IMDb > The Perfect Score (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Unfunny teen pix

Author: anhedonia from Planet Earth
7 July 2004

Given its universal and topical premise, this film had the potential to be scathing, pointed and funny. Instead, it meanders along at an excruciatingly dull pace with little humor, no thrills and nothing really to say.

The only inexplicable question is what is Scarlett Johansson doing in this awful mess? She's one of the finest young actresses working today and she is so much better than this dreadful material. She is the best thing in this film. The two or three passable moments in this film belong to her.

The rest of the cast simply goes through the motions. The characters are all conventional; clichés we've seen in countless other teen movies - the stoner, the athlete, the rebel, the studious girl, the best friend - well, you get the idea.

There's nothing even remotely funny or novel about this film. You keep waiting for something, anything, original, but it never happens.

"The Perfect Score" only reinforces how good the teen films "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "The Sure Thing" really are.

Cast elevates the film

Author: Spanner-2 from United States
11 February 2004

This film, from Brian Robbins (director of "Varsity Blues") has a bunch of high school students teaming up in a silly attempt to steal the answers to the SAT. The story is kinda dumb, but the actors are all fun to watch and their characters are interesting enough to make the film a bit of a guilty pleasure. GRADE: B-

Funny movie, with a good point...U.S. government are you listening?

Author: Dakota Floyd (spinachhater) from Georgia
7 February 2004

This is an awesome movie. Most people who see the previews just think that this movie is just another teen film about sex, but they are badly mistaken. The movie is basically about 6 teens who, for some reason or other, NEED to do well on the SAT...so, they plan to steal it to get the answers. It's a funny movie, basically because the narrator is a stoner, but it still has a serious point...the SAT is way too important because you could have the best grades of anyone and mess up on the test, and never do well in life. Altogether...it's a truly great movie...probably one of my favorites of all time. U.S. government, are you listening?

Good critique; fair movie

Author: James Hayes-Bohanan, Ph.D. from Bridgewater, MA
8 February 2008

I did well on the SATs, but I do not consider them fair. The first part of this film does a good job describing the problems with the SATs -- and with high-stakes tests in general. I am a college professor who sees standardized testing as very problematic; this film does a great public service by challenging the prevailing wisdom on testing.

The film seems to begin as a protest movie, with the students motivated by their righteous indignation to undermine the SAT. Once they get organized, though, they seem to forget this motivation, and this devolves into a fairly mediocre -- if diverting -- teen/adventure flick.

I would like to see the first 30 minutes remade as a documentary; I would show it to my students and colleagues. Fairtest.org is a good place to learn more about the corrosive effect of these tests, by the way.

Great movie!

Author: liannesang from Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2005

This movie is a great movie! I encourage all teenagers to watch this movie because I really think teens are the only audience that will actually appreciate it. I mean, I'm not being stereotypical or anything but I don't think adults can comprehend the teen-ish entertainment that we value so much because it is relatable to us, not them. Adults will probably say that this is just a stupid movie that was horribly made. But I beg to differ. All the characters are completely lovable (especially Roy played by Leonardo Nam!) and even if the plot line is a bit outlandish...it is still well acted with a wonderful cast. I wish that this movie was longer though. With it's tagline being that it is like Ocean's 11 meets The Breakfast Club...well, not quite...but close enough and still very funny and witty. With wonderful actors and a cute plot line, this movie is without a doubt, very entertaining. WATCH IT TEENS, IT WAS MADE FOR YOU!

Dismal, unfunny.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
9 July 2008

This movie is dismal, unfunny, and causes one to wonder why this movie was made in the first place. We know about the SAT and the complaints about how these standardized tests are given so much weight in determining one's eligibility for admission to college. But this movie trivializes that issue and reduces it to a mere subject for a weak, phlegmatic story. Then again, one can wonder if this vacuous movie is even worth any commentary. Once again Hollywood takes a sensitive subject and makes it into artistic mush. The pressure placed on high school students to get into college is a major problem and this movie further confirms that Hollywood does not have the answer.

Don't bother

Author: garikster from United Kingdom
3 June 2007

I think this is actually the worst film I've ever seen. This is mainly because it doesn't even fall into the "so bad that it's good" category: it manages to be absolutely awful without being entertaining.

The diversity in the main characters just looks forced, and the moral message at the end is so obvious, so trite and so predictable that I wanted to beat my head against the wall.

The only reason I even continued watching to the end is that I was with a group of friends. Had it just been me, I'd have stopped it before the half-way mark.

One curiosity about the film, I should add, is that it has a relatively young Scarlett Johansson in it. But even she can't save a film this bad.

Thanks, young talents!

Author: jpschapira from Argentina
5 May 2006

"The Perfect Score" is another film about high school students who don't feel very good about their lives and decide to do something out of line or rebellious to prove themselves better. It is also another film that takes a chance on showcasing young actors' talents, by gathering a promising an interesting cast. As the first thing, it doesn't work; as the second one, it works better.

Even when this happens, "The Perfect Score" is a bad movie; extremely predictable, repetitive, badly written (by the man who later wrote the very good "Coach Carter", also for MTV Films) and musically arranged, it has Mathew Lillard in the cast and so on. Six kids need to pass the SAT, and decide to steal it...First, some don't want to, but they ultimately do…Then, some can't get along, but they ultimately do. There are kisses and friendship moments, too.

I'm sorry if I forgot badly directed, it's just that there are many movies like this I could think of right now and that could teach the film's director a lesson. Brian Robbins is the name; his first known film was Kenan & Kel's "Good Burger" (if that doesn't explain…), then he made "Ready to Rumble" and "Hard Ball", among others, and he has recently premiered "The Shaggy Dog".

Now that's a great career in film-making and movie choosing…What he brings to "The Perfect Score" is barely anything, because he adds nothing new to the project, he didn't write it so not one of some great characters are of his creation and although he can handle the touching moments, we have already seen them and it doesn't touch us.

If his movie deserves some credit it is because it keeps its rhythm and brings one or two interesting characters aboard. Roy, for example, who is a drug addict who takes drugs because he has nothing better to do. Played superbly by the Argentinean born Leonardo Nam, it shows that this is the kind of character for one of these films: one who's really funny and for our bad luck becomes the only funny thing on screen.

The tall basketball player Desmond Rhodes (portrayed by Darius Miles) is another spicy element in the plate. Now we are compelled to wonder if these are real acting skills or if these young actors don't know the difference, because what their characters do is how they act in real life…But I think they do, so they can take the characters to the levels the script demands.

There are a few intelligent and constant young actors in the movie industry today; "The Perfect Score" has two of them on its cast, and they are almost the only reason that makes the movie worth watching. Chris Evans is not one of them, but Scarlett Johansson is. The actress, who is now at the top of her career, shows that she puts her dedication in each one of her characters; watch "Lost in Translation" or "Match Point" if you don't believe me. That girl's hot!

The other one is Erika Christensen, who made a slow story believable and entertaining in "Home Room" and saved "Swimfan" from being a disaster because Jesse Bradford can't do anything right now. Here she just keeps it real, which is what everybody should have done. But other things didn't help. I can't believe I could write this much.

Bad film of bored teen action. Only two valuables: Scarlet and the soundtrack.

Author: Santiago from Zaragoza / Pontevedra, Spain
2 July 2005

Only Scarlet Johanson's fans have one valid reason to watch this movie. I selected this movie to watch only in order to complete the list of Scarlet's films. The plot is really bad specially if consider that the characters try to justify themselves with a standpoint of "political activism". Even if it was a joke, it was a very bad one. The script is really horrible. The actors are not the problem, they do the best they can do it with such kind of script. The soundtrack is a good one, with rock bands like Supergrass,Foo Fighters, etc. One point for the soundtrack, and Scarlet accounts for two additional points. I vote 3/10. I recommend forget this film.

This movie gets an 'Imperfect Score'!

Author: mapeoleaf (mapeoleaf@canada.com) from Here abouts, Ontario
17 June 2004

I saw this movie on the plane and I can honestly say it did not help to make the long flight seem any shorter. In essence, it is a very good waste of some talented actors. It seemed too long, even at its time of only 90 minutes. First of all, Erika Christenzen, the very talented actor of "Traffic" is completely wasted in this drivel. She is reduced to the straight "A" student, over achiever who decides she has had enough of being so perfect; therefore she decides to rebel. Wow, how many times has this happened in movies? Too many times to count. The laughs are few and far between. This plot has been rehashed a thousand times. "The Perfect Score" is pointless and boring. I only enjoyed one scene that involved an irate mother disciplining the pot head friend of her son. This one scene had some heart and laughs because it involved a motherly connection to a young man whose mother has died. Beyond this somewhat redeeming factor, there is not much else is this waste of a film. Watch "Bubble Boy" or "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" instead. Then you will have laughs a plenty!!

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]