IMDb > Anne B. Real (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Anne B. Real More at IMDbPro »

Amateurish

Author: mandyprotakov from United States
13 January 2005

It would be nice if someone were to tell all those budding filmmakers that all it takes to make a film is to assemble a few amateur actors and a video camera.

This film looked like a home video! It was so poorly shot it gave me a headache and almost made me sea-sick.

As to the story, it was annoying as with the majority of those movie that try to appear "real" but only come across as being caricatural. It should be called Anne B. Unreal.

In my video store, the copies were up for sale right away because nobody wanted to watch it. What a surprise! Do yourselves a favor and pass on Anne B. Real

Awful

Author: lilliansimone from United States
21 June 2005

Take a bunch of amateur wanna-be actors and shoots them with Dad's camcorder.

Take the resulting "brilliant" footage and slap it together on the home computer and you get Anne B. Real.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people getting experience by making a feature-length project

I do have a problem, however, with hyping it as if it were a real movie when in fact it is a painful-to-watch home video that you would only sit still for if it were made by your family.

In other words, avoid at all costs.

Black, ghetto, tough, gangsta. Give it up

Author: momohund from United States
6 May 2007

At some point black artists and producers must understand that the image of the struggling black person in the ghetto trying to be a rapper or trying to get out of the ghetto because they are in a gang is so over done in America these days that there is no more room for another black exploitation film. The two worst movies of all time right now at IMDb both deal with this black/gangsta/rapper/basketball/hoodlum/fu ck the man attitude. This image fails for several reasons:

1) Filmmakers have already beat this to death. The best of these films like Boyz in the Hood, Do the Right Thing, Sweet Sweetback, Cooley High, even Breakin are now almost 20-40 years old. the ghetto is boring, old news, as contemporary as Tin Pan Alley.

2) Regardless of what most people think, white people are not turned off to the image of a story about a black person in the ghetto. the truth is most people,including many black people, are tired of the image of the hoodlum playing basketball, rapping, being in a gang, and being inner city. this is because civil rights was very successful and now people, black and white, see a large black middle class. so they know this doesn't really represent many black Americans anymore. when a movie ad comes across the TV screen advertising the new hip black movie about life in the streets, most people sigh and flip the channel. no originality, done before a million times over, not really even representative of many black people.

3) being a rapper in a gang and being from the streets doesn't carry the weight it did 20-30 years ago. now many people want to be from a safe, normal neighborhood. Black society has seen enough of crack epidemics and collapsing neighborhoods to want to celebrate gangsterism. the tide is turning against the black hoodlum image. Inner cities are being renovated and gentrified. black society is stabilizing.

Simply put, we as Americans have had enough of the black rapping ghetto. It's just not original anymore. Rap is becoming classic rock. Please come up with a new and original storyline like what black people are doing in suburbia and how they mingle with other ethnicities there. this hasn't been done yet, although it is now a huge part of the American lifestyle.

Not 100% bad, but also not particularly engaging.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
5 February 2010

I think that this film being on IMDb's Bottom 100 list of the lowest rated films of all time is a bit sad. Sure, it's NOT a good movie but it's not quite that bad. I might put it in the Bottom 500 if they had such a list.

This is a story about a teenage girl who loves to write rap songs and sulk. Her family situation is pretty bad--with a drug abusing brother (who she lets walk all over her) and a sister with a baby. There's more to the story than this, but frankly I didn't care much for any of the characters and had a hard time caring when a particular teacher of the girl tried hard to encourage her to go to college and pursue her dreams.

The biggest single problem about the movie is that the characters are unappealing. While you are supposed to care about Cynthia, her semi-catatonic character was not particularly endearing. In addition, no one around her was particularly interesting. While a few story elements were good (such as the theft of her music), you just didn't care. It also didn't help that the film was so slow-paced and the characters behaved rather stupidly.

The second problem is that there is a tie-in between this character and Anne Frank--a completely ridiculous thing to say the least! Anne frequently reads the writings of Frank and it almost seems, at times, that the film makers are trying to almost make a sort of moral or situational equivalence between the two! Offensive, yes. Dumb, oh yes.

Perhaps this film might mean more to some others--particularly inner city teens (in particular Hispanics and lovers of hip-hop). But for this 45 year-old White guy, there wasn't much appeal. Actually, while I think about it, my 19 year-old also disliked the film...as did all those who rated it so poorly. Wow...perhaps this film ISN'T for much of anybody.

By the way, the film seems to have a lot of very, very poor reviews as well as some that give it a ten. While perhaps the ones were a bit too low, the tens would imply that this is a perfect or near perfect film--which it clearly is not. While I could understand someone liking the film, the characters needed work and the film lacked focus at times.

How did this even make the list?

Author: jesus_cat from United States
21 May 2007

I don't think this movie deserves to be the worst movie of all time. Because of its awful directing, poor composition and lack of budget (along with lack of known directors and actors) it shouldn't even be listed. If my dad gave me a camcorder for Christmas when I was 12, does that mean that anything I make can be listed on IMDb.com? Exactly, so neither should this movie.

What happened to really BAD movies making first? Baby Geniuses 2 and Manos: the Hands of Fate have been pushed back for this crap, and I have yet to see SpiceWorld even coming close to touching this. I'm disappointed.

It's a good movie..don't listen to everybody

Author: Arenas4812 from United States
5 December 2014

This is a pretty good movie. I borrowed this from my Aunt, and I wound up really liking it. I was skeptical at first, but I was drawn into the story line. I thought the story was really touching, and I liked that it was something different at the time. I definitely think being a teen and a minority it was appealing only to a certain demographic. As a former writer familiar with the publishing industry, I think the script read very strong, but it didn't come across that way compared to watching it on the screen. This propably worked a lot better for book or teaching segment in a college course. Overall, I thought this was an underrated movie. It's defiantly not among the worst. This good for an evening night when you need something to watch.

Well done

Author: vchimpanzee
27 July 2010

First of all, I should mention I'm 49 years old and white and don't care for rap music.

But this appeared to be a quality production, with important lessons, positive messages, good writing and good acting. Just don't get too attached to anyone because in this neighborhood, you can't be sure anyone will survive to the end.

Cynthia's father was a dedicated teacher at an aging New York City high school in a bad section of the city. When she was young, he gave her Anne Frank's famous diary to read.

Now Cynthia is a student at that high school. Her father is deceased and her family is on welfare. They include Cynthia, her mother, her grandmother, her brother Juan, her sister Janet, and Janet's baby. Cynthia's mother is Latina and doesn't look black. I'm not clear on her father's racial background but he had a Spanish-sounding name. Anyway, Cynthia looks black and thinks of herself as black.

Several teachers at the school, particularly Michael, believe that at least some of these kids can be reached, despite what the neighborhood is like. Cynthia is one of them, though she has had difficulty since her father's death. But reading about Anne Frank has inspired her and she now writes rap lyrics inspired by Anne. As "Anne B. Real", she raps in front of a mirror. In the same mirror she imagines people she knows criticizing her.

Meanwhile, Juan supposedly has had a job, but the only way he seems to make money is by selling lyrics to up-and-coming rapper Deuce. Deuce wants to impress those who can make him a star, so he claims the lyrics are his own. Of course, so does Juan--who, by the way, uses too much of his money to buy drugs, and gets into situations that could put him behind bars.

Cynthia's friends include Kitty, who looks very white but is more street in her speech than most of the movie's characters. She could be considered comic relief. There is also Jerome, who has been on his own since age 12, and he has to get by delivering drugs. Darius is a very European-looking Latino who seems to want a romantic relationship with Cynthia.

Deuce has a girlfriend who is quite pretty and thinks she is "all that". I didn't catch her name but she adds a lot.

The stories of Deuce and Cynthia are interesting, and both characters have a lot of determination, but Cynthia is the strongest character here. She needs to be strong, too, because she will be put through a lot (so will the audience), and JNyce is quite effective.

But despite this movie taking me out of my comfort zone, I think it was a worthwhile experience.

What an inspirational film!

Author: tenfe1
18 November 2003

I could not get this movie out of my head. It's message is so beautiful, and so universal. The tie in with Anne Frank is so original and so great.

My 12 year old now wants me to buy her the Diary of Anne Frank. I am so impressed with this effort on the part of first time director Lisa France.

Well composed

Author: urtodtr from United States
13 September 2005

I was impressed by the maturity of this film. The interlacing of The Diary of Anne Frank with the life of a modern young woman infused this piece with an element of timelessness. I have a hard time listening to rap not because of the lyrics, but because of the bass… this story has encouraged me to seek out written versions of rap, and take the opportunity to enjoy the poetry of this unique and compelling genre.

I was most pleased with the realism of the story line and ending. There was no false-fairytale-Hollywood ending, but rather an engaging and surprisingly inspiring conclusion to a tale that could take place anywhere around the world today. I hope that this film offers some hope to other young people in similar situations. We truly are responsible for our own upbringing.

I loved this film!

Author: plkldf from Baltimore MD USA
10 May 2003

I saw Anne B. Real at the Maryland Film Festival. It is great!

The lead actress (credited on screen as JNYCE and credited on IMDB as Ja Nice) Richardson is fantastic as Cynthia, going to high school in greater NYC, who dreams of a career as a hip hop artist, but who is surrounded by people who want to use her, or who tell her she won't amount to anything. She is fantastic. At the Festival, the director, Lisa France, told us that the young woman was an R&B performer, not a hip hop artist, and was not an experienced actor. The producer, who was there at the Q&A, credited Lisa France's direction as contributing to the excellent acting job by JNYCE.

Jackie Quinones plays her friend Kitty. She is a hoot! From the first time she comes on screen you know this is going to be a fun movie because she's in it -- very loud and brassy and New York, funny and appealing. Every filmmaker, I think, hopes for a scene-stealer like this in his/her movie. What a find! What a great job! Many of her lines are improvised, since they re-wrote the script to give her more screen time, and they didn't have dialogue ready.

Most of the audience at MFF was grown-ups, and the prevailing idea during the Q&A was that this was a great message movie for kids, especially teen-age girls (I have one, 16). I bought the DVD, and raved about the film when I got home. My daughter watched it and I'm happy to say she loved it. It's not a given that something that adults think is good for kids is something the kid herself will enjoy, but mine likes the film a lot. She's coming with me to see it again at a thank-you screening for MFF volunteers.

Interestingly shot, excellent performances from a mixture of brand new actors and veterans, well-written and exciting! A great film for adults, and a great film for teen-agers of any color from any part of the world.