfire.

None of the performances are on auto-pilot here. Tom Cruise gives a performance that far exceeds the depth of his previous engagements with this franchise, and Ving Rhames reprises his role of Luther Stickell (a character that's given a much better script this time around). Laurence Fishburne as the head of IMF is very entertaining in his role, and Simon Pegg in his two scenes alone make this film worth watching. Billy Crudup, Michelle Monaghan, and Keri Russel also provide notable performances, but the acting highlight is Philip Seymour Hoffman as the antagonist, Owen Davian. He's completely despicable and menacing, and brutally unforgiving portraying the most interesting and memorable Mission: Impossible villain of the film series thus far.

The score is composed by Michael Giacchino- thankfully, with an orchestra this time, unlike Zimmer's electric guitar garbage that provided the music for Mission: Impossible II. While full uses of the classic Mission: Impossible theme are used sparingly, Giacchino's own material is entertaining enough to easily forgive this. In fact, it's probably the most engaging and entertaining score of the franchise so far. That said, though, one gets the feeling that Giacchino could probably right this stuff in his sleep. Still, it's good fun.

It's hard to complain about a movie that fixes everything that its predecessors did wrong. That's not to say that Mission: Impossible III is a perfect movie, but it's closer to being one than the previous two films. Simply said, Mission: Impossible III provides what's most important for this kind of film: Fun. But it's certainly appreciated that it manages to add an ounce of intelligence and craft to the offerings as well.

A much needed action packed kick start after the disaster that was John Woo's MI2

Author: jeev7882 from Chicago, IL
7 June 2012

Cruise's first movie to open after his Oprah chair hopping debacle – which somehow lost him more fans than Brad Pitt's cheating on his wife debacle – was TV mogul J.J. Abram's big splash as a silver screen director. After the disaster that was John Woo's MI2, the MI series needed a kick start and that's exactly what it got in the action packed MI3.

All the familiars return including Cruise, Ving Rhames, and wise cracking Simon Pegg. Thrown into the mix is a fiendish Philip Seymour Hoffman as resident terrorist Owen Davian. The plot is simple enough with no real big twists like the original had. But, this is more a summer action fest than DePalma's methodically paced thriller.

Go to http://thethreeacts.wordpress.com/category/all-movie-reviews/ to read the complete review!

The Best Mission Than The Previous Two!

Author: otisalmato from Indonesia
21 April 2012

Dumb, dumb, dumb-dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb-dumb.. Dumb, dumb, dumb-dumb, dumb, dumb..

Soon when the theme by Lalo Schifrin starts to play after the teaser opening, my blood vessels felt like injected by an excitement serum and my eyes didn't blink for a millisecond till the line up of co-stars ends with a loud bang. I know its gonna be a hell of a roller-coaster ride by then. And I was right. Around 1.45 minutes later, I have reached my final conclusion about this film.. Mission: Impossible III is by far the best series than the previous two!

Synopsis: Super-spy Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) has retired from active duty to trains new IMF agents. But he is called back into action to retrieve a captured agent Lindsey (Keri Russell) from the toughest villain he's ever faced - Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman), an international weapons and information provider with no remorse and no conscience. Hunt assembles his team - his old friend Luther Strickell (Ving Rhames), transportation expert Declan (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), background operative Zhen (Maggie Q), - to travel the globe pursuing Davian, and inadvertently puts Ethan's love, Julia (Michelle Monaghan), in a very great danger.

I was really-really thankful for how I underestimated this movie before. When I step inside the Cinema, I have put down my guard, no expectations, and just plainly want to enjoy Mr. Cruise's screen persona which never failed me, and Keri Russell who I have crushed since "Felicity".

Apparently all I got is way more than I bargained for. M:i III is back to where the original of the TV series are rooted. Firstly, I love the fact that this film is not an ego-driven vehicle like the first two films. When I got to see Ethan's team hand-in-hand in every mission from start till end of this film, I said to myself, "This is what I'm talking about!". I've been a fan of the TV series, and the Mission: Impossible movies (so far) really didn't work that much for me.. Until I saw this one!

I love every aspects of the film. I love the script which focuses on Ethan's personal life, and stresses that teamwork is the key to success. I love Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the perfect slimy piece of s**t named Owen Davian. Seeing him match wits with Cruise's Ethan when both of them are at the top of their respective games is worth the admission price alone. I love the rest of the cast.. Ooohh I love them. Laurence Fishburne is always delivers gritty one-liners. Keri Russel does action bits, are lovely (I love the hair Keri!). The comic stir-up by Ving Rhames, are entertaining. Michelle Monaghan and her sweetness, aside of her being casted is suspiciously because of her resemblance to Katie Holmes. And as for the rest of the cast, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and Maggie Q, although their character are one dimensional, I could understand that this film based on Ethan's point of view. They're there to finish the job, then that's it that we need to know. Too bad, Billy Crudup's character are so underwritten that I couldn't understand and missed the part where his involvement took place.

But that one tiny bit of flaw is already forgotten and forgiven once I saw the "Facemaker". Yep, I guess that's what it's name. It was the tool where the agents used to copy the face of their subject, done it into a mask, and, voilà… a perfect undercover. And the gadgets to copy their subjects voice are also fascinating. I love the scene where these utilities are written, they're gripping. Just like in the TV series.

I also love the ending. The twists of "the-who-dunnit" ending really fooled me. Which is good, that this means the film is out of the cliché universe.

Overall, I love the action scenes. The real star of this movie is, the one and only Mr. Tom Cruise himself. I'm sure he got beaten, battered up, bruised up, knocked down several times to complete these magnificent scenes. I believe his totalitarianism throughout this movie are not in this world. A double thumbs up on his instinct to believe this project directed by J.J Abrams from "Lost" and "Alias" stardom.

I cant wait for the Special Edition DVD. Sign me up!

Better than the second film, but falls short from being the best.

Author: Drew St. Pierre from Maine
14 April 2012

STORY: Mission: Impossible III follows Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise), who retires as a leader in the IMF. When he was about to plan on marrying his fiancée, Julia (Michelle Monaghan), he gets called back into action and has prepared a team with his old friend Luther Stickell (Ving Rhames), Declan Gormley (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), and Zhen Lei, (Maggie Q).

They go around the world in order to confront an infamous black market dealer named Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman), so they could capture him and a nuclear device called the "Rabbit's Foot," and then Hunt will eventually save Julia, who has been kidnapped by Davian.

MY THOUGHTS: This movie is, once again, directed by a different director; J.J Abrams, the creator of the hit TV shows, Lost and Alias, and he was also the director of Star Trek and Super 8.

Mission: Impossible III was really good, and I thought it was more enjoyable than the second film, but it isn't better than the first film, though.

The action sequences in Mission: Impossible III were exhilarating. Director J.J. Abrams, he knows how to make an action movie exciting. I think he did a great job directing the film.

THE ACTING: Tom Cruise, once again, does a really good job playing Ethan Hunt. I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman had a good supporting role as the villain, Owen Davian, and the rest of the supporting cast did good like, Michelle Monaghan, Laurence Fishburne, and Ving Rhames.

IN CONCLUSION: Mission: Impossible III was a more entertaining film than the second one, and it isn't as great as the first one, but it is close. And director J.J. Abrams knows how to make a spy/action film more entertaining than the previous film.