IMDb > The Sensible Thing (1996) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Sensible Thing (TV) More at IMDbPro »

I really enjoyed it

Author: emmeline01 from United States
31 August 2006

I don't really know why this story touched me but it did. I suppose it has something to do with how the story was described. It's about that one great love that you have. Things may or may not work out. If they do work out you know that the love you feel at first will never last so even though you two may be together there's a sadness.

If you like British or costume drama you'll love this story. I found the characters very compelling. There is a good article about how the story was made on the PBS website. I found it all very interesting. If you long for the days when women were courted in their living rooms then this movie/story is for you.

Don't Bother

Author: fubared1 from Boston, Ma
9 September 2005

This is an excruciatingly dull, lifeless adaptation of what certainly must have been a much better short story. The acting is particularly poor, so one is not surprised that the lead actors remain total unknowns. I find it difficult to believe that they couldn't have found a more interesting, less 'gay' leading man. Believe me, this one is as obvious as Richard Simmons, and totally unbelievable in the role. The leading lady is only marginally better, but is certainly no 'Zelda'. A real disappointment considering this is PBS, but then some of the other short story adaptations I've seen have been equally disappointing. Text Text Text Text