IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Hot babes & Denzel - A Sure Winner!

Author: lastliberal from United States
24 March 2007

Saana Lathan from "Something New" adds the heat to this film that is very familiar to fans of "No Way Out." She won a couple of awards for her hot performance. Denzel Washington, who reprises the KevinCostner role, was nominated for a couple of awards too as he joins with his old director from "Devil in a Blue Dress," Carl Franklin. You know you have a winning story when your predecessor, "The Big Clock" was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

The story is timeless. Can the stooge clear his name or get out of the trap before time runs out. Denzel was magnificent - as he usually is - in playing the game. You always figured the next door was the last, but he manages to get through it. How does it end. Gentle folk, that is for you to find out, and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Oh, did I neglect to mention that Denzel's ex is play by the sexy Eva Mendes from this year's "Ghost Rider." Makes me tempted to go see that one - NOT!

Denzel Gets It!

Author: bless1 from United States
6 March 2007

This was a good movie. The only thing i didn't like was the opening credits. The whole jazz thing they were playing kind of ruined the feel of the movie before you even saw it. Denzel got what he deserved in this movie. Sleeping with a married woman and it back fired on him. It keep you on the edge, wondering how Denzel was going to ease his way out of all the mess he got himself in. He got played by Sanaa Lathan, and the one woman who he had seemingly turned his back (Eva Mendes) on(don't burn your bridges!)came to his rescue in the end. It's definitely worth owning in your DVD collection. It's another great Denzel movie and he always does a good job in the leading roles.

Very Good Movie

Author: willeagle23 from Ohio, United States
28 November 2006

I saw this movie for the 1st time this past weekend. Why did I wait so long to watch it? I was glued to the screen during this whole movie. I don't normally talk to the TV, but I did during this one. I was giving Denzel Washington's character suggestions on what he should do. I do think that Denzel Washington is one of the best actors out their right now. He can play so many different parts and each one being awesome. I also enjoyed John Billingsly character as well. You may know him from the Star Trek: Enterprise series.He was quite funny in this movie. This movie is worth your time so check it out when you get the chance. You will not be disappointed.

Fun, fast-paced suspense!!

Author: abajoue from United States
15 June 2006

Like several other reviewers, when I first saw this film back in 2003, it didn't "wow" me, mostly because I had just seen Denzel in much deeper movies. Granted, "Out of Time" won't (and didn't) win Denzel any Oscars, but, who cares? I recently watched the DVD, and found it to be a fun, sexy thrill-ride of a movie ... sort of a "thinking man's" suspense movie. It's fun to see Mathias "Matt" Whitlock stay one step ahead of everyone else, while trying not to break a sweat. Denzel is one of the few actors with the charisma to pull off this "film-noirish" movie, skillfully managing to be the good/bad/funny guy all at once. Few actors can manage to have such sizzling on-screen chemistry with the actresses playing both his wife AND his paramour, but hey, it's Denzel. The remainder of the cast is not only easy on the eyes, but their acting enhances the sultry, dark tone of the movie. The stunning Sanaa Lathan "owns" her role as the sensual "Black Widow," Anne Harrison, and she's got chemistry to burn with Denzel. Sanaa has always played understatedly sexy female characters, and it's nice to see her embrace and play up her sex appeal in this movie. It would have been easy for Sanaa to turn the character into a out-and-out tart, but her subtle acting style and projection of character through her eyes and spot-on body language create a character with a lot more nuance than this film could have gotten away with. Eva Mendes demonstrates why she's one to watch in Hollywood. Her character also generates scads of sexual tension with Matt, and she slips easily into the role of detective without over-acting the part. She also manages to be sexy without coming off as a bimbo playing at being a cop. Dean Cain is a pleasant surprise as Anne's abusive ex-football-player hubby. His innuendo-laden banter with Matt is a treat to watch. And Matt's medical-examiner sidekick is a real hoot, so much so that, at times, he almost steals the show. (Almost, because it is Denzel, after all). If you are in the mood for some lighthearted, dirty, suspenseful fun, I would recommend "Out of Time."

Woefully Underrated

Author: dbenamor from United States
3 June 2006

On the face, "Out of Time" seems like a generic thriller. And while it is not tremendously original it is still an excellent thriller. It moves fast and never lets up, working from a great script by Dave Collard that keeps things tense without stretching plausibility too much. A beautiful Florida backdrop makes it even more pleasant. This is a great movie. Denzel of course is great as usual. The two female leads, Sanaa Lathan and Eva Mendes are also very good. Beautiful women, combined with a beautiful climate, good acting, solid direction that isn't showy but isn't lacking either, and a good script equals a good movie. John Billingsley is fun as the comic relief. "Out of Time" is breezy fun, perfect for any time, it is pleasant and thrilling.

Excellent thriller with a great story

Author: Travis_Bickle01
30 September 2005

I was very surprised by this movie. I always enjoy Denzel Washington-movies and 'Out Of Time' wasn't an exception on this. It started a bit slow in the beginning, but when the story really gets started, you'll loose completely the track of time. The story was very well written. 'Out Of Time' had a great plot. The cast delivered as well. Like I already mentioned did Denzel Washington a great job. Furthermore I can tell you that Eva Mendes won't disappoint either. They were already casted together in 'Training Day', but in this movie they share a lot more screen time.

I don't see why this movie only has a 6.5 rating. I personally give it an 8. This movie has all the ingredients of a great thriller. I can't think of any reason not to recommend this movie to others. I think everyone will enjoy it. I really look forward to see 'Man On Fire'. That looks like one hell of a movie too. I also saw an other Carl Franklin-movie a while ago. It was 'High Crimes' with Morgan Freeman. I thought that movie had a pretty lame story, so if you didn't like that movie, don't let it be a reason not to see 'Out Of Time'. It's much better and Eva Mendes is amazingly beautiful!

A pretty good film

Author: Michael Stevens (JerzDreamer@yahoo.com) from United States
21 September 2005

I'm surprised that none of the erudite film viewers here have noticed that, despite the lack of a credit, this film is a remake of the John Farrow/Ray Milland film "The Big Clock", which was also remade by Roger Donaldson/Kevin Costner as "No Way Out"...

That said, it faithfully hues to most all of the plot elements of it's predecessors (which is a good thing)and additionally benefits by outstanding acting from all of the leads, particularly Washington and Mendes, who display real chemistry. The only fly in the ointment, acting-wise, is the performance of Dean Cain who once again seems incapable of exercising any subtlety when playing a dark character or a villain.

Denzel Plays Bogey

Author: RARubin from United States
18 May 2005

Denzel Washington has a shtick now that serves him well. He can exaggerate it up or tone it down depending on the intensity of his neo-Bogart-gangster-hero portrayal. Actually, it's good to see an actor pick up on the Bogart persona, the world wary American that doesn't stick his neck out for nobody till the bad guys make him mad.

The locale is the Florida Key, Banyan, and our police chief, separated from a gorgeous detective (only in the movies) is fooling around with a high school sweetheart that is married to a white, ex-professional football quarterback. Keeping the affair a secret from the cuckold is part of the delicious fun, but then things turn ugly when Denzel gets mushy over Sanaa Lathan; indeed, he goes over the line for the beauty.

Now he's broken the law and his own department is on his tail not to mention Federal agents. Can Denzel solve the murder before being arrested for the same murder? It doesn't really make sense, but that Bogart thing keeps you in it until the contrived end.

Another good Denzel Washington movie

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
29 June 2004

Out of Time

Starring: Denzel Washington

Rated PG-13 for Sexual Content, Violence and Some Language

Genre: Drama/Crime/Thriller

Star Rating: ***1/2 out of 5

Matt Lee Whitlock (Denzel Washington) is a respected chief of police in a small town outside of Miami, must solve a vicious double homicide crime before he falls under suspicion. Because Matt is now trying to get himself out of this crime by trying to tell some of the people that he didn't kill anyone! So now Matt has to stay a few steps ahead of the police force and everyone he has trusted in order to find the truth and the real killer! This was an interesting plot especially since they have never made a movie about a chief of police being accused of a homicide until this movie. This is probably another one of my favorite Denzel Washington movies even though he didn't get nominated for this film since he got nominated and won in the movie Training Day. But I still think Denzel Washington is a cool actor!

BOTTOM LINE: INTERESTING

Contrived and ridiculous plot (Spoilers)

Author: oreo_j_r from NJ, USA
18 February 2004

OK, find me a homicide detective that looks like Eva Mendes, whose character is divorcing the Chief of Police who is having an affair, tempers with money confiscated from a drug bust, gets involved in an arson and murder case, lies and obstructs the investigation, kills several of the suspects, and in the end she decides she loves him and wants him back... should I go on?