IMDb > Tarzan & Jane (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tarzan & Jane More at IMDbPro »

Tarzan and Jane is Pretty Lame

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
27 March 2008

Argh! What a mistake! I saw the DVD at a charity store where it cost only 1 euro 50. I bought it thinking: well it's a Disney movie, so it can't be that bad and the money's going to charity. Man, was I wrong. This is perhaps the worst Disney trash I've seen (thankfully i have successfully avoided watching the likes of Disney's 'Crap School Musical'. Unlike the numerous other Disney films I've seen, this one has no heart. The animation looks miserably amateurish. The voice cast fails to impress, even Mandy Moore's song is terrible. This is one film that should be avoided at all costs. I haven't seen the first 'Tarzan' and I dozed on and off into sleepiness while watching this (and that hardly ever happens to me while watching a movie). At least the money hopefully goes to charity and I'll try to sell this DVD on the net asap.

More $$$ foe Disney

Author: from west covina, U.S.A
24 July 2002

If you have seen the television show then you will be familiar with this movie. All the characters from the television appear in Tarzan and Jane. IMHO this isn't really a sequel to the movie but to the television show. The movie revolves around flash backs to the past year that Tarzan and Jane met and now. The movie is just a couple brand new television shows put together to make a movie that Disney hopes to make a profit. Even though i did find the movie enjoyable, i didn't like how it was presented. If you like the morning show, i think you'll also like "Tarzan and Jane"

Worst Disney Sequel Ever

Author: Victorious One from United States
16 August 2005

Disney sequels, generally, aren't always as good as the original movies. There are, however, some very good sequels such as "The Lion King II," "Lady and the Tramp II," and "Toy Story II." But "Tarzan and Jane" is indeed the worst of Disney sequels, where the story was dope, the characters were boring and aren't as lovable as they were in the original movie, the music was awful, and the animation was rubbish. The story was simply about Jane wanting to find an anniversary present for Tarzan, and while doing so in the jungle, she starts remembering the adventures they've had so far. If Disney continues to produce movies like this, it will definitely lose its touch and magic. Disney's "Tarzan," though regained its prestige in "Tarzan II," where they did a good job in it.

Awful plot and animation

Author: (gdnickel) from Abbotsford, BC
20 February 2003

I'm really amazed that the profit motive would rule so large in the making of this film. It was so obviously and completely slapdash in concept - three unrelated flashbacks? come on! And the animation is really second rate - up close on a DVD it looks just awful. You really don't even want to subject your kids to this trash - my three year old was almost totally uninterested and I don't blame him. 2/10

A Horrible, Insulting Theft

Author: critic_at_large from Hollywood
25 August 2002

This movie is awful, just awful. Somehow, Disney managed to make a 60 minute cartoon with formerly-interesting characters seem like an eternity of dull, directionless garbage. My children (ages 6 and 4) were so bored watching this that they finally turned off the TV themselves, and they were mesmerized by the original Tarzan movie. I honestly felt like Disney had stolen my DVD purchase price with this one. I wish I could return it for being a horrible movie, but alas, I'm stuck with it. The DVD case is worth more than the content on the disc. Avoid.

It's just terrible

Author: Truckhitterfilms from United States
3 June 2014

Disney has the reputation to make really good animated movies and then create sequels to them that are some of the worst movies ever made, "Tarzan & Jane" being the worst of them. Granted, the only other two Disney sequels I have seen are "The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" and "Kronk's New Groove", but I find it almost impossible to believe there could be a worse Disney film. It's just terrible.

Starting off with Tarzan and Jane swinging through the jungle in an attempt to capture the moving scenery from the first film as Phil Collins' "Two Worlds One Family" is misplaced into the scene, we get a our first look at the animation, which is a gargantuan step-down from the animation of the first film. Lots of detail is removed from the character models, and they look as if they do not fit into the scenery they are set in. The character appearances just seem too bright to be in the locations they're in.

Through a series of three flashbacks, we witness the events of the past year and get to see our recurring characters again. All of the characters have lost all of the charm and characteristics that their original characters had and seem like completely different characters. Tarzan (Michael T. Weiss) has no personality or character traits other than he isn't familiar with traditional human customs and he loves Jane. Jane (Olivia d'Abo) is turned from the quirky girl from the first movie and is nothing more than a damsel in distress that needs to be saved. The professor (Jeff Bennett) has been reduced to comic relief without any character. Terk (April Winchell) the gorilla and Tantor (Jim Cummings) the elephant are the only two characters who maintain relatively the same personality, though they are both used even more for comic relief then they were in the first movie.

The cutting to the flashbacks seems like they are setting up a punchline like a cutaway for "Family Guy" would rather than setting up a flashback that encompasses a third of the movie. The flashbacks also make the movie feel like there is no plot as they distract you from what the problem about the anniversary is. The events that take place in the flashbacks have no real effect on anything other than it would make Tarzan sad if Jane tried to do something for their anniversary.

Phil Collins "Two Worlds One Family" from the first film plays at the beginning of the movie as I mentioned above. While in "Tarzan" it matched the story about how Tarzan came from the human world but was raised in the gorilla world and both groups from the world are his family. In "Tarzan & Jane", the song does not go along with anything happening in the movie and is just used because it's from the first movie.

At least with "Simba's Pride" and "Kronk's New Groove", the films at least kept the characters the same and kept the animation to the same level as the first movie instead of changing the character's personalities and downgrading the animation. The new characters are one dimensional and boring, the returning characters are different, the animation has been downgraded, bad use of music, and an overall bad and forgettable story line, "Tarzan & Jane" is just terrible.

There is nothing really to look forward to in this movie, except it being over.

Author: avi-greene2 from Fayetteville, Arkansas
26 January 2016

I really liked the first Tarzan Disney movie when I was a kid, and would often watch it after school on VCR when I was in first grade. When I saw a trailer for its sequel I thought "Hey, this looks pretty good", so I bought it on VCR when I was eight and I really don't have much to say about this one, except that it should have never even been made, and there's nothing special about it. I've never even had much of a memory from this sequel, and I really think this is a garbage animated sequel that is worth skipping. Some of the things that were horrible and lousy about this was Jane's annoying voice, the boring story lines in three episodes this movie contains, and some of the new music written for this one was also terrible. Fans of Tarzan 1, do not watch this.

Not bad, but could have been a lot better.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
17 May 2009

I personally don't think it is the worst Disney sequel, but it does pale in comparison to the original movie. I don't Tarzan is the best Disney movie, but I still loved it. Now Tarzan and Jane's first problem is that it is merely three episodes of the TV show. The animation isn't that brilliant to be perfectly honest with you, but I can understand why it looked Saturday morning cartoon standard, because that's what the TV show is. A good example is the animation of Jane, it was very ugly at times. The songs aren't the best I've ever heard, but I've heard a lot worse. Cinderella 2's songs were awful. And I actually liked Mandy Moore's singing. I agree with the other comments it could have had a lot more humour, there were valiant attempts throughout the movie, especially Terk's "Mr. Fancypants" line, but there could have been a lot more. The characters aren't as likable than they were in the first film, and all the voice actors are different. The new voice actors, like Olivia D'Arbo, April Winchell and Jim Cummings do their best, but their characters don't have enough personality, and Tarzan's voice actor, while spirited and well done, just lacked the extra ingredient, charisma. The plot merely consists of three stories, and while they are well-voiced and well-intended, they are let down by a lack of imagination. The diamonds in the volcano reminded me a little bit of Congo. Though I liked some of the new characters, I mean Jane's friends were a nice touch. Another pro of the movie was that at an hour and a quarter, it's a good length and goes along at a reasonable pace. In conclusion, I don't think it was awful, but it could have been better. 6/10 Bethany Cox.

Not on par with the original, but enjoyable nonetheless

Author: Not War (NotWar) from Wales
22 January 2009

Although this was not exactly on par with the original (it is hard for it to compare, I saw this one on YouTube, and the original in '99 in the cinema), I don't believe it was as awful as people seem to think.

Albeit I find with many Disney films, there are a lot of things included that young children would not understand, such as Tantor's reference further on in the film to a "love triangle".

Not one to watch if you're looking for another fantastic "Tarzan" experience, but worth watching if you want a bit of a laugh.

I give it a 7/10 purely because it actually managed to make me crack a smile here and there, which is one huge feat for Disney these days with all their big CGI outings that fall flat the vast majority of the time.

oh my god no connection to the first!

Author: MrandMrsDarcy
12 January 2005

i was very glad to see the movie in the rent store i couldn't believe my eyes! how could i have missed this movie before? i rented it and couldn't wait to go home, i opened it and i couldn't believe my own eyes..

this movie has nothing to do with the first it was really bad. How can they make it again? it didn't have an exciting adventure, all of what is said was that Jane was seeking a present for Tarzan and she has trouble finding it.

every time she remembers a gift or something to do in the anniversary a bad memory pops up and makes her change her mind. the animation was awful. the voices has nothing to do with the first.this movie was made for nothing i don't get why they made it.

fans off Tarzan DO NOT rent/buy this movie it will change your whole mind about it.