IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Nice movie but due to 'high action' previews, I was let down!

Author: Victoria from USA
28 October 2003

I just feel that they put all the action in the previews to try to hook us into seeing the movie. I think I would have enjoyed the movie much more if I hadn't been led to believe that it was so action packed. It had a rather good story and this should have been hyped on the previews and let the action be second to the story. All I can say is, I'm glad I have a job that pays my way to go to movies sometimes because I'd have been rather upset had I forked over full price. Maybe not so much had I gone to a matinee. I will probably buy it (mostly for the scenery) but only after I can get it for half price. Bottom line watch if for the story, not for the action.

Not the worst, but not the best

Author: Arnot from Los Angeles, CA
5 October 2003

This film had excellent potential, but failed to generate any momentum. It could have been a great movie, but ended up being an o.k. movie. There was no real

suspense involved.

If felt as if I had seen the whole movie before - everything was far to familiar & far to clichéd. It is not a bad movie, but it is also not worth spending $30 on either (two tickets + popcorn, coke + parking). My suggestion is not to waste your money on watching this film in the theater, but wait until it comes out on DVD.

The Thomas Crowne Affair it ain't...

Author: steve-3628 from United Kingdom
28 January 2009

Watchable twist and turns thriller which, along the way, contrasts the dynamics of real power with that which is implicit within male-female relationships (hence the reference to the Thomas Crowne Affair). In this film we have, intertwined with the plot, the juxtaposition of the hero's failed (but ultimately resurrected) marriage, with his adulterous and treacherous affair. The film's insurance scam (another echo of the Thomas Crowne Affair), and the police and drugs money antics, fall into second place against the drama and significance of these personal relationships.

Unfortunately the predictable and saccharine denouement of the resurrected marriage fails to convince - largely because the chemistry between the leading man (Denzel Washington) and his adulterous paramour (Sanaa Lathan) far outstrips that between him and his ex-wife (Eva Mendes).

Surprisingly good

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
19 January 2006

I saw this not that long ago, and was pleasantly surprised with the film. I had expected to see something dull and uninteresting, but the truth is, it was really good. Now, you're probably wondering why I only gave it a six, if it's really good. Well, it's not the best, either. It exceeded my expectations, but it still didn't live up to my standards.

Denzel Washington plays a Floridian chief of police, who's life is to change in one day's mistake. He has only a small amount of time before he can fix, what he's caused. Without giving away what the film is specifically about, suffice it to say, it's a good watch. There are some chase scenes, sex scenes, and intense scenes; all mixed in for a hot film, with a few surprises in between time.

I would suggest it for a rental, and really nothing more than that. I for one, liked it, but not well enough to keep it in my personal collection. But, check it out. It's a good Friday night flick.

Contrived and ridiculous plot (Spoilers)

Author: oreo_j_r from NJ, USA
18 February 2004

OK, find me a homicide detective that looks like Eva Mendes, whose character is divorcing the Chief of Police who is having an affair, tempers with money confiscated from a drug bust, gets involved in an arson and murder case, lies and obstructs the investigation, kills several of the suspects, and in the end she decides she loves him and wants him back... should I go on?

Two selves in the narrative

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
31 May 2016

This is wholly typical to look at as "wrong man" thriller but makes more interesting sense when you take stock of it as modern noir. It begins with a man who is going around with someone's wife. He may be well meaning and the husband an abusive dolt, but there's something not quite right here and will need to be settled.

So his tiptoeing in the dark takes noir shape in a narrative where he finds himself at the mercy of a plot where he was only being used, a character in a story prepared by cunning authors to exploit what he thought was love. The main tool for giving shape to turmoil is that the anxiety is so overwhelming, he splinters in two; one where he is pretending to work the case where he has been framed as culprit, the other where he must rush to prevent himself from being outed, tinkering with the story, changing clues.

I like how it is all laid out in the very first scene, the scene of the narrator's emergence into the noir world; he has answered a call for a break-in to someone's house, she says it was someone exactly like him, he tries to seduce, then she does. Then we pull back to have it revealed that they know each other and were only playing, the call an excuse for the affair. But of course in due time we get to note that she was seducing outside the seduction, the affair an excuse.

Along the way we have Florida as the evocative backdrop, some ordinary mechanics of tension as he fights to reclaim control.

It's brought back full circle in the end where he emerges from the nightmare of this illicit affair and, having realized the hazard to his soul, is relieved to be taken back by his estranged wife (she was mightily impressed that he didn't kill and steal, okay). So with Denzel on the cover this might seem like any thriller, but it's from a noir genealogy. Denzel and this filmmaker had made a more alluring noir prior in Devil in a Blue Dress, this is more mechanical.

Noir Meter: 3/4 | Neo-noir or post noir? Neo

A missed remake of No Way Out

Author: Lars Lendale
1 May 2016

******************* SPOILERS ******************!!!!!!!!!!

Out of time/No way Out. The word "out" sounds awfully similar and there are multiple scenes that are taken from No Way Out. First, you can tell the writers loved that movie (and rightfully so, it's a great suspense movie) and decided to inspire themselves to write a sort of same type of movie. That's why when Matthias gets angry and shouts "just do it !!" that same line is copied off Sam, the operator, who shouts to his colleague "just do it !!". Coincidence ?

Not so much, I'm telling you, there are so many elements that are copied off No Way Out, it's ridiculous. The chief befriending the medical examiner and admitting him the plot conspiracy, just like in No Way Out, when Tom admits he's the boyfriend in the polaroid and the investigation is a cover up. At the same time Matthias has DEA goons on his back, just like Tom has Death Squad killers following him to the bathroom. AND, most of all, the action takes place in the same day !!

Is it a bad movie ? Yes, for too many obvious No Way Out spin offs. Is it entertaining ? Yes, there is suspense, there is an outrageous fight between Denzell and a con who is plotting against him, but the sex scenes are lame, the cast is a B movie cast, Mendes is good but not great, Washington is very good but the movie is really a TV production that doesn't do him justice. OK granted, there are big productions that are as about as cheesy - but the ending, please, seriously ? In 2003 that's what you come up with ? That's a totally unnecessary ending, that is nice for young girls, but it's really not very good.

If you have nothing to watch on a week day evening, then watch it, but other than that, it's forgettable.

Silly, predictable Story

Author: nicholls_les from United Kingdom
11 April 2016

Denzel Washington, Eva Mendes, Sanaa Lathan, Dean Cain and John Billingsley are all good in this very predictable Movie.

I guessed the plot pretty early on when the Dean Caine character looked at the body in the Morgue. Sometimes you can forgive little mistakes in an otherwise good Movie, but the way that Denzel's character acted once he realised he had been played by the woman he was having an affair with and her husband was just plain silly. All he had to do was confess what had happened to his ex, but instead he embarks on ever more silly attempts to cover his tracks. We should remember that he is supposed to be Chief of Police and would know his silly plans would not work.

It is a shame that the story was not more believable because with such a good cast it could have been a great movie.

Pretty ordinary to be honest.

Author: patrick powell from United Kingdom
14 January 2016

Carl Franklin is good, but this isn't one of his best. Training Day is standout, but Out Of Time is pretty much a B movie with some fancy camera-work and a corny ending. Denzel Washington is also good, and here delivers what Denzel Washington can deliver, though I would like to see him in a more challenging role which demands he make an effort and doesn't just give us Denzel Washington.

To be honest B movie with fancy camera-work says it all, although there were some good as well as some bad B movies. As for the plot of Out Of Time, you've seen it a hundred times before and although there are some moments of suspense when our hero Denzel, who has been a little foolish though not much gets in far too deep and has to think fast to get out of it again, there ain't much here you will remember in two days time.

On reflection too much doesn't hang together, not least the romance between chief Washington and his soon to be ex-wife Detective Mendes. Either part could have been played by any number of other actors and the film wouldn't have suffered unduly. Oh, well. Give it a whirl if you have nothing better to do, and if you have you haven't really missed much.

If it weren't so beautifully filmed in Florida, it wouldn't be much at all.

Author: carbuff
3 May 2015

Well-acted formulaic thriller with obligatory twists. It's difficult to write a long review without spoilers, and it doesn't really merit an extensive one either, because, at heart, this film is so unexceptional. For me it's a 6 to 7, but I'm going with 7, because of how beautifully it was filmed in Florida.

I really, really loved the locations, the camera work, and the pacing of the film, all of which I thought were excellent and made this film a genuine pleasure to watch, even though in all other respects it was so ordinary. Watch it for the travelogue aspects in addition to the storyline and you too might find that it is worth the time.