IMDb > The Perfect Score (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Perfect Score

The Perfect Score More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Scarlett Johansson is THE reason to see this movie...!

Author: harshman-2 from St. Louis, Missouri
28 January 2004

Well, not the ENTIRE reason to see this film... but she was certainly the highlight for me. Why? Frankly because I didn't even know who she was until I saw this film (sad, considering her other work is extremely interesting).

At any rate, the plot is simple; high school students pressured by life decisions plan to steal the S.A.T. (which has various definitions assigned to it throughout the movie). It becomes an elaborate scheme and many people get caught up in it.

Including shinning Erika Christensen (from SWIMFAN and TRAFFIC).

There's the obvious collection of somewhat stereotypical kids (a stoner, a brain, two slackers- one more academically charged than the audience would like to believe).

At any rate, this movie plays well.

I actually loved it!

I supposed it was a bit more personal for me since my PSAT and S.A.T. were HELL!!!!!! And I sunk my teeth depe into a movie that blasted these types of standardized tests and the implications they hold (sexism, racism, placism, all of which are true of standardized tests and the current education system in general, sad to me... and me on the brink of being an English professor).

At any rate, the bottom line is this: You HAVE to admire a movie where one of the "heroes" of the film is a stoner who's so ultra-smart among his peers that he excells past all of them while convincing everyone around him that he's borderline stupid. Only Mtv could produce such a character, or such a film.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

And watch Johansson... She's gonna be a star if her smoldering performance here is any indication! She plays the best goth/metal/rebellious/finger-to-the-system/badgirl I've seen in film today...

The Perfect Score is predictable, boring and unfunny

Author: christian123
14 November 2004

The Perfect Score shows what happens when six diverse high school students work together to try to steal the SAT exam in order to help them achieve their goals. From different backgrounds, each of them have their own reasons that force them to cheat on the test.

When I saw the preview, I thought it was going to be a funny movie but when I saw the movie there were no new jokes. The trailer had used all the funny moments and had cheated the audience. My expectations for the film weren't high but I was expecting it to be at least above average. The film really had nothing new to offer. Just some recycled jokes that we have seen before. What keeps the film from completely sinking is the cast. Some aren't very good while others actually give engaging performances.

Scarlett Johansson gives the best performance out of everyone. She held my attention whenever she appeared on screen. Erika Christensen was also pretty good, a little bland though. The rest of the cast were all pretty bland and wooden. Chris Evans just doesn't have what it takes to be a leading man. He was so unconvincing in this film. Bryan Greenberg was completely bland and pale. Darius Miles may be a good basketball player but he can't act at all. The worst performance goes to Leonardo Nam since they hyped him up as being so funny and he completely stunk. Matthew Lillard is underused in a small role. Which is too bad since his character could have been good.

Maybe my expectations were too high since The Perfect Score is directed by Brian Robbins. He brought us classic films like Good Burger and Ready to Rumble. He just doesn't have a very good imagination and his idea of comedy is weak. The ending is at least honorable, well sort of. They do get the answers to the test but decide not to use it. It was kind of stupid because they already knew half of the answers to the test. I know this is supposed to be a stupid teen movie but it should at least have been a funny one. In the end, The Perfect Score is a huge letdown that's worth skipping. Rating 4/10

Horrible

Author: davidsawyer-me from United States
24 January 2012

It would have been easier if those kids had simply studied like they were supposed to instead of blaming tests. The ton of work they put into risking their lives and futures to break into a building to take a test that simply to cheat is a horrible premise. This show was not making any rebellious statement or moral story of any kind shape or form. Since there was nothing else on TV to watch I happen to come across this stupid movie and thing that its got to be one of the worst premises ever. These kids could have could have done the make up exam and still had enough time to study aka brush up. Also if they were going to do that terrible on the tests anyway this didn't deserve to pass. It's not fair to those who spent their young lives actually studying. I hate the whole "lets blame standardized tests" premise anyway. It's not at all like people think it is. This is just a movie for those who are jealous of those who mutually study and work for a living. Not some dumb jock that happens to be a idiot savant at math and would have passed the test anyway, or some blond 4.0 student that has a mental impairment. She needs therapy not a stolen test. If she's that screwed in the head she's probably not going to make it in college or the career world anyway. And do we really need another Asian Stereotype in a movie? Just got to love hollywoods bigoted and racist stereotyping. I didn't do well on my SAT test but over the years I was given a ton of chance to make up for it. I also hate the fact that movies like this make community colleges or state universities look like scumbag schools when they are not. State colleges and community colleges have cranked out some very successful pillars of our society. Not to mention there are a ton of famous, rich, smart, intelligent, famous inventors that never even went to college. But anyway, like I said, it would have been easier and far less work if the kids simply studied like they should have or at least crammed before the make up. This movie is a big FAIL!

the worst teen movie ever

Author: deathofasaint5 from United States
30 August 2010

this movies characters were all based on tiring stereotypes. the acting was completely unbelievable and cheesy especially the Japanese's stoner. To cut straight to the point i could easily put this on the worst movies ever list it was so horrible that I'm till having flashback from the terribleness of this movie i almost thought nickelodeon made it.if it was in a dollar bin at some dollar store it still wouldn't be worth a dollar. i think that what should done with all the copies of this horrible excuse for a movie is that they should be collected up and rocketed to the sun so that this movie can no longer exist. as well as having everyone who watched this craps brain erased so they forget it.

Not great but not bad

Author: JohnOsteen from United States
3 August 2005

This isn't normally my type of movie but this one wasn't so bad. The actors were pretty decent and the story was OK. Again, I'm not the best judge but this movie deserved mention because there was an interesting plot and the direction was fairly decent. I would definitely recommend this film for younger film goers although I couldn't recommend it too highly for the older generation. This isn't normally my type of movie but this one wasn't so bad. The actors were pretty decent and the story was OK. Again, I'm not the best judge but this movie deserved mention because there was an interesting plot and the direction was fairly decent. I would definitely recommend this film for younger film goers although I couldn't recommend it too highly for the older generation.

Absolutely Awful!!!

Author: Miss_MiChiMi from MS Gulf Coast
20 August 2004

Why are these movies being made? The farfetched ridiculous plots, stereotypical and predictable characters, and utter lack of purpose makes me wonder what the heck is going on in Hollywood.

I didn't even try to finish this movie. I think I watched 40 minutes of it before demanding it be turned off! I was cringing at the lack of acting skills displayed in this waste of time. The plot was totally unbelievable. The pace of the story was slow.

I know this was aimed at the teenaged demographic, but I do believe that even the members of that group would pass this up. Brian Robbins needs to work on his skills as a director. Movies like this and Good Burger will win him awards eventually, the Razzies!

Predictable but okay anyway

Author: eddy_currents from Canada
19 August 2004

Nothing memorable here but not bad for light entertainment. The characters are two dimensional and I was able to predict much of the plot, but I got a few chuckles. Matthew Lillard was the only name here I recognized and he was the low point. His character changed in midstream.

I was hoping it would be a good family-ish movie, and it was except for some profanity at the beginning. Why? oh why? can't movie studios provide an edited sound track for families? They do it for TV.

If not for the profanity it would make a decent family movie. The ending was predictable and hard to believe, and a mite too neat and syrupy.

Updated Breakfast Club without the wit

Author: noizyme from Escondido, CA
27 July 2004

The reviewers have been relentless on this film before this comment, for good reason. It is nothing more than another film trying to update a past film (namely Breakfast Club for this movie) in the same, safe MTV-produced way. I gave it a 5 for it's unoriginality and it's middle-of-the-pack quality.

Matthew Lillard was a good surprise (being he wasn't toted on the playbill posters at all) who did a regular good job for his acting caliber at playing the "funny quirky brother." Scarlett's beauty and quick-wit save her in this sea of look and soundalikes. In typical "do-your-job-for-society" MTV production-values, there is, of course, a stoner who gets a talking-to.

Other than those acting and attractive looks qualities to the actors, not a whole lot is different from the Breakfast Club mention except you actually see the families and the relationships between the students getting exams acts like a typical teenage tornado. A very average film that doesn't strive to do much else than to fill any gaps in high school programming for the MTV TRL generation. Don't bother seeing this...as long as MTV is making films, you're bound to see this film again!

Beginning good, end bad

Author: kahnartist97 from Anaheim, CA
11 July 2004

This movie started off with a good amount of humour and had a great cast, but the problem is the end just didn't add up. Scarlett Johanssen just works in the movie, along with everyone. And the premise of getting everyone into the scheme is good too. But the movie falls flat on its face at the end with the "lesson" that you just have to do good in the world. If the directors and writers had tried not to make this movie into a moralistic one (which it fails terribly, considering it holds a stoner up on the proverbial pedestal as one of the key players), it would have earned a solid seven, just as many other comedies on this site do. But the lesson to do good ruins it, and drops the grade down considerably.

Gotta love the first half, gotta be disappointed with the latter.

not too shabby at all.

Author: Rishi R from Foxboro, MA
5 July 2004

i was skeptical going into the movie, reading all the reviews, and seeing the ratings and all. but no, it wasn't all that bad, i wouldn't actually mind watching it again. of course its no bring a tear to your eye, or have you shivering under your covers. its a good kick back and chill kind of movie, the kind of movie where you don't want to associate a lot of thought, just relax and watch. of course me being a student facing the upcoming SATs may play a factor but i bet anyone can enjoy this movie. there were actually a few times when a chuckle would escape my lips. so in conclusion, not really in the mood to use your brain, and just want to kick back and enjoy, turn this movie on, wont let you down.

of course, its not one of those movies you will always look back on as one of your favorites.

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]