IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

full of tension

Author: 6slick7 from Ireland
10 March 2005

I saw this last Monday. For me it worked. I was smiling when walking back to chartbusters with the video. A sign of a good film for me is if there's still a reaction, however slight, when I'm not even watching it. When I first saw the trailer for this, I assumed that Denzel was a bad cop. I was wrong. Although he did bad things, you could see that his motives were for what he considered the greater good. I only wanted to see it because the beautiful and sexy Sanaa Lathan is in it. Some say she should have been cast as the wife in the movie but I thought her carachter's projected vulnerability made her the ideal woman for the part she played. The tension and suspense are kept going until the end. Normally I become frustrated with a film with a lot of suspense, but this one had me gripped the whole way through. You are only told what you need to know and this would have had a slightly adverse affect on most other films, in terms of carachter development and story/plot lines. And although the end does have a slightly "tying up the loose ends" feel to it, with so much tension building you need that gentle release. The plot centres around the chief of police in a small Florida town, his soon-to-be ex wife investigating a murder for which he might be implicated, Sanaa Lathan as his mistress with an abusive husband who finds out she has terminal cancer, drugs money stored in the police station as evidence and the temptation to use it to pay for her treatment. It definitely got a reaction from me. Like a part where I found myself shouting at the screen:"Don't go there you stupid idiot! She Can't be trusted", or words to that effect. If you haven't seen it you should. Well worth the rental price.

Slow paced thriller

Author: Luigi Di Pilla from Riehen, Switzerland
18 December 2004

This movie fulfilled nearly my expectations but the story begins very slow and I waited very long until something happens. I mean there is a simply love affair in the first half and then there were only two highlights in the last part. For all Denzel Washington fans here he was interesting in this role. It's not his best performance but he delivers at least an entertaining cat and mouse play. Enjoy it anyway and be prepared for a surprisingly end. Rating: 6/10 that matches nearly the IMDb vote of actually 6.5.

If you liked this I recommend the other better Washington movie called JOHN Q.

Good but easy to figure out

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
20 October 2004

**HERE BE SPOILERS**

Matt Whitlock's (Washington) marriage is on the verge of breaking up. Practically it is already over. So he is having an affair with Ann (Lathan) who is in a troubled marriage of her own. In addition, Matt, who is the police chief, just caught some smugglers and confiscated drugs, and a lot of money, now in a safe at the police station. Ann is then diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer, and is given half a year to live. There are treatments, but they're very expensive. Ann, not wanting her jealous husband to cash in on her, newly raised, life insurance changes the beneficiary to Matt. Against his own better judgment, thinking no one will ever miss them, Matt takes the drug-money out of the safe and gives them to Ann, telling her to meat him at his house later that evening. But Ann never comes. He goes to her house, but is seen by a neighbor. Not wanting to be taken as a burglar, nor revealing his affair, he quickly goes away. The morning after he is called to Ann's house, which is now burned to the ground (arson), with two persons inside probably Ann and her husband. Now Matt is in trouble. He had an affair with Ann (resulting in a lot of calls ending up on the phone record, for instance), a witness can place him at the scene of murder, and he has no alibi. In short, he has a motive and time to do it. And the money is missing. His soon-to-be-ex-wife, Alex (Mendes), now a homicide detective takes charge of the investigation. Matt is in serious trouble and as he struggles not to become the prime suspect and starts to alter evidence, just getting him into deeper trouble. And then DEA Agent Stark (Loughlin) calls him up and wants the missing drug-money for his investigation. So, to sum up, he is in the middle of a divorce, having an affair with the victim of an arson, to which he soon will be the prime suspect. He got to solve that arson to acquit himself, and he has to retrieve the money he stole and turn it over to Agent Stark. And no one must find out. It will be a busy day.

As you can see the story is rather complicated, and complicates itself as we go along. But it is never hard to follow and it is entertaining to see Matt getting out of one hard spot into to the next one. So the story is very nice. The cast, with Denzel Washington and Eva Mendes in the leads are very good along with the supporting cast, especially John Billingsley as Matt's good friend Chae. However, there is one flaw, and it is rather major. Even if the story twists and turns and is very entertaining to see, it was not hard to solve the ending, which was done very quickly. It was not hard to be a few steps ahead of the story and it was ridiculously easy, as always, to figure out which boy will end up with which girl. Unfortunately, in a murder mystery, this is a major flaw, and lowers the grade quite a bit. And why did it have two separate opening credits? And with the ending that is, it actually raises questions about the story (trying not to say too much here) that I didn't see the answers to. They should have been there to wrap up the story nicely, but maybe I just missed them. Still, with those flaws, it was entertaining to watch.

Main question left unanswered (SPOILER)

Author: Phidippides from Minnesota
16 August 2004

The adultery aside, I thought this film moved well toward the middle and that some of the dialogue (especially when Denzel is trying to cover his tracks in the office) created a good deal of suspense. Had this suspense continued in a logical manner until the end, I would have enjoyed the movie more.

My main problem, however, is that Denzel's high school sweetheart, with whom he was having an affair, simply turns on him in a twist which was not only unforeseeable to me (the viewer), but also too far-fetched. Soon after that is revealed, ex-wife wants Denzel back, and Denzel wants her back as well. Surely, there was something between the two of them that caused the separation in the first place. How easily Denzel gets over 1) mistresses' attempt to kill him and 2) ex-wife's filing and service of process of divorce papers on him. In the world of make-believe, I suppose that this may flow; in my mind, however, it all seemed a bit too "convenient".

Believable

Author: kathie_hansen
30 July 2004

I liked watching Denzel be a regular person, not a hero and not in an outlandish plot. Sometimes I find the plot in some movies outshines the actors and is too complex. His acting was engaging and captured you from the start.It elicited a lot of emotion and tension without a lot of action and adventure, which I get tired of. It felt like you were him and you were in it together, and thats the best movie to me. When he was about to get caught you felt like you were about to get caught and he always came out ahead which was very pleasing. I watch it every time I see it on TV.

I liked it!

Author: eucalypse from Texas
3 February 2004

I have to disagree with a few of the reviews on this site ... I missed out on seeing this movie in the theatre, and after finally watching it on DVD, I must say I wish I had seen it on the big screen.

Anyway, the movie in short, is about a cop who goes, aherm, diving in another mans pool, and eventually gets caught. The hubby finds out about his shenanigans and concocts a crazy scheme for revenge ... or so we think. There are two great plot twists at least, and they aren't asinine (a.k.a personality switch in Fight Club), or straight up ridiculous (a.k.a John Travolta good guy switch in Basic). As far as pacing (when the movie takes off), think 'Run Lola Run' meets 'Nick of Time'.

I like that Denzel doesnt feel constrained to play one particular kind of role. He's been stretching himself recently, with mixed results. This is one of his better stretches - I like the chemistry in this movie between him and Sanaa Lathan. The ending of the movie is what diminished the flick for me somewhat. I wonder if it was the original the director was looking for, and if not, how much of it ended up on the cutting room floor.

The good. Fast paced thriller, entertaining, Sanaa Lathan AND Eva Mendez ;)

The bad. Some weakness in the storyline (no chief of police is THAT gullible), botched ending.

Summary. Put it on the list!

Excellent movie!!!

Author: Dee from North Carolina
28 January 2004

This movie was great!!!!! I prefer intrigue instead of just blowing things up inexplicably. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat!!! As for the beginning, it was fine with me. Most movies today spend so little time setting up the plot and the characters....something explodes during the opening credits and they're off. This movie was just like a great roller coaster.....starts off slow and lets you get at good look at the amusement park then WHAM!!!! Lots of dips, turns and surprises. If you've watched every movie ever made, I'm sure you can find something old/cliche' in this movie. I've watched a lot of movies and found this to be one of the best!!! I'm glad I have it on DVD as part of my personal collection. And even though the element of surprise is gone, I suspect I'll still enjoy watching it again because of the great cast/scenery. This wasn't the case with "The 6th Sense".

A Fun Whodunit

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
19 January 2004

I have to agree with many people that posted before that this movie started off a little slow and that the plot isn't the most unique story out there, but all in all, Out of Time is still a solid whodunit film. When a double-homicide takes place, things start get interesting for Denzel Washington's character as he tries to solve the mystery all while outrunning his fellow police officers who suspect he did the crime.

Denzel did a great job in this movie as always, but it was his supporting cast that really surprised me. Dean Cain, known for his role in the Superman: Lois & Clark TV series and as host of Ripley's Believe It Or Not, holds his own in a powerful scene where he confronts Denzel's character. That definitely must have been an intimidating task. Sanaa Lathan also does a great job as Washington's mistress. I think I appreciated her acting skills even more when I saw her test screenings on the movie's DVD. Also performing strongly were Eva Mendes as Washington's ex-wife and FBI homicide investigator and John Billingsley as the county coroner and Washington's odd, trusting friend.

Needless to say, there are a lot of good elements out of this film. It's a solid mystery movie that will keep you thinking and guessing, even though the outcome may not make complete sense. To me, though, this is not of much importance as the movie was just fun to watch. It also had its lighter moments with great comedic timing from Billingsley. Overall, Out of Time is a pretty decent flick.

My IMDb Rating: 8/10. My Yahoo! Grade: B+ (Memorable)

DENZEL PLAYS KEVIN

Author: RAY-130 from HUNTINGTON BEACH CA
14 January 2004

Fun movie but almost a carbon copy of " NO WAY OUT" with Kevin Costner.

Naval-police officer is involved with mistress-wife and winds up with buckets of evidence implicating him in her murder and He's in charge,-semi-incharge.

Time is running out as He runs around Washington-Miami attempting to prove

his innocence. Only thing missing is Gene Hackman..

Both these movies are worth the time..

OUT OF TIME - 'STEAMY'!!!!

Author: tricia-16
8 January 2004

i simply loved this stylish 'steamy' fast-paced thriller which kept you guessing the whole way through. The twist at the end was unexpected and kept you on-the-edge-of-your-seat.

A word about the cast (who were brilliant). Special mention should be given to DEAN CAIN as Chris Harrison (a new departure for him as a 'baddy', Sanaa Lathan (a new actress to me) and John Billingsley (another new actor to me)all of whom gave outstanding performance. I suspect the fact that they were appearing opposite the 'great' Denzel Washington (who made the part of Matt look so easy) allowed them to take their performances to another dimension.The only person who looked lost in this movie was Eva Mendes.

The Florida landscape also added to the tension, as it was 'steamy' and made the characters a little crazy (i think).

Kudos to Carl Franklin, the director.

This is my kind of film - more of the same please!!!