IMDb > Hey Arnold! The Movie (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hey Arnold! The Movie

Hey Arnold! The Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Good Movie... but it depends on your mindset.

Author: Sennical from Birmingham, AL, USA
9 July 2002

I am a fourteen-year-old girl and while I'm certainly not the show's core demographic, I enjoyed the movie as much as I enjoy any episode of the TV series. Hey Arnold was one of the things I had lived with since about the second grade and then one day it just turned into a full-blown obsession.

But first off, let's get one thing straight, people: This was NOT intended to be a big-screen movie. It was intended to be a Nick Flick, one of Nickelodeon's made-for-TV movies. The powers that be decided that the storyline of the series held a much more interesting premise: searching for Arnold's parents. That premise became the movie. But then, for reasons I am not aware of, this switched back to being a theatrical movie. Then there was some kind of disagreement, and now it's unlikely we'll ever see the second movie. ::sniffle::

That information aside, this is still a very enjoyable movie. The particular theater my brother and I saw it in was filled with many parents, most of which probably had no idea of the story behind the movie (both legal and TV-show-story wise) and they still enjoyed it as much as I did. Helga is as laughably enjoyable as ever, and the movie still contains subtle humor situations that adults will enjoy.

This is a decent enough movie. And if you still think you won't like it, go see it for us fans, who desperately want a second movie and are hoping against hope that it will be made. Thank you.

A treat for the fans

Author: dseliber from Yorktown Heights, New York
8 August 2002

My friend and I had said before "Hey Arnold!" came out that it'll probably be a pretty bad movie, because of the excessive advertising Nickelodeon put together before the release. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully entertaining it was. Now, I've been a relatively big fan of the t.v. show since it first came out, so this is a biased review, but for anyone who's a fan of the show (and as one critic pointed out, who else would want to see this?), this is well worth watching. There's a few good pieces of comedy (mostly from Grandma and Grandpa), and the parents (who'll probably be a least a little amused by it) will notice a whole bunch of cliches from other movies, which is the style in the which many of the episodes are based upon. So the bottom line of this movie is: if you're a fan of the show, this is well worth seeing. If you're not a fan (I then don't know why you're even reading this), you might be entertained, but it's up to you.

Makes a pretty picture, but doesn't go outside the lines to make itself even more beautiful

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
29 June 2011

Hey Arnold! The Movie is harmless, cute, and eventful. Never being a huge fan of the show, but always liking it, I was pleased with the movie adaptation, but found it hard to accept. It's a longer episode of the show, but doesn't do anything daring or very memorable. The Simpsons got sealed into a dome, South Park started a war with Canadians, and even Spongebob set foot on land. Arnold didn't accomplish something as monumental as all the others.

For what it is, it's nothing but an extended episode of the show. Arnold and his pals Gerald and Helga try to stop Mr. Sheck, a giant businessman, from taking over their small neighborhood and replacing it with a huge, revolutionary mall. This means destroying Arnold's block and possibly losing all of his friends in the mix.

Its entertainment stems from its simplicity and the character's desire to achieve their goal. They try and buy secret agent gear to sneak into Sheck's office. Arguably my favorite scene in the movie is the broken hearted bus driver complaining about his failed relationship. The scene mirrors the film Speed, and is pretty much one of the best homages to the film I've seen.

But like I said, if you're going to bring it to the big screen, do something bigger than the series. This could've been an hour long special on Nickelodeon. A seventy-five minute film based on a Nickelodeon's series doesn't say much other than "we thought we'd make you see it a different way." Arnold is likable to a degree, but he's just another perky kid who wants a seemingly impossible thing done. Every character we've seen before. The one character I absolutely loved in the show was Oskar Kokoshka, a con artist who lived in Arnold's apartment. He has a brief appearance in the film, and does his signature voice I've loved since my childhood. Sadly, his presence is far too short. He he he.

Hey Arnold! The Movie isn't bad, but not consistently funny. The voice acting is good, the characters are still charming, the only thing that fails is its ability to stay inside the lines and not venture out to explore a bigger range in storytelling. At this point in time, the future of the series looked grim, and it seems the movie just serves as a piece of the show's history.

Voiced by: Spencer Klein, Francesca Smith, Jamil Walker Smith, Dan Castellaneta, Tress MacNeille, Paul Sorvino, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Christopher Lloyd. Directed by: Tuck Tucker.

i thought it was pretty good

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
31 December 2007

i haven't see the show that this cartoon is based on,so i can't compare it to that.as a standalone movie,though,i thought it was pretty good.i liked the characters and their quirks.the story was full of intrigue and suspense.yes,i said it suspense,even though it's a cartoon.the movie also moves along at a decent clip.there are a lot of pop cultural references,some modern,some older,but many adults will get them.of course there's also some references only kids will get,but there is enough for everybody.the movie isn't particularly hilarious,but it does have some amusing moments,and even one or two quite funny parts.there are some fairly dark and mature themes in this movie,so it might be too much for young kids.i'd say it would be OK for anyone over 10,depending on maturity level,of course.for me,Hey Arnold!The Movie is about a 7/10

Impossible, could never happen movie but it's good for the kids

Author: saint405 from United States
26 June 2005

Hey Arnold! The Movie is one of those movies where there is a easy to get into plot but there are too many things in the plot that can never be done in real life. Kids can't be spies, kids can't drive a bus,and such. Now this film spoofs too many things as well. The whole idea with the pickle juice on Big Bob, ripping his shirt, and he is all green except for his brown slacks, horrible rip off of the hulk! They spoof Scooby-Doo's best line " I would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for that football headed kid, his friend with the long hair, and the girl with the one eyebrow!" But hey, this is a Nickelodean movie so it's supposed to be for kids. If you like Hey Arnold the t.v show you'll like this. This t.v itself movie gets the big 6, good for kids and some adults but could never happen. Fun for the whole family!

Arnold is great on the big screen!

Author: Stargaziey (Stephanie@stargaziey.com) from Oklahoma
30 June 2002

I have been a big Hey Arnold! fan from the beginning & was perfectly pleased with the movie. It flowed much like the cartoons in the series & I was very happy that it wasn't over done with bad graphics like other cartoons that have come to the big screen. The long awaited Helga Confession Scene was perfect in every sense, even in the aftermath. I feel that nothing has changed except a deeper understanding of each other.

Hey Arnold! is an awesome cartoon & is too often over looked by adults & children. Still the avid fans, it's classic characters & true to life storylines make it an excellent cartoon for both spectrums of the age group. It wouldn't be Nick's 2nd longest running Nicktoon if it wasn't a great cartoon. I say congrats to Arnold & Craig (the shows inspired creator) for a great show & look forward for greater ones to come.

beautiful

Author: J. L. Johnson
31 December 2002

i never get tired of watching this movie. every time i see it i find something new. and franny smith is great, as always. and gerald saying the Hebrew prayer! and, well, just everything! my father and i loved this movie. my dad has only gone to the theatres to see one movie in the past twenty years, THIS one, and he has no regrets. it's a great movie for any movie buffs with indiana jones, hulk, speed, prisoner, fugitive references, oh, beautiful. i love arnold so much. this movie is great for anyone with the intelligence to pay attention. the animation isn't as good as the show, but once you get past that it's the coolest movie.

Too cool to be live!

Author: christiandacanay from Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
8 April 2005

yes, the movie is too good but the movie can go live action version. think of it... Alexander Gould (of Finding Nemo) can be Arnold! unfortunately, the movie should have a love scene. Wish there's a Hey Arnold vs Recess team up movie, but hey, besides, let's give Francesca Marie Smith kudos to her good voice acting! Wish that there will be a sequel! and the show has to continue till season 10! well...the movie should have 3D and anime CGI to make the movie fun. the enemy reminds me of another movie's enemy, Dr. Benedict of Recess-School's out. the movie should have other characters from the show, like the older subs of Gerald and Helga (as in Jaime O and Olga), and Arnold's cousin Arnie. the movie needs a bit of improvement (maybe in the sequel- if it will be released sooner or later) but it's okay!

Drat, No Jungle Movie

Author: StephenBurg from United States
15 January 2012

Hey Arnold! The Movie is a decent and somewhat uninspired movie based on the legendary Nicktoon "Hey Arnold!". I liked this movie better as a kid, now I realize that everything was just happening way too quickly. The plot revolves around Arnold's neighborhood being tore down by a greedy city developer and he and his friend, Gerald, have to stop before it's too late. It wasn't the most original movie ever made, but it was enjoyable. The best part was when the Grandma tried to escape from jail, and later we see her leaving a man's toilet in a parody of The Shawshank Redemption. If you're a fan of the show or just love animation movies, pick this one out for the kids. There's not too much to sit through it's only 80 minutes long. My rating: 6/10 Rated PG for Thematic Elements

Decent, but not as engaging as it ought to have been

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 July 2011

I love the show, this movie was just decent in my opinion.

Pros: The animation is very good, very vibrant and colourful. The music is infectious and memorable. The dialogue is witty and funny, with plenty of modern and adult pop culture references to satisfy adults and teenagers, and there is enough funny dialogue to amuse kids too. The characters are still the charming characters I know and love, and the voice acting is great.

Cons: The pace is uneven, the ending feels rushed and the middle drags a tad. The additional characters are well voiced and animated, but not as interesting as they had potential to be. What hurts the film is the story, a good idea but too thin and predictable for the running time.

Overall, decent as a standalone, but not as engaging it ought to have been and I hate to say this, the show is better. 6/10 Bethany Cox

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]