IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

I liked it!

Author: eucalypse from Texas
3 February 2004

I have to disagree with a few of the reviews on this site ... I missed out on seeing this movie in the theatre, and after finally watching it on DVD, I must say I wish I had seen it on the big screen.

Anyway, the movie in short, is about a cop who goes, aherm, diving in another mans pool, and eventually gets caught. The hubby finds out about his shenanigans and concocts a crazy scheme for revenge ... or so we think. There are two great plot twists at least, and they aren't asinine (a.k.a personality switch in Fight Club), or straight up ridiculous (a.k.a John Travolta good guy switch in Basic). As far as pacing (when the movie takes off), think 'Run Lola Run' meets 'Nick of Time'.

I like that Denzel doesnt feel constrained to play one particular kind of role. He's been stretching himself recently, with mixed results. This is one of his better stretches - I like the chemistry in this movie between him and Sanaa Lathan. The ending of the movie is what diminished the flick for me somewhat. I wonder if it was the original the director was looking for, and if not, how much of it ended up on the cutting room floor.

The good. Fast paced thriller, entertaining, Sanaa Lathan AND Eva Mendez ;)

The bad. Some weakness in the storyline (no chief of police is THAT gullible), botched ending.

Summary. Put it on the list!

Excellent movie!!!

Author: Dee from North Carolina
28 January 2004

This movie was great!!!!! I prefer intrigue instead of just blowing things up inexplicably. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat!!! As for the beginning, it was fine with me. Most movies today spend so little time setting up the plot and the characters....something explodes during the opening credits and they're off. This movie was just like a great roller coaster.....starts off slow and lets you get at good look at the amusement park then WHAM!!!! Lots of dips, turns and surprises. If you've watched every movie ever made, I'm sure you can find something old/cliche' in this movie. I've watched a lot of movies and found this to be one of the best!!! I'm glad I have it on DVD as part of my personal collection. And even though the element of surprise is gone, I suspect I'll still enjoy watching it again because of the great cast/scenery. This wasn't the case with "The 6th Sense".

A Fun Whodunit

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
19 January 2004

I have to agree with many people that posted before that this movie started off a little slow and that the plot isn't the most unique story out there, but all in all, Out of Time is still a solid whodunit film. When a double-homicide takes place, things start get interesting for Denzel Washington's character as he tries to solve the mystery all while outrunning his fellow police officers who suspect he did the crime.

Denzel did a great job in this movie as always, but it was his supporting cast that really surprised me. Dean Cain, known for his role in the Superman: Lois & Clark TV series and as host of Ripley's Believe It Or Not, holds his own in a powerful scene where he confronts Denzel's character. That definitely must have been an intimidating task. Sanaa Lathan also does a great job as Washington's mistress. I think I appreciated her acting skills even more when I saw her test screenings on the movie's DVD. Also performing strongly were Eva Mendes as Washington's ex-wife and FBI homicide investigator and John Billingsley as the county coroner and Washington's odd, trusting friend.

Needless to say, there are a lot of good elements out of this film. It's a solid mystery movie that will keep you thinking and guessing, even though the outcome may not make complete sense. To me, though, this is not of much importance as the movie was just fun to watch. It also had its lighter moments with great comedic timing from Billingsley. Overall, Out of Time is a pretty decent flick.

My IMDb Rating: 8/10. My Yahoo! Grade: B+ (Memorable)

DENZEL PLAYS KEVIN

Author: RAY-130 from HUNTINGTON BEACH CA
14 January 2004

Fun movie but almost a carbon copy of " NO WAY OUT" with Kevin Costner.

Naval-police officer is involved with mistress-wife and winds up with buckets of evidence implicating him in her murder and He's in charge,-semi-incharge.

Time is running out as He runs around Washington-Miami attempting to prove

his innocence. Only thing missing is Gene Hackman..

Both these movies are worth the time..

OUT OF TIME - 'STEAMY'!!!!

Author: tricia-16
8 January 2004

i simply loved this stylish 'steamy' fast-paced thriller which kept you guessing the whole way through. The twist at the end was unexpected and kept you on-the-edge-of-your-seat.

A word about the cast (who were brilliant). Special mention should be given to DEAN CAIN as Chris Harrison (a new departure for him as a 'baddy', Sanaa Lathan (a new actress to me) and John Billingsley (another new actor to me)all of whom gave outstanding performance. I suspect the fact that they were appearing opposite the 'great' Denzel Washington (who made the part of Matt look so easy) allowed them to take their performances to another dimension.The only person who looked lost in this movie was Eva Mendes.

The Florida landscape also added to the tension, as it was 'steamy' and made the characters a little crazy (i think).

Kudos to Carl Franklin, the director.

This is my kind of film - more of the same please!!!

Entertaining!

Author: yossarian100 from usa
6 January 2004

At first, I didn't think I was going to like Out of Time because when characters start screwing up big time I find it hard to feel any sympathy for them. I was wrong. Watching Denzel Washington climb back out of the well he just fell into was quite entertaining and quite well done. The movie builds suspense, gives us folks who are enjoyable watch, and is entertaining in the process.

Great Movie! Worth Watching!

Author: charlieque99 from Moreno Valley, California
5 January 2004

**SPOILERS MAY BE AHEAD.

"OUT OF TIME" will be a classic!

It's an erotic-suspense-thriller, a cross between "BODY HEAT" and "NO WAY OUT". This is genius film-making by director, Carl Franklin (who made the classic movie, "ONE FALSE MOVE").

The cast is made up of DENZEL WASHINGTON (Matt Lee Whitlock), EVA MENDES (Alex Diaz Whitlock), DEAN CAIN (Chris Harrison), SANAA LATHAN (Ann Merai Harrison), and JOHN BILLINGSLY (Chae).

Denzel Washington is great as always in this film. He has a presence that just keeps you in awe. He impressed me in this film (as well as other films that he was in like, "TRAINING DAY", "THE BONE COLLECTOR" & "THE HURRICANE").

Eva Mendes is very beautiful looking and kept me glued to the TV. She's a star on the rise.

It was funny seeing Dean Cain as a tough guy (especially after his stint as Superman in TV's "LOIS & CLARK"), but he eventually won me over. Very good actor.

John Billingsly is very funny as the "Always-There-For-You" buddy. His one-liners are a crack-up.

The suspense keeps you on your toes and the sex is arousing. Many twists and turns to keep you guessing.

THIS FILM IS WORTH WATCHING. TWO THUMBS UP!

A great time at the movies!

Author: yawn-2 from San Francisco, California
30 October 2003

Sure you've seen this story before, but not with such a great cast, score, direction and cool locale. If you are the sort of filmgoer who digs plot and crisp acting, you'll love this. If you want to see things explode, forget it. It fits into the same category as the "Italian Job" remake - a expertly made pure entertainment flick, but with the emphasis on character rather than action. If every made-for-HBO movie was this good, I'd never leave the house. A solid 8, easy...based on this, I'm going to check out Carl Franklin's other films.

Fast paced, O'Henry ending! Great!

Author: laurelp52 from United States
13 October 2003

At first I thought the plot was predictable, to my delight, it wasn't! Denzel gives a great performance! It was a great plot and good surprise ending. You keep thinking he's going to get caught, but manages by a hair until it looks as if...he's "out of time". LOVED IT!

Denzel Washington maybe out of time, but not out of an enjoyable thriller.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
12 October 2003

This movie has it. Humor, tension, and suspence. Matt Whitlock(Denzel Washington) who is the chief of police in Miami, discovers that a woman he has been secretly seeing (Sanaa Lathan) and her husband (Dean Cain) where burned to death in there house. But as he begins to investigate, he must get rid of the evidence of their affair, before his soon to be ex-wife(Eva Mendes) also a detective, begin to close in on him, and they name him the big suspect. Okay maybe the plot seems similar to No Way Out(1987), but in some ways it's different. It has some cool plot twists. Denzel is memorable as always, so is the rest of the cast. Enjoy the film Denzel fans.