IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

It seemed like a good movie, but why do I feel like it's not that original?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
18 April 2006

I've seen tons and tons of the surprise shocking endings in films: The Sixth Sense, Life of David Gale, High Crimes, Kiss the Girls, etc., etc., etc. Out of Time over all is a decent thriller that you don't mind watching on a Monday night, but there are some unrealistic moments that I just didn't buy. The "love story" between Eva and Denzel wasn't clicking, they just didn't have any passion or chemistry that grabbed me. The sidekick type of guy was more annoying than witty and a character that makes you feel something. But there are some very exciting moments, and like I said, it keeps you going until the end. So, judge for yourself.

As generic as the title (**)

Author: Jason Alley (samurai1978@aol.com) from Sacramento
19 October 2003

Everything about this movie, like the trailer and even the title, seemed like it would be generic and mediocre. Then, I found out it was directed by Carl Franklin, who directed the sensational, gritty suspense indie "One False Move" back in 1992. Then, the reviews were generally pretty positive. So I thought hey, maybe it's not so generic and mediocre.

Guess what? It's generic and mediocre.

Denzel Washington plays a cop who gets a big fat con pulled on him and tries to right the situation. That's about it. If you've seen any episode of any cop show ever you can figure out what's going on and how it's going to end. Which would be fine if the particular situation was interesting, or if the characters were compelling, or even if it was just fast-paced, but it's none of those things.

Franklin directs with a smooth and steady hand as always, but it's too long and slow, and worst of all, just so ORDINARY. There's not anything here even remotely unique or surprising and I wasn't emotionally involved in the story at any time.

Franklin has never really followed up "One False Move" with anything as worthwhile, and unfortunately still hasn't.

This is like a Summer beach read. Not bad, but also not memorable.

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
17 May 2014

What really stands out for me about "Out of Time" is just how nicely it captures the hot and steamy locale of coastal Florida in the Summer, right down the sex scenes (with a score that perfectly suits). You can just feel the humidity. But aside from the stunning Eva Mendez, that's about it. The movie does kick into moderate gear with Denzel running interference between police and the mounting evidence of his involvement in the double homicide - which becomes preposterous at times, but solid direction keeps things moving. Still, the coincidences are absurd, and rob the movie of any depth. Plus, it's Dean Cain as the villain; a recent graduate of the Hasselhoff School of Goateed Bad Guy Acting.

Good acting saves otherwise simple plot

Author: jb_campo from United States
26 March 2014

I thought Out of Time was OK, mostly because of Denzel's acting. In this flick, he portrays a local police chief with questionable morals. He drinks on duty, he plays a bit loose with evidence, and then, there's the women in his life.

Eva Mendes looks absolutely stunning here. However, I found her a bit miscast as Denzel's soon-to-be ex-wife, now ex-cop, promoted to Detective. I found her unconvincing as a detective, but give her high grades for effort. I think she just lacked the acting skills to keep up with Denzel.

On the other hand, the other woman in the story, Sanaa, she was terrific. She portrays Denzel's high school sweetheart, and I guess they split, but now, she's back in his life. She is apparently dying, and Denzel starts feeling sorry for her, and he does things he shouldn't do to help her. then things get out of control and Denzel is trying to stay one step ahead of the investigation while he's trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

His medical partner, Chae, John Billingsley, was also terrific. He has Denzel's back at all times, and portrays this likable, but annoying, gadfly-like character who kind of annoys you, but intrigues you at the same time. Chae plays a real important role at many times in this movie, particularly the end.

However, despite good acting, the plot is somewhat thin. Since you know that Denzel is innocent, there's no mystery thinking that maybe he is guilty. See the movie, Gone, where at least you were wondering if Amanda Seyfried was crazy or not. Once you knew Denzel was innocent, it wasn't a big leap to figure out who was behind all this mess. So a weak plot spoiled otherwise strong acting and interesting characters.

Based on all these factors, I give it a 6 out of 10. Worth a watch, just adjust your expectations to a B grade movie and you'll be fine.

Great hot noir style

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 February 2014

Matt Lee Whitlock (Denzel Washington) is the police chief of Florida small town Banyan Key. He just cracked a big drug case confiscating $450k. He's getting divorced from fellow police officer Alex (Eva Mendes) and having an affair with Anne Merai Harrison (Sanaa Lathan) who is separated from violent husband Chris (Dean Cain). Anne has just been diagnosed with cancer, and Matt takes the $450k for Anne's treatment. However, the money, Anne and Chris all burnt up in a suspicious fire.

This has a great noir sweaty style. Matt's questionable morality is interesting. I prefer his problems be forced upon him. However most of his problems are self-inflicted by his lack of judgment. There is a lot of things that needs to be overlook in this movie. While I like the style, the story needs a little help.

Watch it for Denzel

Author: sudarsan karki (sudsmania) from Nepal
16 October 2013

Are you a fan of Denzel Washington? Yes? Then this is your movie! You've got Denzel at one of his best performances playing the role of the Chief of a Police Department.

The plot of this movie is quite simple. But the events that occur within are what makes this movie outstanding. The movie has been presented so meticulously- it just keeps you waiting for 'what next?'

Denzel Washington is probably the best character to have done justice to the role. Eva Mendes is as stunning as usual. The character 'Chae' is quite cool too. All in all, this movie is awesome! I just can't imagine any other character than Denzel!!

Heart stopping Thriller but after first 35 minutes

Author: sankhan99 from Pakistan
8 October 2013

I believe in short reviews.

Its a treat. If you survive first 35 minutes then you are on joy ride in front row of roller coaster. Its written very well. Director has done great job but after first 35 minutes. But in first 35 minutes, I think they have wasted much time in trying to build story and if you are watching this movie like me on DVD, you will be cursing yourself and thinking about ejecting DVD at any minute. Thats one weak point of-course in my point of view.

Denzel is great actor and he acted very well. Eva was good but Sanaa Lathan was OK. Last but not the least "John Billingsley", he justified his role.

Last words, very gripping, heart throbbing and intense thriller and you will not feel like "Out of time" while watching this movie.

Flawed but still exciting suspense film; Denzel is excellent (as always)

Author: vincentlynch-moonoi from United States
6 October 2013

The question here is who is the bad guy...who is the badder guy. And who is going to win. It's that simple.

Denzel Washington is the chief of police in a small town along the Florida Keys. He has $450,000 in drug money in a safe...the booty from a drug bust that is both local and federally related. He is getting divorced from his wife, a homicide detective (Eva Mendes), and is currently dating a young woman played by Sanaa Lathan, whose husband (Dean Cain) is a security guard. Lathan has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and Denzel decides to give her the drug money to buy experimental cancer drugs, instead of turning it over to the feds. After doing so, her body and her husband's body -- and the money (?) -- are apparently found in their burned out house. Circumstantially, Denzel will appear guilty, and in part he is, but not of murder. And then the discoveries begin -- a fake doctor and a very alive supposedly burned to death couple.

In terms of plot, what I like about this film is that the twists and turns begin early on, not just near the end...and they seem logical instead of convenient. BUT -- as Denzel gets almost caught over and over and over and over and over, you finally begin to say, "Too much." So, the plot is just a bit too much, but the performances make up for that. Denzel is as solid as ever here, and it's interesting how the director let the 5 o'clock shadow grow during the darkest period when we begin to wonder just how bad a guy he really is. Although the two female leads will never be favorites of mine, they both did very well here -- Eva Mendes and Sanaa Lathan. Dean Cain, who I feel is an under-appreciated actor -- does well as one of the villains, though he doesn't get a lot of screen time. John Billingsley is interesting as the best friend of the chief.

Every movie has its flaws, and this film is no exception. Nevertheless, it's a decidedly good suspense film and I recommend it.

Time's up

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
26 August 2013

Denzel Washington here gets to play the chief of police in Hicksville, Florida which means he can walk about in garish Hawaiian shirts, drink on duty and take time off for a little fantasy cop and victim routine with his new girl-friend. At police HQ, he's holding the substantial proceeds of a drugs bust in the office safe where we also learn his estranged wife works with him and has just been promoted to detective. Outside of work, we then see that his new girl-friend's husband mistreats her and of course that he and Denzel don't get on. When his girl-friend tells him she's suffering from terminal cancer and wants to make him her sole beneficiary of her million dollar life insurance, cutting out the husband, cue Denzel getting sucked, no make that suckered into risking his career to help her, with all the ingredients apparently in place for this particular would-be suspense movie to twist and turn its way to its violent but not too surprising conclusion.

The problem with the movie is that there is far too much going on. It lays on the exposition with a man-sized trowel, half the twists (and there are a few) are obvious in the main, with the confluence of the plot strands leading up to to the big finish as predictable as rain in Scotland.

Denzel's character shows a Holmes-like mind with his uncanny quick thinking in diverting attention from the police incriminating evidence arriving to the office by e-mail and then as if that wasn't enough he demonstrates superhuman physical prowess in managing the usual Hollywood trick of hanging out of a window by one-hand and then miraculously pulling himself up after the bad guy's come a cropper.

The film purports to be fast-paced and thrilling but in truth it's all over the place, with as I said, Washington's numerous escapes from danger defying belief and in the end I'm sure boring and confusing him as by the end he appears nonplussed by events occurring around him. Eva Mendes doesn't get much chance to shine either as the Chief's estranged wife.

With too little humour, a story-line borrowed from "Die Hard" crossed with "Hawaii 5-0", this movie fails to make a big impression and it doesn't help that the lead actors barely engage with the storyline either.

Taught thriller with tension and tenacity

Author: djderka from United States
3 July 2012

The interplay between the characters in this taught thriller is delicious.

In a small coastal Florida town, Chief Whitlock is enjoying a romantic liaison with the smoldering Ann Harrison while he is temporally separated from his wife, Alex Whitlock, who is a detective on the same small police force. No problem until the Chief comes to believe that Ann needs some 1/2 million bucks to undergoing a special cancer treatment, so he retrieves some confiscated drug money to do so. Uh, oh soon he learns that he was set up and the feds are closing in to count the money, which he doesn't have and as Alex is constantly breathing down his neck for answers to an arson and other issues.

Chae is Whitlock's friend and their playfulness and support for each other is a nice reprieve from the "argumentative" cops in 48 hrs and such films. Ann is the hot film noir babe, Alex the hot stylish homicide cop and John the somewhat goofy medical examiner.

Denzel is superb in what is a standard film noir thriller. The plot is simple and not overly complicated like Sleven, which has more twists and turns than The Beast in Kings Island. And no forever car chases, used when scripts run out of steam. Each scene here is necessary and with progression to the storyline. There is very little "down time" for a rest, but constant forward interest in the Chief's dilemma.

Served simply and straight up like two eggs with bacon on the side, this thriller abounds with tension as the Chief is racing against time to retrieve the federal money and trying to deal with a nagging, annoying "separated" wife that seems to put a road block into his every move. This is a richly textured movie with a nice subtle sound track. I liked the "rattlesnake tail shake" sound as he neared danger.

I am so happy the director, Carl Franklin, didn't use the unnecessary "jumpy" visual effects in Quake's editing program that were so prevalent and distracting in Man on Fire.

I have seen this movie several times and although I have the DVD, I watch it whenever it appears on TV. Hope you enjoy the story, direction, music track, editing, and acting as much as I did.