IMDb > Dallas 362 (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dallas 362

Dallas 362 More at IMDbPro »

A fine first film with nice performances

Author: Bruce Coughran from Santa Monica, CA
22 September 2003

In Scott Caan's first feature, Dallas 362, you can see the same thing as was seen in his first play ('Almost Love'), the raw elements of a budding talent. Caan, son of actor James Caan, wrote and directed the deceptively simple buddy movie and in which he also stars along with Shawn Hatosy, Jeff Goldblum, and Kelly Lynch. The film, shot on a low budget on Locations in LA, manages to create a world of its own, and one in which you finally care about these flawed characters, and without falling into any of a number of possible clichés of this kind of filmmaking.

The film follows two close friends, Rusty (played by Hatosy) and Dallas (Caan), who call themselves `brothers' and are constantly becoming involved in bar fights, repeatedly being bailed out of jail by Rusty's mother, played by Kelly Lynch. Rusty wants to grow up but can't seem to break out of this pattern. Goldblum plays the mother's boyfriend who is a therapist and begins seeing Rusty as a favor to his mother. The obvious complications of this triangle come out early and are resolved in a very honest and truthful manner, and Goldblum gives a surprisingly fresh and satisfying performance.

The relationship of the friends is obvious from the beginning, and the fact that you see the problems coming makes them no less compelling. In fact, Caan has succeeded in something that is really quite difficult. As Dallas begins to dabble in ideas of larger crimes, we see coming the time when guns will come out (and they do), but even as it all happens he manages to keep the focus on the characters and not on the action. We care about what will happen to these flawed characters. This is a real strength of this film.

In fact, all of the performances are good here (including a nice turn by Val Lauren). And the film has the great virtue that it is evenly paced and not overly long. Caan manages the tricky task of working on both sides of the camera well, although this is definitely more a movie of characters and performances rather than a cinematic vision. The photography is effective for the story and shows some of the budget constraints, but it also does not call attention to itself. Undoubtedly Caan will develop as a director over time, but this is a very respectable first effort.

Very Good First Effort

Author: dslacker (dslacker@tularosa.net) from New Mexico
19 June 2003

Saw the premiere of this film at the CineVegas Film Festival. It was written, directed, and co-stars Scott Caan. Its the stylishly shot, very well written story of two friends in their mid-20's who are aimlessly drinking and bar brawling their time away. One of them, Rusty (Shawn Hatosy) is beginning to recognise the futility of their lifestyle while Dallas (Caan's character) seems to be headed only deeper into trouble. Rusty has support from his mother (played by Kelly Lynch) and a therapist (well done by Jeff Goldblum). Mom and the therapist are romantically involved adding a funny and bizarre twist to the story. No spoilers here - this is all revealed in the first reel. This film stands out because of the writing and the acting. Caan's semi-autobiographical screenplay is laced with lines that made the audience laugh out loud - dialogue original enough that it seems to come from real life, not a Hollywood script factory. There are a few scenes intended to 'reveal' character that drag a bit. The fine cast is capable of doing with less, not more writing. Caan told the screening audience that he wrote the movie in about a month - yet it seems to be one of those first screenplays that was years in the making. Either way, it led to a film that's far better than 90% of the stuff now showing at your local mutiplex. It deserves to be picked up for theatrical distribution followed by a long run on one of the premium movies channels. Please, Hollywood: More of this and less of 2 Fast 2 Dumberer.

Really worth your time

Author: apier911 from NYC
22 September 2003

I had the pleasure to see this film at the Toronto Film festival and this was defiantly one of the better screening. I'm not going to give away any of the plot cause you should go see it yourself (if it ever gets picked up). Scott Cann was there to promote the film as was Val Lauren. Although the plot isn't brand new, it's the dialogue and the characters that carry this film. Early on the film establishes the story and really let the actors become their character. Jeff Goldblum's character was my favorite (nice to see him in a non-creepy role) he seems somewhat normal in this film. The dialogue between the two main characters are gut bustlingly funny at times and heart breaking during others.

Scott admitted to the audience after screening that he might not get a US distribution, which is a real shame. Hollywood in the past 15 years of so have rarely put out a film that challenge the mind and makes the audience appreciate the art of film. This film definitely brings some of that art back. It's not perfect (The plot does drag a bit towards the middle) but it's worth the time to see the performance and writing by Scott Cann

A plot, with a real ending

Author: pdopd from United States
16 April 2006

Transitioning from youth to adulthood, and finding ones self isn't always easy. The genius to keeping my attention in Dallas was gently nudging me through my past by watching someone else through tough times. The movie plays well on the decisions to be made in regards to cultural clashes; city vs.country, divorce and re-marriage, throw in the temptation of drugs,lawlessness honesty and making good impressions.

My interest in Dallas stayed at a high level throughout, thanks to the timing with cinematic flashes and real life situations being addressed honestly .

Good First Try, but...

Author: mambo771975 from santa barbara, CA
18 September 2005

...not quite the film that it aspires to be.

First of all, the cast is impressive, but too often they are underfed by the drawn-out story.

The performances are all solid, and Caan succeeds in getting you to be invested in caring about the characters.

However, the story is too thin and the attempts at humor really don't land. The previous poster is correct in that the second half of the film drags, and nothing that happens to the characters will come as a surprise to anyone.

There are clear elements in the story which will remind you of "Good Will Hunting" and "The Slaughter Rule", but the characters and actors all carve out their individual idnetities.

I was a bit surprised by the DVD interviews with the cast where they all talked about what a great script it was and how excited they were to do it.

The greatness that these established actors refer to doesn't show up in the final cut.

Having said that, I have to admire Scott Caan's ambition and belief in his work, which is quite evident. But to write, direct and act in your first film is an enormous undertaking and one that very few people outside of Woody Allen could expect to pull off. Yet, "Dallas 362" has strong elements of Caan's directorial talent on display, which I'm sure that he will continue to develop and expand upon.

The fighting buddies

Author: jotix100 from New York
19 March 2006

Scott Caan's directorial debut gives us a film that surprises because of the talent he shows and the intelligence it projects. Mr. Caan shows a strong resemblance to his father and he surely makes him proud in his first job behind the camera. This young actor, turned director, seems to be on the right path for bigger and better things.

Mr. Caan was able to attract an interesting cast that obviously loved this project as their performances clearly demonstrate on the screen. Shawn Hatosy, who plays Rusty, is an intense young actor who doesn't repeat himself in any of the films in which he plays. In fact, his inter action with Mr. Caan's Dallas, pays off in a good way. The two of them make an excellent combination.

Others in the cast include a wonderful Jeff Goldblum, as the therapist who is seeing Rusty's mother. Kelly Lynch makes another good appearance. Bob Gunton, Selma Blair, and the rest of the supporting cast do wonders under Mr. Caan's direction.

We look forward to a long career for Scott Caan. He deserves it.

Originality is always refreshing

Author: itssosublime from United States
20 May 2007

If you're expecting a masterpiece in cinema you might be disappointed with Dallas 362. This film doesn't dazzle you with witty one-liners or gratuitous sexual or violent content, it simply tells a story by utilizing a solid script and the tremendous talent of it's cast. Caan and Hatosy are fantastic as a pair of "us against the world" buddies who drink too much, fight too much and aren't quite sure where life is taking them. Even more impressive however is the performance by Val Lauren. His immense talent as a stage actor really comes through in his portrayal of Christian, an overly-neurotic problem gambler who thinks that the world is conspiring against him. Some may find his character annoying, but to me he was absolutely the most enjoyable part of this film. Jeff Goldblum and Kelly Lynch help to round out this brilliant cast and make Dallas 362 a truly enjoyable story. With the proper amount of emotion and real-life dialogue, Scott Caan creates a very unique independent film that does not get the recognition it deserves. If you're a fan of the genre give this one a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Gritty, interesting, but a bit slow second half

Author: JacquesGilles
24 June 2003

Was in 'Vegas for fun at the Palms hotel - caught the CineVegas festival while I was there. Saw a bunch of interesting films which already have distribution, this one and THE ROAD HOME, were the two I saw that did not.

Interesting movie which I heard was the first film written and directed by Scott Caan. He did a good job and I really enjoyed the build up of the first half, but then the film kind of slowed down and lost some of my interest. I didn't get into the characters as much as I wanted to, but I did enjoy the performances especially of Jeff Goldblum.

Overall a decent little film.

Great first try...I actually loved it!

Author: poppaditty from United States
26 July 2009

I really connected and became invested in all of the characters in this movie. It had a simple plot and was somewhat predictable minus the title (you'll understand at the end), but I had a lot of fun with it. Scott Caan really pulls of the tough guy act especially for his height, something like Joe Pesci in Casino. Jeff Goldblum did his consistent but pure acting. The script was savory and sweet and I was content at the end of my 1 hour and 36 minutes less of life. Ever since Boiler Room I've been a Scott Caan fan. Obviously talent runs in the family. If your reading this Scott, thank you keep doing what your doing. I think with the right promotion you could grab a sweet portion of the market share in my demographic. Also, thanks to Netflix for putting it on they're watch instantly online library, I would have never known. 8 out of 10 for me.

Very Powerful Story told on film

Author: LivingDog from NYC, NY
26 June 2006

I loved this film. I wasn't going to post a comment about since I read "learned" people's comments about how it isn't that good. Then one poster commented that Scott Caan wrote, directed, and starred in the film - and then continued to pan it (give a poor comment). That's when I knew I had to comment about how great this film is - how powerful - how it grabs you into the life of its characters and how you hang on every unforeseen event. (I jumped at one point.)

The people panning this film are all too edu-ma-cated. They need to watch this film as a movie - sit back, relax and let it grab you by the throat and drag you away. In my opinion they are all falling along "party lines." I know of Mr. Caan from a few of the movies I have seen him in: Ocean's Eleven (2001) as Turk Malloy, American Outlaws (2001) as Cole Younger, Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) as Tumbler and Ready to Rumble (2000/I) as Sean Dawkins. I thought he was untalented and would go nowhere in his career - they were all small parts except for the wrestle movie and he seemed to fit the role. So I was under-impressed.

Then I saw this film, read some comments, found out he wrote, directed, and starred in this film and then realized who he is ... one of Hollywood's best all around talents ever. If the "connected" people in Hollywood don't bury him, then he will rise as a legend. Powerful story from a powerfully gifted young man - yep, it's the whole thing.

Caste: