IMDb > The Perfect Score (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Dumb.

Author: rolem0del from Oregon, United States
1 February 2004

I saw "The Perfect Score" and found it to be a very large waste of my money. From the previews that I saw, I was expecting a comedy. The only funny parts that there were, were the ones that were in the previews. It makes no sense at all. I highly suggest you do not see this overrated teen movie.

A modern day Breakfast Club, minus the first-time laughs.

Author: Illustrated from Los Angeles, CA
18 January 2004

I wish I could speak more highly of it, but I was expecting better from this film. The ads for it made it look somewhat promising, but it really isn't much. In the usual style of MTV, it's a fast-moving, teenage-friendly flick, that ultimately doesn't have much to say.

In the movie, six, somewhat mismatched, high school seniors plot to steal the answers to the SAT from the Princeton Testing Center for their own, various reasons.

The movie had its moments, and would definitely not have made it without the talent of Leonardo Lam (Roy). Scarlett Johansson (Francesca) gives a spotless performance, though one definitely not as memorable as those in Lost in Translation and Girl with a Pearl Earring.

If you liked MTV's past dabbles with film, you're probably going to like this one. Though somewhat crude, it's a good movie to see with your friends on a Friday night. You *will* have fun. But no memorable experiences to be found here.

A very mediocre production, if not a disaster.

Author: Scott910 from China
18 June 2004

I watched the movie because I am very interested in the theme. There is also such a standardized exam in my country that every student hates.But nobody has the guts to make a movie like this which says what every high school student wants to say and mocks at the exam and the system behind it.

However, the movie itself is a very mediocre production, if not a disaster. It's not funny. I don't think I laughed even once. And the plot is totally predictable and not reasonable. I guessed the part of them not using the answers at the end only half way through. And I still can't understand why they decided to figure out all the questions of the test when they are still in the EST building instead of copying the questions and getting the hell out of the place as soon as possible. Then, they could work out the test when it's safe and less pressured.

My ranking: overrated 4 out of 10 for a very interesting theme.

Pretentious, self-absorbed and preachy

Author: SteverinoAlaReno
15 February 2004

What a colossal waste of time!

As someone else noted, this movie is trying to be "The Breakfast Club"-meets-"Ocean's Eleven", but it falls well short of the mark.

I've never encountered a film in which I was thoroughly annoyed by the central character less than 5 minutes into the plot. So, I guess "The Perfect Score" broke some new ground for me. But the central character's incessant whining about the SAT and how unfair it was to subject us to this standardized test, blah, blah, blah...well, you get the idea. If he'd spent as much time studying as he did whining, he would have gotten a better score in the first place. And did anyone else think it would be unnerving to live in a building designed by an architect who (a) apparently didn't know math and (b) resorted to cheating rather than hard work?

The movie got even more annoying as each character was introduced. The initial shot of Francesca, where the camera pans up from her panties, was just creepy. This is a high school girl...people go to jail for doing that on the Internet.

The writers had a little trouble with math on their own. Kyle was introduced as having a 3.7 GPA and 105th in his class (out of 284); his friend had a 2.3 GPA and was 175th in his class. That made little enough sense, but then Francesca was shown as having a 3.7 GPA and 34th in the class. The grading at that high school must be interesting.

I know I'm nowhere near the target audience of "The Perfect Score", so maybe my opinion doesn't mean much here. But the thing that bothers me most about it is that teen-agers, to whom this film is aimed, will see it and agree with all its sanctimony.

Worse than your average high school movie

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
17 July 2010

"The Perfect Score" is like your typical high school movie. When things get tough (the SATs), the not-so-tough turn to crime (stealing the SATs). These students are able to justify their crime with their morally-weak minds. That at least is like high school I know, self-important students are able to justify anything if it's something they want.

They tried to present us with both plot and characters. These are characters we've all seen many times before, including such classics as the sports star, the over-achiever, the stoner, and the better-than-thou rebel. They are all painfully, predictably cliché. The plot is why they get at least a few stars but not many.

Where "The Perfect Score" falters the most, is with the 'hooks' MTV tried to give it: it's narrated by the stoner, and everyone speaks with only swear words. Stoners of course typically speak slower than an average person which just make all the predictable things he's going to say and the inevitable events happen even slower. The exaggerated use of swear words I'm assuming is just to give the movie an edge. Just remember that this is produced by MTV, that should be all I have to say.

I Want My, I Want My, I Want My SAT

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
10 May 2009

Chris Evans, Erika Christensen, Bryan Greenberg, Scarlett Johansson, Leonardo Nam and, "NBA star Darius Miles lead this hip coming-of-age comedy about six students who try to break into the testing center and steal the answers to the SAT," according to the official synopsis, "The classmates are wildly different, but share a common goal - to prevent the standardized test from unfairly defining their lives. As they plot a hilarious heist that could make - or break - their futures, the students grow closer, never suspecting where they'll ultimately find the real answers… within themselves."

The leading players are good-looking, but they neither look nor act like they are in high school. Nothing against the actors hired, but there are adult performers who could pass for high school age students. A couple of changes would have given the cast a more believable appearance. What makes it worse is that the idea was a good one, but, really… this cast doesn't look like they are teens stressing-out over getting "The Perfect Score" on their SATs. Instead, they look like they should be having sex and getting sliced up by "Freddy" or "Jason". The lighting and photography (Clark Mathis) are nice.

*** The Perfect Score (1/27/04) Brian Robbins ~ Chris Evans, Erika Christensen, Scarlett Johansson

Bonding Over The SATS

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
18 February 2008

Six anxiety ridden teens, Chris Evans, Erika Christenson, Leonardo Nam, Darius Miles, Scarlett Johanssen and Bryan Greenburg are having panic attacks over the impending Scholastic Aptitude Tests aka the infamous SAT which will determine whether you go to an Ivy League School or MacDonald clown college. Don't tell them anything different.

What to do but hatch a plan to steal the answers and get The Perfect Score which will put you on the path to fame, glory, and riches, whatever priority you have.

The Perfect Score is a new millennial version of The Breakfast Club and it even has the same number of troubled youth who spent that afternoon in detention discovering themselves. It's not as serious ultimately as The Breakfast Club was, but at least this one included a black and Asian teen in the mix.

Although Chris Evans and Scarlett Johanssen have gone on to have the most substantive careers at this point, the best in the film hands down is Leonardo Nam. He's the perpetually stoned one who is the most underachieving in the class, but he turns out to be the one who makes lemonade with lemons life hands him. Nam is also interesting in that he's the one who seems to be rebelling against an Asian stereotype in that those young people are the smart overachievers. In any event he steals every scene he's in.

The Perfect Score is a nice teen comedy about six unlikely people who bond together in an objective and develop relationships and aspects of their character they never thought to have possessed.

Perfect score gets a perfect score

Author: xkotokox from United States
31 December 2005

I thought that this movie was great! I actually bought it on DVD. Even though it's true that stealing the answers wouldn't help because of the fact that the SAT have several versions, if you look passed that, this movie gives real meaning to REAL high schoolers. The stoner kid for instance, Roy, (He's my favorite one. I think everybody that loves this movie loves either Roy or Francesca, played by Scarlett Johanson), he portrays the comical, smart-ass teenager that you woudln't expect when you stereotype stoners. These people portray REAL teenagers, the ones who are different but yet have hopes and dreams to do great in life. Most of the comments hit you like what Roy tells Desmond when they were taking the math test. Basically, this movie is worth watching, over and over. The people that hate this movie don't know reality.

who hasn't thought about it

Author: mxracer157 from United States
2 March 2005

quirky MTV humor. what child hasn't thought about robbing the answers to the sat. each one of us brought up in the age of the sat has. the writing in this is whimsical. the acting realistic. all the actors and actresses in this do a wonderful job. NBA star Darius miles plays a high school basketball star but does a nice job. the best job of acting is the movie is the basketball players mom. Scarlett does a wonderful job playing a bad girl. she looks gritty but you can still tell she is gorgeous. this was a decent movie.it was a little too teenager's for me, but so be it. nice humor through out, good job MTV! the directing of the inside at night scenes was the best part in this film. Nice to see a group of potential star quality actresses and actors finally get movie of their own for a change!

Better than Expected

Author: Writers_BlockUK from United Kingdom
23 January 2005

I rented this film after seeing Chris Evans in CELLULAR and Scarlett Johannson in LOST IN TRANSLATION. I heard that the movie was held back from release a while until Scarlett hit the big time with a few awards she received. i watched the movie with a slight cynical POV, but i was actually quite surprised that an MTV movie would actually become enjoyable. OK, so the premise is corny and stupid, even more so seeing as i live in the UK and SAT'S are nothing to me, and i never really understood how High school students, who can't get a high SAT score can pull of a mission impossible style heist. But hey, this the MTV generation and if people like Ben Affleck can save the world then i can believe Dumbass kids pulling of a heist. The acting is above par, but the characters aren't exactly detailed enough. Matthew Lillard shines as usual in the small part of Kyle ( Chris Evans ) older dumb brother. Scarlett goes through this film almost with the knowledge that she is destined for better things and just goes along with. With a lot of flaws, i still sat and watched this no-brainer film and weren't disappointed. if you like films that are no brainers or easy on the mind then watch it and it doesn't matter. Could have been A lot worse. thankfully it wasn't

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]