IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Old Film Noir plot??

Author: SceneByScene from United Kingdom
7 December 2006

This reminded me of an old Film Noir style plot.

Was this film a direct copy of any such plot, does anyone know?

Or was it just an 'homage' to that style of 1940s-ish Hollywood plot-line?

It was a good film and kept you thinking. Though had its flaws, as some of the details as why characters were doing what they did could have been filled out.

Denzel Washington nicely underplayed this role, with none of the histrionics a lesser actor could have used to portray the stress he was under (i.e. with his character under such pressure) - bubbling but not boiling over.

And it was good to see Dean Cain in a 'bad guy' role!!

~ Scene by Scene ~

so so, so?

Author: loydmooney-1 from United States
14 July 2006

Most thrillers do not play fair. Anybody can put a twist in a piece of fantasy. This one was no exception. Take the shootout with the woman the cop is playing around with: there is no reason to show her all worked up and scared of her brutal husband while the two are alone and waiting for the cop to arrive with the money (forgetting that he hardly has to bring her the money: what is he going to do with it, hand it over to her, and how did he wind up with it after jumping out of the.....)so they go on letting us believe right until the last moment with not a nod to reality that she is the victim of the rather stupid plot to begin with. And another bad movie is made. Oddly the scene where she shoots him is quite good,all kinds of decent levels to it, about the only thing in the film that made watching it worthwhile. In a way I almost thought I was enduring a really bad episode of Miami Vice.

Decent Movie with Strong Performances

Author: mwendel (mr.michael.wendel@gmail.com) from Kings Park, NY
25 January 2004

This is yet another cops and robbers whodunit movie. The movie features solid performances by Denzel Washington (as Matt Lee Whitlock) and Eva Menedes (as Alex Diaz Whitlock) playing the separated couple each working their own angle on the crime that occurs. With excellent supporting work by John Billingsley (as Chae, the medical examiner), Dean Cain (as Chris Harrison), and Sanaa Lathan (as Ann Merai Harrison) this movie keeps you guessing until the end.

There are some interesting plot twists at the end of the movie which you may or may not figure out by the end. I think the climax of the movie could have been a little more fluid, but it works and I think its satisfying to the viewers. I found this movie to be above average compared to much of the standard fare that has been offered in 2003, especially, because I didn't look at my watch once during the entire film.

Predictable, contrived plot!

Author: lori from new jersey
14 October 2003

I went to the theater expecting to see a somewhat decent movie based on the various reviews that were out. What I saw was a movie that has been made 1,000 times before. Unless you are very dense, the whole movie is given away in the first 15 minutes. It is so obvious as to what is going on and there is no suspense whatsoever!

This movie was just plain bad. Denzel really couldn't save this tired contrived plot!

It seemed like a good movie, but why do I feel like it's not that original?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
18 April 2006

I've seen tons and tons of the surprise shocking endings in films: The Sixth Sense, Life of David Gale, High Crimes, Kiss the Girls, etc., etc., etc. Out of Time over all is a decent thriller that you don't mind watching on a Monday night, but there are some unrealistic moments that I just didn't buy. The "love story" between Eva and Denzel wasn't clicking, they just didn't have any passion or chemistry that grabbed me. The sidekick type of guy was more annoying than witty and a character that makes you feel something. But there are some very exciting moments, and like I said, it keeps you going until the end. So, judge for yourself.

As generic as the title (**)

Author: Jason Alley (samurai1978@aol.com) from Sacramento
19 October 2003

Everything about this movie, like the trailer and even the title, seemed like it would be generic and mediocre. Then, I found out it was directed by Carl Franklin, who directed the sensational, gritty suspense indie "One False Move" back in 1992. Then, the reviews were generally pretty positive. So I thought hey, maybe it's not so generic and mediocre.

Guess what? It's generic and mediocre.

Denzel Washington plays a cop who gets a big fat con pulled on him and tries to right the situation. That's about it. If you've seen any episode of any cop show ever you can figure out what's going on and how it's going to end. Which would be fine if the particular situation was interesting, or if the characters were compelling, or even if it was just fast-paced, but it's none of those things.

Franklin directs with a smooth and steady hand as always, but it's too long and slow, and worst of all, just so ORDINARY. There's not anything here even remotely unique or surprising and I wasn't emotionally involved in the story at any time.

Franklin has never really followed up "One False Move" with anything as worthwhile, and unfortunately still hasn't.

Time's up

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
26 August 2013

Denzel Washington here gets to play the chief of police in Hicksville, Florida which means he can walk about in garish Hawaiian shirts, drink on duty and take time off for a little fantasy cop and victim routine with his new girl-friend. At police HQ, he's holding the substantial proceeds of a drugs bust in the office safe where we also learn his estranged wife works with him and has just been promoted to detective. Outside of work, we then see that his new girl-friend's husband mistreats her and of course that he and Denzel don't get on. When his girl-friend tells him she's suffering from terminal cancer and wants to make him her sole beneficiary of her million dollar life insurance, cutting out the husband, cue Denzel getting sucked, no make that suckered into risking his career to help her, with all the ingredients apparently in place for this particular would-be suspense movie to twist and turn its way to its violent but not too surprising conclusion.

The problem with the movie is that there is far too much going on. It lays on the exposition with a man-sized trowel, half the twists (and there are a few) are obvious in the main, with the confluence of the plot strands leading up to to the big finish as predictable as rain in Scotland.

Denzel's character shows a Holmes-like mind with his uncanny quick thinking in diverting attention from the police incriminating evidence arriving to the office by e-mail and then as if that wasn't enough he demonstrates superhuman physical prowess in managing the usual Hollywood trick of hanging out of a window by one-hand and then miraculously pulling himself up after the bad guy's come a cropper.

The film purports to be fast-paced and thrilling but in truth it's all over the place, with as I said, Washington's numerous escapes from danger defying belief and in the end I'm sure boring and confusing him as by the end he appears nonplussed by events occurring around him. Eva Mendes doesn't get much chance to shine either as the Chief's estranged wife.

With too little humour, a story-line borrowed from "Die Hard" crossed with "Hawaii 5-0", this movie fails to make a big impression and it doesn't help that the lead actors barely engage with the storyline either.

This movie was OK but I think it had one to many energy drinks.

Author: triple8 from Conn
16 May 2005

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT:

Out Of Time is an unbelievably tension producing movie starring Denzel Washington as a police Chief in a small Florida Town who is framed for a murder. It's a decent movie, Definitely moderately involving with an atmosphere so highly charged the tension literally leaps off the screen sometimes. And the performances were all really good. But in spite of the positives, I didn't love this. Nor did I ever get as involved with the plot, as I'd have thought I would, with a movie such as this.

Part of the problem for me was, in fact the frantic pace. The movie was a perfect ten in some respects. It was atmospheric and moody at times, at others showcased scenes that took place in the hot sun with a beautiful Floridian backdrop. The atmosphere was spot on and the plot was actually interesting. But the movie's tension, for me, worked against it.

Almost every scene(actually scratch the almost-virtually every scene) was LEAPING with tension-and some of the plot twists were not only unrealistic but tiring as well. After awhile watching Denzel constantly trying to keep his involvement with Anne a secret got a bit much. Rather then the interesting plot being the movie's focus, we had Denzel changing phone records, running a lot etc etc. All the tension overshadowed the movie. "Relax", I wanted to yell at the screen several times. By the end of the movie one feels they just ran a marathon. But the plot should have played out quietly, moodily and realistically, because at the end for me, Out of Time, while being nowhere near dreadful, was just another thriller-instead of a really unforgettable and fascinating Noir which it could have been.

One thing I will mention was the acting which I though was pretty good, particularly Sanaa Lathan as Denzel's lover, who, in my opinion gave the best performance and commanded the most attention. She also had the best scene in the movie, her showdown with Denzel was truly well done and her character truly creepy. The end of Out Of Time was certainly involving but I can't say the rest of the movie was at the same level for the reasons mentioned above. My vote is 6.5 of 10. Lastly, check out the musical score, particularly at the end, man it makes one want to head to the beach with a margarita....

Good acting from Washington overcomes predictable story

Author: sjmcollins-1 from New Orleans
27 November 2004

(Spoilers) A good, tense performance from Denzel Washington and some nice, tight action sequences from director Carl Franklin help Out Of Time overcome a plot you can see unfolding 10 miles away. Washington is police chief of a very small town in south Florida, and juggles an affair with a married woman (overplayed a bit by Sanaa Lathan) and his about-to-be ex-wife Det. Alex (Eva Mendes). Washington's character makes some lapses in judgment that are ultimately well-intentioned but land him in hot water, and the movie comes alive as he tries to cover his footprints. The bulk of the movie takes place over 1 day, and the stress builds as Washington comes closer and closer to being caught. Most of the fun in the film is in watching Washington escape by the skin of his teeth in scene after scene, and really only one big action sequence is involved. Like I said, you kind of know how things are coming to a head way in advance, but Denzel helps push this into recommendable territory.

Predictable but fun

Author: Petros Rodakinias from Volos, Greece
19 July 2004

This is a short review since this movie is neither so good nor so bad as to make me want to write many things about it. It's an ok film, nothing special and it's the presence of Denzel Washington that keeps it in an above average level.

The story is mostly predictable, even though it's full of twists. It is also full of inconsistencies and relies heavily on coincidences for the story to keep going. On the plus side, most of the acting is great (Eva Mendes is unconvincing as a detective) and the direction, editing and music are all right.

This movie is nothing special -you wont be running to tell your friends about it- but it makes for a decent watch. It will entertain most people so I recommend it for a relaxing evening. I give it 6 out of 10.