IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Good stuff!

Author: dstevens-3 from Tallahassee, FL
11 October 2003

Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but I think we have a great state for noir movies. BODY HEAT, WILD THINGS, and I know I've seen others. So as this sexy sweaty movie moved from an arousing opening into its serious first act, and then on into a fun twisty midsection, I could only smile, knowing that my home state had once again provided them Hollywood slicksters with yet another money-making guilty pleasure. Sure you could poke holes (I'm not too sure the badguys' scheme would hold water, and the movie maybe a little too subtle for its own good in suggesting how they did it), but a good time is provided, and that's all we want. Denzel is great as always, the comic relief sidekick is actually funny, the way-too-sexy female police detective actually seems smart enough to be a match for our hero (so often, these roles are one-dimensional window dressing), and Dean Cain lands with Bruce Willis and Keanu Reeves on the short list of actors who can take stereotypical wife-beating supporting roles and make them something interesting. Add to that, great locales, a funky score, and good local casting, and we have ourselves a nice steaming pot of kick-ass Florida noir. Downside... that ending. Of course, I would never discuss the ending to a thriller, but damn! All through the movie we've been given a hero who seemed pretty clever and resourceful walking into an action-movie showdown when he should've just gone to his fellow cops with all the information he had by then. Still, this movie builds up enough goodwill that we can overlook a cliched finale and recommend it online to people we don't know.

A great cast and twisty plot makes this the best thriller to date.

Author: dnorris113
10 October 2003

When I walked into Out of Time, I was expecting a decent thriller. However, to my suprise, this film is the best thriller I have ever seen.

*WARNING: SOME SPOILERS WITHIN POSSIBLY* The story takes place in a small Florida town, where Detective Matt Whitlock (Denzel Washington) has an affair with town local Ann Merai (Sanaa Lathan). Ann then finds out she is dying from cancer and Matt agrees to give Ann money for a treatment to the cnacer, but he takes the money from the police station. Then her house catches on fire, and two dead bodies are found. Presumably they are the bodies of Ann Merai and her abusive husband, Chris (Dean Cain). So for the rest of the story, all the evidence is leading towards Matt even though he is innocent. So Matt tries to cover up all the evidence leading towards him.

Denzel Washington is awesome in the role of Matt Whitlock, who is practically in every scene in the movie unsuprisingly. Matt Whitlock is very nervous and confused throughout the whole film, and Denzel makes us feel every ounce of his confusion and nervousness.

The real stand out performance was Sanaa Lathan as the femme fatale, Ann Merai. Ann is a great character to play, and Sanaa plays her so perfectly. She is a hard character to hate, but a hard character to love. Even though Out of Time isn't a Oscar film, I do think Sanaa Lathan deserves a Best Supporting Actress nomination.

Eva Mendes plays Matt Whitlock's partner and ex-wife, Alex Diaz. While on paper her character doesn't add a whole lot to the story, Eva does make her a stronger screen presence then some other actresses could make Alex out to be.

Dean Cain is also good as Ann's abusive husband. He gets alot to do for the little screen time he has. Dean Cain brings as much personality to Chris as he can.

*SPOILER ALERT* I do have one gripe about this film. After the twist is over, everything ends too happy. Matt gets the girl, he keeps his job, and he even gets a million dollars. The film should have ended after the twist was resolved. *SPOILER END*

Overall, this film is twisty and exciting and doesn't have one boring scene. It definately gets a 9/10. It would have got a 10 if the ending didn't have things end so perfectly for Matt Whitlock.

NOT MUCH OF A STORY ....

Author: webcrawler from New York, New York
4 October 2003

..or one that we haven't seen many times before. Yet this film has its moments of real humor and excitement due in no small part to the presence and talent of Denzel Washington. Eva Mendes who plays his wife this time around (as oppose to his baby's mama in Training Day), displays a dignity that we have never seen in her previous characterizations. Long story short, this is not a blockbuster script and I dont see it going up for any oscar nominations. But when you have a master craftsman like Denzel...well you have to see for yourself. I recommend this film and give it 3 thumbs up.

Better than I expected...

Author: Butterfly7276 from STL
4 October 2003

I'm used to movies being so predictable that I can say the actor's next line before he or she does. I'm also used to the plotline being so reused that I can almost tell you to the minute what will happen next. Going into this movie ("Out of Time"), I just KNEW how it would go. After I picked up my face from the theatre floor after each plot twist, I gave up guessing and continued to enjoy this suspense thriller.

This is a good movie....

Author: lotus_chief from Brooklyn, NY
3 October 2003

Denzel Washington was great in this film....but isn't he great in all of his roles? It's been a while since we've seen him run around in movies (i.e. Devil in a Blue Dress) on the hunt for someone, and its good to see that he still has it. Denzel, as evidenced numerous times, is best when his character is flawed; the way he is able to convince an audience with his acting ability and take them on a thrill ride with his character is second to none. The tactics he had to prevent himself from being discovered was great, it was really done well. Sure, the overall subject matter has been done before, but with Out Of Time, there's a lot of plot twists and turns that's sure to keep anyone entertained. The film builds up plenty of character background in the beginning, but once it kicks into gear it doesn't let up. The seemingly slow beginning is definitely made up for later on in the film. Its good to see Denzel back on screen, his presence in the movie more than makes up for the non-intellectual dramatic nature of it (i.e. Malcolm X or The Hurricane). I will admit that I wasn't really suprised by the ending, but it still was a good ride and worth the price of admission.

***1/2 out of **** stars.

Not too shabby

Author: SpankyUT from Salt Lake City, UT
1 October 2003

I saw "Out of Time" last night, and wasn't disappointed. Granted, it starts out a bit slow, and takes maybe longer than it should've to pick up. But the action was good, the suspense was too. My only complaint was that it was a bit predictable, but it had me on the edge of my seat for portions of the film.

Denzel Washington did a good job with this movie. While it certainly wasn't his best, it wasn't a bad movie. This is a good weekend flick that's fun to watch.

Overall, a fairly competent thriller.

Denzel the Great at his Greatest

Author: gordem1 from Burlington, Ontario Canada
29 September 2003

This is a master at his best. Without a cast of stars, Washington makes this movie into a gripper. You won't be disappointed, trust me! It has suspense, intrigue great acting, my favorite State as a backdrop and my favorite actor making everything very believable. Get to the theater, pay your admission, forget the popcorn, after the first 10 minutes, you won't be able to pick up the kernels. This is e-n-t-e-r-t-a-i-n-m-e-n-t. Washington goes Hollywood....maybe HE should be Governor of California.

Not what I expected, but well worth the cost

Author: keds2300 from Toronto, Canada
11 September 2003

I saw this movie last weekend at the Toronto International Film Festival with the major cast members and the director in the room... but a good 100 feet away!

I thought it started kinda slow, but it was necessary for plot development. Through most of the film, I was literally on the edge of my seat. I don't want to give any of it away so I'll keep this short.

Denzel was excellent and as cute as ever, but Sanaa Lathan and Dean Cain blew me away.

Out Of Time is a fitting title... go see the film, you'll see what I mean.

Doesn't work.

Author: Grumpy Pheasant from Belgium
6 April 2011

The premise doesn't work. The head of police is embroiled in some dirty business and he has to cover his tracks but his girlfriend, who works under him, is on the very case he's involved in, so he has to stay one step of her while still giving her the change... he does so through cheap panicked tricks while delivering poor lies. She suspects nothing. That's a poor premise by any measure.

The plot doesn't work. Most of the gunshots must have hit the script, leaving it hole-filled and incapable of logical exposition. Some characters behave erratically, others are unidimensional, a few choice Deus Ex Machinae crop up and the conclusion is a mess of perfectly timed coincidences few could believe in.

The romance doesn't work. If Out of Time is to be believed, when your couple is going through a rough phase, there's a foolproof three-step plan to regain your lover's affections: first, cheat; second, get involved in a dirty affair; third, put lives at risk while selfishly trying to get yourself off the hook. When pressured, confess the whole thing to a friend but repeatedly lie to your lover about it all.

The comic relief... somewhat works. Chae's character is sometimes a cheesy cliché, sometimes a welcome relief from a tedious scene.

All in all, "Out of Time" shares the property of many below-average thrillers: bearable, but certainly not enjoyable.

The Thomas Crowne Affair it ain't...

Author: steve-3628 from United Kingdom
28 January 2009

Watchable twist and turns thriller which, along the way, contrasts the dynamics of real power with that which is implicit within male-female relationships (hence the reference to the Thomas Crowne Affair). In this film we have, intertwined with the plot, the juxtaposition of the hero's failed (but ultimately resurrected) marriage, with his adulterous and treacherous affair. The film's insurance scam (another echo of the Thomas Crowne Affair), and the police and drugs money antics, fall into second place against the drama and significance of these personal relationships.

Unfortunately the predictable and saccharine denouement of the resurrected marriage fails to convince - largely because the chemistry between the leading man (Denzel Washington) and his adulterous paramour (Sanaa Lathan) far outstrips that between him and his ex-wife (Eva Mendes).