IMDb > The Perfect Score (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Perfect Score

The Perfect Score More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The Best Teen Flick Ever.. Ever!

Author: devil_dude140
10 June 2004

Cast: Anna Ross - Erika Christensen Kyle - Chris Evans Matty - Bryan Greenberg Fransesca Curtis - Scarlett Johansson Desmond - Darius Miles Roy - Leonardo Lam

Okay, I was forced to watch this movie, expecting this to be a horrible piece of crap, i was dead wrong! This had to be the funniest teen flick I have ever seen in my entire life!

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

This movie is about 6 kids who need help, or didn't do so hot on their SATS, and try to steal a test from an office where the SAT questions are made. Fransesca (Johansson) is the only one in the group whom is permitted to enter the building, so they try to do this at night. That is all I am going to say because I don't want to ruin the movie!

*END SPOILERS*

Once again, great movie! You have to love Roy (the stoner), hes one of the best characters ever created! And this movie would have been crap if Scarlett Johansson wasn't in the movie!

Rating: 8/10

Much more enjoyable and smart than I thought it was going to be.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
17 May 2005

OK, "Perfect Score" is not going to go down as one of the better movies of the 21st century, but I found it to be much better than I expected, and that is always a welcome outcome. The plot is simple -- a couple of guys who need good SAT scores plot to steal the answers. So the middle of the movie plays out like any heist caper, the gathering of the team, the planning, the beginning of the heist operation. It seems like they end up on a random discovery process where the final team is made up of 6 high school seniors. One needs to get to Maryland, where his girlfriend already is. Another, second in her class but not good at taking tests, wants to get into Brown. Another has always wanted to be an architect and wants to get into a certain school. Another is a star basketball player (and in real life an NBA star) whose mom wants him to go to St. John's to get a diploma also. And, the other two just want the thrill of being involved.

Erika Christensen is Anna Ross, who is a model student and daughter, has never even broken curfew. Scarlett Johansson is Francesca Curtis, her dad ignores her while always chasing young tail. Darius Miles is Desmond Rhodes, the basketball player. My favorite character was played by Leonardo Nam as Roy, the kid at the very bottom of the class and who always seems stoned, but is in fact brilliant with computers and higher mathematics. He just lacks direction and motivation.

SPOILERS. Francesca has access to the building and gets cards and plans. They sneak in through a skylight at night, hack into the computing system, together they read all the questions and as a group figure out the answers and create a cheat sheet. The guard is coming, one of the boys sacrifices himself by appearing to be taking a computer monitor, is arrested, while all the others escape. He gets bailed out by Francesca, the next day they all meet in the gym, but no one wants the answers to cheat. Well, maybe Roy. The night before through conversation they all realized they didn't need it, their goals were misguided. Each followed his or her own path afterwards. And, Roy found his dream job after getting the best SAT score in his district, and later getting his GED, he became a video game designer.

Almost Perfect...

Author: mdeibel from Okie City
30 January 2004

After enduring the torture of Cheaper By The Dozen, This is a welcome high school flick. The cast though not conventional, does a pretty good job with an original script. Most teens in school films are all about going to prom, while one character falls for a jerk/skank then in the end up with the childhood friend. This film is different and should be appreciated for something different. A really good film with a decent ending. Oh, it also has the really hot Erica Christenson in it!(scarlet looks good also in this film). Not a bad way to spend a Friday night..

For the foolish only

Author: george_mase from United States
22 December 2004

This film was mildly entertaining, but incredibly dumb. The premise itself pure sucked. A group of teenagers, all from different backgrounds, all too dumb to get a decent SAT scores but nonetheless want to get into colleges they are not qualified to get into. It seems they spend a considerable amount of time plotting a scheme to steal the SAT scores from ETS, but no time actually trying to study and take the test honestly. The dumbest part of the movie was probably when the basketball player who can't get a 900 on the test, and has a terrible GPA reveals he's a math whiz and can "ace" the math portion of the exam. I can see these MTV morons sitting there saying let's not stereotype the black basketball star, so they throw in a quasi-curveball into an otherwise completely brain dead stereotypical group of characters.

A Perfectly Low Score.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
4 May 2015

The Perfect Score (2004): Dir: Brian Robbins / Cast: Erika Christensen, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Bryan Greenberg, Darius Miles: Pathetic showcasing about how we are evaluated based on test scores. The screenplay assembles six types as oppose to personalities and involves them in a scheme to steal the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) answers and then throw in a phony revelation where they realize that they don't need it. What a crock. Director Brian Robbins has made garbage before in the form of Good Burger and Ready to Rumble but this time he has a difficult time keeping that boom microphone from bobbing into frame. Perhaps he should try to figure out what he did right with Varsity Blues. Among the cast is Erika Christensen playing the typical snob who wishes to defy her parents. One must wonder how Scarlett Johansson went from Lost in Translation to this? Was she having a bad day? Did she lose a bet and become the butt of a cruel pay up? Chris Evans, Darius Miles and Bryan Greenberg also make forgettable appearances. There is a half-ass theme regarding abilities ignored in favour of test scores but this film scores low and contains no ability in any department. Its potential arguments are second hand to the ridiculous storytelling. Best advice is to scrape this film into a trash bin and that would be the perfect score for any victimized viewer. Score: 1 / 10

No - brainer entertainment.

Author: Jānis Locis from Latvia
16 December 2014

An OK movie, yeah, just OK. Nothing really impressive about this one, it was kind of short and really blatant. However, the idea about students being pressured too much with their exam scores by everybody is relevant and a good topic of discussion, nobody really cares what you really want to be, only how good your test scores are, while you are in school, after that the scores doesn't matter and you are thrown in the real world wondering what happened, if you spend all your time worrying about the exams.

Really not as much action as you would expect from a movie, where 6 high school students break into PTC and steal the exam results. Only 1 of them got arrested and there was next to no action overall.

This movie is good, if you just want to eat some snacks and chill, nothing to think about, very easy to watch.

There were 2 cool things about the movie - 1) Roy was a very funny character. 2) Scarlett Johansson in 2004.

Because I Get Down

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
31 August 2014

Well, "The Perfect Score" is a very unknown movie in my country, and for some reason I decided watching it last afternoon. I'm just out of words to express how impressed it got me. From the get go, the story feels entertaining and different from mainstream pictures, especially when it comes to such young characters and subject. The cast is very charming, given that every actor/actress has its own beauty, which creates more connection with the young audience. But, what made me notice I was seeing a professional film, was the GREAT acting coming from everywhere, mainly from the two male leads. I wouldn't ever expect such ability in an unpretentious story like this. Also, characters aren't portrayed as the extreme clichés Hollywood usually follow; for instance, the Japanese guy is a pothead in here, instead of a studying genius. "Because I Got High" song made me laugh every time Roy was caught smoking. In fact, the whole soundtrack feels cool, showing the best of early 2000's pop/punk, with artists like American-HiFi and Simple Plan. The only let down was the predictable character of Matthew Lillard, who ALWAYS play the stupid guy. But, all in all, "The Perfect Score" proves to be everything a teenager might expect from a high school themed movie, without even appealing to be a drug inciter, so it has my recommendation for sure.

big future stars in weak caper movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 December 2013

Six kids decide to steal the SAT. It stars some future Hollywood stars and an NBA player. The story is fairly bland. The dialog isn't sharp. If it wasn't for the stoner Roy (Leonardo Nam), there wouldn't be comedy at all. And I wouldn't call him a great comedian. The various attempts at jokes usually fail.

The story tries to be Breakfast Club with a caper. The style is a lower grade A-movie wannabe. The recreation of The Matrix only helps to remind the audience that this is just a copy of better movies. And there are better caper movies than this. It doesn't feel very well thought out or special. And the pretension of being the next Breakfast Club really suffers by the comparison.

The good part of the movie is the young faces. They have star power even back then especially Scarlett Johansson who plays the enigmatic Francesca Curtis. However I must admit that I am always surprised at how successful Chris Evans has become. The acting here is usually better than the material.

The Dinner Club !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
13 October 2013

Maybe the writer of this movie, sat to watch John Hughes's The Breakfast Club (1985), many times, thought about its own leads; these high school different students, whom pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they imagined, then wrote about the idea of them meeting in a night robbery, instead of a morning detention. Or that what eventually seemed !

The premise is fine. A heist comedy with heart; where there are 1) Thrill. 2) Comedy. 3) Some drama. I loved points in the script; from situations like when the brainy girl had to get into the already being stolen building; for the heck of it, to touches like the double meaning in the title. The cast is very good. Scarlett Johansson is sexy and talented. Erika Christensen is yet more sexy (what a body !). Enough to mention that while her running scene, my heart was beating like crazy ! Leonardo Nam is great as the funny stoner, being the biggest comedy this movie has. Even real-life school basketball star Darius Miles manages to do his job so convincingly. Only Chris Evans and Bryan Greenberg aren't charismatic enough. But anyway, Erika Christensen's body is sexy !

The direction made things hot and snappy; it mastered the thrill of the heist, and some of the visual comedy (as in the team's daydreams), while leading the emotional parts rightly too.

Now to The Perfect Score's not perfect score; and I mean one factor : the script. Well, to sum it all up, while the heist and the comedy parts were OK, the drama part wasn't. The characters weren't built seriously. Take for instance the stoner; why he's living this way ? All what we know about him is that his mother is dead, and that's not enough at all. Moreover, the scene of him with the basketball star's mom; what was that about ? After one tongue-lashing, he quits drugs and refuses cheating !! Which leads us to the ending. Not choosing using the answers which they hardly got isn't the problem, not playing it logically is. I mean, com'on, suddenly we discover that ALL the leads are geniuses ! And the way they realized that "they don't need cheating to get what they want" wasn't any well written. At that part, I felt the writer wanted to persuade us verbally not actually. And finally, what was the story of that so serious, yet half naked, woman in the ETS building ?!

According to its premise, this is light comedy. And according to its fault, it is so light ! That's why it's entertaining, but not that memorably effective. However, among the heist movies of 2004, like Ocean's Twelve, Times Lucky, The Big Bounce, and The Ladykillers, it has its high rank, being way better than most of them, let alone that Erika Christensen's body is sexy !

Pleasing cast but felt like a waste of time

Author: phd_travel from United States
22 July 2013

The story is a bit of a teenage Oceans 11 breaking into the ETS offices to steal the answers of the SATs.

There is a story for each person in the diverse group of kids who have various reasons for wanting the test results. In the end it felt like a waste of time and lost steam during the break in which felt like an anti climax.

Watching this movie in 2013 it's interesting to see some of the appealing cast members have become quite famous since then especially Chris Evans and Scarlett Johannson who looks quite different. She really blends into the role she is playing.

Not worth a watch despite a likable cast.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]