IMDb > Twisted (2004/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Twisted

Twisted More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A high-caliber cast slumming in "made for TV" material.

Author: Li-1
21 September 2004

* ½ out of ****

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again; I'm a sucker for mystery thrillers, especially when they involve methodical serial killers. So despite the fact that Twisted was clearly one of the worst reviewed films of the year, I still rented it based on both my preference for the genre and for the film's cast, as I am huge fans of Samuel L. Jackson and Ashley Judd. Andy Garcia, Russell Wong, and Leland Orser are in the film, too, and that's definitely not a shabby supporting cast.

The film stars Judd as San Francisco patrol officer Tess Shepard. After busting a murderer, she's promoted to inspector by the commissioner (Samuel L. Jackson), who also happens to be her legal guardian thanks to a rather sordid past. Tess' new partner is Del Marco (Andy Garcia), and they're quickly assigned to their first case when a corpse is discovered by the shore. The crime is murder but there's a catch; Tess recognizes the dead man, a mere stranger she picked up at a bar a month ago. Another murder occurs, and it's yet another man Tess slept with. And considering she keeps blacking out the night each of the men is killed, she begins to suspect if she's the very own killer they're looking for.

For all that's very wrong with this film, Twisted isn't nearly as bad as I though it'd be. Don't take that as high praise, because the movie's still bad, just not horrible enough that I'd put it on any personal bottom 10 lists.

Because I saw this film just a day after Taking Lives, there was the occasional bit of déjà vu. Remember how I mentioned that film introduced us to the heroine by showing how clever and resourceful she was? Pretty much the same case here, except we also see that Judd's Tess Shepard can kick ass. Her cleverness is displayed through her ability to perfectly describe people and objects she's seen after a brief glance; a fine ability, no doubt, but not something that really impresses in terms of plot and characterization.

The movie's various attempts at building a sense of mystery are suspense are quite pathetic. Examples? Judd keeps hearing a metallic clinking outside her apartment every night before the murders, and she keeps drinking alcohol on those same nights and consequently blacks out. This is a repeated process, so you'd think it take her more than the majority of the film's running time to figure out her drink might be tainted with a drug or that whoever's making that noise might somehow be associated with her blackouts.

Figuring out the identity of the killer is almost too easy. Just follow Roger Ebert's little movie rule about how the culprit is almost always the person who has no other reason to be in the picture and you'll be able to narrow it down real fast.

Twisted is blessed with a surprisingly high-profile cast, and while most everyone is nothing less than decent, it's a bit of a surprise actors of such high-caliber would choose a script that plays out more like 'TV movie of the week' material. I can maybe see the appeal to Ashley Judd in playing a tortured but tough heroine, but Samuel L. Jackson has arguably the film's most thankless role, and he's barely in the picture for more than fifteen minutes. Competent acting is always a great plus in the genre, but it also takes plot and suspense to actually make a thriller with thrills and this movie has absolutely zilch in that department.

Really bad

Author: Bella_Bunny from United States
23 July 2005

Let me begin by saying - I love mysteries/thrillers and I really like Ashley Judd. I think she's pretty and a really good actress. But this movie is really lame.

They movie makers cheat throughout the entire movie. It's hard to explain without giving away the ending but the red herrings that they toss in are just unfair to the viewer.

Every time Ashley Judd drinks down another glass of wine and started to pass out, half of our audience started squirming in their seats (out of embarrassment), the other half just laughed out loud. It was pretty ridiculous. To top it off, the dialog throughout is mostly stupid.

The ending is as bad as the rest. No way I would ever watch again.

Okay, Not Bad....Certainly Doesn't 'Stink'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
4 September 2006

I had heard several people say, "Don't rent this movie; it stinks," but took a shot anyway because Ashley Judd is appealing to me. Well, I wouldn't buy the film but it worth the rental. It wasn't bad at all. It was a decent "serial killer movie" except for the ending which went on too long and got a bit sappy, but a lot of movies are know for that. However, by the end, all the characters (including Judd's "Jessica Shepard") had worn thin and I was glad to see it end.

I also had heard that the ending was easy to figure out but I didn't find that. Actually, I thought I, but I guessed wrong and I assume others did as well. So, don't believe everything you hear; it's a decent film. Nothing to spend a lot of money on, but you could do a lot worse. With Judd, Andy Garcia, Samuel L. Jackson and David Strathairn, the same could be said about the cast

It has all Of the elements but......

Author: (bsmith5552@rogers.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
25 September 2004

To hear Director Philip Kaufman tell it, "Twisted" was supposed to be the best film noire picture since the classics of the 40s. Not so. It has most of the elements of film noire..the dark lighting, the darkened streets and a murder mystery. But it doesn't quite work.

Officer Jessica Shepard (Ashley Judd) is a kick ass police officer who has just been promoted to Homicide Inspector. Now it seems that the comely young officer also has a penchant for violent behavior and one night stands. Her mentor is none other than Police Commissioner John Mills (Samuel L. Jackson) who has raised her and nurtured her career following the tragic deaths of her parents some years earlier.

Shepard's new partner turns out to be Mike Delmarco (Andy Garcia) whom she had unknowingly met the previous evening during a party at a bar in her honor. Suddenly, Jessica's one night lovers begin turning up dead, brutally beaten. At the same time, she has been experiencing blackouts immediately before the murders. She then begins to suspect that she may be responsible.

Sounds good huh? I though so too but on watching it I guessed who the murderer was almost right away. This took away any suspense the director was trying to build by placing suspicion on other characters. We do get some nice shots of San Francisco though.

The petite Ashley Judd is just not convincing as a tough love 'em and leave 'em cop. She does her best work in the psychological scenes where she comes unraveled at the thought that she may be murdering these men. Jackson does the best he can with limited material. He is off screen more than he is on. I thought that his character could have been fleshed out a little more. Garcia, playing an Italian again, does what he can with his role. TV's Camryn Manheim puts in a appearance as the forensic examiner Lisa.

Not nearly as good as Director Philip Kaufman would have you believe.

Not so bad as many negative critics written here

Author: Luigi Di Pilla from Riehen, Switzerland
4 December 2004

My expectations were fulfilled. I mean I knew that this one was not a top thriller but at least it was much more better than the last ones I see. I spent an entertaining evening with my wife that didn't fall asleep this time. This movie kept your attention from beginning and during all the time you are asking who the real murder is. The performance of Ashley Judd in her psycho role was very good and for all fans of her this is a must see. Yeah, it's a good psycho-thriller with a surprisingly end. I am wondering why so many critics are negative here. There are no doubt more movies who deserved less good votes than Twisted. IN THE CUT is another thriller you shouldn't miss if you liked this one. My rating with my wife: 6.5/10. Too underrated on IMDb!!

Why does Ashley Judd keep making these awful movies?

Author: anhedonia from Planet Earth
10 April 2004

Why does someone as talented as Ashley Judd keep making such rotten movies?

Does she read the scripts before she commits to them?

There was a time when Ms. Judd made terrific films - "Ruby in Paradise" and "Smoke" - she has a cameo and what a superb performance it is.

"Twisted" is just a mess of a movie. Not only is this film dreadfully paced, for a suspense thriller it is surprisingly devoid of suspense and thrills.

The story is utterly predictable. There are no plot twists and if you cannot figure out who the villain is about 10 minutes into the film, find yourself another hobby. The material is so beneath the talents of Ms. Judd, Samuel L. Jackson, Andy Garcia and director Philip Kaufman.

I can only hope that this film will finally prove to Ms. Judd that it's time to give this genre a break - for good - and sink her teeth into better roles.

Ashley needs a new genre

Author: christian123
20 November 2004

Ashley Judd plays police detective Jessica Shepard, on the hunt for a serial killer who is murdering the men she recently dated. When Jessica starts blacking out before each murder, the police commissioner (Samuel Jackson) and her partner (Andy Garcia) begin to suspect that she may be more directly involved with the murders.

Twisted may boast an impressive cast but that's about all it has going for it. The story is pretty unoriginal as this is just a female version of Tightrope. While having a tough female cop in the lead role is a little interesting, it doesn't save the film from being really bad. The film tries to trick the audience offering some twists and turns but they all fail. Twisted is a poorly written thriller lacking twists. If you really think about it, you could probably figure out the ending before the thirty minute mark. It's just so obvious that you wonder why they even bothered making it in the first place.

Ashley Judd stars in this movie and she really needs to move on to a different genre. High Crimes, Eye of the Beholder, Kiss the Girls, Double Jeopardy and now Twisted have all starred Ashley Judd and I think audiences are getting bored watching her in the same role in every movie. In Twisted, she gives her usual performance though she looked a little bored throughout the film. You would think having Andy Garcia and Samuel L Jackson would help but apparently no talented actor can save the movie. Jackson also appears bored throughout the movie and this a paycheck movie for him. Andy Garcia gives an okay performance. It was just a little over the top.

It's a by the numbers thriller and if you pay close attention to the film you can figure out the killer five minutes into the movie. If you sit back and relax you may enjoy it more but they could have hidden the identity of the killer a little better. All of the three main actors in this movie are way above this material and I was surprised to see all of them in this. In the end, Twisted is another dull entry into the genre and it's only worth watching if you're a die-hard fan of anyone involved. Rating 4/10.

You've seen this already.

Author: Diogo Bastos (DamRho) from Maia, Portugal
13 August 2004

Before I start commenting on this film let me tell you that although I won't reveal any spoilers it really wouldn't matter if I did since you already saw this movie. The reason you already saw this movie it's because the movie is generic and predictable. This movie has every possible and imaginable cliché a "who done it" movie could have: there's the disturbed hero that had an unfortunate childhood trauma and happens to be the prime suspect of the slaughter, there's the unrevealing partner who seems to be too nice to be true, there's the mentor who took over the hero's guardianship when her parents died, there's the ex-love interest who's far from the perfect date, there's the jealous co-worker who's trying to take the hero down, and there's the predictable plot twist at the end. Does this remind you of something? If you're thinking "A Time To Kill", "Eye Of The Beholder", "High Crimes" or "Double Jeopardy" you've got it! Ashley Judd only takes part in generic "who done it" films. What's even funnier is that the posters for these films look exactly alike. The acting itself has its highs and lows. Sam Jackson is, of course, the star of the company alongside Andy Garcia and both eventually have to carry the whole movie since Ashley Judd can't even wake up convincingly. Some moments in this film I thought I was watching and amateur group. Filmmaker Philip Kaufman seems to like going ups and downs in his career and create generic and bad movies (Henry & June, Rising Sun, Twisted) after brilliant movies (The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Right Stuff) so this seems to be yet another low point in his career thought he can't be blamed that the plot is so generic. A movie with this cast should have done a lot better, and Ashley Judd's career needs better scripts. She's not totally untalented, she just doesn't do these sorts of rules any justice. She's definitely not suited to be wear the "tough girl" gimmick. Only watch this movie if you have nothing else to do since you've already watched it anyway. Too generic.

Not nearly as bad as reviewers say

Author: Grant73 from California
8 March 2004

Seeing one popular site with a verdict of 101 bad reviews to just 2 good ones, I almost didn't go, but my S.O. likes some pretty so-so movies if they are exciting or suspenseful, so I took her. I did not find the plot so obvious. I actually enjoyed it a lot--a bit raunchy of course, but "normal" for this kind of flick. I actually recommend it as a thriller. Reviewers are really a bunch of whole assets, arent they? They probably are not too good at acting, screenwriting, directing or producing (though they might do okay as continuity persons!). Jackson, Garcia, Judd and several lesser players are just fine. Reviewers write to keep themselves working for a living, and that requires them to diss a goodly percentage of the movies they review.

nice little crime drama/murder mystery

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
28 January 2008

pretty good for the genre.it has suspense,plot twists,a nice creepy,dark atmosphere.it drop some nice tantalizing clues as to who the killer may be.Ashley Judd make a real kick ass heroine.she's certainly credible in he role,as a new homicide inspector with a more than a little baggage.Sam Jackson is great(once again,as her mentor,as well as the commissioner.Andy Garcia plays her new partner.he was OK,but i didn't really feel he completely fit the movie.there was just something...i really liked David Strathairn,as a police shrink.his role wasn't that big,but i thought he was impressive,none the less.i also liked the great Jazz soundtrack.despite all the good things about this movie,i wouldn't call it great.for one thing,it lacks any intense action,it's not really riveting or harrowing.so i wouldn't classify it as a thriller,but more a straight crime drama/murder mystery.i would have preferred it to be a bit more exciting.for me,Twisted is a 7.5/10

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]