IMDb > Out of Time (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Time

Out of Time More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

so so, so?

Author: loydmooney-1 from United States
14 July 2006

Most thrillers do not play fair. Anybody can put a twist in a piece of fantasy. This one was no exception. Take the shootout with the woman the cop is playing around with: there is no reason to show her all worked up and scared of her brutal husband while the two are alone and waiting for the cop to arrive with the money (forgetting that he hardly has to bring her the money: what is he going to do with it, hand it over to her, and how did he wind up with it after jumping out of the.....)so they go on letting us believe right until the last moment with not a nod to reality that she is the victim of the rather stupid plot to begin with. And another bad movie is made. Oddly the scene where she shoots him is quite good,all kinds of decent levels to it, about the only thing in the film that made watching it worthwhile. In a way I almost thought I was enduring a really bad episode of Miami Vice.

Decent Movie with Strong Performances

Author: mwendel (mr.michael.wendel@gmail.com) from Kings Park, NY
25 January 2004

This is yet another cops and robbers whodunit movie. The movie features solid performances by Denzel Washington (as Matt Lee Whitlock) and Eva Menedes (as Alex Diaz Whitlock) playing the separated couple each working their own angle on the crime that occurs. With excellent supporting work by John Billingsley (as Chae, the medical examiner), Dean Cain (as Chris Harrison), and Sanaa Lathan (as Ann Merai Harrison) this movie keeps you guessing until the end.

There are some interesting plot twists at the end of the movie which you may or may not figure out by the end. I think the climax of the movie could have been a little more fluid, but it works and I think its satisfying to the viewers. I found this movie to be above average compared to much of the standard fare that has been offered in 2003, especially, because I didn't look at my watch once during the entire film.

Predictable, contrived plot!

Author: lori from new jersey
14 October 2003

I went to the theater expecting to see a somewhat decent movie based on the various reviews that were out. What I saw was a movie that has been made 1,000 times before. Unless you are very dense, the whole movie is given away in the first 15 minutes. It is so obvious as to what is going on and there is no suspense whatsoever!

This movie was just plain bad. Denzel really couldn't save this tired contrived plot!

It seemed like a good movie, but why do I feel like it's not that original?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
18 April 2006

I've seen tons and tons of the surprise shocking endings in films: The Sixth Sense, Life of David Gale, High Crimes, Kiss the Girls, etc., etc., etc. Out of Time over all is a decent thriller that you don't mind watching on a Monday night, but there are some unrealistic moments that I just didn't buy. The "love story" between Eva and Denzel wasn't clicking, they just didn't have any passion or chemistry that grabbed me. The sidekick type of guy was more annoying than witty and a character that makes you feel something. But there are some very exciting moments, and like I said, it keeps you going until the end. So, judge for yourself.

Intrigue and suspense movie with Denzel Washington's good interpretation

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
8 February 2005

The film deals with a police chief (Denzel) who is trapped in a cobweb of offenses and he'll have to free himself of a net of strange events that's caught . He is separated his wife (Eva Mendes) and he has a lover (Sanaa Latham) married to Dean Cain . From the beginning to finish intrigue and frenetic action is continued and unstoppable . The picture mingles emotion , suspense , thriller , drama and is very amusing for the mystery and tension along whole runtime film . As the runtime is about two hours , it is adjusted and neither boring , nor dreary but entertaining because being fast moving and happen many events .

The motion picture obtained enough success around the world , in United States was a number one in box office . The film plot is pretty twisted and the end has an extraordinary surprise . The final confrontation amongst the protagonist and the contenders is thrilling and exciting . Denzel Washington acting is top-notch , he has got much experience in twenty and some years of career , Eva Mendes is enjoyable and enticing and Sanaa Latham ready as future first star in ¨Alien vs Predator¨ , Dean Cain (ex Superman) gives a different role to usual . Carl Franklin direction is excellent , he creates enough tension . TheoVan Sande cinematography and Graheme Revell music is atmospheric . The picture has been rated as +16 years because there is violence and cruel murders ; however , being apt +14 with parents guide . The flick will appeal to suspense and thriller movies buffs . Rating: Good . Well catching.

As generic as the title (**)

Author: Jason Alley (samurai1978@aol.com) from Sacramento
19 October 2003

Everything about this movie, like the trailer and even the title, seemed like it would be generic and mediocre. Then, I found out it was directed by Carl Franklin, who directed the sensational, gritty suspense indie "One False Move" back in 1992. Then, the reviews were generally pretty positive. So I thought hey, maybe it's not so generic and mediocre.

Guess what? It's generic and mediocre.

Denzel Washington plays a cop who gets a big fat con pulled on him and tries to right the situation. That's about it. If you've seen any episode of any cop show ever you can figure out what's going on and how it's going to end. Which would be fine if the particular situation was interesting, or if the characters were compelling, or even if it was just fast-paced, but it's none of those things.

Franklin directs with a smooth and steady hand as always, but it's too long and slow, and worst of all, just so ORDINARY. There's not anything here even remotely unique or surprising and I wasn't emotionally involved in the story at any time.

Franklin has never really followed up "One False Move" with anything as worthwhile, and unfortunately still hasn't.

I cannot understand the low score - Very good film

Author: Cheesus Toast
24 April 2015

I picked this film out because I tend to find Denzel Washington films to be of high quality. I saw the fairly average score but thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

I was definitely not let down! At points it may seem a little unrealistic but it real enough (taking into account the story teller's right to stretch reality) to be believed.

Denzel is brilliant as usual with his economic style of acting. He does not over dramatize which is something I find intriguing. There were tense moments that were very well played out and comic moments that were carefully inserted. The comic scenes mostly come from John Billingsley who is one of my favorite actors from Star Trek.

I am surprised that it has gained such a low score because I found the quality exceptionally good. I am trying to find fault in it to justify why people would rate it so low but I cannot think of many. Maybe some of the comic scenes were a bit cheesy!? This was a gem of a movie and well worth my time.

Great hot noir style

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 February 2014

Matt Lee Whitlock (Denzel Washington) is the police chief of Florida small town Banyan Key. He just cracked a big drug case confiscating $450k. He's getting divorced from fellow police officer Alex (Eva Mendes) and having an affair with Anne Merai Harrison (Sanaa Lathan) who is separated from violent husband Chris (Dean Cain). Anne has just been diagnosed with cancer, and Matt takes the $450k for Anne's treatment. However, the money, Anne and Chris all burnt up in a suspicious fire.

This has a great noir sweaty style. Matt's questionable morality is interesting. I prefer his problems be forced upon him. However most of his problems are self-inflicted by his lack of judgment. There is a lot of things that needs to be overlook in this movie. While I like the style, the story needs a little help.

Watch it for Denzel

Author: sudarsan karki (sudsmania) from Nepal
16 October 2013

Are you a fan of Denzel Washington? Yes? Then this is your movie! You've got Denzel at one of his best performances playing the role of the Chief of a Police Department.

The plot of this movie is quite simple. But the events that occur within are what makes this movie outstanding. The movie has been presented so meticulously- it just keeps you waiting for 'what next?'

Denzel Washington is probably the best character to have done justice to the role. Eva Mendes is as stunning as usual. The character 'Chae' is quite cool too. All in all, this movie is awesome! I just can't imagine any other character than Denzel!!

Heart stopping Thriller but after first 35 minutes

Author: sankhan99 from Pakistan
8 October 2013

I believe in short reviews.

Its a treat. If you survive first 35 minutes then you are on joy ride in front row of roller coaster. Its written very well. Director has done great job but after first 35 minutes. But in first 35 minutes, I think they have wasted much time in trying to build story and if you are watching this movie like me on DVD, you will be cursing yourself and thinking about ejecting DVD at any minute. Thats one weak point of-course in my point of view.

Denzel is great actor and he acted very well. Eva was good but Sanaa Lathan was OK. Last but not the least "John Billingsley", he justified his role.

Last words, very gripping, heart throbbing and intense thriller and you will not feel like "Out of time" while watching this movie.