IMDb > Barbie as Rapunzel (2002) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Barbie as Rapunzel

Barbie as Rapunzel (V) More at IMDbPro »

Engaging, tasteful story encourages creativity, tops Disney

Author: DrGrood from Planet Ergro
20 December 2002

The worst thing about this video is its cover, which looks stiff, commercial and artificial. What's inside, however, is a very well done original take on a little-dramatized but familiar fairy tale that entertains without overdoing or offending and has an extremely positive subtext. You can tell it's got its heart in the right place, when at the very beginning in an introductory sequence Barbie, at an easel, encourages her little sister to paint what she wants and express herself rather than telling her what to do. Rapunzel, not immature in this version of the story, though sheltered, also paints when she can to pass the time between chores, and unlike Disney's Little Mermaid, doesn't feel the need to forego developing her talent and creativity to chase handsome princes. She discovers and explores her world while always trying, though not usually successfully, to keep peace with her unreasonably demanding and jealous stepmother, whose voice is effectively performed by Angelica Huston, and with feuding royalty in two neighboring kingdoms. The impossible-to-dramatize plot elements of the original fairy tale have been replaced by effective new characters and story ideas, which keep the presentation from being all decoration without substance, and though Rapunzel's baby dragon friend may be somewhat distractingly big and purple, her own sub-plot does work into the main story well and add interest when we are introduced to her grown up dragon father, the guardian of the tower. Choices made in good taste are all over this DVD, which is refreshingly free of Disney-style smartass humor and sell-out scripting. The original music is nice and very underplayed--Barbie could easily have been made to burst into song at any time here, but wisely the producers just let the perfectly decent story stand on its own instead of trying to make it into a Broadway musical. The whole package here is pretty, original, pleasantly presented, and encourages self-expression without pandering or being heavy handed about its message at all. From start to finish it is refreshing, interesting and positive. Only the packaging is corny, but even the doll it cross-promotes is as pleasant-looking as the movie. Highly recommended for the little girl in the family.

Suprisingly well-done Barbie fluff...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
19 October 2002

1st watched 10/19/2002 - 6 out of 10(Dir-Owen Hurley): Surprisingly well-done Barbie fluff. What impressed me the most about this made-for-video computer animated movie was the obvious time and attention that was put into the story, animation, and character development despite the usual bland Barbie stuff created by Mattel. The animation isn't intended to make you forget that it's animation because we're watching a `doll' in action, not a person(and this is okay). They basically took the Rapunzel character and crafted an entirely different movie than what's in the original book. There is a formidable enemy(voice played by Anjelica Huston), and endearing characters who are Rapunzel's friends(a talking rabbit and a young dragon), as well as a few others who all are done well. There are two very good songs that accompany the movie(although it doesn't try to be a musical), and the usual fairy-tale ending that will please young and those who are young at heart. The bottom line here is that this was a very big surprise to me. I enjoyed this movie from beginning to end, which I believe even those who don't carry the dolls around with us will enjoy this right alongside those younger-folk who do still meddle with them.

Surprisingly good

Author: Cory Myer
23 July 2008

I am in my 30s and am a father of 3 little girls so I have to watch movies like this. I was surprised that this movie was quite good, and the best of the Barbie movies (most of which are likewise good!). This is no Care Bears or My Little Ponies movie. I can actually watch this movie with my kids and not be bored or repulsed. It has an interesting plot, good character development, and good morals, and even a little exciting.

This is not Pixar stuff, but for a straight-to-video release I am pleased that they took some pride in their work and made a good product with what little budget they probably had.

Better than Barbie in the Nutcracker.

Author: roxy_callme from P.R.
12 April 2004

I am a big Barbie fan so I'm starting my Barbie movie collection.The first one,featuring the Nutcracker was a bit bland in the dialogue but, Rapunzel surprised me a lot.Kelly Sheridan reprises her voice role as Barbie(WARNING READERS,spoilers ahead)playing Rapunzel, an artist who is locked inside a tower by the evil Gothel.In there,she uses a magic paintbrush to go outside with the help of Penelope the dragon and Hobie the rabbit.Well,that's enough I can tell about the plot. The message I caught in the story to me was that if you live a lie for too long, you will be trapped forever. That's what happened to Gothel at the end for abusing too much of her power,for kidnapping Rapunzel and blaming it on Stefan's kingdom to cause a war.

The animation in the movie is very pretty with the painting opening title. I also liked the scene of Rapunzel painting herself on some gowns for the ball with the vocalizing music score.The two dragons in Rapunzel were the coolest characters:Penelope(voice of Cree Summer)is really cute and adorable, with her funny lines,she steals the show. However the father dragon Hugo(voiced by David Kaye from X-men:Evolution)resembles the other dragons I saw in movies and video games like:Shrek,Dragonheart,and the Spyro games.The happy ending was well anticipated.Anjelica Huston did an excellent portrayal of the witch,very much like her other character she played in Ever After:A Cinderella Story(1998).

Anyway,I enjoyed the DVD movie with my sister.We also bought the toy line from Rapunzel for the collection.Next time it's Barbie in Swan Lake and The Princess and the Pauper to be released.

Comparisons between Barbie and Tangled rapounzel

Author: greekdx
28 March 2013

Having watched both movies I make here comparison between both movies fist setting some names for simplicity: tangpuzel and barbpuzel , Tang-thel for tangled and barthel for barbie's goethel

Tangpuzel 's hair is very lengthy and healing and also capable for …..other uses . barpuzel is just long

Barpuzel is a painter. Tangpouzel is more ordinary girl Barpuzel is very chic . Tangpuzel is cute funny and little crazy (and I think more dynamic)

Barthel has magical capabilities . Tangthel is ordinary Barthel is a bad woman . Tngthel is more sweet and quite brainwashing (just: seems a good mother ) Barthel is enclaved . Tangthel dies

Barbie's movie has a lot of magic (so I dis-recommend for younger girls ). Tangled has a lot of action.

GCI of tangled is better than Barbie's

I think that Barbie's movie insults more than the very loosely adaptation of tangled of the original story of Brother Grimm

Not as good as Nutcracker but better than expected

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 March 2009

The best Barbie movie, and most underrated, is Barbie in the Nutcracker. I loved the music, the story, the animation, the dialogue and the voice-talents. Barbie as Rapunzel is actually not bad at all, but I much prefer Nutcracker. The animation is very good, and the music by Dvorak (New world symphony) was lovely, but I didn't like the added music as much. The opening credits and the making of the dress were wonderful. The voice talents were excellent, especially from the immensely Angelica Huston as Gothel. Kelly Sheridan is lovely too, but Cree Summer brilliantly voices Penelope, the best character, who is misjudged by her father, who doesn't share her love. I also loved Otto and Hobie. The story was very good too(i loved the painting idea), however I didn't think the Prince was sincere enough, unlike Prince Eric in Nutcracker. In conclusion, a nice movie, but not the best. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Beautiful, inspirational

Author: Jacob Drunk from United States
2 June 2013

The first time I watched this movie I cried. As the king told Rapunzel that he was her father, my heart leaped out of my chest and danced. I did enjoy Disney's version of this lovable tale, "Tangled" was it? However, Barbie's performance in this film was worthy of an Oscar. It was quite phenomenal to say the least. The set design and also the costumes were quite remarkable. When my daughter showed me this the first time, I must say I was speechless. The direction was outstanding as well as the rest of the actors. Even the extras were better than ones in other movies. I can't believe that this movie didn't receive the attention it deserved. I applaud the entire crew as well as the cast. Barbie, Ken, all of them. My hats off to you. Well done. Keep up this amazing work. (Better than Steven Spielberg)

OK movie

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
9 November 2010

OK I have recorded this on VHS and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.

The story is about Rapunzel who is locked away in an enchanted tower guarded by an evil queen who doesn't want her to get out. Of course she spots a secret passage in her room (thanks to a magic painting brush) and while she is there she meets a handsome prince and you can probably guess the rest for yourselves.

I liked the story but the beginning of the movie was so dull and depressing and that ending is bloody awful as it isn't quite as what I expected.

If you have heard there is a movie called Tangled from Disney and i'd say it will be better than this one. My advice is to watch something else other than this one.

Barbie as Repunzel may not be the most appealing film of the century, but alas, it is still worth watching

Author: Lizzie (kingforadayinaleatherthong@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
6 November 2005

This remake of the classic story Repunzel, is perhaps not to everyones liking. For young girls this would greatly appeal but as for the older generation it may not be a film you would purposely watch. I however did, i also decided to look deeper into the meaning behind the film, which may seem practically impossible as the main character is a blonde doll.

When you've had a hard day at work, school or in the home you choose to look for things to help you escape reality. Some choose soap operas, some choose music, some choose cigarettes or alcohol and some choose films.

Barbie as Repunzel is the ultimate escape from reality. Most films are not based on reality. The idea of a film is to take you some where else mentally and emotionally.

Barbie as Repunzel may seem to be just a girlie CGI film, but if it was based on reality the idea and outcome would be totally different. The idea of happily ever after is non-existent. It's impossible to go through life so pure and 'perfect.' Barbie is the modern girls icon, which may depress many because in reality Barbie would just fall over due to the small feet and over-sized chest.

Barbie as Repunzel is based on a young girl being locked in a tower, finding a prince who saves her and living happily ever after. If it was a realistic film, it would seem quite a paedophilia thing that she's kept in a tower by a strange woman and the magic in the film would not exist in reality, so the chances are Barbie/Repunzel would never escape, be used as a slave and then die in the tower she lives in.

But Barbie as Repunzel is not based on reality, not many films are. If you want a totally unrealistic, imaginative and surreal escape from reality, this is the film for you.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to spend 2 hours watching Barbie.

Not too bad if you're 2

Author: alice917
27 January 2003

My 2 year old daughter loves this movie. I find it hard to sit through, with numerous plot holes and terrible dialogue, not to mention annoying animation. However, it's (almost) completely nonviolent and has a pretty good message. My daughter particularly likes the dragon character, Penelope. Overall, a pretty good kids movie, if not cutting edge.