IMDb > Pokémon 4: The Movie (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pokémon 4Ever

Pokémon 4: The Movie More at IMDbPro »Pokémon 4Ever (original title)

You Know, It's Not Meant to Be High-Brow Entertainment...

Author: kejali
17 October 2002

I can't see the point in burying a movie like this in sulfuric sarcasm, when it is in no way intended to be anything more than a vehicle to entertain children and prepare them for the next line of merchandise to beg madly about.

This is a fun movie. My children sat quietly through the entire thing and loved every minute of it. Granted, the villain is a bit over the top with his silly costume and maniacal laugher, but this is a lot more easier to take than the dark, gloomy, and very morbid Pokemon 3.

My children have been watching Pokemon since it started and they are soon getting to the ages where they will "put off the childish things" and move on to others. I am glad that we got to enjoy this together.

Words from an adult Pokemon fan

Author: The Fox-2 from southern California
28 October 2002

Another Pokemon movie has hit the theaters, and again, I'm hearing the same old, "Pokemon is dead, blah blah blah." The franchise's detractors couldn't be more wrong. Kids are still playing the trading card game, they're still watching the TV series, they're waiting for the Game Boy Advance games, and they want to see "Pokemon the 4th Movie."

That said, "Pokemon The 4th Movie" introduces us to two more "legendary" Pokemon: Suicune, the "north wind" of lore, and Celebi, guardian of the forest (and star of the show). Celebi transports itself and a boy named Sam 40 years into the future, to the present day, where Pokemon trainer Ash, his faithful Pikachu, and his friends Brock and Misty are traveling through Johto. Sam and Ash become fast friends, once they discover the other's mutual love for Pokemon (Sam's vintage Pokeball with screw-on top is a great moment). Together, they decide to protect Celebi from the villain of the story, the Team Rocket agent aptly named Vicious, who is hell-bent on capturing Celebi for his own ends. Will Ash and Sam be able to protect Celebi from Vicious' Dark Balls? Where does Suicune fit into the picture? Will Jessie, James, and Meowth have bigger parts in this movie than before? And just who is Sam, really?

Like with the first 3 movies, if you go into the movie deciding that you're automatically going to hate it no matter what simply because it's Pokemon (or just because your child/niece/nephew/younger sibling/et cetera "dragged" you into it), then you're going to hate it because you've decided that you want to hate it. That may be, but to blindly trash "Pokemon The 4th Movie" simply because it is a Pokemon movie, and especially without having seen it, is just plain stupid. Even non-fans can enjoy this movie without having to know every last detail of the world of Pokemon. I'm not saying that you WILL become a Pokemon fan because of this movie, but you CAN indeed enjoy it, if you'll let yourself.

Unlike the first 3 Pokemon movies, "Pokemon the 4th Movie" is being distributed by Miramax, who I've heard is also working on securing the rights to the 5th Pokemon movie, which was released this past summer in Japan. Miramax claims to have some boffo-aggressive marketing strategy for "Pokemon The 4th Movie," but all I've seen so far is a feeble limited release, which doesn't include the usual Pikachu short in the beginning, which I was really looking forward to this time. I hope that Miramax will see fit to put the Pikachu short, called "Pikachu's Exciting Hide-and-Seek," onto at least the DVD/VHS release, if not with a future wider release of "Pokemon The 4th Movie." I hope that the current release is just the tip of the iceberg for this very entertaining film.

Astounding!

Author: pathighgate from Modesto, California, USA
29 October 2002

I just returned from the un-expectantly entertaining Pokemon 4. It is a matter of great wonder to me that others did not find the rich storylines in the film as enlightening as I did. I suppose the unfortunate reality is if a film doesn't cater to the 'lowest common denominator', its success domestically (and more and more in foreign markets) is questionable at best.

At first I wish to address the flaws. The animation, as has been pointed out before, is at best sub-par. But where they skimped on artistry in the drawings of the characters, the storyboard simulated camera angles and image composition are superb. The film lover will note the use of techniques from film auteurs such as Orsen Wells (note the second part of the opening scene, which is quite obviously an homage to the master) or Sam Peckinpah (pay close attention to scenes leading up to the first Pokemon Battle and try to tell me you aren't reminded of Straw Dogs). I also thought the sound was pretty crummy.

That aside, the film was a pure masterpiece. As in the preceding three Pokemon movies, the story centers on the loveable 'Pikachu'. Pikachu looks like an overfed mouse that can use his powers to fight other Pokemon, sometimes to the death. All Pokemon (Japanese for 'The Monster who lives in the pocket') have special powers. It has been said that Pikachu is the most powerful of all of these, but to find out that one must become a 'Pokemon Master'. As a parent, I am still confused to what that really means, and I suspect that in 10 years, the entire lexicon of Pokemon movies and television programs will be required viewing in the more credible Psychology and Philosophy departments in Universities around the world.

Countering the hero that Pikachu presents us is yet another Pokemon, who is called 'Meowth', brilliantly voiced by the multi-talented yet under-rated Addie Blaustein. Meowth, unlike every other Pokemon can speak in English (who only know and converse in Japanese. As a side note, I hope in the DVD version the English translation of the Pokemon's conversations will be provided). Meowth travels with a hapless game of criminals called 'The Rocket Team', who battle with Pikachu and his owner Ash to become Pokemon Masters.

Within these two characters lie the classic storyline of the Epic struggle between good and evil, truth and deception, black and white. It is highly recommended that the casual fan revisit the entire running of the TV series in order (including the surreal yet awe inspiring Jhoto Journeys) and the films before returning to this work.

Nine out of 10. Near perfection in my book.

To each his own

Author: steeviej from United States
19 July 2006

As a Pokémon fan I enjoyed this movie very much. It introduces new legendary Pokémon (as each movie does) and adds depth to the relationships between its characters. I however do not expect those who are not Pokémon fans to enjoy it(This includes MOST adults). Some of the lines were corny, but that can be somewhat unavoidable when dubbing the movie over to English. The animation was beautiful, although there were a couple parts that did not look good. And although the villain is kind of corny, I think that the movies have done a good job of cycling through different types of villains, and I guarantee you that they aren't all like this one. Those who did not like it, I say to each his own, but Pokémon fans will love it.

Best pokémon movie yet

Author: Aien from Netherlands
5 January 2003

I so love this movie! The animation is great (for a pokémon movie), the cgi looks so awesome. I love the music in the movie. So great they kept the Japanese music.

As for the story: its great. It has a great feeling of friendship. Celebi is a very cute and powerful pokémon. Ash is really great in this movie, and I like his friendship with Sam. The only thing I didn't like was Suicune's appearance, he just suddenly pops up, helps Ash & co a bit and leaves. They could have made his part in the movie a little bigger.

But overall, awesome movie! Can't wait to own the USA version on dvd!

Another good Pokemon film

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
24 February 2008

Out of these Pokemon films (which are in order of best to least for me): Pokemon The First Movie, Pokemon 4Ever, Pokemon Heroes, Pokemon 200 and Pokemon: Entei and the Unknown, this is probably the one most concerning the environment, arguably the most beautiful and the most calming one. Whether these are good points for you or not, "Pokemon 4Ever," still has entertained many.

As well as the three points covered above, this pokemon film includes good humour and good CGI (as well as anime). The time travelling theme of the film is represented in a good way and Team Rocket (the comic reliefs/rubbish baddies) end up with quite good gags and end up being more main characters than sidekicks.

The flaws are, as always, the rather unnecessary violence and action and the baddie is pretty uninteresting, even more so than a few Pokemon film baddies.

A strange pokemon is being tracked down by a pokemon hunter in a forest. A young boy tries to save the pokemon and it takes him somewhere...

Meanwhile, Ash, Brock and Misty are entering a large forest...

Curious? Watch the rest...

Good for all Pokemon fans and "American" anime movie fans, enjoy "Pokemon 4Ever"! :-)

Aw, come on people

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
15 April 2008

I have always enjoyed the Pokemon movies. Yes, I know, all of them are very corny, mediocre in some certain areas and sure, even though they're aimed at little kids they're too adult in some fields to be able to guard them with the statement,"Hey, lighten up, it's a kids movie," but all that aside, aren't they still good pieces of entertainment? In my opinion, they are so and I enjoy them greatly. This one is just as enjoyable as the previous three, and certainly cuter. It has some really sweet and touching moments since it is the introduction of the lovable, fresh Pokemon Celebi. It's not the best Pokemon movie, but I do enjoy it more than the third installment, even though the third is not bad, and the entire series is just entertaining, harmless, popcorn family fun and should be considered nothing more, nothing less. This film has some high marks of intensity and interest, especially around the climax/ending, as do all the installments, and the characters, while a bit more lackluster than the previous three, I thought, are still likable and humorous. This films is the lowest rated and most criticized of the four feature length adaptions, and it doesn't deserve that.

Far better than you'd expect

Author: Shawn Watson (curiositykilledshawn@gmail.com) from The Underverse
24 August 2012

I was a big Pokemon fan back when it was initially popular. I've not had a fix for a while and I decided that this, the fourth Pokemon feature film, would be good enough. It exceeded my expectations.

Ash, eternal jailbate tease Misty, and Brock enter a mysterious forest in their ongoing travels which is inhabited by many rare Pokemon. Out of the blue a young boy appears with his newly befriended Celebi. He's time-traveled 40 years to escape a cruel Pokemon hunter but is soon on the run again when a new villain from Team Rocket turns up. The gang follow, keen to learn about Celebi and keep him safe. Jesse, James, and Meowth tag along in the background and provide the usual comic relief.

Pokemon 4Ever feels a lot like a Hayao Miyazaki film with it's environmental message, forest setting/imagery, and beautifully detailed animation. The plot is also clever and has a surprisingly touching twist. I was very impressed with this sequel and I highly recommend it.

The Western version of the film contains an extra scene at the end, explaining the twist with a little more clarity as it was originally only hinted at in the end credits, but not too many kids would hang around during the credits, so I can see why the Weinsteins would insist on it. But, for a change, it's not a Miramax alteration that voids the integrity of the film.

Nice Film! I Enjoyed This A Lot!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
23 April 2010

I have seen the first Three Pokemon movies and I really enjoyed them, but then I decided to see this one, and when I watched the movie, I thought that it was really a nice film! I really enjoyed this a lot, probably because of what a big fan of Pokemon that I am! Though this movie like the other three has some pretty low quality animation, and despite that the plots were beginning to get a little hokey, I still really enjoyed this a lot! Though it is also not the best Pokemon movie that I have seen, that goes to the first movie, I still had one extremely enjoyable time with this movie!

And of course, being as big a Pokemon hater as she is, my mother really thought that this movie was terrible, well in my opinion, she can say whatever she wants to say, but I stand by my opinion, I really thought that this movie was an enjoyable time! I thought that this was just as good as the other three were, I found this film very amusing and enjoyable that is really a must-see for all fans of Pokemon!

To all very major, and minor fans of Pokemon, if you really liked the first three movies, then you probably are going to really like this movie, because though it is not the greatest movie ever made, you still are probably really going to enjoy it!

A trip down memory lane

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
11 April 2010

The original gang consisting of Ash, Pikachu, Misty and Brock travel to a forest were legendary Pokémon are said to exist. There they find a young boy named Sam who with the powerful Pokémon Celebi has time-travelled forty years into his future. Together Celebi, Sam and the gang become good friends until a villain known as the 'Iron Masked Marauder' arrives looking to capture Celebi.

I am 21 right now, and I grew up on the wonderful adventures of Pokemon. I cherished every single moment as a child of ten or eleven...I really did.

This movie may not have the greatest of animation or the greatest storyline but it does have one thing that a lot of great animations lack today...Heart. The story is beautifully told and it genuinely makes the audience feel as if there is something truly wonderful out there...

I did not expect the end twist as to who 'Sam' will grow up to be...I was totally caught off guard and you know what, it was a wonderful surprise....The one flaw I saw was...maybe it's because I am a lot older now...But as an audience member, you realise what is happening and then the characters tell you what is happening... But, apart from that a wonderful tale of Man and his Pokemon.