IMDb > Hey Arnold! The Movie (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hey Arnold! The Movie

Hey Arnold! The Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Makes a pretty picture, but doesn't go outside the lines to make itself even more beautiful

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
29 June 2011

Hey Arnold! The Movie is harmless, cute, and eventful. Never being a huge fan of the show, but always liking it, I was pleased with the movie adaptation, but found it hard to accept. It's a longer episode of the show, but doesn't do anything daring or very memorable. The Simpsons got sealed into a dome, South Park started a war with Canadians, and even Spongebob set foot on land. Arnold didn't accomplish something as monumental as all the others.

For what it is, it's nothing but an extended episode of the show. Arnold and his pals Gerald and Helga try to stop Mr. Sheck, a giant businessman, from taking over their small neighborhood and replacing it with a huge, revolutionary mall. This means destroying Arnold's block and possibly losing all of his friends in the mix.

Its entertainment stems from its simplicity and the character's desire to achieve their goal. They try and buy secret agent gear to sneak into Sheck's office. Arguably my favorite scene in the movie is the broken hearted bus driver complaining about his failed relationship. The scene mirrors the film Speed, and is pretty much one of the best homages to the film I've seen.

But like I said, if you're going to bring it to the big screen, do something bigger than the series. This could've been an hour long special on Nickelodeon. A seventy-five minute film based on a Nickelodeon's series doesn't say much other than "we thought we'd make you see it a different way." Arnold is likable to a degree, but he's just another perky kid who wants a seemingly impossible thing done. Every character we've seen before. The one character I absolutely loved in the show was Oskar Kokoshka, a con artist who lived in Arnold's apartment. He has a brief appearance in the film, and does his signature voice I've loved since my childhood. Sadly, his presence is far too short. He he he.

Hey Arnold! The Movie isn't bad, but not consistently funny. The voice acting is good, the characters are still charming, the only thing that fails is its ability to stay inside the lines and not venture out to explore a bigger range in storytelling. At this point in time, the future of the series looked grim, and it seems the movie just serves as a piece of the show's history.

Voiced by: Spencer Klein, Francesca Smith, Jamil Walker Smith, Dan Castellaneta, Tress MacNeille, Paul Sorvino, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Christopher Lloyd. Directed by: Tuck Tucker.

Impossible, could never happen movie but it's good for the kids

Author: saint405 from United States
26 June 2005

Hey Arnold! The Movie is one of those movies where there is a easy to get into plot but there are too many things in the plot that can never be done in real life. Kids can't be spies, kids can't drive a bus,and such. Now this film spoofs too many things as well. The whole idea with the pickle juice on Big Bob, ripping his shirt, and he is all green except for his brown slacks, horrible rip off of the hulk! They spoof Scooby-Doo's best line " I would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for that football headed kid, his friend with the long hair, and the girl with the one eyebrow!" But hey, this is a Nickelodean movie so it's supposed to be for kids. If you like Hey Arnold the t.v show you'll like this. This t.v itself movie gets the big 6, good for kids and some adults but could never happen. Fun for the whole family!

i thought it was pretty good

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
31 December 2007

i haven't see the show that this cartoon is based on,so i can't compare it to that.as a standalone movie,though,i thought it was pretty good.i liked the characters and their quirks.the story was full of intrigue and suspense.yes,i said it suspense,even though it's a cartoon.the movie also moves along at a decent clip.there are a lot of pop cultural references,some modern,some older,but many adults will get them.of course there's also some references only kids will get,but there is enough for everybody.the movie isn't particularly hilarious,but it does have some amusing moments,and even one or two quite funny parts.there are some fairly dark and mature themes in this movie,so it might be too much for young kids.i'd say it would be OK for anyone over 10,depending on maturity level,of course.for me,Hey Arnold!The Movie is about a 7/10

A treat for the fans

Author: dseliber from Yorktown Heights, New York
8 August 2002

My friend and I had said before "Hey Arnold!" came out that it'll probably be a pretty bad movie, because of the excessive advertising Nickelodeon put together before the release. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully entertaining it was. Now, I've been a relatively big fan of the t.v. show since it first came out, so this is a biased review, but for anyone who's a fan of the show (and as one critic pointed out, who else would want to see this?), this is well worth watching. There's a few good pieces of comedy (mostly from Grandma and Grandpa), and the parents (who'll probably be a least a little amused by it) will notice a whole bunch of cliches from other movies, which is the style in the which many of the episodes are based upon. So the bottom line of this movie is: if you're a fan of the show, this is well worth seeing. If you're not a fan (I then don't know why you're even reading this), you might be entertained, but it's up to you.

Good Movie... but it depends on your mindset.

Author: Sennical from Birmingham, AL, USA
9 July 2002

I am a fourteen-year-old girl and while I'm certainly not the show's core demographic, I enjoyed the movie as much as I enjoy any episode of the TV series. Hey Arnold was one of the things I had lived with since about the second grade and then one day it just turned into a full-blown obsession.

But first off, let's get one thing straight, people: This was NOT intended to be a big-screen movie. It was intended to be a Nick Flick, one of Nickelodeon's made-for-TV movies. The powers that be decided that the storyline of the series held a much more interesting premise: searching for Arnold's parents. That premise became the movie. But then, for reasons I am not aware of, this switched back to being a theatrical movie. Then there was some kind of disagreement, and now it's unlikely we'll ever see the second movie. ::sniffle::

That information aside, this is still a very enjoyable movie. The particular theater my brother and I saw it in was filled with many parents, most of which probably had no idea of the story behind the movie (both legal and TV-show-story wise) and they still enjoyed it as much as I did. Helga is as laughably enjoyable as ever, and the movie still contains subtle humor situations that adults will enjoy.

This is a decent enough movie. And if you still think you won't like it, go see it for us fans, who desperately want a second movie and are hoping against hope that it will be made. Thank you.

Nazi/Soviet propaganda in full color!

Author: Ersbel Oraph from Switzerland
13 July 2017

The movie was amazing! Is. More than an hour of moral relativism. Violence, stockpiling explosives, invasion of privacy, breaking an entrance, stealing, and everything for "the good purpose". It's crime. It's organized. It's premeditated. But, it's for the people! And we, the authors, state who is the people and who is the baddie.

And all of that from the first scene, where the home maker smiles friendly to the camera when the dirty ball is weezing past her laundry. Now that is friendly neighborhood. And don't forget the Christian morals: poor and honest.

Contact me with Questions, Comments or Suggestions ryitfork @ bitmail.ch

Hey Arnold! The Movie

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
14 May 2017

Just like the similar animated movie of the cartoon series Doug, this is purely for fans of the original cartoon series. I can't really see any kids (or adults) getting along with this unless they know the original series and have followed it (the various backstories). Yet despite that Hey Arnold! (like other 90's Nick toons) is very open to all ages because its content is relatable and surprisingly clever at times.

This was probably my fave Nick toon even beating Rugrats, why? Well because (as said) you could relate to it quite well. Many of the stories tend to revolve around real situations that kids deal with in their daily lives. Situations many of us will have gone through at some stage in various ways. The usual stuff like bullies, school, school projects, parents, families, snow days, playing outside with your friends, adventures using your imagination etc...

Along with that is the great array of loud quirky characters which fill this world (Dan Castellaneta voicing grandpa Phil being one of the best). The odd designs for the characters is the main series trait which is admittedly bizarre to look at. I'm guessing they are probably caricatures based on creator Craig Bartlett's real old school friends and adults he knew growing up. Of course the colourful hand drawn style of the cartoon is one of the lures for me. Really rich, vivid, bold environments that look glorious. Each cartoon has their own unique individual artistic style, but Hey Arnold! is really one of my favourites. Its so pleasing to the eye, makes me wanna live in there (the fictional city of Hillwood).

As for this movie, its obviously an extended version of the regular cartoon; but alas as usual it can't quite live up to the original shorter material. The plot is quite a heavy one involving Arnold and Gerald trying to save their neighbourhood from being destroyed by some rich tycoon. This doesn't really work too well in my opinion as it just seems too much of a stretch for the characters to achieve. At the same time some of the subplots by other characters to stop all this from happening also come across as a bit too daft (yeah I know its a cartoon but still). Blowing a hole in their own street with tonnes of dynamite? The whole tired spy parody angle complete with James Bond-esque characters and gadgets...ugh! How many times must we see that??

The main sore point here is, in the original cartoon Arnold and co often deal with simple kids issues, as I already pointed out. The cartoon worked so well because even though the episodes usually dealt with childish things, they were completely relatable (as already pointed out) and kinda cute. So when you then give these characters tasks to perform that are way out of their depths, tasks that would usually involve adults, it loses that cuteness and relatability. Because no one can really relate to single-handedly taking down huge corporations and being ninja spies.

All in all it does feel like the writers have had problems trying to think of cute filler to pad out the run time. Even for a kids film its dreadfully average and predictable. I realise its a difficult problem to juggle, trying to remain faithful to the original show but making it bigger for the silver screen. But then what does that tell you? Maybe don't make a movie out of said material because its not meant for the big screen perhaps?

The new characters are also kinda bland and uninteresting unfortunately. They are voiced well by a stellar cast but they just seem uninspired. All except for the Coroner voiced by Christopher Lloyd, he was quite cool. All the other regular characters are present and correct voiced by the regular cast so continuity is good. Obviously the movie only focuses on a few so many are pushed into the background. Visually and audibly the cartoons style is the same accept for the odd spot of CGI which just about blends in OK.

For the fans to look at this film is to love it. Its as you would expect but so much crisper and more delightful, but that's about it really. The plot is lame, it feels terribly stretched, they try to cram all the characters into the background, and the little amusing touches have disappeared. All they needed to do was stick to a more kid friendly plot if you ask me, or a continuation from the final series perhaps. Something we (the fans) can all relate to, exactly why the series was so successful in the first place.

It's OK

Author: Thomas Stansfield from Sydney, Australia
15 June 2013

I remember back in 2002, the movie came out and I really wanted to see it but I didn't had the chance too. But I've watched it on TV and looked at it again on DVD and to me the movie is OK but not great. It should've worked as a three parter TV movie, as originally intended and they could have used 'The Jungle Movie' as the actual movie. The story is of course predictable as we all know that in the end, Arnold saves his neighbourhood. The animation is OK but bland looking in some places, as other Nickelodeon movies like the Rugrats were animated well to make the movie look pleasurable. It's not the best movie ever made by Nickelodeon but it has a good story, yet easily predictable and the animation is OK but can be bland most of the time. I would prefer 'The Jungle Movie' over it though.

Drat, No Jungle Movie

Author: StephenBurg from United States
15 January 2012

Hey Arnold! The Movie is a decent and somewhat uninspired movie based on the legendary Nicktoon "Hey Arnold!". I liked this movie better as a kid, now I realize that everything was just happening way too quickly. The plot revolves around Arnold's neighborhood being tore down by a greedy city developer and he and his friend, Gerald, have to stop before it's too late. It wasn't the most original movie ever made, but it was enjoyable. The best part was when the Grandma tried to escape from jail, and later we see her leaving a man's toilet in a parody of The Shawshank Redemption. If you're a fan of the show or just love animation movies, pick this one out for the kids. There's not too much to sit through it's only 80 minutes long. My rating: 6/10 Rated PG for Thematic Elements

Not for Adult Viewing. Children only!

Author: Ray754
30 June 2002

Only children below the age of 12 should be allowed to see this film. The rest of us should take a book, MP3 player, or just take a nice nap to endure the experience of this event. This can be best summed up as a "blown-up" TV movie being distributed into theaters. Children will want to see this film, and they will like and be amused by the movie.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]