IMDb > Daddy Day Care (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good Family Entertainment

Author: mjw2305 from England
29 December 2006

Eddie Murphy and Jeff Garlin are two fathers who lose their jobs in product development at a large food company and decide to set up their very own day care centre. Using unconventional methods 'Daddy Day Care' starts to catch on, bringing with it the rivalry from Anjelica Huston who runs the Chapman academy and has already driven all the other competitors out of business.

Daddy Day Care really is fun for all the family and has a cast of characters that you will genuinely care about, Murphy, Garlin and Huston; along with the children all give fine performances making Daddy Day Care a hit.

The Cast (even the kids) are tremendous fun!

Author: stephen_thanabalan_fans from Australia
3 September 2005

Casting for this film was brilliant. In fact, it could not have been anything less, given that the final edited product - which boasts of great interplay and chemistry between the crew, cast and the kids- was a great family film (decent, entertaining, and heartfelt). What is particularly nifty is that in this film, like some others including Judge Reinhold's Vice Versa (1988), we get to see a children's movie for adults with both the kids and the adults sharing equal stage presence, which really is splendid.

Eddie Murphy (now into his family man image phase) and fellow co-stars like Steve Zahn (playing yet another geeky role with slick comic timing) really capture the screen with their ability to play such innocently playful and tender roles and when you watch them engage in conversations with the child actors (who must have been a handful to manage), one can tell instantly there was chemistry on and off screen there (even child actors are kids and kids know who to trust) that went on to boost the production set.

The credits even run a series of bloopers which showed the whole cast and crew crying out in laughter after the some of the cherubic kids deliver hilarious comments in between takes. The fun and interaction they must have all shared as a crew unit must have been dewy cheeked wonderful! This boost spills over into the film as one can definitely sense the fun filed atmosphere, and even if someone disagrees they'd definitely agree that there was loads of confetti colour and delightful rainbow filled moments throughout the film, which kind of also is a credit to the originality of this film's screenplay.

Harmless fun for those who don't need swearing to find something amusing.

Author: Rob_Taylor
4 June 2003

Y'know, it's kind of sad to see some of the comments bemoaning Eddie Murphy for not swearing enough anymore. It's almost as if some people equate foul language with humour. If you're one of those people who thinks a comic sketch is much funnier with swearing in it, then you'll no doubt not like Eddie in this movie.

On the whole, I found DDC to be harmless, unpretentious entertainment aimed at kids, naturally, but with sufficient adult-only gags thrown in to keep the parents happy. In short, a formulaic kids movie designed to keep parents from being bored and kids amused.

The plot is silly, and predictable, but you don't go to these sorts of films looking for deep and meaningful dialogue or witty social commentary. You just go to be entertained. And DDC does deliver on that score.

Of particular amusement is Steve Zahn, as the rather cliched Star Trek geek who is the only one who can speak to one of kids - in Klingon! He does kind of steal a lot of the scenes in which he's in. Anjelica Huston is starting to look real old, but still has that menacing screen presence that no doubt helped land her the role of Mrs Harridan (yep, that really is her name) in this picture. I'm thinking she would have made a much better Cruella de Ville than Glen Close's overacting scenery munching version in 101 Dalmations.

The only thing I found a little irritating about this movie was the number of times a microphone popped into view at the top of the screen. I must have counted at least five instances. I kind of grew used to this in the 80's straight-to-video days, but you don't really expect to see it nowadays, so it was a little annoying.

Other than that, the movie is harmless and fun. And for those that complain about Eddie not swearing enough....this is a KIDS film, you know.

Mixed Feelings

Author: SpazMcG7 from United States
17 January 2005

I've seen this movie a couple of times and I'm feeling rather mixed about it. On one level I have a new kind of respect for Eddie, seeing him in a nice family movie that I can show my baby cousins and still laugh at myself. However I also know that we've passed the point of no return on this one, we will never again see the strong 80's Eddie that we once loved. I suppose we should look at this as a new chapter in the career of one of America's funniest men, and while it is depressing I'm still slightly awed that Eddie is still on the scene. After several blundering movies and one very sorry attempt at singing stardom we find an enduring man who can in fact change with the times. So for all the Daddy DayCare bashers I think you should just be glad the our favorites Murphy man is still around.

Not Too Bad...Surprisingly

Author: Alyssa from Canada
7 November 2005

Ever since I saw "Baby Geniuses" I automatically hated any movie that involved obnoxious young toddlers...especially babies who are supposed to be smarter than everyone else. But two years ago when I was in grade six, and it was in theaters, a couple of my friends wanted to see it, so I thought "how bad could it really be?!"

After I saw this movie, I was so0o0 glad i gave it a chance! It was so cute and funny and the little kids weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I actually never knew that Elle Fanning would be in it.I am a huge fan of her sister Dakota, and I like her a lot too. She is following right in her big sister's footsteps. And even though she wasn't a main character, she was really cute in the scenes she was in like when she called 911 after Crispin stole her doll and ripped off it's head.

I guess making this movie would be kind of hard, seeing as most of the actors are four and five year old children. It might be a little hard to get them to do everything you want them to, but obviously they did a great job, because the movie turned out awesome! Eddie Murphy was so funny and it was pretty clear that he enjoyed working with the kids and vice versa.

This is a great movie to watch if you ever feel like a laugh. After I bought the DVD, I saw some of the bonus features which were pretty cute. You get to find out more about the kids in "Daddy Day Care" and their point of view on being in it. They're actually all pretty cute. So if you feel like seeing a funny movie, go out and rent this one. 8/10.

So sticky sweet that you might be sick or satisfied, depending on what kind of person you are

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
11 June 2003

Okay, okay. How exactly do you give a movie like this a horrible grade? It's too cute to call bad, and how can an innocent children's film be considered a corrupted form of entertainment. Well, I guess I'm a sucker. With all of the cute kids, the laughable Star Trek fan (Steve Zahn at his best), and a diverse collection of neurotic characters plays into a movie that was focused-grouped t o the point of near banality. But then again, you can't put this film down simply because the kids were so great. So, I put down Eddie Murphy, who must be longing for the days of Beverly Hills Cop. Sure, he was respectable and funny, but his hard hitting days are well past him. I will say this, Lacey Chabert was absolutely smoking, and Angelica Huston was perfect as the evil school marm.

A more subdued Eddie shows that less IS more..

Author: canuckteach from Ontario
2 February 2008

Caught this today on DVD with a buddy's grand-kids, and was pleasantly surprised. I have given it 9 out of 10, not for pure artistic merit, but as a funny 'family-film'. Certainly, the current rating here at IMDb is pessimistic. There are only 2 or 3 decent films of this sort produced annually in Hollywood, the rest being utter trash.

Eddie Murphy plays a more subdued role than we might expect as a high-powered 'player' in the ad game, with little time for his family. A sudden change finds him desperate for work or an enterprise, in a plot ploy reminiscent of Michael Keaton's "Mr. Mom". The unfolding action finds Eddie scrambling to operate a day care facility with frenetic partners Jeff Garlin and, later, Steve Zahn. Murphy allows that duo to handle the slapstick end of things. He remains the thinker and the one who calms the waves of lunacy, allowing the plot to move forward to the next challenge facing our heroes.

The satirical side of this story is shown by examining the competing (snotty) daycare center of the always-delightful Angelica Huston, reprising her 'vampy villainess' role of "Ever After". She runs a sophisticated academy for toddlers that Fraser and Niles Crane might envy (but it really needs to be taken down a peg or two).

Refreshing, too, is the portrayal of the daycare inspector unleashed on Eddie by Huston. Instead of the typical clichéd grump who threatens and hollers, we get a tender, supportive fella who really wants the boys to succeed (we find out why at the end - watch the puppet show carefully!).

Garlin is the closest thing I've seen to a replacement for our departed and dear John Candy, a slightly over-sized actor who can combine tenderness with slapstick! Zahn was an unusual sidekick fit as 'Giordino' to McConaughey's 'Dirk Pitt' in "Sahara", and, here as a hapless Trekkie, impresses with his comedic timing.

Other notables pop up in supporting roles, and the kids are terrific. Enjoy!

Final word to other actors of (former) glory: check your ego at the door, share the limelight with a great supporting cast and find a real script with likable or compelling characters. in no particular order.

Wholesome Fun

Author: mrso_ory from United States
27 August 2013

This is just a funny and fun movie. And as one user wrote, the chemistry between all the actors and kid actors really makes the movie. We could use more movies like this. Nothing inappropriate either. It is one of those movies that you come away smiling. It's a feel good movie. I imagine if more people would support these kinds of movies maybe Hollywood would make more. I do wonder if there are more people than we think who secretly enjoy a good wholesome movie. And love Steve Zahn. Eddie Murphy is so good when he keeps it clean. He seems genuinely nice and, of course, love his voice for animated characters.

Everyone in the cast really makes this movie charming.

Actually entertaining...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
5 April 2004

to my surprise. This wasn't half bad. The first time in a long time, I've found an Eddie Murphy movie to be OK. Of course, it isn't him that makes this film, but the kids. They were the ones which were funny. How can you not laugh when a little girl kicks a fat guy in the crotch for no reason with her mother by her side. Plus when all the kids are given sugar treats for lunch and are bouncing off the walls. And there are many other scenes like that one.

And Angelica Houston has a worth while cameo as the head of a stuffy, over priced day care that stoops to low stunts to try to put Daddy Day Care out of business.

FINAL VERDICT: Has some funny parts. Kids should like it, but it isn't for everyone. If you like movies that require no usage of brain cells, then you might think this one is good enough to watch.

First Class family entertainment

Author: Ben Parker (ben.cheshire@optusnet.com.au) from Australia
21 December 2003

See this with the whole family. Cute, funny, well-made tale is really an adult movie, though it was marketed as a kids movie. You really care about these characters, and desparately want everything to turn out well for them. A pleasant surprise. Best fun Eddie Murphy movie since Dr Dolittle.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]