Cars (2006) Poster

600 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
This movie is great
thejoshualee10 June 2006
But WHY is it great?

1. Visually. From the very first moments of the film, my mouth was hanging open. I mean, what the hell? Nothing looks this good. I have no idea how they made the cars look so much like real cars, and STILL make them look so much like characters. And the settings? Having grown up and traveled all over the South West United States (including more than one pilgrimage down Route 66) They captured, not only the visuals, but the atmosphere and character America's Main Street Perfectly. Frankly, if you put real actors in many of the scenes, you wouldn't realize it was computer generated… you know, if the landscape wasn't made up of old car parts.

2. Creativity. Talking animals. Every cartoon HAS to have talking animals. Only so many cartoons can be about talking animals trying to bamboozle around with humans. Thank goodness for Cars. They create an entirely believable world populated by machines, with tractor cows, and somehow they still have George Jones and Hendrix. The story IS quite predictable, but it's still quite creative. With this level of creative juice flowing in one of John's babies, I can't wait to see what he has in store for further feature animation and theme parks.

3. Characters. I have a beef with Hollywood. They have no idea what life in a small town is like. They either try and stuff their ideals and attitude into a western shirt, or else fill America's heartland with dolts, "we don't like outsiders" sheriffs, or crazed murderers. Thankfully, Pixar did their homework and featured small town folk as they really are: eclectic, eccentric, loyal, creative with their fun, friendly with visitors, and really worth while. The subtle touches, such as the lovable rivalry between the Hippie van and the Army truck, or the crazy old Model T talking to the memorial of her dead husband (very touching), gives a complex and wonderfully, realistically diverse view off small town life. The same is true with the racing world. Wilson and Newman are, of course, fantastic. It's funny how the gravel in Newman's voice fits perfectly with the rumble of his engine, likewise Wilson's distinct voice sounds just like the high-tuned growl of a race car. Every voice is so paired. Bottom line, you leave loving virtually every character in the movie.

4. Story. A little bit A Christmas Carol, a little bit The Sting. The story starts out fast and exciting, like the race it portrayed. The big second act meanders lazily from one fantastic story point to the next, just like Route 66 drives from one landmark to another. I can see why some may say it can get slow, but, as is one of the points of the story, the joy is in the ride. And again, the third act flows quickly and furiously like, well, another race.

I give it a score of 10 out of 10. I can't wait to see it again.
259 out of 305 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"It's kind of nice to slow down every once in a while."
TheMovieMark9 June 2006
"Cars didn't ride on it to make great time; they rode on it to have a great time."

It's not hard to make a successful movie. It's simple, really. Exceed my expectations. Make me feel. Force me to care. Deliver a somewhat clichéd message, but deliver it in such a way that the meaning resounds. Teach me the same lessons that your characters learn. And above all, entertain.

Pretty easy, right? Well, at least Pixar makes it look that way because with Cars they have once again succeeded.

I'll be honest; I had my doubts about the movie. How would they be able to take a story featuring nothing but vehicles, with nary a human in sight, and keep my interest for a full two hours? Animals are one thing, but could Pixar successfully master the personification of modes of transportation?

Yes, they could, and they did.

Thanks to Director Lasseter's strong attention to detail, going so far as to insist that the vehicles bend and gesture in ways that were true to their construction, every car and truck truly becomes a unique character and personality. And along with those characters and personalities comes a story which yes, contains a well-traveled theme, but it comes with so much charm that even Grouchy McKilljoy's hard little heart can't help but be warmed.

Don't worry if you're not a racing fan; I assure you it's not a requirement to enjoy the movie. I love watching muscle cars race the quarter mile (ask me about my '69 Camaro), but NASCAR doesn't do it for me. That's another aspect about the film that gave me pause. I once fell asleep at a NASCAR qualifying race, despite the 90-degree heat and ear-splitting decibel levels, so would Cars keep me awake and interested? Within five minutes my worries began to slowly subside as I happily settled in for the ride.

Animation should be about bringing imagination to life. Give us something that can't be done in live action. Cars does this so effectively that it almost seems a redundancy to comment on how Pixar continues to raise the CGI bar. The scenery on screen is awe-inducing to the point that it's getting harder to distinguish the real from the created. The filmmakers have gone so far as to perfect reflections in the cars and to pay careful attention to weeds growing out of cracks in the sidewalk. I don't see any way you could not be visually stunned.

But impressive visuals are little comfort if I'm not presented with a story that I care to follow. No problems there. If you're the kind of person who loves to go "awwwww" at movies then prepare to be satisfied. What I appreciate the most is that, at the risk of causing some youngsters to become restless, time and attention has been given to character and story development. Lasseter and his team stood their ground and resisted any pressure to trim this to a runtime more suitable to those with limited attention spans, and I thank them for it.

As I said earlier, Cars hit the starting line with a disadvantage. I didn't greet it with a warm smile. I crossed my arms, furrowed my brow, and dared it to prove my preconceived notions wrong.

It proceeded to exceed my expectations. It made me feel for its characters and forced me to care about McQueen's journey, both to California and to a different viewpoint on life. Sure, the "slow down and enjoy the scenery" message may seem a little routine, but it's a message I took to heart.

Immediately following the movie I was on the Internet looking up information regarding Route 66. I'm now ready for a road trip void of interstates and efforts to beat my best time. I feel like slowing down a bit and exploring the unknown. Give me the scenic route, and give me more finely-tuned, detailed movies like Cars. That's all I ask. Two hours of entertainment that make me care, even if briefly, about something other than myself and what goal has to be accomplished next.

See? It was simple, really. At least Pixar made it look that way.
185 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar has done it again.
Kelly24 May 2006
I had my doubts. I knew that Pixar would fail this time around. No way were they going to pull this off for a seventh time.

I was very, very wrong.

I went to see a special screening of "Cars" a few weeks ago, and this movie blew me away. The animation is gorgeous, the story brings a smile to your face, and you can't help falling in love with all of the colorful characters. It definitely has that genuine Pixar "heart" that you rarely see in any other CGI film. At first I thought the movie would be centered around a lot of NASCAR-like racing, but it really wasn't, much to my surprise (and pleasure). This movie is definite Pixar gold. I absolutely loved it.

Although I don't want to give any spoilers away, I will say that my favorite scene would have to be when Mater drags McQueen out to do a bit of "Tractor Tipping". The whole theater was filled with laughter. Heck, it even got some laughs out of me, which is rare when it comes to a kid's movie.

Be there on opening night. This is movie is worth all of your time and money.
293 out of 359 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly Moving Picture
tollini31 May 2006
I saw this film on May 31st, 2006 in Indianapolis. I am one of the judges for the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "…explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film.

The most famous streak in sports is probably Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak. The most famous hit streak in film entertainment is probably Pixar's feature film animation streak. With "Cars", it's seven in row for outstanding storytelling that is well executed and is (or will be) rewarded with blockbuster box office grosses. "Toy Story", "Toy Story 2", "Monsters, Inc.", "Finding Nemo", "The Incredibles", and "A Bug's Life" are the other six gems.

The story is about Lightning McQueen a rookie NASCAR-type racer. Of course, he is a car and not a human; or, he is a human in the form of the car. Take your pick. Either way, he is not an attractive persona. He is selfish, unappreciative, greedy, two-faced and has no real friends. But, he is a great driver and is tied for The Piston (read Winston) Cup annual championship with two other drivers. On the way to the runoff race in California, he accidentally gets off in a sleepy and forgotten town on Route 66 named Radiator Springs.

In this hillbilly hell of a town, he is punished for speeding and tearing up the road by the sheriff. As he serves his sentence with community work, he discovers the town is inhabited by rejects and misfits, who all have hearts of gold. Can they change Lightning and make him over to have positive traits like honesty, integrity, respect, honor, sacrifice, humility, and compassion? That's the drama that unfolds. Lightning is a hard case, and the outcome is always in doubt.

The cars/people are incredible. Shortly into the movie you forget that the people are cars or the cars are people, you suspend disbelief, and you just begin to watch an engaging story about real people. The windshields are their eyes, and the grilles are their mouths, and they display emotions as well as any human actor. The story is serious and light-hearted at the same time. The puns are too numerous to catch. And this is a must-see-twice-to-get-it-all movie.

FYI – There is a Truly Moving Pictures web site where there is a listing of past Truly Moving Picture Award winners that are now either at the theater or available on video.
200 out of 262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
awesome movie
solsetimo28 May 2006
I thought the story looked very lame from previews, and the concept didn't appeal to me. But when I saw an early screening I was surprised, it was well written and well executed. They didn't overload the movie with automotive jokes, which I think would have hurt the story and character development. Owen Wilson's voice is great for his role. Overall, it's on par with other Pixar films, even if it may not be their best so far. The animation is superb, definitely the best they've done. Giving something like cars distinct personality and characterization seems like it would be pretty tough, and they do a great job with it. See this movie the day it opens.
145 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice ride
badidosh8 June 2006
As usual, you've gotta hand it to Pixar.

In "Cars," their latest film, they show why they are still the cream of the crop when it comes to the field they revolutionized more than a decade ago. Well, yeah, it doesn't have the sophistication and cleverness of "The Incredibles," nor the universal appeal of both "Toy Stories" and "Finding Nemo." And I have to admit that the idea of animated cars was the least riveting as far as Pixar film premises are concerned. But as with its predecessors, beneath those excellently rendered 3D images is the soul that sets Pixar apart from what has become of most animated films nowadays.

Up-and-coming rookie race car Lightning McQueen (voiced by Owen Wilson), is about to win the prestigious Piston Cup. The championship ends with Lightning finishing in a tie with legendary "The King" (Richard Petty), who is in his final race, and Chick Hicks (Michael Keaton); thus, a tie-breaking race is set in California.

But a road mishap leads Lightning to the forgotten town of Radiator Springs, a part of what was once Route 66, a place that once basked in glory, but has since been thrust into oblivion. There he meets an array of other cars - including Doc Hudson (Paul Newman!), Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), and Sally (Bonnie Hunt) - who teach him that "life isn't about the destination but about the journey."

First of all, Pixar's animation is first-rate. It's that sort of greatness among their artists I can only geek about and dream of grasping while in my 3D animation classes. The cars have a definite realistic look, especially with the rendering (man, the reflections!). The film is also vibrantly colored, making use of a whole variety of shades of dark colors during the race, and warm ones whenever the scenes shift to Radiator Springs. Even the old, vintage car models have that chic look that brings some of the essential charm of this film. There are lots to be admired on this film just for the brilliance in animation. But among those that stand out are the race itself, and when Doc Hudson gets to bring back his good old days. Somehow, it's like watching NASCAR on IMAX again, albeit minus the über-big screen and the 3-D effect.

But what's really nice about this film is how director John Lasseter and the writers effectively tell the story and how they pump up the visual feast with humor and sincere emotions. It still all boils down to the story and how it is told - the very essence of cinema. Granted, when it comes to the standards set by previous Pixar films, it isn't quite up there with it's predecessors; but considering how lofty the bar has reached and the mediocrity that has become of the genre in general, "Cars" more than gets the job done.

As for the voice cast, Wilson brings that sort of cockiness to the protagonist of the story and it fits with his smug humor. Larry the Cable Guy gives Mater an amusingly disoriented state without being irritatingly so. You can't help but care about him and arguably, he's the nicest member of the cast. Newman lends an authoritative quality to Doc Hudson. (During the end credits, there's an in-joke about John Ratzenberger, who has his voice featured in all Pixar films thus far.) However, ultimately, the cast is somewhat unmemorable and lacking in diversity. The rest of the voice talents are also underused. Keaton's Chick Hicks is a formulaic one-dimensional villain, which could have utilized his voice more with a little more motivation for the car's part. But then again, that may be beside the movie's point.

All in all, "Cars" is a visual feast outside and an effective storytelling inside. When it comes to the basis of their appeal, it doesn't keep up with the rest of Pixar films which have sped up far ahead and this may yet be their first underachiever. But for what it is and what it achieves, it's a nice ride.
84 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming story, vivid animation, wonderful characters
greeneyedangel0827 May 2006
I went to the premier of "Cars" last night at the Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concorde and was delighted to find that the hours of traffic were worth it.

The story has a clear point and the message of friendship is easily understood by kids and adults alike. The variety of humor suits all generations, too, making this the first "summer must see" for the family.

Being an artist I was struck by the vibrancy of the animation. The colors were rich and beautiful, and there was such diverse vocal talent that the entire experience made it a treat for the crowd's eyes and ears. I've never been to a movie with more than a few hundred people in the theater, but let me assure you that all 30,000+ attendees at the Speedway last night applauded during the credits and for some very, very good reasons.
110 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar and Disney did it again!
ahuffman_200027 May 2006
Without giving away any of the story, here's my take. I attended the premiere of CARS at LMS on Friday, May 26. True to Disney form, the premiere itself was spectacular. Four giant screens, live entertainment,lots of fireworks, great inclusion of military personnel, and as good of a red carpet as you can do with chain link fenced areas... This movie rates right in the middle of Pixar releases for me. I place it above Monsters Inc, A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2, but not as good as the "original", the best ever, Toy Story, and The Incredibles. Everything just looks so real in this movie. The dust stirred up when Lightning drives off, the scenery around Route 66 (well, maybe not those mountains that look like the fins of old cars). Even the shine on the clean cars looks so real. As an adult, I enjoyed the story line. I can't tell you how the kids would like it, as by the time the movie finally started, my kids were asleep. As always, don't leave your seat until all of the credits roll. Sometimes they are some of the funniest clips in the movie! You'll love them this time, as they tie back to prior Pixar movies, in a car sort of way. This is definitely a movie we'll add to the DVD collection. I really hope this movie does well since it's the first release since Disney bought Pixar. Don't go in looking for the action or adult humor of The Incredibles. If you do you'll be disappointed. Just go in looking for the "Disney always has a good moral behind its animated movies" type of movie and you will really enjoy it. Paul Newman and Larry the Cable Guy really have the best characters in the movie. And while John Ratzenberger's character doesn't have a lot of screen time, I really enjoyed him! I'll be going back to see it when it releases in theaters so I can get a better feel for the sound, as it wasn't the best in an outdoor setting. In my opinion, it easily beats the other animated movies released over the past year or so.
95 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A different kind of Road-Movie
Flagrant-Baronessa30 October 2006
As Pixar, Blue Sky and DreamWorks continue to tick off the list of cute cuddly animals to make films about, director John Lasseter and Joe Ranft (the latter sadly and ironically died in a car crash last year) brings us a story about cars in incongruous human setting. Nine years of hard work in combining Lasseter's two great interests, cars and animation, finally gives us a satisfying end product but regrettably 'Cars' is just that. Satisfactory and utterly charmless.

The story, for one, is one of the most predictable riffs I have ever seen in an animated feature. It zooms in on an exhilarating, high-profile race for the prestigious 'Piston Cup' and the third lap offers a sense of impending doom. It is Lightning McQueen – rookie at the top of his game, and voiced by the energetic Owen Wilson – that races in pursuit of prestige... so much that he alienates everyone around him, even his pit crew. The race becomes a three-way tie between him and his competitors and now the final showdown will be held in Los Angeles in one week. It is on the way to L.A. that 'Cars' really starts up its engine, specifically when McQueen takes a detour across the desert-laden terrain by route 66 and gets caught for speeding by the local sheriff. He is sentenced to community service in the seedy little nowhere-town and, predictably, here the arrogant McQueen learns the true meaning of friends.

For a movie about fast-paced vehicles, 'Cars' starts slowly and keeps in this lane for far too long. One hour into the film, Lightning still has not learned the mandatory 'morals & message' lesson that you know Disney is just waiting to dish out with a wagging finger. Undoubtedtly its fatal flaw is its length: there is absolutely no need to stretch a Disney comedy across two hours. This problem escalates as the extremely safe and passive approach to humour makes its mark; soon it is clear that the film is not going to tip over into goofball or absurdist humour but remains sedated and expects us to find the mere facial expressions of the cars hilarious – and they are not, because cars are too clunky and mechanical to effectively emote.

Yet it needs to be said for all its comedic shortcomings, 'Cars' remains afloat simply because it makes no pretense about being a Disney/Pixar film of a different calibre. It is obvious that it caters more to the younger audience than, say, the heavyweights Shrek, Nemo or Ice Age that are all about adult references. Only once or twice does the film sneak in a subtle racy element such as the bitch-tag at the back of the female Porsche's rear or the 'organic fuel' that the hippie-van uses. On that note, "hillbilly hell", as McQueen bitterly spits, is beautifully crafted in terms of animation. The CGI environment is crisp, fluent, lean and simply superb in capturing the well-oiled sleek machines of superstardom juxtaposed with the rusty hicky complexity of the hillbilly town. 'Cars' is possibly Pixar's greatest feat in animation, but its weakest jab at story and entertainment.

Although Paul Newman brings perfect charisma to his bitter-and-doomed-but-good-old-mentor character, none of the other cars shine. Indeed, there is a frightening lack of funny sidekicks with assigned quirks and the closest Cars gets to this is its shy firewagon truck Red. This wide-ranging mediocrity also applies to the soundtrack which is noticeably sub-par and unimaginative: either cheesy mellow 'mood' music or Sheryl Crow pop. Where's the oomph in the engine of 'Cars'? Step up, Disney, because you cannot ride on the success of Finding Nemo forever.

5 out of 10
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not a classic, but I still like it...
when Pixar announced their idea for "Cars" (a world exactly like our own but inhabited by living cars instead of humans), I thought that the film was going to be an instant failure. Then, as the images of the new graphics and the plot outlines started to came out I was still unimpressed by them, seeing at how unoriginal the plot was and how everything seemed to be aiming for showing off their technical progress, my hopes for "Cars" were really low. I guess that's why I ended up liking it so much.

"Cars" is the story of a cocky, arrogant and very ambitious young racer named Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) who has become the new sensation in the racing circuit. During the trip towards the final race of the circuit (a race that would give him the Cup if he wins), he gets lost and accidentally ends up in a small forgotten town on Route 66 named "Radiator Springs". Without knowing how to return to the Highway and forced to repair the damage caused by his arrival, McQueen will discover the simple way of life of this quiet town and its inhabitants.

Visually, the film is perfect; the computer animation has reached a point where it seems that the only limit is to create a human being, and I bet that Pixar is not too far from it. Light effects, water effects, reflection, chrome and other phenomena are represented with great detail surpassing everything Pixar had done before. However, this tale of a young and ambitious car living in the fast urban world and his clash with the simple and slower life of rural U.S. is nothing really new or original, and this is where the directors/writers John Lasseter and the late Joe Ranft make a difference.

"Cars" is a new version of a familiar old story. Sure, it is by no means an original story and it is very predictable, but the details added by the writers are what makes the film different. The lovable and different characters give soul to the apparently lifeless "Cars", and they make the difference in what otherwise would be a dull boring and predictable film. every character has been carefully detailed, not only visually, but also in their personalities, antics and voices. This care in the characterization department is what made "Toy Story" or Fox's "Ice Age" different among other animated films.

The voice actors are very good, and it is noticeable the care taken in assembling the cast. Owen Wilson makes a very good McQueen, making him an arrogant, ambitious city boy; Paul Newman brings his experience and makes a wonderful Doc Hudson, Radiator Springs' mayor. Bonnie Hunt and Larry the Cable guy complete the cast and all of them are equally competent in their jobs. Their performances give the final touch to the film.

As written above, the film has only one big detail that may turn off some viewers. Its plot is nothing really new or unseen, and it could be said that it is one of their least funny scripts. Sure, it touches an important subject, but a few more laughs could had helped the final product. However, credit must go to the writers, who have crafted a movie that will keep the kids interested even when it is not a laugh riot.

"Cars" may not be have a multi-awarded script or even an original plot, but it has a lot of heart, and it shows how much Lasseter and Ranft cared for the story. Despite its troubles, it is a fine film to take the children. If you keep the expectations low and relax a bit it will be a nice ride.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another "must see" movie from Pixar
robchur31 May 2006
I was able to attend a premiere showing of this movie in North Carolina and was amazed again at how much more a movie can be than just "animation." This film focuses on a changed reality, a world where cars are the only life form and so we must suspend our own reality to enjoy this film. In the same flavor as the first Pixar films, we quickly accept a world where everything is a motorized vehicle that lives and acts like we do in our own world. The cars have experiences in life, desires that drive (sorry for that) them, and misunderstandings that are taken advantage of.

My wife and I loved this movie and plan to see it again when it is in public release. I cherished all the nuances of the film and the attention to detail not seen in animations from other companies.

For fans of all ages, this film is for you.
98 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
well done
geauxgirllafayette27 May 2006
Caught the world premiere at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte-- we're not race fans ourselves by any means, but you really don't have to be to get on the road with this one. We were privvy to a couple inside jokes, living amongst the racing atmosphere that IS Charlotte, but even if we hadn't gotten that extra little chuckle, there's definitely plenty to find. Not just for kids. Kids will like the cute characters, and bright colors, adults will like it simply because it's just plain entertaining without having to dumb down to appeal to kids. You'll find yourself wanting to find the next twisty backroad to get to your next destination. Watch for all kids of cameo's, and it's too bad IMDb doesn't include a picture of the animated character as well-- it's not always easy to remember what the names are once you get home. Owen's good, Newman is classic, if a little flat (I applaud him for just plain staying active and leaving his house!), but it's really Larry the Cable Guy's movie-- newfound appreciation for that one-- and "tow-mater" is a multi-layered pun. Not only on the fact that he's a tow truck, but also his "they call me tater salad" bit-- Overall, highly entertaining, just try not to speed too much on the way home....
74 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What's So Bad About It?
Thomas Stansfield23 June 2013
People do have their own opinions but there is one thing I came across with, why do some people don't like this movie? I've seen when it came out in 2006 and loved it and I think its better then its sequel, in my opinion. Is because of the world of talking cars? Disney has created many films were animals talk, look at the Mickey Mouse cartoons, there is no people in there world, minus the ones during the early years of Disney.

The story can be clichéd, a big city race car driver goes to a small town, caused a ruck, hates the small town, get to know them and realises he was a jerk and so on and so forth. To me I like this movie. It has some nice atmosphere with the small town and the American dessert of the well- known route 66 with the animation and I do like the world of cars. The story is good too and even though its not in the bar of such great films like the Toy Story series and Monsters Inc. from Pixar, it's good recommendable movie for your kids.
Pixar does it again
av663728 June 2006
Pixar just keeps hitting them out of the park. Larry the cable guy was a great cast as Mater. Owen Wilson as Lightining was another great decision for the makers of Cars. There is never a dull moment while watching this film. I guess that is obvious by the overwhelming success at the box office. Working at a movie theater I get to see the reactions of our patrons after seeing each film we show; Cars is a must see this summer. There are very few genuine family movies released now a days, this is a clean movie that families can come together and enjoy without worrying about having to screen the film before bringing the kids. I recommend everyone go see this film and then go see it again.
worth watching
frankselden28 June 2006
Animated films are not my favorite genre and I am not a Nascar fan. I anticipated that I would reflect on the 2 hours in a movie theater as quality family time rather than quality entertainment but this movie had me hooked from the beginning. My kids did not have my background to understand Route 66 history but they didn't need it. The loved the film for other reasons. I lived in small towns where a day is fueled with hope of what might come over the horizon. I have actually been cow tipping and laughed at the tractor scenes. I really appreciate the part of the theme of a successful member of a younger generation listening to and profiting by the wisdom of someone older. Far too many children's shows revolve around a plot with stupid adults and the youth needing to save the world. This film perhaps restored, for me, a little faith in our entertainment industry. This is one movie the whole family really can enjoy. See this movie if for no other reason than to support the production of this type of message.
best Pixar movie since Toy Story
bosscain10 June 2006
upon entering the theater I wasn't expecting anything wow and big from pixar since the last few movies they made really didn't hit it off with me. But I Love "Cars"!! its the best movie that pixar has created in a long long time. Not since the early days of "Toy Story" have I enjoyed a Pixar movie so much that I wanted to write a comment about it. This movie is fantastic! It has everything you could ever want in a movie plus a whole lot more. The team over at Pixar really went over and beyond with this movie and all that hard work really shows.although the gags references and storyline are more for the adults than the kids, I still would recommend this movie to absolutely everybody. 10++++
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar keep the good line
Rectangular_businessman14 January 2007
I found this movie to be enjoyable enough: Even when it is true that it wasn't at the same level than some of previous Pixar films (Such as "Toy Story" and "The Incredibles") it was a good film anyway, with an entertaining story and likable characters.

Despite the strangeness of the premise of a world inhabited by living cars, the execution is fairly convincing, with a neat character development and many funny and heartwarming moments.

Without being perfect, it managed to be something totally worth-watching from beginning to end, and in many ways this could be easily considered one of the best animated films from the year 2006 (Which was a terrible year, in my opinion)

7.5/10
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Early Screening - Mostly Spoiler free
matt2k2517 May 2006
I just got home from an early screening of Cars. I got to see it in a digital cinema, and it really brought out the beauty of this Pixar gem. It seems that with every Pixar movie they aim to tackle a new piece of animation. With Nemo it was water, Monsters Inc. was fur. Cars has some amazing effects as far as the lighting and reflections. The cars in the movie feel very real, because of the fantastic lighting work. Also, it seems there are a lot more landscape scenes which are done very, very nicely.

Now, about the movie itself ... this one definitely lives up to the Pixar name. I wasn't as excited about this movie as I was with some other Pixar productions, but I should have been. This movie is a full two hours long, which is quite long for a movie of it's type. It really doesn't feel that long though, as nothing is really drawn out past its due. There are a few story lines that progress nicely as the film drives on.

The movie is somewhat predictable (when isn't a family movie predictable). However, even though the story has been done before, it's rarely to the quality that Pixar does it. The movie somewhat caters to the "redneck", racing fan crowd, but I still loved it, and I am not a redneck (last time I checked).

This is the only spoiler I had to give away. It's not huge, I just want to make sure that people stay for the credits to watch the characters go to the movies and watch "Toy Car Story", "Monster Cars", and "A Bug's Life" (as in a VW Bug's life). It's a really funny bit.
29 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Can't Say Enough Good Things About This Animated Gem
ccthemovieman-124 January 2007
Wow, this was fantastic! As I was watching it, I asked myself, "Is this the best animated movie I've ever seen?' I think the answer is "yes."

After watching "The Polar Express" last year and seeing the most beautiful visuals and fabulous sound, I thought it might be awhile before anything topped that, but this movie beats it. That's because it's equally beautiful, color-wise, and more entertaining because of the excellent humor. The humor isn't just a bunch of funny lines; it's also funny sights on screen from the cars' "faces" to a lot of clever material in the background. There is so much to see that multiple viewings, I'm sure, would catch new things each time.

For me, watching an animated film for two hours is usually asking way too much but not with this film. It's so much fun to see and there are no boring lulls, yet the action after the first 10 minutes is light. The characters are varied and the kind you care about, or want to find out more about, all of which translates into scenes which continually keep your interest.

At times, the colors in here astounded me, especially with the nighttime scenes. The sound also is excellent, especially in the opening and closing race scenes. With surround speakers, it's almost like being at the track.

The message is a nice one, too, and not delivered in any heavy-handed manner, either. Having a team to work with, people to be there to help and be helped, is better than going alone in life. Thy didn't beat us to death with it, but that is the unmistakable message in this story.

I can't say enough about this film. It's really good stuff for anyone of any age. I was extremely impressed. Oh, and as a final note: don't turn this off when it's over; stay with the ending credits because there are some really funny comments, mostly by John Ratzenberger .
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Couldn't even finish it.
budandlou2584 December 2008
Maybe I'm biased. Fans of films will tell me that in order to produce a well-rounded review, I need to at least finish the film I'm reviewing.

That's the problem. "Cars" couldn't hold me longer than twenty minutes.

With every other Pixar movie (and I've seen and loved them all), I was hooked within the first ten minutes. I was swept away by the story's concept, its characters, the amazing visuals, the fantastic music. I'm a huge fan of Pixar, Andrew Stanton in particular (You remember him, don't you? He's the screenwriter/director responsible for such films as "Toy Story," "Monsters, Inc.," "Finding Nemo," and "Wall-E."). Past experience has taught me that in the realm of film-making, there's little they can't do. So when I first saw the trailer for "Cars," I thought something along these lines:

"Well, it's Pixar, so maybe it'll be okay..."

But when I sat down to watch this little "gem," as I've seen it called, I suddenly wondered if all the clocks in the house were broken. I felt no connection with any of the characters; the story's premise was lost on me. I could barely make it to Larry The Cable Guy's entrance before I got off the couch and went elsewhere to stop the agony.

Maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe I don't get this movie because I'm not part of the NASCAR revolution. Maybe it's because Andrew Stanton didn't have any part in this movie other than providing a voice. Maybe I have a problem connecting with automobiles, or maybe it bugged me that there are all these cars, and no drivers behind the wheel. Or maybe I just don't like Larry the Cable Guy. My point is, this movie clearly is not for everyone.
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why is everyone so amazed?
deepblue227 January 2009
I honestly don't get, why there are so many positive comments on this movie. As you can expect from a "pixar" movie, the animation quality is really awesome. But in my opinion, that's about it. The story is really boring and the comical scenes are just mediocre as well. Has anyone noticed that, besides the fact that the story doesn't surprise the viewer even once, it's pretty much the same as in "surf's up"? A young talented guy enters a challenge, meets his old hero (who has stopped doing what he was once the best at, for a tragic reason), doesn't recognize him at first, then gets him to give some advice, and finally is the winner of the hearts, although not actually winning the challenge. And while doing all that, he wins a girl over, that didn't like him before, and gets his hero to appear before the public again.

Since that plot wasn't even new when used in "Surf's up" I won't call it "theft", but rather ripping off the standards. Therefore I can only recommend this movie for children who aren't fed up with this stuff.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Over rated
lao_pee11 February 2007
Yeah the graphics are great, but that is all because of the computer animation techniques today (consider how much money they keep putting into these CG's). The story line is old style and dragging, one can easily predict what will happen. I think this movie is overrated, maybe because of all the car-lovers in the U.S. The plot is just OK, the effort to portrait characters (both the main and supporting ones) is weak. Anyway, worth to go with kids to see all the colors and spend some family time. But if you are looking for something exciting, youmight be disappointed.

Pix is very good in visually making the wildest imagination come true, but to make a good movie, they will need some creativity in the story telling.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Animated Version of Doc Hollywood
SilverLexiGirl1 July 2014
The plot of this movie is a lot like Doc Hollywood starring Michael J. Fox. A "Big City" hotshot on his way to LA finds himself stuck in a small hick town and endures a miserable week of volunteer work all the while falling in love with the town's comfortable feeling and quirky but genuine inhabitants. How can anyone not love this film? From the hilarious and laid back Owen Wilson to the gritty and serious Paul Newman, this film is full of strong characters including the smaller roles (Michael Keaton!). It's funny, charming and heartfelt and full of great tunes as well. Just the opening sequence alone will have you tapping your feet to Sheryl Crow and the end may bring tears when you hear Brad Paisley. My husband and i are in our 30s and we adore this film. Always crack up when I hear the line "Im in Hillbilly Hell! My IQ is dropping by the second!"
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny, Cute, Touching..need I say more???
HollywoodVixen907 April 2012
When I first heard about "Cars" I wasn't too anxious to see it because I'm not a Nascar fan at all, and I thought the movie was just going to be all about car racing.

Boy was I wrong. I saw this movie a couple of years after it was released. I LOVE this movie. This movie has a great story, great, funny, characters, and the animation is pretty darn good. I sometimes felt that the animation almost looked lifelike. This movie has a lot of heart to it. It will make you laugh and it will also make you realize what's really important in life.

Like I said, the characters in this movie are great. I loved them all.I really liked "Mater" though, he was really funny. Of course I loved "Lightning McQueen","Doc", and "Sally", and all the other characters as well.

I loved that they chose Paul Newman to be the voice of "Doc". I love Paul Newman, he's one of my favorite actors.

I recommend that everyone watch this movie. I LOVED it, and I am 21 and do not have children either but I am a huge Disney fan. Trust me, you don't have to be a kid to love this movie. I am proud to say that I own this movie in my DVD collection.
Disney and Pixar - take a bow
Rosser9423 March 2012
I am incredibly reluctant to score a film perfectly as there is always something, big or small, that bugs me in any cinematic experience. However, this was NOT the case in "Cars".

Prior to viewing, I expected a below-standard Pixar production that was good but not great, however I could not have been more wrong.

I'll begin with the visual and audio utilisation - the animation is (as you'd expect from Pixar), tremendous on every level - wonderful scenery and character models ensure this is an aesthetic treat. In terms of audio, sound effects are great and the soundtrack is beyond fantastic.

Characters (an important aspect of any family film), are found in positive abundance here. Stereotypes are present but not overused, every character is easy to relate to (despite the fact that they are cars), and the emotions of every character are truly emphasised; nobody in "Cars" is anything short of vivid.

The plot itself is perfectly paced; the story-telling is easy to follow, yet allows room for twists, turns and speculation to a perfectly adequate degree. In addition to this, the script is brilliant; there is plenty of humour to accompany some equally emotional outbursts. The way in which Disney and Pixar make us feel empathy for animated vehicles is intelligent and a fine achievement.

Overall, this is one of my favourite films of all time, and it is, in my view, able to compete with any other piece of cinema, from "Casablanca" to "Shrek"; the magic of Disney, alongside the high production values of Pixar, in accordance with the sheer brilliance of this movie, ensures that it is a must-see for anybody. "Cars" is a true masterpiece.