IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"Time is on my side,Yes it is."

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
5 June 2014

With a poll soon to be held on IMDb's Classic Film board for the best titles of 2003,I started to search round for an 03 Neo-Noir title to view for the year.Struggleing to find any interesting sounding Neo-Noirs from 03,I suddenly remembered a wonderful review that I had recently read on IMDb's Film Noir board,which led to me discovering,that I was thankfully not out of time,to view a Neo-Noir from 2003.

The plot:

Celebrating a successful arrest which led to a large gangs dirty money being captured,small town cop Matt Whitlock decides to mark the occasion,by spending time with his mistress Ann Merai Harrison.Stopping any sense of fun for either of them,Harrison is told that she has cancer,and that she only has 5 months to live.Originally planning to use her medical insurance to fund the only medicine that the doctor says may save her life,Harrison is left in shock,when she finds out that her husband (Chris) has changed the insurance,so that the only way anyone can get to the cash in Ann's name,is if she dies.

Furious by the corner which his lover has been placed in,Whitlock decides to take the only option on the table:stealing the dirty money from the police station,and giving it to Harrison so that she can afford her medicine.Along with her medicine cash,Whitlock also arranges for Harrison to change the details on her insurance,so that Whitlock can get hold of the cash and give it to Harrison,behind her husband's back.

Arranging to meet up with Harrison later that night, (in order to sort out the insurance details) Whitlock instead receives an emergency call about Harrison's house being on fire.Rushing to the scene,Whitlock discovers that he has signed up for a far from risk-free insurance,when the remains of the burnt out house reveal no sign of the Harrison's or the dirty money.

View on the film:

For the screenplay of the movie,writer Dave Collard combines Neo-Noir with crime caper elements,with the Neo-Noir smoke being scatted as Whitlock begins to relies about what murky dealings he has got himself involved in.Despite the plot having a number of clear flaws, (how did none of the other cops spot the phone number!) Collard uses the movies crime caper side to give the title a delightfully playfully edge,with Whitlock having to go from dodging eyewitnesses to jumping out of windows,in the hope of keeping the Harrison's disappearance and the dirty money loss under wraps.

Shooting on location in Miami,director Carl Franklin (who would not direct a film again for 10 years!) perfectly matches Collard's tones by soaking the movie in warm pastor tones which gradually darken as Whitlock sinks deeper into the Neo-Noir world.Along with the eye- catching colours,Franklin also uses sharp whip-pans to superbly show the desperation that is starting to take a hold on Whitlock.

Smashing his Clark Kent glasses to the ground,Dean Cain gives an excellent performance as Chris Harrison,with Cain splattering a wide smirk across Harrison's face,as he becomes increasingly suspicious over his wife and Whitlock's activities.Joining a wonderfully smooth Denzel Washington,John Billingsley delivers a fantastic performance as the only cop who will try to stop time running out for Whitlock.

Taught thriller with tension and tenacity

Author: djderka from United States
3 July 2012

The interplay between the characters in this taught thriller is delicious.

In a small coastal Florida town, Chief Whitlock is enjoying a romantic liaison with the smoldering Ann Harrison while he is temporally separated from his wife, Alex Whitlock, who is a detective on the same small police force. No problem until the Chief comes to believe that Ann needs some 1/2 million bucks to undergoing a special cancer treatment, so he retrieves some confiscated drug money to do so. Uh, oh soon he learns that he was set up and the feds are closing in to count the money, which he doesn't have and as Alex is constantly breathing down his neck for answers to an arson and other issues.

Chae is Whitlock's friend and their playfulness and support for each other is a nice reprieve from the "argumentative" cops in 48 hrs and such films. Ann is the hot film noir babe, Alex the hot stylish homicide cop and John the somewhat goofy medical examiner.

Denzel is superb in what is a standard film noir thriller. The plot is simple and not overly complicated like Sleven, which has more twists and turns than The Beast in Kings Island. And no forever car chases, used when scripts run out of steam. Each scene here is necessary and with progression to the storyline. There is very little "down time" for a rest, but constant forward interest in the Chief's dilemma.

Served simply and straight up like two eggs with bacon on the side, this thriller abounds with tension as the Chief is racing against time to retrieve the federal money and trying to deal with a nagging, annoying "separated" wife that seems to put a road block into his every move. This is a richly textured movie with a nice subtle sound track. I liked the "rattlesnake tail shake" sound as he neared danger.

I am so happy the director, Carl Franklin, didn't use the unnecessary "jumpy" visual effects in Quake's editing program that were so prevalent and distracting in Man on Fire.

I have seen this movie several times and although I have the DVD, I watch it whenever it appears on TV. Hope you enjoy the story, direction, music track, editing, and acting as much as I did.

Boring beginning and predictable twists but well played and entertaining

Author: kluseba from Gatineau, Canada
16 December 2010

I gave this movie a try because I think that Denzel Washington is a good actor and I wasn't disappointed by his performance though I think that John Billingsley gets the merit of the best performance in this movie as an alcoholic and somehow crazy partner and fried of Denzel Washington.

The beginning of the movie is very boring. There are some sex scenes and a lot of mediocre dialogues to introduce the main actors but when you have made it through the first twenty-five minutes or so the tension slowly rises. Denzel Washington realizes that he is the main suspect in a double homicide where all the hints lead to him as a police officer and chief of a small local police station in Florida. His lover, Sanaa Lathan who does a decent job and her brutal husband and football player Dean Cain got burned in their house just before she wanted to join Denzel Washington with a huge amount of money from a drug raid that he gave to her to be able to escape with her and fight her cancer illness. Eva Mendez is Denzel Washington's wife that wants to divorce with him and who has to investigate against him. And Denzel Washington tries to erase any proof that connects him to his lover and soon gets in trouble as he has to find the money that he illegally gave to the dead beauty and that strangely disappeared.

By the time, the tension slowly rises, Denzel Washington gets in some really disturbing and uneasy situations and there also some action that comes in and the main characters finally get more profound than before and the movie loosely touches topics like friendship, forgiveness, love, passion, lies and truth. You can finally connect with the characters and get caught by the movie.

The only negative thing is then that the twists are really predictable and offer nothing new or surprising. Of course, there is also the typical happy ending and every cliché you can think of is included in this movie. What really saves this film are the decent performances and the entertaining flow after the first twenty-five minutes or so that keep the tension and attention on a high level.

If you finally want to see a decent and entertaining thriller with some good acting I would recommend you this movie. But this is nothing groundbreaking and I would only recommend you to watch it on the television or loan a DVD but not to buy this movie.

This movie was OK but I think it had one to many energy drinks.

Author: triple8 from Conn
16 May 2005

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT:

Out Of Time is an unbelievably tension producing movie starring Denzel Washington as a police Chief in a small Florida Town who is framed for a murder. It's a decent movie, Definitely moderately involving with an atmosphere so highly charged the tension literally leaps off the screen sometimes. And the performances were all really good. But in spite of the positives, I didn't love this. Nor did I ever get as involved with the plot, as I'd have thought I would, with a movie such as this.

Part of the problem for me was, in fact the frantic pace. The movie was a perfect ten in some respects. It was atmospheric and moody at times, at others showcased scenes that took place in the hot sun with a beautiful Floridian backdrop. The atmosphere was spot on and the plot was actually interesting. But the movie's tension, for me, worked against it.

Almost every scene(actually scratch the almost-virtually every scene) was LEAPING with tension-and some of the plot twists were not only unrealistic but tiring as well. After awhile watching Denzel constantly trying to keep his involvement with Anne a secret got a bit much. Rather then the interesting plot being the movie's focus, we had Denzel changing phone records, running a lot etc etc. All the tension overshadowed the movie. "Relax", I wanted to yell at the screen several times. By the end of the movie one feels they just ran a marathon. But the plot should have played out quietly, moodily and realistically, because at the end for me, Out of Time, while being nowhere near dreadful, was just another thriller-instead of a really unforgettable and fascinating Noir which it could have been.

One thing I will mention was the acting which I though was pretty good, particularly Sanaa Lathan as Denzel's lover, who, in my opinion gave the best performance and commanded the most attention. She also had the best scene in the movie, her showdown with Denzel was truly well done and her character truly creepy. The end of Out Of Time was certainly involving but I can't say the rest of the movie was at the same level for the reasons mentioned above. My vote is 6.5 of 10. Lastly, check out the musical score, particularly at the end, man it makes one want to head to the beach with a margarita....

Good acting from Washington overcomes predictable story

Author: sjmcollins-1 from New Orleans
27 November 2004

(Spoilers) A good, tense performance from Denzel Washington and some nice, tight action sequences from director Carl Franklin help Out Of Time overcome a plot you can see unfolding 10 miles away. Washington is police chief of a very small town in south Florida, and juggles an affair with a married woman (overplayed a bit by Sanaa Lathan) and his about-to-be ex-wife Det. Alex (Eva Mendes). Washington's character makes some lapses in judgment that are ultimately well-intentioned but land him in hot water, and the movie comes alive as he tries to cover his footprints. The bulk of the movie takes place over 1 day, and the stress builds as Washington comes closer and closer to being caught. Most of the fun in the film is in watching Washington escape by the skin of his teeth in scene after scene, and really only one big action sequence is involved. Like I said, you kind of know how things are coming to a head way in advance, but Denzel helps push this into recommendable territory.

Predictable but fun

Author: Petros Rodakinias from Volos, Greece
19 July 2004

This is a short review since this movie is neither so good nor so bad as to make me want to write many things about it. It's an ok film, nothing special and it's the presence of Denzel Washington that keeps it in an above average level.

The story is mostly predictable, even though it's full of twists. It is also full of inconsistencies and relies heavily on coincidences for the story to keep going. On the plus side, most of the acting is great (Eva Mendes is unconvincing as a detective) and the direction, editing and music are all right.

This movie is nothing special -you wont be running to tell your friends about it- but it makes for a decent watch. It will entertain most people so I recommend it for a relaxing evening. I give it 6 out of 10.

Fairly entertaining but far fetched

Author: rosscinema (rosscinema@comcast.net) from Oceanside, Ca.
18 July 2004

This is one of those innocent man in trouble stories that Alfred Hitchcock use to make but even with all the plot contrivances this is still a pretty entertaining film that benefits from the star power of it's lead actor. Story takes place in Banyon Key, Florida where we see Police Chief Matt Whitlock (Denzel Washington) who is going through a divorce and having an affair with his high school sweetheart Ann Harrison (Sanaa Lathan) who is married. Ann's husband Chris (Dean Cain) suspects that Matt and his wife are seeing each other and they have many volatile confrontations. Ann is diagnosed with terminal cancer so Matt gives her $500,000 of impounded drug money from the stations safe and he plans on replacing it with the money from an insurance policy where Ann has named him as the benefactor.

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Suddenly Ann and Chris die in a fire and Matt's wife Alexandra (Eva Mendes) is the homicide detective put in charge and after trailing after her on her investigation he learns that Ann never had cancer and the doctor that handled her case is a phony. Also, the feds show up and want the impounded money so now Matt must play a cat and mouse game with both the feds and his wife. Alexandra doesn't suspect her Chief of Police husband but after a while the clues finally start to point to him.

This film is directed by Carl Franklin who has worked with Washington before on "Devil in a Blue Dress" and he's a good and capable director that always creates good atmosphere in his films and this is no exception. The hot and steamy location in Florida helps establish a tense momentum to the story and it definitely has a modern film noir feel to it. There are many things in the script that are just impossible to believe but it doesn't hamper the tension that is created by both Franklin and Washington. Mendes is unconvincing as both a homicide detective in charge and as the wife. The final scene in the film where she comes back to Washington is preposterous and you would think that after learning about all the wrong things that he has committed would just convince her that he is wrong to be around. But no, Hollywood just has to tack on one of those goofy feel good endings that defy logic! But this is still pretty entertaining and Washington's screen persona can make even the most silly of films watchable and one cannot help but root for him even though he bungles about making obvious bad decisions. Another good performance in the film comes from John Billingsley as the medical examiner Chae and we should all be so lucky as to have someone like him watching our backs. The highlight of the film is watching Washington sneak about trying to hide phone records and running out of back doors to beat his wife to the scene of investigations. Story is full of implausibilities and contrivances but with a good performance by Washington and solid direction by Franklin it's perfectly okay to overlook it's flaws and still be entertained.

All Denzel. All the Time

Author: P Carr (pavel@fan.com) from Topeka, KS
28 June 2004

In "Out of Time", Denzel Washington steps into another corrupt cop role, but one several notches mellower than his Oscar-winning turn in "Training Day". Instead of the harsh streets of Los Angeles, Denzel now roams the beaches of the Florida Keys, where he is the big fish in a small law enforcement pond. Unfortunately, one of the other fish is his soon-to-be-divorced wife and detective (Eva Mendes, despite a 20-year age difference)). Throw in his lover (Sanaa Lathan), her quarterback boyfriend (Dean Cain), some drug money, and an arson-murder, and you have all the fixings for a tropical crime thriller.

But this movie is all Denzel. In another good performance, he defines A-list star, because if he were replaced with anyone along the lines of the rest of the cast, it would practically be a B-movie. As it is, his powerhouse performance carries the flick. He could easily have been caught up in all of the insanity that ensues. But like his character, Denzel keeps his cool and lets his natural gravitas and imposing demeanor drive yet another movie.

But even Denzel can be hamstrung by a mediocre script. Faced with complex options galore, his character doesn't seem to make cop-like decisions, even for one with his shady record. I suppose that could be construed as part of his character, but his choices still occasionally seemed weak. That allows the suspension of disbelief to sometimes sag, which in turn detaches the viewer from the movie instead of sucking them into the thickening plot.

That is, if it's possible to really get into this flick. Perhaps influenced by the casual nature of its filming location (Miami, etc.), "Out of Time" proceeds so nonchalantly that you don't have to take it seriously. You can see the various twists and turns coming, and you don't have to think too much about them. It's like a great looking roller coaster that you cruise through at a leisurely speed. You have no complaints about watching the conventional movie, but you're not going to rush out to tell your friends either. In an extra, Denzel described the flick as simply a fun romp, which is a dead-on description.

Graeme Revell ("Daredevil", "Negotiator") provides the music, which adds to the easygoing style of the movie. With the Keys as a backdrop, Revell smartly opts for a tropical, percussive soundtrack that utilizes steel drums and the like, which is quite enjoyable for the ears. Nothing else technical is worth noting, except the look of the film, which is full of bright warm colors, which complements the heat (in different forms) being applied throughout the movie.

Most everything contributes to the straight-forward, relaxed style, and while the complementary nature is good, the subdued tone is bad, leaving the viewer content but emotionally unaffected.

Bottom Line: If you enjoy Denzel, then you'll enjoy this movie. 6/10 max.

Denzel Carries a Trite Plot

Author: Gary Murphy (glm@hilbertinc.com) from Olathe, KS, USA
17 February 2004

The plot for this movie sounded a little too "Hollywood" to be plausible, but Denzel Washington's strong cinematic charisma can often carry a movie. That is the case here.

The plot centers around Denzel Washington's character as a police officer who is the prime suspect in a murder. The plot hook is try and figure out who set him up. That was an easy task, so the movie was very anticlimactic. The movie also suffers from what I call "lazy writing". When a plot contains contrivances to create drama, my "Oh, come on!" meter gets pegged. There was more than a little of that here.

In spite of these shortcomings, the screen presence that Denzel brings to the film make it watchable none-the-less. If you don't go in with high expectations, this film should manage to keep you entertained.

Predictable but adequately suspenseful yarn

Author: clydestuff from United States
15 January 2004

This is one of those films that are better viewed if one has never seen the trailers or advertisements for it. In this day and age of hard sell, those kinds of things are tough to avoid. I can't really understand why studios find it necessary to give away so much of the plot surprises in the advertisements, but they do and we learn to live with it and go on.

If you have seen any of the trailers for Out of Time, you'll know whats going on long before Matt Whitlock (Denzel Washington)does. Whitlock is chief of police of a small and lazy Florida town that most of us wouldn't mind living in. He seems like a nice congenial type of guy, but for a chief of police, not a particularly bright one. Either that or he lets his hormones override his common sense which is a problem most men have encountered at one time or another. Matt is married to Alexandra (Eva Mendes)who has just been promoted to homicide detective but is filing for a divorce from Matt. Matt is having an affair with his high school sweetie Ann (Sanaa Lathan)who happens to be married to security guard Chris who apparently likes to use his wife for a punching bag. I'm sure you can see where some complications might arise from all this and arise they do. It seems that besides having an abusive husband Ann also is dying from cancer and needs treatment that she can't afford. Having recently made a drug bust that included a large sum of money, Matt is more than willing to use the tainted cash to give her a helping hand to save her life. Ann, also being an obliging kind of soul, in returns makes him beneficiary of a million dollar life insurance policy. This is just the setup folks so of course all this is going to lead to one big colossal mess. As films like this go, nothing is what it seems to be.

Chances are, if you are subject to any kind of rational thought process at all, you'll have to swallow hard and empty your head to buy into this crime caper. I know I had, to and it certainly helped me to enjoy the film for other reasons than the rickety plot surrounding it. First of all there's Denzel Washington. He makes us believe he could be a do gooder who could be suckered into some of the things going on here. Later, when (figuratively speaking sort of) he is caught with his pants down, he is absolutely intense as a man who is under the gun and trying to worm his way out of a very sticky situation. You'll be sweating right along with him. Eva Mendes is certainly an attractive alluring detective, which could explain why the costume designer of this film put her in such a tight skirt for about half the film, (distracting and not necessary). Yet, she exudes professionalism when she is on the job, and manages to show her concern and frustration in her relationship with Matt. Sanaa Lathan has a difficult job in her role. She must make us believe she is a certain kind of person in the beginning, and a totally different person at key points in the film. She does it very well. Dean Cain is certainly no Superman in Out of Time and you'll forget he ever wore the red, yellow and blue tights. He is menacing and sinister throughout and my have just made a new career for himself playing villains. John Billingsley plays Chae, Matt's friend and a goofy medical examiner. His main purpose in this film is to be just that, a goofy medical examiner who is required to show up at just the right moments.

It's not a bad film. You'll probably be able to predict most if not all of what is going to happen. It's done well, keeps the suspense going regardless and should serve as a reminder to all men to keep their hormones in check, whether it's an old high school flame or not.

My Grade C+